AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Current Series > Spice and Wolf

Notices

Old 2009-02-25, 03:13   Link #541
physics223
In the Tatami Galaxy ↓

I started watching Spice and Wolf after seeing its OP with a 1080p BD-rip of it. I finished the first episode, and I love it so far. A lot of people discourage me, saying that it's all just about Horo and economics (and I don't really mind, actually), but is there also a love story in the background between Lawrence and Horo? I'd assume it would be ultimately tragic, but I do hope that they hook up sooner or later - at least those were my vibes after seeing the first episode. (I'm a romantic.)

So, I don't want the entirety of the novels spoiled to me, but can someone elaborate on scenes where I can at least say I'm right or altogether say I'm wrong? I mean I'd think romantic feelings would develop after a while, especially with the dynamic of Horo and Lawrence.

Thanks.
physics223 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-02-25, 05:32   Link #542
Kaguya
an idler

Quote:
Originally Posted by physics223 View Post
I started watching Spice and Wolf after seeing its OP with a 1080p BD-rip of it. I finished the first episode, and I love it so far. A lot of people discourage me, saying that it's all just about Horo and economics (and I don't really mind, actually), but is there also a love story in the background between Lawrence and Horo? I'd assume it would be ultimately tragic, but I do hope that they hook up sooner or later - at least those were my vibes after seeing the first episode. (I'm a romantic.)

So, I don't want the entirety of the novels spoiled to me, but can someone elaborate on scenes where I can at least say I'm right or altogether say I'm wrong? I mean I'd think romantic feelings would develop after a while, especially with the dynamic of Horo and Lawrence.

Thanks.
Well, the story of Vol.1-Vol.5 seems to be the love story before the marriage which you mean. (Probably, it is a PG-13 RATING.)
Since Horo can read the mind of Lawrence, a little unlike normal love, it seems to be a psychological warfare.
But their relation after Vol.6 is developed like a married couple.
They understand that the day when they separate some day comes.
So, they are daring to try not to have a relation deeply.

The remainder is about three volumes until the end.
Although there is no telling what happens to the relation between Horo and Lawrence, the author has said that he makes it the happy end which he thinks of.
Kaguya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-02-25, 12:35   Link #543
RampagingEvangelion
Asuka, Asuna, and Horo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaguya View Post
Well, the story of Vol.1-Vol.5 seems to be the love story before the marriage which you mean.

Eh? W-w-was that a spoiler? They get married?

Also, the author said he is going for the happy ending? That'd be nice.
RampagingEvangelion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-02-25, 12:48   Link #544
salv87
Can't think of a title^_^

nah I don't think they get married, it says "seems" ^_^ plus Kaguya mentions later "like a married couple." Furthermore I doubt such a spoiler would be left without the spoiler tags.
salv87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-02-25, 13:00   Link #545
physics223
In the Tatami Galaxy ↓

I just read a chapter of Volume 7.

Spoiler:
Old 2009-02-25, 13:27   Link #546
RampagingEvangelion
Asuka, Asuna, and Horo

Quote:
Originally Posted by salv87 View Post
nah I don't think they get married, it says "seems" ^_^ plus Kaguya mentions later "like a married couple." Furthermore I doubt such a spoiler would be left without the spoiler tags.
Oops, I read that wrong. My bad.
Old 2009-02-25, 13:41   Link #547
physics223
In the Tatami Galaxy ↓

I have, however, only read of that chapter. I haven't read anything else from the Spice and Wolf novels, and have contented myself waiting for better things to come in Spice and Wolf's second season. If there's anything good to be expected from S&W, it's because of the fact that the producers decide not to rush through the evocative and rich source material.

Plus, I can await a new and equally beautiful OP, can't I!?
Old 2009-02-25, 14:50   Link #548
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Its a long journey of the road with a few adventures and a lot of wonderful witty verbal sparring -- somewhat like the romantic comedies of the 1950s (Cary Grant and Audrey Hepburn, think of that). The progression of their relationship is very mature (as in actually grown up rather than hormonal frenzy teenage stuff).

I enjoyed the hell out of the anime and love reading the novels.
Old 2009-02-25, 15:15   Link #549
physics223
In the Tatami Galaxy ↓

I love those movies. I thought Philadelphia Story was great, and so was Roman Holiday. In fact I admired the mature ending of those, especially with Roman Holiday. So, Vexx, aside from that incident, could you provide certain highlights (in spoiler tags, of course) where Horo shows her affections towards Lawrence? Or did that merely start from there?

