081 - 090: Great 66 20.43%
071 - 080: Very Good 46 14.24%
061 - 070: Good 50 15.48%
051 - 060: Average 24 7.43%
041 - 050: Below Average 17 5.26%
031 - 040: Bad 6 1.86%
021 - 030: Very Bad 4 1.24%
011 - 020: Awful 10 3.10%
001 - 010: You would rather watch Britney Spears exposing her crotch. *shudder* 22 6.81%
Voters: 323. You may not vote on this poll

Old 2010-12-26, 17:06   Link #201
Kuroi Hadou
Dark Energy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaioshin Sama View Post
Funny that Gundam, one of the series where romance is typically lowest on the list of priority topics to be covered should appear to have one of the largest shipping sub-groups around who only seem to care if their preferred shipping pair is fulfilled and little else about the franchise.
That's probably why it has such a massive shipping base: Since there's so little focus on only a handful of pairings (if any), fans are desperate for their preferred pairing to be the "official" one.

Quote:
Maybe that's what some people are afraid of. They know their reasons are probably subjective and not necessarily related to something the movie inherently did wrong so there's not much of a starting ground that doesn't involve the hyperbolic stuff I mentioned above. I'm sure you've seen one of them before, the case where somebody massively overcompensates in their criticism and projects every issue they have with a show onto the writers, animators and production staff at large when really a lot of what they say has to do more with themselves and their own expectations.
Oh I've definitely seen it. You only have to take a single glance at any mention of the CE shows on any forum to see that.

Quote:
In any case I plan on being flat out honest with people here when I see it myself and giving them something to go on. If there's something I thought was well done I'll talk about it and try to go into a little detail about it, if there's something I didn't care for I'll do the same. Then people can make of it what they may.
Honestly, if there were more people like that in the world it would be a much better place.
Old 2010-12-26, 17:26   Link #202
Kaioshin Sama
Banned

Send a message via MSN to Kaioshin Sama
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kuroi Hadou View Post

Honestly, if there were more people like that in the world it would be a much better place.
Oh and as a follow up I also plan on waiting and watching it subtitled so that I can get the proper experience and won't be mostly talking out of my ass about the quality of the writing etc. The way people seem to think watching a movie in a language they can't fully understand just so they can be the first to talk about it is equivalent to having a proper perspective on it is kind of depressing to witness and not doing it or your own collected reflection on it justice IMO. Might as well be watching it blindfolded and saying something like the visuals aren't what you'd imagine at that rate.

There are just so many reasons why little anybody has said about the movie besides talk about the visuals is coloring my expectations as I anticipate the chance to check this one out. Considering the track record from the TV series of people flipping their shit about the show "not making sense" during the initial raw stream phase of the week and me going into the sub and finding out what they were talking about typically worked fine in proper established context (considering 00 show relies a lot on dialogue and exposition for better or worse of course) and how I'm seeing a lot of that sort of thing around the internet with this movie this week, I'll probably end up watching an essentially different movie the first time around than the average person here did (I kind of feel that's the way it happened with the series too) and a proper first impression goes a long way.

Just my philosophy of course.
Kaioshin Sama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-12-26, 17:31   Link #203
Kuroi Hadou
Dark Energy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaioshin Sama View Post
Oh and as a follow up I also plan on waiting and watching it subtitled so that I can get the proper experience and won't be mostly talking out of my ass about the quality of the writing etc. The way people seem to think watching a movie in a language they can't fully understand just so they can be the first to talk about it is equivalent to having a proper perspective on it is kind of depressing to witness and not doing it or your own collected reflection on it justice IMO. Might as well be watching it blindfolded and saying something like the visuals aren't what you'd imagine at that rate.
The only reason I watched the movie raw was to see the battles. And it actually made sense to me, because I had already read the summaries by people who either spoke the language or were lucky enough to see the subtitled version in theaters.

Quote:
There are just so many reasons why little anybody has said about the movie besides talk about the visuals is coloring my expectations as I anticipate the chance to check this one out. Considering the track record from the TV series of people flipping their shit about the show "not making sense" during the initial raw stream phase of the week and me going into the sub and finding out what they were talking about typically worked fine in proper established context (considering 00 show relies a lot on dialogue and exposition for better or worse of course) and how I'm seeing a lot of that sort of thing around the internet with this movie this week, I'll probably end up watching an essentially different movie the first time around than the average person here did (I kind of feel that's the way it happened with the series too) and a proper first impression goes a long way.
My introduction to the 00 series was actually the English dub, so I didn't have any problems grasping what was going on. I can understand how people can get confused though, and I find myself confused as to how anyone can watch anything without subtitles when they don't understand the language and say it actually makes sense. There's a reason we call it a language barrier.
Old 2010-12-26, 22:42   Link #204
pikachuwei

watched the raw

died and went to heaven

so epic!

and i thought the macross frontier movie had a lot of explosions

Gadelaza is phenomally powerful o_o Descartes was soloing the ELS until he got blindsided by one of them giant ELS
Old 2010-12-26, 23:09   Link #205
seed2007

Can someone PM me a streaming link for the movie? I'm not gonna download it, that I'll do when the subs come out

Can't wait to at least see the raw.
seed2007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-12-26, 23:14   Link #206
Kuroi Hadou
Dark Energy

Quote:
Originally Posted by seed2007 View Post
Can someone PM me a streaming link for the movie? I'm not gonna download it, that I'll do when the subs come out

