Twilight Impersonator

Smile Supergirl tv series

WHOO-HOO!

Quote:
Breaking News: Supergirl's Getting a TV Show
Fri, 09/19/2014 - 9:00am
Author:
Tim Beedle

Looks like the Man of Steel isn’t the only Kryptonian you’ll soon be seeing on screen.

Yes, the news of its development broke a few weeks ago, but today it was made official. As reported this morning, Berlanti Productions, in association with Warner Bros. Television, will be producing a Supergirl television series for CBS, which has given the show a series commitment.

If the Berlanti name sounds familiar to you, it should. It’s the production company of Greg Berlanti, the Executive Producer of both Arrow and the upcoming The Flash. He’ll serve as Executive Producer of Supergirl as well, along with Ali Adler and Sarah Schechter. As for what fans can expect from the show, it sounds like Berlanti and team will be keeping pretty faithful to the comics:

Born on the planet Krypton, Kara Zor-el escaped amid its destruction years ago. Since arriving on Earth, she’s been hiding the powers she shares with her famous cousin. But now at age 24, she decides to embrace her superhuman abilities and be the hero she was always meant to be.

Supergirl first appeared in ACTION COMICS #252 back in May, 1959, and eventually went on to become one of the core members of the Superman family. This won’t be her first onscreen appearance, having previously been the star of a 1984 feature film starring Helen Slater, as well as a supporting character on The CW’s Smallville. She’s also appeared in animation, including Superman: The Animated Series and Justice League Unlimited, as well in several DC Universe Original Animated Movies, including the recent Superman: Unbound.

Look for more news on her most recent live action iteration here on DCComics.com as it breaks.
This is SO exciting!
I was thinking about this last night.

[fanboy mode engage]
How I'd do it: The Final Fantasy X approach.

Start in Zanarkand, er I mean, Krypton, with Kara as just a regular kryptonian teenage girl, hooking up with her krypton friends, babysitting Kal, watching her dad having heated debates with his brother, etc.
Now here's the twist.
The first 10 minutes of Kara's setup, everybody speaks kryptonian.
Remember how they hired linguists to develop a whole new language for the Man of Steel movie?
Use that.

Then, all of a sudden, a distressed call from dad to come home, skies change color, an earthquake ensues, a building collapses and Kara passes out...

... to wake up in a corn field near an impact crater, under a blue sky.

Around her, cars have stopped and people run toward her screaming in a strange, alien language:
"- aar ooo aw rite?"

[/fanboy mode]
sunset is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-09-20, 22:09   Link #2
Mr Hat and Clogs
Did someone call a doctor

Well, that's pretty awesome. I just hope it isn't horrible like that last effort which reduced her to little more then a bumbling cheerleader.
Old 2014-09-21, 19:27   Link #3
sunset
Twilight Impersonator

The Helen Slater movie?

Don't knock it, I showed my 6 years old niece the first 3 minutes of her arrival on earth and it got her excited enough to run around the house with a blanket over her back, going "- I'm Suuuupergirl!".

If it's as good as Arrow, I'll be a happy camper.

IMHO, the difference between a good superheroine movie/series and a bad one is getting onboard in key positions people who love the project instead of people who are just doing it for a paycheck.
sunset is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-09-22, 01:58   Link #4
hawkeyesvn
The old ace of Arlington

Will she have big "most common super power" like her "Power Girl" counterpart?. And if possible, I hope they change her dress into pant. A flying girl with a dress gonna be a nightmare for the editors ( Unless she wear a spat/bike short under her dress ).
Old 2014-09-22, 05:31   Link #5
Patriot's Blade
its Ghost Madoka time!!!

