AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2006-11-03, 15:50   Link #241
darkchibi07

Send a message via AIM to darkchibi07 Send a message via MSN to darkchibi07
Quote:
Originally Posted by glyph View Post
I just hope they can somewhat keep the feel of 18th century dialogue, and not let obviously modern terminology and slang slip in. Does ADV usually also include a Japanese track with subs along with the dub?
Uhhh, that's a silly question. Of course they do.
darkchibi07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-11-03, 15:57   Link #242
xris
Just call me Ojisan

Quote:
Originally Posted by glyph View Post
I just hope they can somewhat keep the feel of 18th century dialogue, and not let obviously modern terminology and slang slip in. Does ADV usually also include a Japanese track with subs along with the dub?
Anime DVDs with English dubs only (i.e. no Japanese track and no English subtitles) are a very small minority. 99.9% of anime DVDs gives the option of Japanese / English soundtrack and English subtitles. This title will be no exception.
xris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-11-03, 16:34   Link #243
Secca
nya`
*Artist

The reason the action seems to be lacking, maybe because it was done in realistic fencing. Fights were finished in just few seconds. They could have done it like say Shojo Kakumei Utena, where the fight were drawn out with dramatic effects. Or even Gundam Seed style, where they scream their idealism with each blow. xD

The way they do it here is neat on it's own. Let's cut the crap, En garde! thrust, parry, swing, parry, parry, counter, slash, ...! It was very realistic. I can feel the tense just by watching it. There was deep apreciaton for real fencing there. Altho it was very cool but it was also very short because of that. It left me feel wanting more.

God knows how many times I replayed that fight scene between Tellagory and Durand, it's stil looks amazing. ^_^
Secca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-11-03, 17:11   Link #244
lommm
l'homme de lommm

that one was amazing! where it was from each man's pov
you know, the d'eon v voronzoff fights have been really good too
especially the one in ep11

in the OP robespierre is using a sword
i hope he and durand have a duel next ep
that will rock my socks
lommm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-11-03, 19:12   Link #245
Doria

This is just a shot in the dark, but does anyone know what the Russian means on the sign just after the commercial break? I believe it is shows roughly around 12:39 or so.

The letters are:
Оteлъ
ПetpoПaлac

And my best guess is something along the lines of: Hotel Petrograd

It still doesn't work perfectly, though, as I think that Petrograd should really be more like Петрогра́д, but "Petropalac" sounds vaguely like a Japanese rendering of the word... vaguely...

Anyhow, if no one knows, no harm no foul. Just figured I'd ask around!
Doria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-11-06, 20:23   Link #246
lommm
l'homme de lommm

um... the first part is hotel... the second part is mostly wrong... this according to my ukrainian neighbor. he thinks Petrograd is good enough, but that what you typed there is pretty much jumbled. when i pushed for a further explanation he grunted and walked away. he was probably running low on vodka. i don't mean that as a slight against russians and ukrainians. it's just he's drunk more often than not.

PS you gave a time, but no ep number so is didn't know where to go look it up. :P
Old 2006-11-06, 21:11   Link #247
MrProphet
The Commissar Vanishes

Send a message via ICQ to MrProphet
"ПetpoПaлac" (well, Петропалас, actually) is literally "Petropalace". The second word is a transliteration, often used in Russian to signify the same thing it does in English, a "palace". It's also rather out-dated (nobody says it like that anymore).

PetroPalace was actually a real place. I believe it served as a boarding house for visiting foreigners. A hotel with the same name still exists in St.-Petersburg (http://www.petropalacehotel.com). 8)

As for the so called "English" and "French" accents that American VAs might or might not do for the dubbing of Chevalier... honestly, I'd rather they did not. Seriously.... whenever an American actors attempts a European accent, it simply sounds as a clownish joke. Those trying to imitate a "French accent" usually watched too much Peter Sellers as inspector Clouseau, if you know what I mean. 8)
MrProphet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-11-07, 15:21   Link #248
Doria

LOL--yes, I know exactly what you mean!

