AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Higurashi

Notices

Old 2006-08-24, 21:43   Link #61
imac2much

Wow thanks for all the information Sushi-y (both for daybreak and the ps2 game). I'm in a similar predicament with Rasuberi, where I can understand voiced Japanese decently but have the hardest time with kanji... while most of my chinese friends have the opposite problem (darn them). Too bad I don't have a modded ps2... I wonder if ps3 will be regionlock-free?

As for daybreak, so the special button is only useful for certain characters? I noticed that for some (like Keiichi), it just unleashes a melee attack, though it can also be charged like a shot attack. Guess I should experiment a bit more.
imac2much is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-08-24, 22:09   Link #62
Varion
殲滅天使

Send a message via AIM to Varion Send a message via MSN to Varion
Awesome. Great information as always Sushi. The new system to split the chapters up sounds kinda confusing though, but hopefully they'll get it to work. Has it been said who's composing the music? After hearing the other artists' contributions on the Matsuribayashi CD (ie other than dai, heard his already) I've grown even more attached to them Shame they're not staying.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rasuberi
Hmm... for pre-ordering and normal ordering, how do you think options will be on buying it in America? Would it be through an errand service or a store like Himeya?
Don't see why Himeya wouldn't stock it For one thing, they stocked all the original sound novels, and also the fact it's on the PS2 opens your options much wider than if it was a PC game. I know I'll be poking Paletweb to stock it, anyway.

Quote:
Originally Posted by imac2much
I wonder if ps3 will be regionlock-free?
PS3 is definitely region free for games, yep, so if you're getting one you're sorted.
Varion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-08-25, 01:27   Link #63
Keriaku
Thought Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sushi-Y
I mentioned it a few months ago in the other game thread. I'm interested in the story too. I wonder if they had to change anything now that Matsuribayashi is out.

There are several kinds of attacks available for every character. It's pretty straightforward.

- Most character has a regular physical combo, activated simply by pressing the physical attack key repeatedly when hitting the enemy. Directional attacks are also possible by hitting the physical attack key in combination with directional keys.
- Pressing the shot key will use up points from the "main" gauge (ex. Rena's "main" shot is a spinning cleaver). This is called a shot.
- Holding down the shot key and releasing it before it charges to full will use up points from the "charge" gauge (ex. Rena's exploding lighter). This is called a charge shot.
- Holding down the shot key and releasing it after it charges to full will unleash a powerful charged shot (ex. Rena's double cleaver shot). This is called a full charge shot. No points will be used up.
- Some characters like Rena have extra attacks (ex. Rena-pan) that can be activated by pressing the "special" key.
- There are also some general stance commands you can give to your AI partner by pressing the strategy key and cycling through the stances, such as "normal", "melee", "ranged", "retreat", etc.. Your AI partner will try to fight in the way you specified.

=====================================
Now then, some big updates on the consumer version of the game, "Higurashi no Naku Koroni Sai":

First of all, the platform has been confirmed. As most of you expected, it's going to be for Playstation 2.

Second, it's release date is December 2006. The price is 6980 yen (7329 - tax) for regular edition, and 8800 yen (9240 - tax) for limited edition. Bonus contents for the limited edition is still in the works.

Naturally, all characters will be fully voiced by the anime/drama CD cast. So those of us who are disappointed at the anime over all the skippages can find relief in knowing that there won't be any lines or scenes skipped here.

The biggest concern for fans was probably about the scenario coverage. Just how much of the original game does this port cover?

Well, perhaps not surprisingly, the final chapter of the original game, Matsurubayashi-hen, will not be included in this PS2 port. But considering that Matsuribayashi-hen was out only a little over a week ago (8/14), it's understandable.

Besides that, all other scenarios from the original game will be included, which are:

- Onikakushi-hen
- Watanagashi-hen
- Tatarigoroshi-hen
- Himatsubushi-hen
- Meakashi-hen
- Tsumihoroboshi-hen
- Minagoroshi-hen

Furthermore, there will also be THREE original scenarios written by Ryukishi07-san specifically for the PS2 port:

- Taraimawashi-hen
- Tsukiotoshi-hen
- Miotsukushi-hen

Among them, Miotsukushi-hen will replace Matsuribayashi-hen as the console port's final chapter.

In terms of story progression, apparantly, all the scenarios will share a common prologue + early sections of the main story. This is where the new addition of selection points come in to play: based on the choices you made in the common section, the story will branch out and end with one of the specific chapters.

Although the main goal for this port is to further widen the appeals of this series to those people who never played the original game before, the addition of the new scenarios makes the game an attractive buy even for gamers who has already completed the PC version of the game.

-------------------------------
It's looking good. ^^ My only concern is about the music now.