Send a message via Yahoo to Patriot's Blade
also another problem is considering how they bait the demographic these days: boobies!!
please stay away from the comic book costume designs.......
"legends said that Alto Saotome made a correct decision, he left both Ranka Lee & Sheryl Nome to marry the skies & proceed to make love with her, it was a long sight to behold according to the witnesses, the sky is now pregnant"
Patriot's Blade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-09-22, 11:05   Link #6
Frontier

If they don't go with the more... revealing Supergirl costumes (The Classic skirt and top that doesn't cover her midriff, or the New 52 leotard-ish outfit), I can see them instead going for a full-on bodysuit like Superman's.
Old 2014-09-22, 11:51   Link #7
milan kyuubi
Call me MK! :)
*Graphic Designer

This could be how they may make the costume look! More Smallville-ish...
Images
Sorry; dynamic content not loaded. Reload?
Old 2014-09-22, 18:09   Link #8
Mr Hat and Clogs

^^ something like that, or a leotard/skirt combo I reckon is what they'll use. To give it a more modern spin or, to emphasise her inherent athletic side.
Old 2014-09-23, 09:10   Link #9
james0246

Damn DC is whoring themselves out to everyone: Gotham on Fox, Arrow and The Flash on the CW, and a Teen Titans in the works with TNT, plus there is rumours about a Suicide Squad television show or movie. Even if Marvel beats them at the theatres, it seems DC will own the the small screen in all forms.

Sadly, CBS is not a network known for teen shows, so I'm unclear how much of a "girl" Supergirl will be; and with her being in her mid-twenties, isn't calling her a girl a bit sexiest? There is a reason the comics seldom show her beyond her teens/college age. Whatever the case, I am definitely interested, especially if this is an official part of the WB film franchise.
james0246 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-09-23, 09:26   Link #10
GDB

There's also rumors that Blue Beetle will get his own series if he's not in (Teen) Titans. This coming from an interview on Arrow where they were going to put him in season 3, and had been dropping Ted Kord hints for a while (supposedly), but were then told they couldn't because there were "other plans" for him. So, they're using a different hero for season 3.
GDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-09-23, 10:13   Link #11
Mr Hat and Clogs

@James, when has it ever stopped a TV network from casting a mid 20's actress/actor to play a highschool student, lol. Reminds of an old simpsons episode, with some crusty 45 yr old dude playing a highschool student or standing in for Bart, I can't quite remember now.
Old 2014-09-23, 20:40   Link #12
Frontier

Quote:
Originally Posted by GDB View Post
There's also rumors that Blue Beetle will get his own series if he's not in (Teen) Titans. This coming from an interview on Arrow where they were going to put him in season 3, and had been dropping Ted Kord hints for a while (supposedly), but were then told they couldn't because there were "other plans" for him. So, they're using a different hero for season 3.
Kord Industries had been mentioned in season 1 of Arrow, while there were a few more mentions in season 2 as well as Clock King robbing one of their buildings. Ted has also recently reappeared in the comics, which might be related to the plans DC might now have with the character.
Old 2015-05-13, 16:55   Link #13
Nerroth
NePoi!

Old 2015-05-13, 17:17   Link #14
monster

It seems like they just gave the whole first episode away. Still, I'm looking forward to this.
monster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-05-13, 17:32   Link #15
AntonKutovoi

Sweet Jesus, that looked more like a Saturday Night Live parody.
AntonKutovoi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-05-13, 18:10   Link #16
MrTerrorist
Takao Tsundere Cruiser

Well that was unique to watch.
Kinda feels upbeat and not serious enough like Arrow and The Flash.
I will wait until it airs to give a proper judgement.
Old 2015-05-13, 18:16   Link #17
FlareKnight
User of the "Fast Draw"

Send a message via AIM to FlareKnight Send a message via MSN to FlareKnight
It didn't seem too bad to me. I'll certainly give it a look to see how the first few episodes turn out.
Old 2015-05-13, 19:40   Link #18
Mr Hat and Clogs

Huh, that doesn't look too bad at all. Little campy but can't be helped. Guess they're skipping the long build up like Smallville. Wonder how long before they meet, as I'm sure they will have a crossover episode at some point.
Old 2015-05-13, 19:57   Link #19
monster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Hat and Clogs View Post
Wonder how long before they meet, as I'm sure they will have a crossover episode at some point.
Who are these "they" you are talking about?
monster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-05-13, 20:09   Link #20
Mr Hat and Clogs

Her and Superman. She has the picture of him (hanging on her wall presumably) she got from James, so he is around.

Tags
series