AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Muv-Luv Franchise

Notices

Old 2013-08-13, 07:32   Link #1381
Alastor Mobius Toth
Idar Lead

Are macross guns coilguns/railguns?

Because regular Muv-Luv Assault Cannon are supposedly "regular" firearms.
Alastor Mobius Toth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-08-13, 07:41   Link #1382
wavehawk
Some say I'm the Reverse

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alastor Mobius Toth View Post
- The VF-1 series' guns (original Macross series) are basically pod-mounted autocannon, but anything from Macross Plus onward...I dunno.
wavehawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-08-13, 08:12   Link #1383
Fireminer
Lumine Passio
*Author

Well, at least a few years before Macross Frontier, Railgun had already became standard armanment!
Fireminer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-08-13, 11:38   Link #1384
John117xCortana

Quote:

I'd say that Frontier era gunpods are hybird coilguns. They work like regular cannons except that it has magnetic coils in the barrels to further accelerate the projectile as it travels down the barrel.
John117xCortana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-08-14, 00:47   Link #1385
Wild Goose
Truth Martyr
*Author

Quote:

Standard gatling gunpods are still normal rounds. No coil mechanism that is seen so far, and if they were using coilguns, Kawamori would have said so. So, yeah, like the Assault Cannons, the round will consist of the bullet (which by Frontier is apparently 58mm SAPHEI, as opposed to 36mm HVAP), the propellant, primer, and cartridge.

The sniper rifle carried by the VF-25S is a railgun, incidentally, rather than a coilgun, probably because railguns have already been used on other weapons for almost 50 years.

The other option is beam cannons - the VF-27's beam rifle is hax because it has a high power mode that basically turns it from a 20mm autocannon into a fucking 16 inch gun. Note also that that's a new thing, and that while beam rifles exist, they're more like semiautos or bolt actions in terms of ROF.

I believe in miracles.

Wild Goose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-08-14, 07:15   Link #1386
Fireminer
Lumine Passio
*Author

Well, this might be weird, but which elements should be present in a girl character of Muv-Luv?
Old 2013-08-14, 10:46   Link #1387
Chibiloli

Well, Thanks for all the help you guys, but what type of Gunpod's doesn't matter, if the VF-1 gunpods can pierce Zentraedi Powered armor, and since it uses DU shells, then DU shells from an Assault Cannon can probably do the job as well.
Old 2013-08-14, 11:36   Link #1388
Wild Goose
Truth Martyr
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fireminer View Post
Well, this might be weird, but which elements should be present in a girl character of Muv-Luv?
Why don't you tell use what YOU think, Fireminer, because I'm starting to get very tired of having to flesh out your ideas for you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chibiloli View Post
Well, Thanks for all the help you guys, but what type of Gunpod's doesn't matter, if the VF-1 gunpods can pierce Zentraedi Powered armor, and since it uses DU shells, then DU shells from an Assault Cannon can probably do the job as well.
We don't know if it uses DU, and not all DU ammo is designed the same way; the 20mm SAPHEI shells the M61 Vulcan use won't have the same properties as the 30mm API shells in the GAU-8 Avenger, becuase they're designed differently. Note that the 35mm gunpod the VF-0 carried used AHEAD, which is something completely different as well.

I believe in miracles.

Old 2013-08-14, 16:18   Link #1389
Fireminer
Lumine Passio
*Author

@Wild Goose: Well, don't like, don't talk! I am just the asking type. If that annoyed you, then you simply stop respond to my post!
Old 2013-08-14, 18:59   Link #1390
Chibiloli

@wildgoose, I see, where's sasahara17 when you need him?
Old 2013-08-14, 19:08   Link #1391
Fireminer
Lumine Passio
*Author

sasahara17 just sent me a message to complain about my reaction to Goose's post.
Old 2013-08-14, 20:34   Link #1392
Wild Goose
Truth Martyr
*Author

Quote:
@Wild Goose: Well, don't like, don't talk! I am just the asking type. If that annoyed you, then you simply stop respond to my post!
But if I said nothing, you would continue as you are.

Asking questions about a setting is fine. But what you're doing is asking blindly, without doing even the barest minimum of research, and expecting others to fill in the gaps of your knowledge and do your worldbuilding and characterisation for you.