What'd you mean that Matsuribayashi-hen will be replaced with Miotsukushi-hen? Does that mean that the PS2 version will have a different ending then the original games? Also, for the branching story points, are they gonna make it that you have to have gotten all the question arcs before you can get any of the answer arcs? Because otherwise the story could get out of wack for first time players.
Keriaku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-08-25, 03:35   Link #64
Sushi-Y
湯音カワユス~
*Scanlator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keriaku
What'd you mean that Matsuribayashi-hen will be replaced with Miotsukushi-hen? Does that mean that the PS2 version will have a different ending then the original games? Also, for the branching story points, are they gonna make it that you have to have gotten all the question arcs before you can get any of the answer arcs? Because otherwise the story could get out of wack for first time players.
Since Matsuribayashi-hen was only released recently, it won't make it in time for the console port. In exchange, there are 3 new scenarios unique to the console version of the game, with Miotsukushi-hen being the "final chapter". So yes, the PS2 version will most likely have a different ending than the original game.

As for the story branches, I would assume that there will be scenario locks placed on the later chapters at first, and would unlock after you cleared the earlier chapters.

For example, you might have something like:

Scenario branches available in the beginning:
- Onikakushi-hen
- Watanagashi-hen
- Tatarigoroshi-hen

Locked Scenarios:
- Himatsubushi-hen (requires: first 3 chapters cleared)
- Meakashi-hen (requires: Watanagashi-hen cleared)
- Tsumihoroboshi-hen (requires: Onikakushi-hen cleared)
- Minagoroshi-hen (requires: Tatarigoroshi, Meakashi, and Tsumihoroboshi-hen cleared)

and so on.
Sushi-Y is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-08-25, 16:02   Link #65
era
i don't know!

Looks like Himeya has Matsuribayashi-hen in again, in case anyone else went to buy it while it was out of stock.

Just ordered mine (that UPS shipping price is scary).
era is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-08-25, 16:14   Link #66
Varion
殲滅天使

Quote:
Originally Posted by era
Looks like Himeya has Matsuribayashi-hen in again, in case anyone else went to buy it while it was out of stock.

Just ordered mine (that UPS shipping price is scary).
And the fact it's $33 even without isn't? >_> Himeya just love making huge profits because they know there's so little competition. Paletweb for $30.99 including airmail shipping for the win.

That whole 'start at the same point' thing still strikes me as odd though, sure they could get it to work easily enough for Onikakushi/Watanagashi/Tatarigoroshi (I think) but the others all seem to have completely different starting points and completely different focuses... oh well, wait and see I guess.
Old 2006-08-25, 16:50   Link #67
era
i don't know!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valdra
And the fact it's $33 even without isn't? >_> Himeya just love making huge profits because they know there's so little competition. Paletweb for $30.99 including airmail shipping for the win.
You're probably right, but, strangely, Paletweb.com wouldn't even work for me when I went off to buy the game. I'm slightly annoyed I didn't keep checking Paletweb, but I'm not going to shed any tears over a mere $8.

(Paletweb's Matsuribayashi-hen is here)
era is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-08-26, 07:26   Link #68
imac2much

After playing daybreak more I'm starting to get the hang of it. I see what people mean when they say to keep a charged shot ready most of the time just in case you miss with a melee attack. However, I'm still confused as to what the different "hypermodes" do... I understand the default one makes it so that you don't get knocked back as much or something? Is that all it does? And I'm not sure what the 2nd hypermode does, other than the fact that I think I activate it by pressing special.

So the special button doesn't do anything for most characters? Only Rena (and maybe a few others I haven't found) has a special attack with it? Rena-pan can only be used when she's in Hypermode though I think?

Oh also, does a soundtrack for daybreak exist? Some of the music is so catchy!
imac2much is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-08-28, 22:56   Link #69
yakuri-moe

I've notice that some people in the forum have actually played the games, and even though they show basically the same arguments as in the anime, I noticed comments regarding missing scenes that appeared in the games.

I was wondering if there is any way to get those games, if they have english patches or if they are only in japanese.
yakuri-moe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-08-29, 00:02   Link #70
Sushi-Y
湯音カワユス~
*Scanlator

Quote:
Originally Posted by yakuri-moe
I was wondering if there is any way to get those games, if they have english patches or if they are only in japanese.
oh noez, run before kj eats you alive.

You do realize that links to places where you can buy the game are mentioned only 2 - 3 posts above yours, right?
It wouldn't hurt to look through the first page of this thread either.

As for an english patch, that will forever remain a question, I think.
Sushi-Y is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-08-29, 00:11   Link #71
yakuri-moe

Quote:
oh noez, run before kj eats you alive.

You do realize that links to places where you can buy the game are mentioned only 2 - 3 posts above yours, right?
It wouldn't hurt to look through the first page of this thread either.

