AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > Video Games

Notices

Old 2012-03-14, 23:33   Link #2301
SoldierOfDarkness
The Dark Knight

Location: From the deepest abyss in the world, where you think?
You know I was wondering why Shepard didn't asked why the Catalyst looked like the child that was gunned down by the Reapers.

But even if that was the case and there's an ending DLC coming out....why? The ending pissed off so many people and given that consoles form a large part of the revenue a lot of them have already given them back from what I hear.
SoldierOfDarkness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-03-14, 23:39   Link #2302
DarkWarrior
Anaheim Electronics

Hahaha, oh wow. Spent awhile trying to figure out how to chat in multiplayer, only to realize that Bioware didn't even bother to put that feature in.

The disappointments seem to keep stacking up for me.
DarkWarrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-03-15, 00:02   Link #2303
Imako
Known Cyberbully
*Fansubber

Just finished ME3 last night. I really hope "The Truth" thing is correct because the endings on the disc completely blew.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vallen Chaos Valiant View Post
Because it would mean they literally shipped an incomplete game. That is unethical.
I don't quite see what's so unethical about including the "real" ending(s) in a hypothetical DLC that, might I add, is completely free. The only way it would be "unethical" (or at least very annoying) would be if they charged you for it.
Imako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-03-15, 00:12   Link #2304
Shimapan
Try me! <3

A very fitting and well written article about the abysmal ending of ME 3 can be found here:
http://www.gamefront.com/mass-effect...ans-are-right/

I'll just quote what I wrote there:

Quote:
Originally Posted by myself
Great article, very well written.
This neatly shows up all the things that are so seriously wrong with the ending (yes, no plural, as it's essentially always the same, just with differently coloured explosions).

After they spent so much effort, creating three very complex games, they throw it all away: no choices, no consequences to whatever you did for the ending, no morality, no unity and harmony, no sense, no whatever.

With this abysmal quick hackjob of an ending, they're essentially showing a big "F*** you" finger to everyone.

The ending is probably one of the biggest and nastiest trollings in gaming history. Oh, and did you know that after the ending, after it pesters you "go buy the download content or else", there's another video that goes like this:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xD1pSwdUb7k
Old 2012-03-15, 00:17   Link #2305
FlareKnight
User of the "Fast Draw"

Send a message via AIM to FlareKnight Send a message via MSN to FlareKnight
Quote:
Originally Posted by synaesthetic View Post
The more I think about it, the more I believe the "indoctrination theory" is correct. The ending makes so little sense it can't be anything but intentional.

I'm not giving Bioware a pass here, though. If the indoctrination theory is correct, then Mass Effect 3 was released with no ending. If the indoctrination theory is correct, then the ending to Mass Effect 3 was intentionally left off so that EA could sell it to us later on for $10.

I'm not any happier, at all. The two most likely circumstances lead to either laziness and incompetence or sickening levels of corporate greed.
Well I can believe they unintentionally screwed up. I might be able to believe this was all some intentional plan if they hadn't released Dragon Age 2. Am curious though if the indoctrination theory is right, since at this point I'll take anything to not believe the ending was as stupid as it ended up being.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyero Fox View Post
Spoiler for ending wtf:
Spoiler for ending:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoldierOfDarkness View Post
You know I was wondering why Shepard didn't asked why the Catalyst looked like the child that was gunned down by the Reapers.

But even if that was the case and there's an ending DLC coming out....why? The ending pissed off so many people and given that consoles form a large part of the revenue a lot of them have already given them back from what I hear.
I wondered why Shepard didn't ask the Catalyst anything. I get he was in really bad shape there, but this was kind of important. All he got was one statement to the Catalyst and then it was all just nodding. But surprising he didn't ask that.
Old 2012-03-15, 01:04   Link #2306
Xion Valkyrie

TotalBisquit's take on the whole thing and corporations vs 'gaming entitlement' in general.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...-eggD1Q#t=649s
Xion Valkyrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-03-15, 01:07   Link #2307
Aqua Knight

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xion Valkyrie View Post
Indoctrination theory confirmed?