No.

You are the author of your stories. You are the person responsible for thinking through your ideas and telling them. You need to put more thought into what you are doing.

I'm going to repeat a quote that I've been told: "Slow is smooth, smooth is fast, fast is lethal."

Take your time and plan out how you want your story to go. Thoughtfully consider and think about how you want things to move. And then you can write, and write smoothly.

I'm not saying that there isn't a place for sudden inspiration - Evaluation and Belligerent UST were speedwrites - but for the most part, you can't rely on sudden inspiration.

Why should I devote time and effort away from my own works in order to do your work for you?

Quote:
Dunno where sasahara is, probably caught up with IRL stuff. For me, I'm on sick leave - post-op recovery - so I have more time online.

As for the guns, the thing to remember is that caliber isn't a correct determinant of whether something penetrates or not, and then there's the issue that your rounds may overpenetrate with little damage. Having said that, at the end of the day if you can believably sell your idea, then people will forgive the inaccuracies. Airwolf has plenty of errors and Just Plane Wrong, but I forgive it all because it's an entertaining show, and Airwolf is cool.

I believe in miracles.

Last edited by Wild Goose; 2013-08-14 at 21:28.
Old 2013-08-14, 21:27   Link #1393
Fireminer
Lumine Passio
*Author

Ah yes, the question of research! You see, my ML fic is merely just a experiment for my crossover. And itself is also another experiment for my Code Geass fic. So you could say that I AM taking my time!
Also, only Alastor and MrTerrorist have been kindly enough to answer my questions. So you see that I don't expect feedback. It's more of a "Reader Survey" per se. (Not to mention the aftershock of swaping Meiya and Yuuhi's roles.)
Old 2013-08-14, 22:58   Link #1394
sasahar17

Quote:
I've actually been around, it's just that I haven't thought of anything meaningful to contribute. I tend to keep my mouth shut unless I'm sure what I have to say will be interesting, novel or relevant to someone's interests.
sasahar17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-08-15, 12:23   Link #1395
MrTerrorist
Takao Tsundere Cruiser

Quote:
Ah yes, the question of research! You see, my ML fic is merely just a experiment for my crossover. And itself is also another experiment for my Code Geass fic. So you could say that I AM taking my time!
Also, only Alastor and MrTerrorist have been kindly enough to answer my questions. So you see that I don't expect feedback. It's more of a "Reader Survey" per se. (Not to mention the aftershock of swaping Meiya and Yuuhi's roles.)
Just so you know, we can help and try to answer some of your questions but don't do it everytime since it can be annoying for some of us.

A new user kept asking me questions everyday so i unfriended that user to make the questions stop.
Old 2013-08-15, 15:53   Link #1396
Fireminer
Lumine Passio
*Author

Ok, ok! I will stop asking questions without thinking first, allright? Just recceived a long and hammered lecture from my twin.
Oh, and I returned my previous words with WG.
Old 2013-08-16, 00:37   Link #1397
John117xCortana

The latest chapter of Causality Conductor is up.

It's odd to read a Muv Luv fanfic crossover that doesn't have one of it's iconic features. The TSFs.
Old 2013-08-16, 10:43   Link #1398
MrTerrorist
Takao Tsundere Cruiser

Updated the tropes at MuvLuv DYRL
Old 2013-08-21, 01:22   Link #1399
John117xCortana

New chapter for One Last Time Into The Loop. http://www.fanfiction.net/s/7112821/77/

Looks like Yuuhi needs to choose someone to marry...although I think we all know who she has in mind. But that would...complicate things considering the fact that he's with the UN and he's suppose to be dead.

As for Yoroi Sakon, I can't help but wonder whats he planning to do. I get the feeling that those contraband weapons are going to lead him to Allegiance.
Old 2013-08-22, 22:21   Link #1400
Hagoshod
Banned

Send a message via AIM to Hagoshod
I watched Les Miserables yesterday and now I have some ideas for a fourth chapter for my Izumi fanfiction.

Last edited by Hagoshod; 2013-08-23 at 14:18.
Hagoshod is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fanfiction, harem