Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > Video Games

Notices

Old 2010-02-25, 17:36   Link #1
Mirrinus
Bemused Scholar

Labyrinth of Touhou - Touhou Meets Etrian Odyssey

Anyone else playing this game?

Labyrinth of Touhou is a fan-made RPG based on the Touhou Project series. It's a dungeon crawler similar to games like Etrian Odyssey, focusing on exploring complex dungeons while fighting challenging battles along the way.

The game stars a total of 40 different characters from the Touhou series, each with their own unique skills, stats, and specialties. You can have an active party of 4, with up to 8 characters in reserve to be swapped in during battle. A huge amount of the game's strategy comes from wisely managing your party both in and out of battle: switching in glass cannons at opportune moments, buffing yourself or debuffing enemies, keeping your tanks in good shape, etc. Pretty much everyone is usable for the most part, so the game offers a large amount of customization for your team. The skill point distribution system gives you further control over your team's growth.

Characters can be further augmented with a wide variety of equipment, much of which are shout-outs to other games and anime. Besides basic stats, there are also status resistances and elemental affinities. All skill point bonuses, level up bonuses, and equipment bonuses to stats work on a percent basis, so they have a much bigger effect on characters who naturally have a high base value in that particular stat. This further encourages specialization among characters.

Battles use an active time bar system, with each character possessing a separate wait bar influenced by their speed and delay of each action. Character order matters, with the first person in your party being more likely to be attacked, as well as taking more damage from row-based attacks. SP is basically the same as MP in other games, and TP is consumed after each battle or upon being switched out. All HP is recovered at the end of each battle, but the more HP lost results in more TP being consumed. A character with 0 TP will automatically leave the party after battle, and can only be regained upon leaving the dungeon. The same goes for dead characters, as there is no way to revive anyone until you exit the dungeon, so keeping characters alive is an essential priority for tough expeditions and boss battles.

Exploration is a huge part of the game. Many floors have their own gimmick that can range from cool to annoying, such as teleport mazes, switch puzzles, or one-way paths. Treasure chests and boss battles are scattered everywhere, of course. One thing I liked about the game design was that by fully exploring every floor, I was able to fight enough battles to reach a good level for the next boss, so level grinding wasn't necessary for most of the game. The first time I had to level grind was on floor 16 (with floor 20 being the final boss), and that was only because I neglected the Eientei characters and needed more battle points to recruit Kaguya. Still, save often, as you never know when you'll accidentally run into a boss who will wipe the floor with you. Many boss fights require specific strategies to defeat, so expect to get some game overs while figuring out what to do.

The game is pretty easy to find if you just google it, and there is a page for the game under construction at the Touhou Project wiki. An English patch is also available for download. Since the game still isn't that well-known, and the English wiki is still largely under construction, it's best to just ask for help on forums right now.

The game is fairly long, as the main story took me about 30 hours to complete, not counting all those game overs. I'm currently working on the post-game content, which depending on the player can take even longer than the main game (lots of level grinding in the Plus Disk). I'd recommend this game for RPG fans in general, not just Touhou fans (although that's a huge plus), as I was surprised by the level of strategy, customization, and scope that a mere fan-made game had to offer.

After I complete the Plus Disk content (which could take a while), I was thinking of using the buggy 2.06 patch to begin a New Game +, starting the game with all characters unlocked (at level 1 of course). I hope to run a Let's Play of the game using only a single team to be determined by vote. Would anyone be interested in seeing that?
Mirrinus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-02-25, 18:01   Link #2
Eisdrache
Part-time misanthrope

Touhou RPG

brb downloading
edit: "“Œ•‚–‹{ ver1.13ƒpƒbƒ`ƒ_ƒEƒ“ƒ[ƒh" I wonder if this means Download Touhou Labyrinth.

After getting the 8.5MB file on the official page and then clicking "Start Game" I get this:

edit2: Seems like the torrent file is ... stuck at 0.0% -_-

Last edited by Eisdrache; 2010-02-25 at 18:36.
Eisdrache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-02-25, 18:48   Link #3
Mirrinus
Bemused Scholar

Rename all game folders with Japanese names into English. This solves the problem for most people. If you're still having problems, you might need to change your computer's regional settings.
Old 2010-02-25, 20:37   Link #4
Wrath88
Kissing...

Okay! Definitely gotta get this. I'd pick Suika and Sakuya for sure.
Old 2010-02-26, 01:09   Link #5
Clarste
Human

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mirrinus View Post
Rename all game folders with Japanese names into English. This solves the problem for most people. If you're still having problems, you might need to change your computer's regional settings.
Rename them to what? Anything?
Clarste is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-02-26, 01:47   Link #6
Mirrinus
Bemused Scholar

Yeah, pretty much. I just named them "Labyrinth of Touhou" or something.

And I just got my butt handed to me by Yuka. Beauties of Nature for 30k+ damage to all, ouch. Time to grind and get some nature-resistant gear.