Can't wait to at least see the raw.
... you do you could get banned for asking for that right?
Old 2010-12-26, 23:43   Link #207
Om Nerabdator
~Maru~

Anyone know whos subbing this movie?
Old 2010-12-27, 00:19   Link #208
LightningZERO
You are Dominated!
*Author

Just finished this movie...and wow. It was late and I planned to just watch half of it, but I was hooked and finished all the way. It was a great movie. I will write up a longer review, but I can say it was really really awesome!
Old 2010-12-27, 00:27   Link #209
pikachuwei

just wondering, those giant cloud looking rings around the planetoid, are they composed of ELS?
Old 2010-12-27, 04:43   Link #210
RES-01 Perses Gundam
A Contradiction Beneath

Quote:
Originally Posted by pikachuwei View Post
just wondering, those giant cloud looking rings around the planetoid, are they composed of ELS?
Most likely so. I would also not ignore the possibility of them being metal debris, for ELS repair?
RES-01 Perses Gundam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-12-27, 06:18   Link #211
DV04

Quote:
Originally Posted by matty543 View Post
Anyone know whos subbing this movie?
Nyoron Subs are since they said so on their forums.
DV04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-12-27, 09:50   Link #212
justavisitor

watched the movie with sub (not english sub and don't ask me where to see it XD) I think the movie is pretty decent...

there are some criticisms that the communication concept is too simple--just knowing each other mind's will not solve everything....a good counter example to 00 communication concept is that Newtypes in UC also got the similar ability, but they can not end any conflict because ppl (both Newtype and Oldtype) could be real bad XD

However, I feel the 00 movie sort of completes the communication concept in the series...in the series, everyone wants to understand each other, and as soon as they have a chance to understand each other, they will stop fighting (except selected few) and we got a sense that conflict will end when everyone becomes an innovator, but in the movie, Descartes is also an innovator but he refuses to try to understand others (both ordinary human and aliens)

Furthermore, 00 movie also states that understanding may not be enough to stop the war (Tieria says they are going for the huge gamble when they enter the ELS core), but if one keeps thinking "oh, communication will not solve everything" and refuses to take the first step, then nothing will change. In the movie, Setsuna, knowing how slim the chance is to understand the alien, still tries to take the first step to understand them. That, I think is the real message in the whole 00 franchise (series + movie). So in a sense, the movie wraps up the series quite well.
I am a Ranka fan and I have significant experience in defending various "crimes" committed by Ranka, from her evil plan to terminate human races, to feeding inapporiate food to unknown lifeforms. If you think you find "new" charges aginst Ranka and you are interested, or you care to see how a particular Ranka fan would respond, please feel free to check my previous comment. There is a good chance that I have answered a similiar issue. And of course, my viewpoints do not necessarily represent other perspectivs from numerous Ranka fans in this planet
justavisitor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-12-27, 11:15   Link #213
LightningZERO
You are Dominated!
*Author

Good post and I definitely agree with that. Conflicts may not be avoided all together, but it is important that if some parties take the first step to listen to and to understand each other. In the movie, we still get to see some parties (Shaman, those who experimented on him and some guys in the world meeting who are more concerned about getting MS development projects) who are selfish and unwilling to understand others' thoughts. It's not a perfect and war may still occur even after the ELS treat, however, I think the message of this movie was that little by little, as long as we are willing to understand each other and communicate our feelings, the world will head towards to be a better place.
Old 2010-12-27, 18:37   Link #214
Marikina

I think the point of GN empathy is to do away with traditional "grey vs grey" conflicts between remotely decent humans, reducing problems to just the sociopaths and genuinely corrupt individuals. Like the TAB incident in S2.
Marikina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-12-28, 02:59   Link #215
j0x
Giga Drill Breaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by DV04 View Post
Nyoron Subs are since they said so on their forums.
a new fansub group all rookie on fansubbing is doing it now too here is their announcement -> http://home.hadena.dreamhosters.com/?p=25
j0x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-12-28, 04:58   Link #216
pikachuwei

i wonder, there are two types of giant ELS, the Big claw type and the fancy bell-looking type

wat does the latter type do? it doesnt seem to be an offensive type =/
Old 2010-12-28, 05:28   Link #217
Hypernova

Location: Virgo Supercluster, Milky Way, Orion Arm, Sol, Earth, Taiwan
Having just finished the movie, the ELS makes me wonder if the makers read "Von Neumann's War" by John Ringo. The probes in it are self replicating and eats anything metal.

You can read the whole novel free here for comparison: (officially sanctioned)
http://baencd.thefifthimperium.com/1...umanns_War.htm
Hypernova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-12-28, 06:21   Link #218
bio9205
Reborn

Quote:
i wonder, there are two types of giant ELS, the Big claw type and the fancy bell-looking type

There are two of the 'big claw' types, one is three-pronged, one is four-pronged.

As for the smaller probes, one is the GN Lance type, one looks something like those CB missile containers (as seen on PG 0 Raiser) with holes in the front. Hard to describe.
bio9205 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-12-28, 15:03   Link #219
GN0010 Nosferatu
Where's the monoeye?

Quote:

As far as we know, there isn't anything different about all the ELS. They all do the same thing.
GN0010 Nosferatu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-12-28, 16:13   Link #220
Hypernova

Location: Virgo Supercluster, Milky Way, Orion Arm, Sol, Earth, Taiwan
There's a easter egg in the credits:
The guy who chats near the end - E. A. Ray

Ensign Amuro Ray...

And somebody pointed this out LOL
Spoiler for :
Hypernova is offline   Reply With Quote