AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2012-03-13, 01:46   Link #1021
AkumaPrincess
Witch

I feel like BRS (and most of noitaminA) is trying to break out of the stereotypical moeanimes and create something great, only of fall on their face.

I enjoyed the slice of life of the OVA, but it left me figuring out what did the other world have to do with it. Same with the TV series, it has the potential to be so much, but I'm guessing the 8 episode, 30 minutes a piece budget kills the series. I wanna love the series more than the CG fights, but there are too many places where I'm like "huh?".

Anyway, onto Mato. Honestly, before high school, we really have nothing important to how Mato was or how she was treated. For all we known, she could've been this bullied girl that tried to hold in the emotions that she wanted to express, and hid them so she can be the person where anyone could go to.

We know how she likes to bottle her emotions, like where Kagari was bullying her. She didn't cry until she got home and held onto her book.

I personally like to believe that this is a world that Mato created herself, based on the Li'l Birds Li'l Birds Colorful Colors. Blue is described as the "blue of tears", with Mato being the one expressing blue, hurting because of all of the torment her friends have gone through. Orange is described as the "orange of smiles" going to how Yuu was the one trying to appease Mato (maybe hoping to weaken BRS). We really haven't been told what green and red is in the book, but I guess they'll point to Yomi and Saya. (Or maybe I'm just reading way into the series.)

I do enjoy the series for being interesting and different, since I came 5 days ago not knowing anything about the creation of Black Rock Shooter, it being a song, etc.
AkumaPrincess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-03-13, 04:36   Link #1022
dr_marronflower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demoned Away
Not to get involved with all the arguments happening here but can someone tell me if I'm right? I'm trying to piece together the basic plot of the show, and to me it seems like the counselor is just trying to protect the other world (for some reason that I might have missed?).
Not really, she's triying to protect Yuu. The real Yuu of the flashback. Seems that Yuu and STR switched places, so the real Yuu is sheltered from more pain in the otherworld.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asuras
So, can someone clearly explain what is going on for me?

From what I'm getting, the Otherworld individuals take on the pains of the real-world girls, but become "awakened" when they receive a huge amount of grief. Saya tries to induce this change so that they can defeat Mato/BRS to protect the Otherworld?

So why is BRS even a danger? Why did BRS try to save DM when held back by Chariot, only to kill her in the awakened state?

What is this deal with Yuu/Strength?
Who knows, we dont really have too much information about BRS. Besides that she's Mato otherself, and that she like beheading people.
She existed before the meeting between Mato and Yomi?
Maybe Black just wants to end the otherworld. After all, Mato love Yomi, not DM.

And Yuu and STR, they probably switched places. So the actual shadow-less Yuu is the original STR and the bullied Yuu is sheltered in the Otherworld.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AkumaPrincess
I personally like to believe that this is a world that Mato created herself, based on the Li'l Birds Li'l Birds Colorful Colors. Blue is described as the "blue of tears", with Mato being the one expressing blue, hurting because of all of the torment her friends have gone through. Orange is described as the "orange of smiles" going to how Yuu was the one trying to appease Mato (maybe hoping to weaken BRS). We really haven't been told what green and red is in the book, but I guess they'll point to Yomi and Saya. (Or maybe I'm just reading way into the series.)

I do enjoy the series for being interesting and different, since I came 5 days ago not knowing anything about the creation of Black Rock Shooter, it being a song, etc.
But, if Mato created the otherworld, she must have created it years ago, when Saya was young, when the bullied Yuu was just Yuu. And they doesnt even know each other.
Make more sense if Yuu created the world. Maybe she has a copy of the little bird... or she wrote it.

Anyways, I loved the OVA, and Im loving this series too. The otherworld scenes are fantastic and well interwined with the real life drama. I cant wait for the last episodes.
Crossing my fingers for an happy YomixMato ending.

That said, I liked some things better in the OVA.
The relation between Mato and Yomi was better developed in the OVA. And Deadmaster was far superior in the OVA.
I miss the smirking psychotic bitch that we know and love.
Old 2012-03-13, 07:35   Link #1023
Dark Wing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malkuth View Post
Dunno, first time that the fantasy world got decent screen-time... and it didn't look that good

The storytelling is also a bloody mess, no focus at all, it's like Guilty Gear, Horizon, Death Note, etc. Nice ideas/setting/art, terrible execution
Well not all stories are told in a clean and clear cut manner. Some of them you really have to think and speculate or wait for show to start making things obvious.
Old 2012-03-13, 08:08   Link #1024
Liddo-kun
is this so?

Quote:
Originally Posted by dr_marronflower View Post
Crossing my fingers for an happy YomixMato ending.
Hoping for that one too!

