AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired M-Z > Umineko

Notices

Old 2010-03-30, 23:14   Link #7421
Renall
BUY MY BOOK!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by chronotrig View Post
Well, it almost certainly includes Kanontrice, but if you look at the section immediately before that, they're clearly talking about Shkanon. There's this whole thing about "Why is it wrong for furniture to fall in love?" "Don't you think it's wrong for a married man to fall in love with another woman?" "Of course." "There you go. Neither of the two duelists makes up a full person." "???"
And there's no way (besides Kinzo=Kanon) for Kanon to be anywhere except the cousins' room, unless he's one of the people in the neighboring room.
No, you don't have to interpret this as Shkanon. If Shkanon were the only way to read this scene, no one would disagree with it, but it isn't. There's also the whole... you know... magic scene thing? And Kanon being killed and then suddenly being alive again.

Also Kanon = Kinzo is not the only way for Kanon to escape the location check, just as long as he doesn't count as "all other people."
Quote:
By the way, if you do want to try and use Kanontrice here, you must accept that Kanon loves Battler with all his heart...
Ain't nothin' wrong with that.

Also Kanon could be a girl. Heck, in your theory, Kanon is a girl.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ssol View Post
In that scene we were shown flashes of the closed rooms that original Beatrice used from the first four games.

I think it's clear that Beato needed to understand all the closed rooms from the previous games to reach the answer.
But Shkanon isn't necessary to solve any of those closed rooms.
Quote:
That's not what I meant. I mean they realized that Natsuhi wouldn't realize something that simple was a trick.
Sure, that means she's gullible and not intelligent. That doesn't prove how brave she is, nor how noble. How would you even know Natsuhi would or wouldn't be willing to risk her life and suspicion to save Hideyoshi's life? She didn't, but she thought about it seriously.
Renall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-03-30, 23:15   Link #7422
LyricalAura
Dea ex Kakera

Quote:
You have to look through the section just before Beato figures everything out. She's really slow, and needs a lot of prodding before she finally figures out what the answer is. And during her "revelation", there's this long talk that her "mother" has to her (mother is probably former Beatrice), saying that she has now inherited her love for Battler. This makes sense for Shkanontrice, but not at all for Kanon=Kinzo. So you'd have to assume that Beato was lead by the hand by someone trying to suggest Shkanon to her, but then suddenly realized that Kanon was Kinzo.

Do we know that Dlanor didn't catch the faked deaths from EP5? I think she keeps a lot of things hidden from us.
"Mother" was pretty obviously whichever human created Beatrice six years ago, I thought.

Regarding the revelation, I'm not saying she thought about the love trial and suddenly realized "Oh, Kanon's real name is Kinzo." I agree that something like that wouldn't make sense. But she could have realized something about Kanon and Shannon's family situation, such as that they were adopted by Kinzo, and the name thing could be derived indirectly from that.

Please remember that when Zepar and Furfur talk about "less than a full person's love", they're including concepts like a man in love with two women and other things like that. It's not necessarily about personalities.
LyricalAura is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-03-30, 23:17   Link #7423
chronotrig

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renall View Post
Also Kanon = Kinzo is not the only way for Kanon to escape the location check, just as long as he doesn't count as "all other people."Ain't nothin' wrong with that.
And how could Kanon escape the location check? You need to give an actual theory for it if you want to explain anything.

Quote:
No, you don't have to interpret this as Shkanon. If Shkanon were the only way to read this scene, no one would disagree with it, but it isn't. There's also the whole... you know... magic scene thing? And Kanon being killed and then suddenly being alive again.
No, seriously, go back and read it again. The whole section is completely hinting towards Shkanon. The only possible way that Shkanon isn't true is if the person writing this section either guessed totally wrong or was a troll, and for both of those, you need to explain how Beato could have reached the correct answer despite the storyteller being wrong/lying.

www.witch-hunt.com Theory page
chronotrig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-03-30, 23:19   Link #7424
Renall
BUY MY BOOK!!!

Quote:
And how could Kanon escape the location check? You need to give an actual theory for it if you want to explain anything.
His name could be something else that would be easier for Beato to realize (as opposed to making the leap to Kinzo). Ssol's theory about the game resuming just long enough for him to escape or something. There are plenty of these. Don't be disingenous.
Old 2010-03-30, 23:20   Link #7425
Judoh
Mystery buff

Quote:
I posted a link to a theory Ssol had in the epsiode 6 thread couple of pages ago using the actual Japanese that gets around the location check without name games.