(Also, I'm nowhere near 51, but I can appreciate good stories when I do see them. )
Old 2009-02-25, 17:52   Link #550
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Assuming you've just seen the first episode.... there are two "adventures of a sort in the series and the end of each are classic Grant/Hepburn sort of moments. There's also at least a few minutes of superb "verbal dancing" at least once in most episodes And sometimes its just a look, suddenly holding hands, etc.

Okay, now I need to rewatch the series -- so many of the other series this season have crashed for me, I've got a bit of time.
Old 2009-02-25, 18:49   Link #551
Blank-Mage
Maniacal laughter ensues.

Episode one was great, but you don't really get to see Horo's character until about halfway through the season. (season 1 is 13 episodes, by the way.) Even then, keep in mind that Horo and Lawerence's relationship isn't something that happens overnight. But that's what makes it awesome, right?
Old 2009-02-25, 19:18   Link #552
physics223
In the Tatami Galaxy ↓

You mean that the episode of chapter 7 was the first time Horo showed her affections for Lawrence?

And yes, I love slice-of-life and characters that realistically develop through time, which was why I was ... besotted ... with the series.
Old 2009-02-26, 00:59   Link #553
Blank-Mage

And you said you'd only seen episode one. Man, you're fast.
Old 2009-02-26, 14:35   Link #554
RampagingEvangelion
Asuka, Asuna, and Horo

Wait, maybe I missed it before but was Volume 6 Chapter 1 8% complete a week ago?
Old 2009-03-09, 01:05   Link #555
Tri-ring

I just finished reading volume 10.
In the end there was a hint that the journey will go further.

Spoiler for Volume 10:
Tri-ring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-03-09, 11:22   Link #556
judgment26
Former B-T Translator

Been a long time since my last update, since my business has been keeping me busy, even during winter break, but finally, the third section of Vol. 4 Chap. 5 is done. Enjoy!

And I've noticed it too, Eva. Someone recently decided to join in and help to translate Vol. 6.
judgment26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-03-09, 12:10   Link #557
RampagingEvangelion
Asuka, Asuna, and Horo

Quote:
Originally Posted by judgment26 View Post
Been a long time since my last update, since my business has been keeping me busy, even during winter break, but finally, the third section of Vol. 4 Chap. 5 is done. Enjoy!

And I've noticed it too, Eva. Someone recently decided to join in and help to translate Vol. 6.
Thanks a lot judgment, kudos for you!

Wow, it jumped from 35% to 91%, big part, eh?

Also, whoever is doing volume six is moving along quite nicely. A medium sized prologue and 35% of chapter 01 are done. I don't know who's doing it, but I'm sure happy about it!

EDIT: Just finished reading the part; good section.

Last edited by RampagingEvangelion; 2009-03-09 at 12:34. Reason: Read update
Old 2009-03-09, 19:47   Link #558
Blank-Mage

91%? AGH, SO CLOSE! (Although I'd forgotten to check, what with the craziness in Naruto. I swear if
Spoiler for this happens,:
I will be depressed forever.)
Old 2009-03-09, 21:50   Link #559
judgment26
Former B-T Translator

Quote:
Originally Posted by RampagingEvangelion View Post
Thanks a lot judgment, kudos for you!

Wow, it jumped from 35% to 91%, big part, eh?

Also, whoever is doing volume six is moving along quite nicely. A medium sized prologue and 35% of chapter 01 are done. I don't know who's doing it, but I'm sure happy about it!

EDIT: Just finished reading the part; good section.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blank-Mage View Post
91%? AGH, SO CLOSE! (Although I'd forgotten to check, what with the craziness in Naruto. I swear if
Spoiler for this happens,:
I will be depressed forever.)
Yeah, this past section forms the bulk of chapter 5, and the last section is barely four pages, so it should be done shortly.

And in response to Mage:

Spoiler for Naruto:
judgment26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-03-11, 09:03   Link #560
barbsicle
B-T Translator

Send a message via MSN to barbsicle
i've been watching the thread for awhile. haha.

apologies for my disappearance. i've been here and around (you can ask salv and judgment). volume 2 is being worked on, but only bits here and there so far. i'll be slightly freer in the coming days so i will release quite quickly once i get to doing it. hopefully.

so let's hope i can do this.

Barbs
barbsicle is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
light novels, seinen, shounen