AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2014-07-05, 10:01   Link #61
Arya

I also don't see Buddy Complex as a watered down version of Gundam Seed. A romance with mecha could fit better, yea.

If I think about Triple_r statement about mecha series being as fun and flashy as possible, looking back I have to agree with him. Following this logic Gundam Seed stays among those series that are as fun and flashy as possible in my book, instead Buddy Complex lies among the as plausible/consistent as possible (more or less). The former definition doesn't imply that the show has to be a success, in my personal list together with GS I'll add Valvrave, Guilty Crown and Code Geass. In the latter, well, I don't know, maybe Gundam 00, and Argevollen seems to fit so far, but let's see how it will progress.
Kawamori's mecha's stay in a third and isolate one set. Can't say anything about MJP because I didn't like it. Obviously everything is related to each one personal experience, tastes and enjoyment.
But back to BC in the end I think that associate it, in any ways, to GS I guess could generate the wrong expectations.

Oh, count me among those who liked the slowness of the mecha. It somehow implied that we were at the down of the mecha technological era, or just after that. And even that maybe our crew had been equipped with an old-fashioned armament, furthering their status of black sheep . Well, at least until the piloted-by-thought mecha appeared.

The meaning of things lies not in the things themselves, but in our attitude towards them.
Arya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-07-05, 10:10   Link #62
Obelisk ze Tormentor
Black Steel Knight

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arya View Post
Well, at least until the piloted-by-thought mecha appeared.
And this aspect really reminds me of the first time Sousoke Sagara piloting Arbalest and made a force field and doing Kamehameha using his thought . Don’t tell me Argevollen has Lambda Driver installed .
Old 2014-07-05, 10:40   Link #63
Irenesharda

Quote:
Originally Posted by Obelisk ze Tormentor View Post
Just watched the first episode, yeah a not-so-big wall is a very effective defense against giant mechas .

Also, the Wright Brothers did not exist in this universe, did they? Where’s the air backup or at least air surveillance?

Actually, except for the exoskeletons suits & walkers, The 08th Mobile Suit Team pretty much already shown what you wanted to see above, which is ironic, because it's a Gundam show .

I think a “watered down Gundam SEED” is both an overstatement & understatement for Buddy Complex. That series is actually a love story with time travel, mecha, & brothers-in-arms elements thrown in it. Since BC only granted 13 episodes, it’s focusing more on romance & bromance than anything else.
I think I only watched two episodes of Buddy Complex, so I don't really know how it ended up. I do intend to catch up since I hear it will have a sequel. I saw the Gundam Seed influences even then, but if its going to just be about the romance, which is one genre I don't think mecha can do very well, I might just leave it alone.

The wall thing, is something a lot of people have brought up. That is not a very large wall, especially for a civilization that has created mechs. You're telling me no one has crossed that thing? The actual Great Wall of China looks bigger than that.

And the Great Wall of China only worked at it's time because their enemies didn't have access to aircraft. So you're telling me this society that has mechs, tanks, cars, and even super mechs that can be controlled by thought. But not one person came up with an idea for air travel? Not one hot-air balloon, dirigible, blimp, zeppelin, or even a simple plane? Any of these things can get them over that tiny wall. Yet no one ever breached that wall in centuries until then?

- Major Kyosuke Hyobu
Irenesharda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-07-05, 10:56   Link #64
Benigmatica
Deadpan Rambler

Send a message via Yahoo to Benigmatica
You know, it seems that Ryota Ohsaka is becoming the lead actor recently, especially in meha anime.

Still, let's hope that Argovollen won't become an almost-trainwreck like Valvrave. I mean, I like how the Trail Kreigers move aside from the titular mecha.
Benigmatica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-07-05, 11:05   Link #65
Obelisk ze Tormentor
Black Steel Knight

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irenesharda View Post
The wall thing, is something a lot of people have brought up. That is not a very large wall, especially for a civilization that has created mechs. You're telling me no one has crossed that thing? The actual Great Wall of China looks bigger than that.

And the Great Wall of China only worked at it's time because their enemies didn't have access to aircraft. So you're telling me this society that has mechs, tanks, cars, and even super mechs that can be controlled by thought. But not one person came up with an idea for air travel? Not one hot-air balloon, dirigible, blimp, zeppelin, or even a simple plane? Any of these things can get them over that tiny wall. Yet no one ever breached that wall in centuries until then?
Exactly my thought.

It's either a giant plot-hole/logic-lapse or they will provide good explanation on it in the upcoming episodes. I hope it's the latter rather than the former.
Old 2014-07-05, 12:08   Link #66
DevilHighDxD
Zero Two Best waifu 2018

Quote:
And the Great Wall of China only worked at it's time because their enemies didn't have access to aircraft.
Is that suppose to be a joke?
Because as a Han Chinese I can tell you that "Wall" never worked and our first Emperor wasted a one-third of Qin's population to built that "Wall" only for modern Chinese to registered it as a World Heritage Site.
Old 2014-07-05, 12:20   Link #67
AntonKutovoi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benigmatica View Post
You know, it seems that Ryota Ohsaka is becoming the lead actor recently, especially in meha anime.

Still, let's hope that Argovollen won't become an almost-trainwreck like Valvrave. I mean, I like how the Trail Kreigers move aside from the titular mecha.
You know, 90% of his characters are main leads Though yeah, he seem to be moving into mecha genre recently.
AntonKutovoi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-07-05, 12:23   Link #68
Irenesharda

Quote:
Originally Posted by DevilHighDxD View Post
Is that suppose to be a joke?
Because as a Han Chinese I can tell you that "Wall" never worked and our first Emperor wasted a one-third of Qin's population to built that "Wall" only for modern Chinese to registered it as a World Heritage Site.
Oh, sorry. I know little to nothing about the wall or Chinese history, other than what I learned in my year of learning Mandarin and what I could from presented popular culture. But I assumed the Great Wall at least served as a little bit of a deterrent?