On the plus side, I took down the Fern Sigil boss on my third try. After having all of my damage dealers killed by Magical Hellfire while trying to whittle down its ridiculous 11 million HP, I was left with a few tanks and Mystia. Somehow, speedy Mystia managed to land several quick blows for a mere 40k damage apiece for the kill.

Mystia's fast becoming my new favorite character.
Old 2010-08-07, 10:41   Link #7
draganuv

I'm still having troubles

it works for like a few seconds and then shuts down, i'm also having problems getting japanese locale, so could anyone post the link to the appropiatefiles to get applocale to work please
draganuv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-08-13, 15:46   Link #8
SuzushinaYuriko
SHSL Lurker

I've been playing Labyrinth of Touhou for a while now. I have version 3.01, am at level 493, and currently attempting to fight the Dual Hibachi Ver. 2. I really love the Special Disc since you can replace the artwork of the characters with whatever you choose and Nitori's damage has really been boosted up. I use her all the time now for excellent neutral damage (2.9 mil is the highest I've seen buffed up).

For Yuka...actually, I don't remember what I did when I fought Yuka since Yuka Ver. 3 is so easy... Just boost up your nature affinity, bring along Reimu/Yukari, grind a little, and make sure to KO her when she focuses or else you'll be Master Sparked into oblivion. I heard that she's weak to cold and fire, so you might wanna bring Yuugi and Patchy along.

Oh wait. Is that you, Parallaxal? If it is, then you'd probably already know this... Thanks for all your contributions to Labyrinth of Touhou. Your videos have convinced me to use Iku, Rumia, and Nitori now, and they're really useful.

For the other person, if you need help, you can always look at the Labyrinth of Touhou page in the Touhou wikia. If it's working for a bit and then shutting down it's probably a problem with the font. Make sure to download the fonts included with the English patch (even though I don't really like them and the original font was better...)

Last edited by SuzushinaYuriko; 2010-08-13 at 16:05.
SuzushinaYuriko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-08-16, 23:13   Link #9
Izayoi
I LOVE FLAN_CHAN
*Graphic Designer

Send a message via MSN to Izayoi
I played this and got to around level 4/5... then lost my save data :<. The difficulties aren't as hard as Etrian Odyssey, but it is a pretty good RPG.

Last edited by Izayoi; 2010-11-09 at 18:01.
Izayoi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-08-16, 23:46   Link #10
Hooves
~Official Slacker~
*Author

This game sounds interesting for me to torrent if their are any torrent files for it.

But I would be very confused on the whole storyline even before I start, so I probably shouldn't attempt
Old 2010-08-17, 08:43   Link #11
Kyero Fox
Tastes Cloudy

This reminds me, when's the new one with "more male character" coming out

And before someone says anything rude. I like a lot of the female characters. Too many to pic a #1 and that's a problem

Last edited by Kyero Fox; 2010-08-17 at 09:12.
Kyero Fox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-11-08, 21:58   Link #12
Flere821
Lurker

I've just started playing this game - anyone has any general hints for a newbie like me? ^^;

This is probably the first time that I played something like this too.
Flere821 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-11-09, 10:09   Link #13
RegalStar
Mishaguji-sama

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flere821 View Post
I've just started playing this game - anyone has any general hints for a newbie like me? ^^;

This is probably the first time that I played something like this too.
1) For random encounters, use fast characters with group attacks to wipe them out before they can attack you. On upper floors you won't be able to knock them out in one hit so if you need to switch around attackers, paralyze them with fast characters.

2) Have a good understanding of what bosses are capable of and prepare your tanks appropriately. Make very good use of switching to ensure your nukes can dish out damage without exposing themselves from getting hit. Always remember that - with single target attacks they tend to target the people in the first two slots more often, and some multi-target attacks are actually row-target that does a fraction of its damage to the people in latter two slots.

3) In terms of stat raising, remember that most everything is in precentages - base stats is always same, so my level 30 Sakuya would have the same base stat as your level 30 Sakuya. Therefore, don't put any level-up points in the stats that a character is naturally weak in (a level-up point in DEF for patchouli is basically a point wasted). It's fine to put a little skill points though since it still takes a lot less SP to raise Patchy's DEF to level 1 to level 10 than to raise her MAG from level 80 to level 81, for example.

4) Stats again - EVA is bugged and doesn't work, so don't put anything in it ever. Extra SP won't remain useful for long since having 1000 SP is generally as good as having 1300 SP for people like Reimu or Rumia, for example, so don't put level-up bonus in SP either and just raise a bit of it via SP at early game, and note when you stop having problem with their usage so you don't put too many points in it. Affinity works by modifying elemental damage by 100/affinity, so you get a better bang for your buck by raising below100 affinities.

5) Read the Touhou Wiki's section on this game.

6) Nitori is the best attacker ever. </opinion>
RegalStar is offline   Reply With Quote