Or at the very least they should become friends again.
Liddo-kun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-03-13, 19:18   Link #1025
Malkuth
Banned

Send a message via MSN to Malkuth
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Wing View Post
Well not all stories are told in a clean and clear cut manner. Some of them you really have to think and speculate or wait for show to start making things obvious.
I agree in principle, but there is a fine line between a surreal or complicated plot versus random and/or plain bad writing
Malkuth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-03-14, 00:42   Link #1026
Demoned Away

Quote:
Originally Posted by dr_marronflower View Post
Not really, she's triying to protect Yuu. The real Yuu of the flashback. Seems that Yuu and STR switched places, so the real Yuu is sheltered from more pain in the otherworld.
Did the switch happen during the most recent episode? I'm really confused now lol. The flashback kinda confused me also since I thought Mato and Yuu were best friends when growing up, not Yuu and Saya.
Demoned Away is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-03-14, 01:47   Link #1027
Sageblink
Speculation is wrong.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demoned Away View Post
Did the switch happen during the most recent episode? I'm really confused now lol. The flashback kinda confused me also since I thought Mato and Yuu were best friends when growing up, not Yuu and Saya.
Well... I would say that the switch happened during the fire at her house or on her way to the hospital.
The last sentence she said to Saya felt like a farewell to me ("do you think I did that ?" or something like that)

For sure, it took place a long time ago.

As for the Mato/Yuu story, seems like fake memories that Strengh/STR put there...
Sageblink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-03-15, 14:27   Link #1028
Iby
minority spirit(?)
*Fansubber

Send a message via ICQ to Iby
So the most time of episode was paid to tell us that Strength switched with Yuu?
Anyway, I need to rewatch it with sub.
Iby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-03-15, 14:40   Link #1029
dan-heron

it was more to explain how the Otherworld works, and why Saya and Saw wanted Rock dead so badly. Also it shows that the power of yuri friendship is enough to challenge and conquer the way the world works.

Spoiler:
dan-heron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-03-15, 14:44   Link #1030
Quarkboy
Translator, Producer

I vote for the Pretty Cure All Stars DX ending where everyone holds hands and a giant rainbow Li'l Bird shoots out to destroy the evil bad things... And then there's a montage of all the otherworld characters having a tea party.
Sam Pinansky
Quarkboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-03-15, 15:14   Link #1031
Cannikin

Just watched episode 7 raw. And interesting episode with plenty of exposition (more interspersed with sweet action than last episode):
Spoiler for Episode 7:

Spoiler for Episode 8 Preview:

Last edited by Cannikin; 2012-03-15 at 15:55.
Cannikin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-03-15, 15:57   Link #1032
Solace
(ノಠ益ಠ)ノ彡┻━┻

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malkuth View Post
I agree in principle, but there is a fine line between a surreal or complicated plot versus random and/or plain bad writing
What random and/or bad writing? I've seen people say this, but I just don't see it.
Old 2012-03-15, 16:37   Link #1033
dan-heron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cannikin View Post
Spoiler for Episode 8 Preview:
seems to be more of
Spoiler for Episode 8:
Old 2012-03-15, 18:22   Link #1034
Kazu-kun

So, all my theories were proved correct. Even the fact that Mato was running away from her pain and that was why BRS was so violent and powerful.

Basically Mato has been disassociated herself from her sorrow all along, creating a facade of cheerfulness even though her heart was full of darkness.

Mato was so in denial about her pain and sorrow that at first in this episode she didn't even want admit that BRS was her other self.

Ultimately she, more than anyone else, was completely letting her other self (BRS) deal with all her pain, and so BRS became more and more dangerous to the other world.
Old 2012-03-15, 18:47   Link #1035
Sageblink
Speculation is wrong.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kazu-kun View Post
So, all my theories were proved correct. Even the fact that Mato was running away from her pain and that was why BRS was so violent and powerful.

Basically Mato has been disassociated herself from her sorrow all along, creating a facade of cheerfulness even though her heart was full of darkness.

Mato was so in denial about her pain and sorrow that at first in this episode she didn't even want admit that BRS was her other self.

Ultimately she, more than anyone else, was completely letting her other self (BRS) deal with all her pain, and so BRS became more and more dangerous to the other world.
That raises a question... Which pain, to begin with ?
They'd better explain that before the serie ends cause it's not really clear. I don't think the "running from myself" thing is a good reason to make BRS so powerful.

Last edited by Sageblink; 2012-03-15 at 19:15.
Old 2012-03-15, 18:56   Link #1036
dan-heron

ok, preview time!

Spoiler for preview:

http://youtu.be/IFHGTe7MvBA
Old 2012-03-15, 19:13   Link #1037
Sageblink
Speculation is wrong.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dan-heron View Post
ok, preview time!

Spoiler for preview:

http://youtu.be/IFHGTe7MvBA
Thank you !
Old 2012-03-15, 19:57   Link #1038
Yusei Fudo
Banned

Too bad this series is so short
Yusei Fudo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-03-15, 20:10   Link #1039
ars89
One-Eyed Dragon

So more info on Yuu and Strength. Of course her family would be worried enough to call the police. So Yomi remembered. Seems like Kagari might remember as well since she started to feel pain. The fight was pretty awesome though. So IBRS vss BRS next week to end it.
Old 2012-03-15, 20:15   Link #1040
SilverSyko
Okuyasu the Bird

So Strength is the only other self on record to have actually awoken to emotions eh? It's interesting seeing an other self actually talking like that for once.

And damn, the action this episode was epic (naturally). Never would've guessed Strength (Yuu) would've had guns hidden in those giant fists as well as two other ones that come out of her back. Makes me think of Asura.

Anyway, it's amusing how the everything is turning out exactly everyone hypothesized it would.~

Looking forward to the finale next week. BRS vs IBRS eh? Cue "I'll Face Myself" to start playing.

The flashback this episode did make me wonder though, why are there no male other selves if the Otherworld affects everybody? We need some sausage in this clam bake.

Tags
action, slice of life