At least it looks to be a bigger obstacle to face than the one that Arandas put up.

- Major Kyosuke Hyobu
Old 2014-07-05, 12:29   Link #69
DevilHighDxD
Zero Two Best waifu 2018

Quote:
Oh, sorry. I know little to nothing about the wall or Chinese history, other than what I learned in my year of learning Mandarin and what I could from presented popular culture. But I assumed the Great Wall at least served as a little bit of a deterrent?

At least it looks to be a bigger obstacle to face than the one that Arandas put up.
Oh I was just being sarcastic, no need to apologize.
Old 2014-07-05, 15:48   Link #70
felix
sleepyhead
*Author

Pilot is kind of annoying moron, battle was... well its almost as if the enemy forces were desperately trying to kill themselves but the main guy was getting in the way.

Probably bad that I looked into this after Aldnoah Zero.
Old 2014-07-05, 17:08   Link #71
MgMaster

I really need to watch this Gundam 08th Team I keep hearing about.
MgMaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-07-05, 17:16   Link #72
Irenesharda

Quote:
Originally Posted by MgMaster View Post
I really need to watch this Gundam 08th Team I keep hearing about.
It's okay, it's really an acquired taste. I thought it was alright, but it wasn't really my thing. If you like the whole group, military aspect of this series, then by all means, you'll probably love 08th Team.

- Major Kyosuke Hyobu
Old 2014-07-05, 20:09   Link #73
Haak
Me, An Intellectual

This actually does remind me of Buddy Complex: Typical plot lines competently executed. Although at least Buddy Complex had a few unique features. This one was pretty much generic as hell. And unfortunately its decision to focus only on the generic plot meant avoiding other areas that they could've focused on to give the show more personality. The characters weren't particularly great and the Captain Obvious Aesop (War is bad!) was fairly ham-handed.

It was an okay premiere but just unremarkable.
Haak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-07-05, 20:53   Link #74
OkamiNoKaze

The setting and battles gave me MS 8th Unit vibe as well, at least the characters themselves complained about how slow the mechs were.
Old 2014-07-07, 06:55   Link #75
AkuAkane
Gambling Princess

Seems pretty generic so far. Interested to see more of the blonde girl in the purple suit, but otherwise not much driving me to watch this. Not bad, but not good. I'll just have to see where it goes. I was pretty disappointed when the blonde girl transporting the suit didn't pilot it herself; would have been a nice badass female character moment, but I suppose I was hoping for too much.
Old 2014-07-07, 14:55   Link #76
Top Sergeant

The Unit Commander and the other Soldiers in their Company make me want to follow this anime far more than the idiot main character.

I'll give it a few more views, certainly.
Top Sergeant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-07-07, 15:26   Link #77
felix
sleepyhead
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Top Sergeant View Post
The Unit Commander and the other Soldiers in their Company make me want to follow this anime far more than the idiot main character.

I'll give it a few more views, certainly.
Uhm yeah, the main characters (since gotta give the female scientist lead credit for sucking where credit is due) subtracted so much from the show censoring the scenes with them would practically increase the enjoyment.

They are somewhat like ideal "anti-protagonist." A character so detached from the viewer (in this case both by power of Stupid²), and everyone else in the series for what it's worth, that they act as a negative on anything the viewer might naturally sync to (eg. military, mecha, humanity ) and take the viewer out of the scene. I won't say they kill the immersion since the world, at least for now, is so bland I can't really blame two characters for that... oh except the way they messed any vibe/climax in the last battle, totally their suckiness powering up there.

On a positive note, the other members of the squad are "okey" (maybe even better then okey, but not much characterization yet), some of the young superior officers characters are "okey", and the "losing battle" idea is okey.
Old 2014-07-08, 17:25   Link #78
GN0010 Nosferatu
Where's the monoeye?

Ya know, I'm sure they have aircraft in this series. For whatever reason, they just weren't featured. It's a hell of a stretch for tech in this series to spawn mecha, and not simple flying vehicles. Most likely just an oversight. Or something in this series' world that doesn't allow for them.
GN0010 Nosferatu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-07-08, 17:35   Link #79
Dauerlutscher
Marauder Shields

It's the first episode and I found it interesting. It's not like other Mecha Anmie are not cliche-ridden and don't have some logic holes. Who knows, maybe the story and characters are interesting? I will give it a chance.
Dauerlutscher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-07-08, 17:42   Link #80
FlareKnight
User of the "Fast Draw"

Send a message via AIM to FlareKnight Send a message via MSN to FlareKnight
Well somehow I missed the first episode for this show. Will give it a few episodes and see how things unfold. One good thing about a new season is that there are plenty of options to find interesting series .

Not a first episode that wowed me, but will see.
Quote:
I think I only watched two episodes of Buddy Complex, so I don't really know how it ended up. I do intend to catch up since I hear it will have a sequel. I saw the Gundam Seed influences even then, but if its going to just be about the romance, which is one genre I don't think mecha can do very well, I might just leave it alone.

Just touching on the Buddy Complex side of things, certainly feel that show got a weaker reception than it deserved. Certainly took aspects of various shows (and definitely some Seed cliches), but did it just fine. The romance angle in my view was done right and certainly worked better than in some other series.

Though I honestly think it sunk it's popularity with poorly picked terminology. Someone in the planning department missed the mark there.

And yeah while walls seem like a great idea, they have a few weak spots...like not being able to do much about air travel . Kind of wondering how they will clear up that angle.

Tags
mecha