AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Reviews & Recommendations

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2008-01-14, 02:53   Link #21
tbl
Affably Evil

Black Lagoon is a good example for the type of depressing I was looking for, with those two twin assassins.
Destroy. Destroy. Destroy. Slowly, completely, gently beyond comparison, cruelly to the point of numbness, I'll violate your life. That's right. The instant I rip off your limbs, tear open your rib and pull out your intestines, biting into your neck as you scream in agony, chewing through your eyes as I ignore your pleas for mercy and spreading your brains on the ground like butter! I am sane, well more or less

Old 2008-01-14, 10:23   Link #22
psgels

Send a message via MSN to psgels
You should check out Bokura no, though it doesn't really have a main character. It's often referred to as a very depressing series.

As for a depressing movie: Tekkon Kinkreet.
Old 2008-01-14, 20:29   Link #23
gummi
Chi~~

Kaiji - sorta depressing/psychological - about a young man in debt, and pitiful life.
Old 2008-01-15, 08:48   Link #24
geki~
noLife
*Artist

ICE was depressing as well, all men have died and women are kinda fighting for power and searching for a method in order to not die out as well. The thing I didn't like much was voice acting in this but other than that it was rather interesting.
Blood+ might also fit into this category. Saya, seemingly a normal school girl, doesn't really want to but has to fight against immortal monsters. It's somewhat slow but again rather interesting.
Hitsuji no Uta- Now that was depressing. Kazuna and Chizuna have a rare illness that make them thirst for blood. It's an OVA aka pretty short.

EDIT: There is no spoiler in any of these descriptions. It's nothing more than ANN's database gives as a description.

Last edited by geki~; 2008-02-08 at 08:46.
Old 2008-01-15, 09:32   Link #25
TinyRedLeaf
Moving in circles

I'm surprised no one mentioned this title

Grave of the Fireflies

Spoiler for reviews from Amazon.com:
Old 2008-01-15, 15:19   Link #26
gh0stmice
*Artist

Quote:
Originally Posted by bruno321 View Post
You shouldn't be looking for something as deep as 1984 in anime. It's just incompatible. While I'll admit anime can be deep, I think something like 1984 is unthinkable in anime.

But of course there are depressing dystopias in anime, just very different As somebody said, I believe Now and Then, Here and There fits the bill. I haven't watched it, though.

On the other hand, have you seen/read A Clockwork Orange? You should! Did you read Lord of the Flies? Brave New World?

Also, an interesting dystopian film which is very interesting and original is Last Night.

ahhhh brave new world f!@#ed with my head....that is a great book.....and its so wierd how the world we live in is slowly adopting that kind of way of life....(well of course not to that extreme...i think the author exagerated the world alittle bit to push his prediction).....do you choose humanity and the existential philosophies of being human...or do you choose bliss in ignorance....which pill the red or the blue!!!!wow totally refrenced matrix...ima loser....

clockwork orange wasn't much of a dystopia(seeing the rest of society functioned correctly except that underground culture)....it was more like a acid washed effed up dream.....a combination of cocaine and barbituats floating on amassed collection of concerntrated puedophredrine and nyquill in your digestive track....totally equal one effed up dream....(if you dont die)

lord of the flies is the poster child of "anarchy" and chaos v.s. structure and development.....done in a great symbollic satire.....excellent.....best part is when the adults came...kinda like picking up a kid from daycare....

1984....is undeniably one of the greatest works of george orwell
its gonna be hard to find an anime equivelant to 1984....
1984 is considered a masterpiece that has weathered time up to this day.....

good luck on your search if you find anything like it plz inform me
Old 2008-01-15, 15:42   Link #27
geki~
noLife
*Artist

Oh and you might want to try Serial Experiments Lain if you haven't already.
Old 2008-01-15, 18:40   Link #28
tbl
Affably Evil

Just to clarify, I'm not expecting something on the level of 1984, but a series that is depressing in the same way. As Kanon was that sweet sadness that made you want to cry, 1984 just made you feel really, really low.

Thanks
Destroy. Destroy. Destroy. Slowly, completely, gently beyond comparison, cruelly to the point of numbness, I'll violate your life. That's right. The instant I rip off your limbs, tear open your rib and pull out your intestines, biting into your neck as you scream in agony, chewing through your eyes as I ignore your pleas for mercy and spreading your brains on the ground like butter! I am sane, well more or less

Old 2008-01-16, 07:47   Link #29
NightSamurai

Homunculus! is a pretty depressing manga dealing with repressed memories that lead to some severe personality problems. The Laughing Vampire, another manga, is also really dark and depressing, though it is shockingly so and not nearly so subtle as in 1984.
Old 2008-01-16, 22:10   Link #30
Xellos-_^
Not Enough Sleep

Ubel Blatt

Major Spoilers
Spoiler:
Old 2008-01-16, 22:32   Link #31
d2daMax

Nobody mentioned Ima, Soko ni Iru Boku, it's set in an alternate world that shows the worst of humanity. One of the most depressing animes I watched so far.http://anidb.net/perl-bin/animedb.pl?show=anime&aid=114
Old 2008-01-16, 22:33   Link #32
tbl
Affably Evil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xellos-_^ View Post
Ubel Blatt

Major Spoilers
Spoiler:
Ubel Blatt is awesome, but it's not really depressing.

Old 2008-01-18, 21:27   Link #33
bruno321
Whirling Knife

Send a message via MSN to bruno321
Quote:
Originally Posted by d2daMax View Post
Nobody mentioned Ima, Soko ni Iru Boku, it's set in an alternate world that shows the worst of humanity. One of the most depressing animes I watched so far.http://anidb.net/perl-bin/animedb.pl?show=anime&aid=114
AKA Now and Then, Here and There.
Old 2008-01-18, 23:23   Link #34
Oloko

Send a message via MSN to Oloko
Hell Girl I think it would fit because you get to see why someone would go to the extend to send someone else to hell. Some story are boring but I think you can wonder if most people are really good.

Infinite Ryvius makes you fell hopeless because it show us childrens making their own society and making big mistakes (are they mistake or do we misjudge them because its against the way we have been raised to think?) that happen in our world.

I second
Bokurano
Jin-Roh
Now and Then, Here and There
Texhnolyze

I know there is a mistake in "Souufrance" but I lost my .psd
Animes:
Seen all
Masterpieces
Closed Thread

Tags
dystopia, sad