Also if not Kinzo his real name could be Rosa or Maria if he's a girl just saying...
Judoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-03-30, 23:21   Link #7426
Renall
BUY MY BOOK!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Judoh View Post
I posted a link to a theory Ssol had in the epsiode 6 thread couple of pages ago using the actual Japanese that gets around the location check without name games.

Also if not Kinzo his real name could be Rosa or Maria if he's a girl just saying...
He's finished. Neither Rosa nor Maria can save him. Note that these don't include the "Ushiromiya." Unless Dlanor is allowed to pick which Maria she means.

Certainly, the message bottles indicate the possibility of a second "Ushiromiya Maria." And Kanon was depicted as being in the room where Rosa and Maria were... But still.
Old 2010-03-30, 23:21   Link #7427
luckyssol

Quote:
But Shkanon isn't necessary to solve any of those closed rooms.
Think about the scene where Battler learned the answer as well. We were shown all the closed rooms from the previous games as well.

My opinion is that they reached the answer by understanding something about how the game itself was presented as a mystery that was solvable by a detective or one who seeks the truth.
Old 2010-03-30, 23:23   Link #7428
Renall
BUY MY BOOK!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ssol View Post
Think about the scene where Battler learned the answer as well. We were shown all the closed rooms from the previous games as well.

My opinion is that they reached the answer by understanding something about how the game itself was presented as a mystery that was solvable by a detective or one who seeks the truth.
I know, I'm just making a point. They don't even have to be solvable as a unified whole. Like you said, it could just be recognizing something about the construction of the mysteries. Battler and Beato might not have even found the "answers" as such, even discovering the "answer." Granted, apparently Beato remembered right quick.
Old 2010-03-30, 23:23   Link #7429
chronotrig

Quote:
"Mother" was pretty obviously whichever human created Beatrice six years ago, I thought.
Here's the section about "mother" (sorry for the rough translation):

Spoiler for size:

Old 2010-03-30, 23:26   Link #7430
Renall
BUY MY BOOK!!!

Logically, doesn't Beatrice have to be created before Kanon in Shkanon? If Beatrice already exists, what's Kanon even for?

EDIT: Chronologically, this is the only construction that works:

Pre-1980: Shannon exists (created from Sayo, so to speak).
1980: Beatrice is created.
1983: Kanon first begins to appear.

The text supports this; the speaker splits a soul with Beatrice first. The talk about sharing a soul between three only comes up after that chronologically. Why bother? You already have Beatrice.
Old 2010-03-30, 23:30   Link #7431
Judoh
Mystery buff

Quote:
He's finished. Neither Rosa nor Maria can save him. Note that these don't include the "Ushiromiya." Unless Dlanor is allowed to pick which Maria she means.

Certainly, the message bottles indicate the possibility of a second "Ushiromiya Maria." And Kanon was depicted as being in the room where Rosa and Maria were... But still.
Well heck what's wrong with Kanon's name really being Beatrice instead of a title called Beatrice? Certainly it would explain the whole scene in episode 1 where Kumasawa, Maria, and all them act like Beatrice is in the room with them and Battler thinks she might be right behind him or something.
Old 2010-03-30, 23:31   Link #7432
chronotrig

Quote:
Logically, doesn't Beatrice have to be created before Kanon in Shkanon? If Beatrice already exists, what's Kanon even for?
Well, turn it around. This sort of proves that Kanontrice doesn't make sense. Kanon never saw Battler until the final family conference, so it's hard to imagine how he could fall in love with Battler. So, EP6 more or less proves that Kanon is Beatrice, but only Shannon was working at the mansion when Battler left. It's looking hard to find a way around Shkanontrice.

Some people have suggested that Kanon represents Kinzo's will. If the Kinzo scenes in EP1 and 2 are flashbacks, then we know that Kinzo decided to write a will, a record of everything he did, back when he still had some time left. It's possible that this was 3 years ago, the time Kanon was created.

Old 2010-03-30, 23:31   Link #7433
Renall
BUY MY BOOK!!!

Quote:
Well heck what's wrong with Kanon's name really being Beatrice instead of a title called Beatrice? Certainly it would explain the whole scene in episode 1 where Kumasawa Maria and all them act like Beatrice is in the room and Battler thinks she might be right behind him or something.
Beatrice would not be excluded from the location check. It is never claimed that "Beatrice" is anywhere, therefore she's "all other people." Unless you're going to argue Kanon was Erika, but then you're screwed when you get to the logic error room, because there's three bodies.
Quote:
Well, turn it around. This sort of proves that Kanontrice doesn't make sense. Kanon never saw Battler until the final family conference, so it's hard to imagine how he could fall in love with Battler. So, EP6 more or less proves that Kanon is Beatrice, but only Shannon was working at the mansion when Battler left. It's looking hard to find a way around Shkanontrice.
Not really. Just because "Kanon" didn't exist doesn't mean Battler never met him (her?). I think Shannontrice makes more sense, but Shkanon is a red herring (or the death of the entire story).
Quote:
Some people have suggested that Kanon represents Kinzo's will. If the Kinzo scenes in EP1 and 2 are flashbacks, then we know that Kinzo decided to write a will, a record of everything he did, back when he still had some time left. It's possible that this was 3 years ago, the time Kanon was created.
In that case, even if Kanon were imaginary, why would he have to be represented by Shannon at all? And what of the person Battler actually meets? If he's a metaphor for Kinzo's will, why does someone have to pretend to actually be him?
Old 2010-03-30, 23:37   Link #7434
chronotrig