Actually I did see them and looked at the games on sale ^^U like, half a minute after posting *smacks herself*. I'm sorry my eyes are betraying me @_@ anywho thanks for mentioning it for me

I hope the PS2 version comes out in english ^^
Old 2006-08-29, 07:52   Link #72
Varion
殲滅天使

Quote:
An English patch for Onikakushi is well on the way, actually. Most of the raw translation is complete so there's a fair bit of editing to do. Reinsertion won't be too difficult because the scripting engine has plenty of tools available. No estimated release date but it's coming along very nicely That's just Onikakushi though, but there's a high chance they'll go on to do Watanagashi afterwards.

There's also been some talk about others wanting to skip to Minagoroshi and translate that, but no project as of yet and it may or may not happen.

Quote:
Originally Posted by yakuri-moe
I hope the PS2 version comes out in english ^^
Good luck with that I reeally can't see it happening. Only way to read the PS2 version is to learn Japanese I'm afraid.
Old 2006-08-29, 10:29   Link #73
Keriaku
Thought Being

Quote:
An English patch for Onikakushi is well on the way, actually. Most of the raw translation is complete so there's a fair bit of editing to do. Reinsertion won't be too difficult because the scripting engine has plenty of tools available. No estimated release date but it's coming along very nicely That's just Onikakushi though, but there's a high chance they'll go on to do Watanagashi afterwards.

There's also been some talk about others wanting to skip to Minagoroshi and translate that, but no project as of yet and it may or may not happen.

Good luck with that I reeally can't see it happening. Only way to read the PS2 version is to learn Japanese I'm afraid.
How do you know this? Are you part of the team translating the game or something?
Old 2006-08-29, 10:54   Link #74
Varion
殲滅天使

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keriaku
How do you know this? Are you part of the team translating the game or something?
Nope, the main translator just pops onto /a/ every so often to give updates (or rather, appears and gets poked for updates by everyone in the thread). He had to get a username and tripcode in the end because people kept impersonating him trying to make 'break the support disc' posts. Should've saved that update from the other day... oh well, bound to be another one. Nothing this week at least though due to having other things to do.

As for the Minagoroshi bit, that's just based on a few comments over in the comments of ayyo's blog.
Old 2006-08-29, 16:43   Link #75
yakuri-moe

Quote:
Well, nowadays games get known by people in other countries even though they are not licensed or there aren't plans to do so, maybe if the PS2 guys see that Higurashi is popular in USA they'll translate it in English.

And it if it doesn't happen, well that's a real shame because either way I can't read none of the games -_-
Old 2006-08-29, 17:05   Link #76
LostBlue
祭囃子

I assume it needs to be licensed in an English speaking country first then somehow pray for non-Asian countries to get over their fear of Visual Novels as a popular medium on a console, but I rather wait for Kyo-Ani to re-do it

I wonder many hate mail DEEN gets a day over this? ^^;;;; Personally, I don't think they did a completely horrible job just an extremely disappointing one for gamers.
LostBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-08-29, 17:37   Link #77
Rasuberi
Give me things to draw!!!

Send a message via AIM to Rasuberi
Ehehe. I think DEEN did a pretty good job with most scenes, moreso in the beginning, their biggest flaw just happens to be leaving a lot of other important things out. I wish it were realistic to wish for KyoAni to do a remake, if they did it would no doubt become my favorite anime ever. >__>;

Rasuberi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-08-29, 22:09   Link #78
Altima of the Gates
Casting a spell on you...
*Graphic Designer

Location: Where there are no mallets or tentacles.... and the female cast of Tenjou Tenge is mine, all mine!
Send a message via AIM to Altima of the Gates Send a message via MSN to Altima of the Gates Send a message via Yahoo to Altima of the Gates
Definitely more time was needed for them to get certain scenes to have more of an impact.

I've been looking at the TIPS thread and piecing together some missing elements from the novel seeing if some alterations would have helped, but in this case, the series sorely needed more than 26 episodes. Or, they could have made 45 minute episodes and fit in just enough to seal the deal. Sometimes a little more goes a LONG way.

Overall i'm still enjoying myself, though my friends are just about to rip their hair out and invoke Oyashiro-sama's curse on me for scrambling their brains every anime meeting.
Altima of the Gates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-08-29, 22:54   Link #79
Keriaku
Thought Being

Quote:
Nope, the main translator just pops onto /a/ every so often to give updates (or rather, appears and gets poked for updates by everyone in the thread). He had to get a username and tripcode in the end because people kept impersonating him trying to make 'break the support disc' posts. Should've saved that update from the other day... oh well, bound to be another one. Nothing this week at least though due to having other things to do.

As for the Minagoroshi bit, that's just based on a few comments over in the comments of ayyo's blog.
Where/wht is /a/?
Old 2006-08-30, 01:54   Link #80
Supergrunch
Tegenaria gigantea

Send a message via MSN to Supergrunch
I have one final question before I buy the game...

Can you stay indefinitely on a page of text? Because I'm gonna need it to sit there for a long time while I attempt to translate it...
Supergrunch is offline   Reply With Quote