Spoiler:
wow! that's nice find!
Old 2012-03-15, 01:16   Link #2308
Xion Valkyrie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aqua Knight View Post
wow! that's nice find!
Actually just found out it's a shop. Disappointing. I guess I shouldn't have believed Bioware to be capable of doing something like that.
Old 2012-03-15, 03:59   Link #2309
-Sho-
~Omedetô~

I'm almost at the end but i already know that i'll rate this opus like average... damn i knew it.. but i stood on this series cuz i liked the universe & ME was the only one with this kind of game...
-Sho- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-03-15, 05:43   Link #2310
LoweGear
Secret Society BLANKET
*Graphic Designer

So a question to most of the people here since the ending discussions swamped just about everything, and reading the same thing being discussed over and over gets tiring after a while:

DISREGARDING the last 5-10 minutes of the game, what do people think about the rest of the game?

Against all the evil that hell can conjure, all wickedness that mankind can produce... We will send unto them, only you.
LoweGear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-03-15, 05:48   Link #2311
Xion Valkyrie

I thought it was pretty good. 8.5-9/10 ish. Animation was kind of terrible but overall the gameplay is probably the most solid out of the series. There were more significant 'choices' throughout the game, which I had hoped would pay off in the ending, but they really didn't...

There's a lot more character interaction between your squadmates, which I loved. It really made them feel like they were friends with each other too, not just friends with you.
Old 2012-03-15, 06:31   Link #2312
synaesthetic
blinded by blood
*Author

Send a message via AIM to synaesthetic
Playing through the game a second time (and paying much closer attention now that I'm not hungry for plot) I'm actually becoming more and more convinced that the "Indoctrination Theory" is correct.

There's some really odd occurrences in various parts of the game that don't really add up. They're extremely subtle and you wouldn't really notice them the first time through.

This shit-tacular ending, or this incredibly metagame ending, whatever it may be, is either one of three things:

a) A massive PR stunt to cover up the fact that they ran out of time and spent the three months the game was in console validation to finish the "actual" ending. The real ending is in a free DLC that comes out soon. This is possible. Publishers often force developers to release games early, and ME3's release date was already pushed back. EA originally wanted it released for the extremely desirable Christmas season. It wasn't finished yet, so Bioware got creative in an effort to buy time. It can work--just like Bethesda's release of Broken Steel greatly improved Fallout 3 in the fans' eyes--but only if the "true" ending measures up to the generally high quality markers the rest of ME3 set. If it doesn't, well, I hear gambling debts can ruin lives.

b) A shameless money grab, probably concocted by EA. They intentionally released a game with no ending with plans to sell the ending as DLC. EA's excuse will be to blame piracy and used game sales for their actions, and accuse anyone criticizing them of being a Communist opposed to intellectual property rights.

c) The actual, final ending of the series. I consider this to actually be the least likely, because Bioware is not Quantic Dream. They do not produce pretentious hipster bullshit. They never have. Their games have always been epic high adventure at their core--Mass Effect absolutely included.

However, if this actually is the actual, final end of the series, EA will be sorely disappointed when their likely-planned shameless milking of the franchise spinoffs make no money. If Bioware and EA do not handle this very carefully, I can see this actually killing Bioware off to the point where they're absorbed into EA completely.

Right now, a large chunk of Mass Effect fans are united in seething, blinding, white-hot rage. That rage will either explode--if this is a crass DLC hook--or fade away into sheepish grins when they realize how badly Bioware indoctrinated trolled them--if this is a PR stunt to buy them time to complete a real ending.
Old 2012-03-15, 06:48   Link #2313
MeisterBabylon
~ Your Smile ~
*Author

So I did my medical rotation exams today, and you won't believe how many Shepards were there in the waiting room as we were led to our individual slaughters.

