AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat > News & Politics

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2012-01-31, 22:39   Link #21
Xellos-_^
Not Enough Sleep

Nothing new here, rumors about Disney being more ruthless then the Italian mob or South American Drug Lords has been around since the 90s.
Old 2012-01-31, 22:42   Link #22
Dr. Casey

Quote:
Originally Posted by aohige View Post
Ironic considering the origin of the Lion King in the first place. *cough*
Haha. Yeah... Disney sucks.

I'm relieved that the story was a fake, at least. Spares me the effort of raging over "Disney/Nintendo/The RIAA/Some other corrupt company overzealously defends their intellectual property in the most disgusting manner possible" Story # 6,843,922.
Old 2012-02-01, 09:25   Link #23
C.A.
Absolute Haruhist!
*Artist

Just want to talk about a few points regarding Disney as a corporate and animation studio, do not mix the two of them together.

Firstly, Walt Disney himself was never an animator, he had always been a producer, he pays animators, writers and directors to make animation.

The Disney corporate has indeed become a greedy entertainment business over the years, no longer the truly great animation studio it was. Anyone can bash its business methods anyhow, but not the animation itself.

In the Disney studios were geniuses of animation, with traditional hand drawn animation that is unrivaled even now. The Nine Old Men, basically created modern animation, set up all the fundamentals and techniques. They were magicians with the pencil and paper, granting life to anything that can be drawn.

Disney only started to lose money after the grand project of Fantasia, where they brought animation to such a high level of art that they blew their budget. They had to make money with lesser quality, 'family themed' productions after that. before that, Disney was all sorts of crazy, Mickey Mouse was a jerk and way more dynamic and interesting. In some ways, Disney became the money grabbing corporate it is now because they invested too much in the art of animation.
When I say 'My god...', god refers to Haruhi-sama.

My art album updated 11th May 2013, Science.
Deviant Art: http://ca0001.deviantart.com/
Old 2012-02-01, 09:48   Link #24
DonQuigleone
Knight Errant

Quote:
Originally Posted by C.A. View Post
Just want to talk about a few points regarding Disney as a corporate and animation studio, do not mix the two of them together.

Firstly, Walt Disney himself was never an animator, he had always been a producer, he pays animators, writers and directors to make animation.

The Disney corporate has indeed become a greedy entertainment business over the years, no longer the truly great animation studio it was. Anyone can bash its business methods anyhow, but not the animation itself.

In the Disney studios were geniuses of animation, with traditional hand drawn animation that is unrivaled even now. The Nine Old Men, basically created modern animation, set up all the fundamentals and techniques. They were magicians with the pencil and paper, granting life to anything that can be drawn.

Disney only started to lose money after the grand project of Fantasia, where they brought animation to such a high level of art that they blew their budget. They had to make money with lesser quality, 'family themed' productions after that. before that, Disney was all sorts of crazy, Mickey Mouse was a jerk and way more dynamic and interesting. In some ways, Disney became the money grabbing corporate it is now because they invested too much in the art of animation.
Indeed. Just watch a clip from Snow White, and you can see that the quality of their work is unrivalled, even today. Really fluid and lively. It's a quality that's very rare even in more modern productions. Check it out. Don't forget that Snow White was the first movie of it's kind, fully animated feature film and in colour (this was in 1937!).

Though I have to correct the assertion that Disney wasn't an animator and only a producer, he did a fair amount of animation himself (particularly early in his career) but he delegated more of it as he got older. But he was still the head of the studio, and responsible for many aspects of the animation process, and many of the innovations Disney Studios created. It was Roy Disney who was the main businessman and was uninvolved in any of the animation operation.
Old 2012-02-01, 09:53   Link #25
MakubeX2
うるとらぺど

......Have you ever wonder that despite the success of Kingdom Hearts in Japan (and in the west as well.), there hasn't been a doujin in sight ? Not even yaoi stuffs thought out by fujoushi in the market ?

Bit strange, don't you agree ? When it's well known that those insane fans have almost no respect for the character when it comes to their own wild fantasy. So much so they had no qualms about making them known to the mass public.

The reason is simple, the rights to Kingdom Hearts is own by Disney, not by Square Enix. Square Enix pretty much ignored any doujin related activities. But the fans knows full well that Disney will no doubt bankrupt and murder anyone who published a Yaoi Doujin featuring Sora, Riku and Roxas. Sad, since I really want a yuri doujin featuring Kairi and Namine.

Finally, anyone wants to speculate why Disney owns the right to a series of games that they never lend a hand in programming and publishing ? All they do is give agreements to feature their most well known characters.

Last edited by MakubeX2; 2012-02-01 at 10:40.
Old 2012-02-01, 10:38   Link #26
Dhomochevsky
temporary safeguard

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonQuigleone View Post
Indeed. Just watch a clip from Snow White, and you can see that the quality of their work is unrivalled, even today. Really fluid and lively. It's a quality that's very rare even in more modern productions. Check it out. Don't forget that Snow White was the first movie of it's kind, fully animated feature film and in colour (this was in 1937!).

Though I have to correct the assertion that Disney wasn't an animator and only a producer, he did a fair amount of animation himself (particularly early in his career) but he delegated more of it as he got older. But he was still the head of the studio, and responsible for many aspects of the animation process, and many of the innovations Disney Studios created. It was Roy Disney who was the main businessman and was uninvolved in any of the animation operation.
If this was a modern piece, I would not be too impressed. Everything that moves seem to morph around too much. Nothing seems to keeps it's form, even when it's supposed to be solid.
I know, we are trained to shout "QUALITY!" when see animations like this, because this is typically the result of it being hand drawn. And today hand drawn usually means quality. Or at least high cost.
But back then they clearly had too much of it.
Or they were lacking some important techniques to keep items consistent over many frames. Something like that is going on in there.
Old 2012-02-01, 10:40   Link #27
C.A.
Absolute Haruhist!
*Artist

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonQuigleone View Post

Snow White is definitely a masterpiece, the part that has fascinated me the most and made me watched over and over again is when she danced with the dwarfs playing music. The fluidity and softness of cloth animated in Snow White is amazing, its as if its an ncloth in Maya.

I'm convinced myself as an animator that there has yet an animation in Japan that could match the technical mastery in animation that Snow White has displayed, not even Ghibli films.

And I think by the time Walt Disney created the Walt Disney studios, he has moved over to the position of producer. He may have designed Mickey Mouse, but the animations of Mickey and all the films were done by the masters in his studio.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dhomochevsky View Post
If this was a modern piece, I would not be too impressed. Everything that moves seem to morph around too much. Nothing seems to keeps it's form, even when it's supposed to be solid.
I know, we are trained to shout "QUALITY!" when see animations like this, because this is typically the result of it being hand drawn. And today hand drawn usually means quality. Or at least high cost.
But back then they clearly had too much of it.
That you do not understand, we traditional 2D animators actually hate static lines, it makes the scene look dead.

The wriggling likes of traditional hand drawn animation is an important aspect of the liveliness of the scene.
When I say 'My god...', god refers to Haruhi-sama.

My art album updated 11th May 2013, Science.
Deviant Art: http://ca0001.deviantart.com/
Old 2012-02-01, 10:48   Link #28
james0246

Considering the story in question has turned out to be fake, I'm going to close this thread for now. If someone would like to make a General Disney thread, please do so; or if the OP would like to turn this thread into a General Disney thread, then please contact me.
Closed Thread