AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > General Anime > Fansub Groups

Notices

Old 2010-08-24, 11:43   Link #1
Area88

Are there really any Translators out there for 80's OVA's now?

Are there really any Translators out there for 80's OVA's these days?

Over at Box-Subs we have lost all our translators for subbing one shot OVA's. Even translators at other groups I befriended have disapeared. Like where is Shin Newtype from Anime-Classic?

Anyone else having the same problem? What are the solutions to this?
Area88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-08-24, 11:48   Link #2
Heibi
Ancient Fansubber
*Fansubber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Area88 View Post

Over at Box-Subs we have lost all our translators for subbing one shot OVA's. Even translators at other groups I befriended have disapeared. Like where is Shin Newtype from Anime-Classic?

Depends on the OVA. We've done many older shows.
Old 2010-08-24, 14:31   Link #3
sangofe

Quote:

It's simple; pay money.
sangofe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-08-24, 14:57   Link #4
Area88

It may have to come to that sangofe, but do other groups really resort to this?

It's kind of sad that few are willing to subtitle a short 23-50 minute ova.
Old 2010-08-24, 15:15   Link #5
Heibi
Ancient Fansubber
*Fansubber

Cool

Quote:
It may have to come to that sangofe, but do other groups really resort to this?

It's kind of sad that few are willing to subtitle a short 23-50 minute ova.
Well, I pay my translator(I never ask for money for donations like some groups). I want to make sure it would be worth my time and money.
Old 2010-08-24, 17:06   Link #6
Area88

Thanks for enlightening me Heibi, didn't realise a big group like Central Anime paid their translators. May I ask what the going rate is?
Old 2010-08-24, 17:11   Link #7
Heibi
Ancient Fansubber
*Fansubber

Cool

Quote:
Thanks for enlightening me Heibi, didn't realise a big group like Central Anime paid their translators. May I ask what the going rate is?
"Big"? We are not big by any means. We've just been around for a while. I like to keep the amount I pay private. We've paid our translators ever since we started fansubbing. It's not a huge amount but has gone up, naturally, through the years.
Old 2010-08-27, 02:53   Link #8
getfresh
done
*Fansubber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heibi View Post
"Big"? We are not big by any means. We've just been around for a while. I like to keep the amount I pay private. We've paid our translators ever since we started fansubbing. It's not a huge amount but has gone up, naturally, through the years.
I smell sexual favors fufufufufu. j/k
getfresh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-08-29, 09:41   Link #9
mindovermatter
For me the bell tolls

Send a message via AIM to mindovermatter Send a message via MSN to mindovermatter Send a message via Yahoo to mindovermatter
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heibi View Post
does this come out of pocket?
That really shows dedication.
I'm sure there are a thousand newbies out there saying this, but I wish I knew Japanese so I could help make a difference in the fansub community.

School Rumble 4Ever!
I'm on FB search "jym cl"
mindovermatter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-08-29, 10:45   Link #10
Heibi
Ancient Fansubber
*Fansubber

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by mindovermatter View Post
does this come out of pocket?
That really shows dedication.
I'm sure there are a thousand newbies out there saying this, but I wish I knew Japanese so I could help make a difference in the fansub community.
Yes, out of pocket.
Old 2010-08-29, 12:15   Link #11
mindovermatter
For me the bell tolls

Send a message via AIM to mindovermatter Send a message via MSN to mindovermatter Send a message via Yahoo to mindovermatter
you deserve a medal of honor, and I don't mean that sarcastically.

Unfortunately I can only give you a cookie. To claim it, just stop by my house within the nex 30 min

School Rumble 4Ever!
I'm on FB search "jym cl"
mindovermatter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-10-15, 19:33   Link #12
Inactive

Send a message via ICQ to Inactive
I don't mind pull out smth from pocket. Anyone interested? Most of oldschool raws are in our thread on bakabt and I'm always here but...
Inactive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-10-18, 03:04   Link #13
tenkenX6
Undead Fansub TL/TLC
*Fansubber

The only problem, just as in any series/movie/etc of any decade, is finding said translators who are actually interested in those 80's OVAs enough to TL them and remain motivated. I personally like a lot of classic anime, so as long as I like what I see, I don't mind helping subbing it. Well, also, if I have the time to help sub them, that is. I'm pretty damn busy with real life obligations these days, so I can't be as efficient as I would like to be. However, I'm always open to negotiations.
tenkenX6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-10-18, 09:42   Link #14
Inactive

Like I said, all available raws mentioned here: http://forums.bakabt.com/index.php?topic=25685.0 If you interested in smth just answer to this topic & we'll talk about it.
Old 2010-10-18, 10:27   Link #15
Quarkboy
Translator, Producer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inactive View Post
Like I said, all available raws mentioned here: http://forums.bakabt.com/index.php?topic=25685.0 If you interested in smth just answer to this topic & we'll talk about it.
I just finished translating 3 episodes of Jarinko Chie (The official international title is "Downtown Story") for TMS Entertainment, actually.

If you are interested in the show, I suspect you could officially license it for extremely cheap if you approached them with an offer.
Sam Pinansky
Quarkboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-10-18, 12:11   Link #16
Daiz
Pioneer in Fansub 2.0

Haha, that'd actually be pretty interesting. If it was indeed pretty damn cheap, they could license it for worldwide internet distribution and release it for free.

Though of course that depends on what definition of "cheap" we are actually talking about...
Daiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-10-18, 15:49   Link #17
Quarkboy
Translator, Producer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daiz View Post
Haha, that'd actually be pretty interesting. If it was indeed pretty damn cheap, they could license it for worldwide internet distribution and release it for free.

Though of course that depends on what definition of "cheap" we are actually talking about...
I bet you could get it for $150 an episode cash up front for internet distribution only (at 103 episodes that's only $15,000). Although they might not like the sound of "give it away for free"... You'd obviously have to region lock Japan out at least, though.
Sam Pinansky
Old 2010-10-19, 12:53   Link #18
MaiNoKen
◕ ‿‿ ◕
*Scanlator

I myself enjoy some old school shows and used to be a subber for some of the old school shows (does people still remember #aikousha, laugh). I do feel there is where fansubbers can really help bring anime out to the fans. Newer shows are far more likely to get licensed.

However, I, just like other people are more familiar with old school stuff, am just too occupied with career and family issues. If you really want to start putting money numbers down, I will have to say making my boss happy worth more than 150 dollars for translating.
MaiNoKen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-10-25, 06:22   Link #19
Inactive

Is it me, or this topic goes to the wrong direction? Although CR stuff reading us now might be very interested...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quarkboy View Post
I just finished translating 3 episodes of Jarinko Chie (The official international title is "Downtown Story") for TMS Entertainment, actually.
For what purpose they need these subs after all?
Old 2010-10-25, 08:00   Link #20
Quarkboy
Translator, Producer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inactive View Post
Is it me, or this topic goes to the wrong direction? Although CR stuff reading us now might be very interested...
For what purpose they need these subs after all?
First, the TMS stuff has nothing to do with CR. I do translations for lots of people (including CR).

And to answer your question, TMS would like to have a couple (2-3) of episodes of their best catalog titles with english subs for sales purposes. They can send these to prospective buyers.

Also (and this part is purely speculation), it's possible that they could sell them to venues like in-flight entertainment on ANA flights, where they request english subtitled versions of Japanese content... That would also be fine with just a couple random episodes.
Sam Pinansky

Tags
80's anime, ova