So me, the guy who's been waiting for his first paycheck to buy a console and then play through ME123 ie me kicked off a debate about ME and watched the chaos unfolded.

It was a great stress reliever though.

Ultimately, its the last 5-10 minutes which really ruined the game for most people. They actually liked much of ME3, and all of ME2. At least we all agreed ME was awesome.

2nd observation: Medical students are at high risk of playing Sheps opposite to their own genders. Medical students with children however at not at such risk.
Old 2012-03-15, 07:12   Link #2314
BetoJR
A blast from the past
*Artist

Interestingly, the number of units sold doesn't seem to hold the notion of the "white-hot" rage we more hardcore fans seem to be a part of. I don't think EA or Bioware will suffer any kind of net loss, with this game (or any DLC and spin-offs they surely will release in the future). Maybe it's just too soon...

It's also quite funny to note that the rate of people who bought the X-Box 360's version is almost 70% higher than the ones who bought the PS3's one, as far as consoles go.
Not sure they're counting digital downloads, tho (inexistent in the one from Microsoft). I bought it from SEN, myself.

BetoJR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-03-15, 08:12   Link #2315
Linkark07
Yokoso Gypsy

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoweGear View Post
DISREGARDING the last 5-10 minutes of the game, what do people think about the rest of the game?
Somehow, for me, it is the least favorite game of the entire trilogy. Sure, the gameplay was cool but it got boring to me fast because it is almost the same always.

Also, I disliked I couldn't interact with the crew of the Normandy like in the past; always when you talked to them they had options for chat but now you clicked them and then they said something which was something I disliked a lot.

Is it my imagination or there are less paragon and renegade options in the entire game?

For me, 7.5/10 in my books.
Linkark07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-03-15, 09:31   Link #2316
killer3000ad

Quote:
So a question to most of the people here since the ending discussions swamped just about everything, and reading the same thing being discussed over and over gets tiring after a while:

It's bloody brilliant, the 99% of the game that isn't the ending. I cried a couple of times at certain deaths. Which is why the ending just bothers me so much that I sunk into a minor depressive state after finishing it, then checking youtube and seeing that the other choices were all crap as well.

ANd when I hear this, I wonder how it would be if they actually ended it there instead of throwing in Astro Starchild.

Last edited by killer3000ad; 2012-03-15 at 09:48.
killer3000ad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-03-15, 09:37   Link #2317
BetoJR
A blast from the past
*Artist

Quote:
I think it was brilliant, myself.
Great mechanics, more balanced gameplay, nice interactions with the characters, good story... Honestly, the ending was the only thing that left me a little (okay, a lot) down, but I'm kinda hopeful they'll pull something out of their asses and somehow fix it.

I'm a sap, I know.

BetoJR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-03-15, 09:52   Link #2318
MeisterBabylon
~ Your Smile ~
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by BetoJR View Post
I think it was brilliant, myself.
Great mechanics, more balanced gameplay, nice interactions with the characters, good story... Honestly, the ending was the only thing that left me a little (okay, a lot) down, but I'm kinda hopeful they'll pull something out of their asses and somehow fix it.

I'm a sap, I know.
Totalbiscuit agrees with you.
Old 2012-03-15, 09:58   Link #2319
Imako
Known Cyberbully
*Fansubber

Call me a total n00b but I frankly liked ME2 better than ME3. That game was a huge step up from the original Mass Effect in terms of interaction, while ME3 felt like more of the same. Plus, ME2 at least had a final boss.
Imako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-03-15, 10:27   Link #2320
Aqua Knight

Sorry, but I have to disagree.
Comparing interaction, you can definitely say that ME3 is just improved version of ME2 with more slightly more customization and refined combat system.

Gameplay-wise ME1 was totally different from sequels; ME1 felt more like a typical BioWare game(with a little KOTOR taste).

Tags
effect, games, mass