Quote:
Not really. Just because "Kanon" didn't exist doesn't mean Battler never met him (her?). I think Shannontrice makes more sense, but Shkanon is a red herring (or the death of the entire story).
But EP6 directly hints towards Kanontrice, especially if you look at the code:

Spoiler for size:

I swear, Ryuukishi does this to torment me... ^^
The main point here is the pronoun switch, but Kanon is apparently the one who says it.

But there's more of this going on with Kanon's tachi-e earlier.

Old 2010-03-30, 23:42   Link #7435
Renall
BUY MY BOOK!!!

What about Doubletrice? I think /jp/ uses that more to describe Shannon and Jessica being Beatrice, but could Kanon and Shannon be Beatrice independently, but differently? Ep6 does provide us two Beatrices. One was created to love Battler, one was the witch legend. Who says these aren't actually two Beatrices? Kanontrice would exist, yet his(her?) Beatrice wouldn't logically be the one who loves Battler since obviously he(she?) wasn't there.
Old 2010-03-30, 23:45   Link #7436
chronotrig

Quote:
What about Doubletrice? I think /jp/ uses that more to describe Shannon and Jessica being Beatrice, but could Kanon and Shannon be Beatrice independently, but differently? Ep6 does provide us two Beatrices. One was created to love Battler, one was the witch legend. Who says these aren't actually two Beatrices? Kanontrice would exist, yet his(her?) Beatrice wouldn't logically be the one who loves Battler since obviously he(she?) wasn't there.
Well, there's also the Beatrice for Kinzo. Remember the scene where Kanon sees Beatrice floating around Kinzo and talking about love. I think that's the second Beatrice we see in EP4 (the first one, Battler's Beatrice, has just given up since Battler denied magic AND forgot about his promise).

Old 2010-03-30, 23:47   Link #7437
Renall
BUY MY BOOK!!!

Still, if Kanon and Shannon are fighting over Beatrice, that colors their relationship in a different light, does it not? They would both be aware of Beatrice, inasmuch as some sort of Beatrice existed and mattered to Kinzo. They could therefore create their own "Beatrices."

There's a lot to suggest there is more than one Beatrice (not counting Meta-Beatrice, Magic Scene Beatrice, Eva-Beatrice, etc.). Different letters, different MOs, I don't think it's thematically improbable.

But of course if Shkanon is true, I sincerely doubt that would happen.
Old 2010-03-30, 23:48   Link #7438
Judoh
Mystery buff

Quote:
Well, there's also the Beatrice for Kinzo. Remember the scene where Kanon sees Beatrice floating around Kinzo and talking about love. I think that's the second Beatrice we see in EP4 (the first one, Battler's Beatrice, has just given up since Battler denied magic AND forgot about his promise).
Kanon talks about the legend with Battler more than Shannon does in episode 1. Shannon doesn't really get a chance to and in other episodes she still doesn't. He could just be the legend's keeper.
Old 2010-03-30, 23:52   Link #7439
luckyssol

@Chronotrig: Is that the only time Kanon used 妾 instead of 僕? Well, we know that's what Beatrice uses.
Old 2010-03-30, 23:52   Link #7440
Renall
BUY MY BOOK!!!

Quote:
Kanon talks about the legend with Battler more than Shannon does in episode 1. Shannon doesn't really get a chance to and in other episodes she still doesn't. He could just be the legend's keeper.
Funny, Author Theory helps this... sorta, anyway.

Shannon's Beatrice loved Battler in her stead. She may have also been the one urging people to solve the epitaph... maybe even knowing what it was for, and hoping to save everyone. Dress-Beato.

Kanon's Beatrice is a prankster and possibly more sinister. She sees the epitaph differently, and enjoys delightful closed rooms. And tricks. And maybe murder. Suit-Beato.

Shannon was the one Battler sinned against (maybe). Kanon is the one trying to make Battler remember.

And Meta-Beatrice is a fusion of both.