Thanks for the help, you guys. I found someone from the area to give me a hand with the TL too. There is also apparently, a modern hotel by this name as well. I'm not entirely sure if it has any particular historical connection, though, because the site is (obviously) all in Russian.
Old 2006-11-08, 22:00   Link #249
lommm
l'homme de lommm

so i went to the library today and read up on a bunch of Chevalier D'Eon and Comte de StGermain books.

did you know that Phillip "monsieur" Duc D'Orleans was a known crossdresser? this is the D'Orleans that was Louis XIV's brother. He believed that women liked women more than men, so he shaved all his body hair off, wore make-up and perfume, grew his hair long, and wore stockings and garters... just to please the ladies!!

Le Comte De Saint-Germain didn't even exist until he was middle-aged. According to four different books I looked at, there was no record of his birth or childhood, and no witnesses anywhere who knew of him prior to his appearance during the Austrian Secession War and subsequent befriending of Pompadour, Louis XV and Robespierre. THere are rummors that he was part of a secret brotherhood from Hungary who was sent to France to topple the monarchy by planning the revolution, but any "evidence" is more conjecture than evidence.

And Charles D'Eon De Beaumont. i'm spoiler tagging it in case it is offensive as it has some sexual discussion.
Spoiler:

if anyone wants me to post a list of the best books i found, i can do that too... just let me know.

did anyone watch 12??
Spoiler:
Old 2006-11-10, 16:48   Link #250
Doria

As I mentioned elsewhere, Eon was indeed, by all accounts, quite the fencer. Even given the traditional training he would have undergone, he seems to have had an aptitude for it. I believe he earned his title/estate (Chevalier) in battle.

Haha--lommm has fallen into the library, only occasionally to be seen again...
Old 2006-11-13, 04:46   Link #251
lommm
l'homme de lommm

Am I mildly retarded or did episode 13 not air this week?

or both i suppose...
Old 2006-11-13, 05:24   Link #252
xris
Just call me Ojisan

Quote:
Originally Posted by lommm View Post
Am I mildly retarded or did episode 13 not air this week?
I think only one of these two statements is correct

According to AniDB, it didn't air this week. Episode 13 is due on the 18th.
xris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-11-13, 05:32   Link #253
lommm
l'homme de lommm

thank you. erm... xris is nice... he says i have full brain capacity... :P
Old 2006-11-19, 17:57   Link #254
lommm
l'homme de lommm

so episode 13 had my favorite quote from D'Eon ever!!!
Spoiler:

and how about that eye ball shake???

btw, i thought cagliostro was dead... am i mixing him up with another guy?
Old 2006-11-19, 22:54   Link #255
MrProphet
The Commissar Vanishes

Well, I finally watched episodes 11 through 13 today. Several thoughts on this matter:

Episode 11:

Spoiler:

Episode 12:

Spoiler:

Episode 13:

Spoiler:
Old 2006-11-19, 22:56   Link #256
glyph

Quote:
Originally Posted by lommm View Post
so episode 13 had my favorite quote from D'Eon ever!!!
Spoiler:

and how about that eye ball shake???

btw, i thought cagliostro was dead... am i mixing him up with another guy?
Spoiler:
glyph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-11-20, 20:22   Link #257
Doria

LOL @ a couple of those little gaffes, Prophet... there are some good ones there, for sure.

I've felt that the Russian arc in general has been a bit slow. That really might have been some of the source of my earlier comments about the series' slowness, as when I watched the earlier arc again, it didn't seem quite so tedious as some of this Russian part has been. I'm kind of eager, frankly, for them to hurry up and move on...
Old 2006-11-20, 21:12   Link #258
MrProphet
The Commissar Vanishes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doria View Post
I've felt that the Russian arc in general has been a bit slow.
I agree. The problem with the Russian adventures was that a lot of the plot actually involved reliving historical events rather than actually pursuing the original adventure.

It had a lot more to do with D'Eon and Robespierre interfering with history rather than looking for ways to unravel the mystery of Lia's death and Saint-Germain's plot. So, it many ways, the characters were largely distracted from the important stuff.

Which made it... well... uneventful.
Old 2006-11-21, 16:16   Link #259
lommm
l'homme de lommm

i agree. nothing more to add really, just that hpefully the England arc will be more eventful. at least the actual history of D'Eon's life in England was more eventful, so they have more to work with, i guess.

and whenever RObin is revealed to be a girl, that's when the series will really be good. lol
Old 2006-11-21, 21:04   Link #260
Doria

Haha, you guys are just never giving up on that idea, are you... poor Robin. S/he actually got a vote in another forum "favorite character" poll, and everyone was joking that it was a mistake.

Tags
historical, supernatural