AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > Video Games

Notices

Old 2011-08-17, 05:40   Link #81
Reckoner
Bittersweet Distractor

Could've been a lot better if it were two chinese turtlring teams playing it as safely as they could. Stream crashing didn't help.

OH man though, I'm too tired.

As for how DoTA 2 itself looks...

Graphics look fine.
User interface is kinda shit though, it needs work.
Sound effects need a bunch of work.
Spell visuals need work.

Verdict? Not bad actually, considering it's just closed beta. however they definitely got stuff to do here.
Reckoner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-08-17, 10:51   Link #82
Forsaken_Infinity

Well, considering that the stream was forced to be scaled down to 480p thanks to the number of people, it looked decent imho. Check out the youtube upload between Ok.Nv.Cn and Tyloo - looks a lot better with HD. But even without HD, at least it was not a clusterfuck. A lot of work to do still though. I don't like those icons.
And while that EH vs IG game turned into a turtle fest, it was a pretty intensive game. If only there hadn't been so many pauses and lag and what not. I suppose I got used to the graphics by the end of the two hours though

I expected better of Valve with management though. They very well had the numbers (~30 mill active players) so why would they not get enough bandwidth to hold. It crashed at only ~1.6 mill viewers. Screw that.
Forsaken_Infinity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-08-17, 11:59   Link #83
ChainLegacy
廉頗

Perhaps gauging fan interest is a bit more difficult with DoTA so they weren't prepared. After all, the first game is a mod so it must be tricky to get information about the player base statistically.
ChainLegacy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-08-17, 13:31   Link #84
Kaioshin Sama
Banned

Send a message via MSN to Kaioshin Sama
I just kind of gave up after the second time the game appeared to hang up and crash and the stream went back to the DOTA 2 logo. I waited about 5 minutes and felt I'd seen enough. I wouldn't mind checking it out again if I could be guaranteed the game won't just stop right in the middle. For the record it looked like it was on there end rather than my end because every time the units would suddenly just start running in place, the commentary would stop, and then the default DOTA 2 Tourney logo with music.

Game looks good, but not very impressed with the effort to stream it. Wonder how Gabe is going to blame the users on this one....
Kaioshin Sama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-08-17, 14:05   Link #85
LoweGear
Secret Society BLANKET
*Graphic Designer

The good news is that the replay videos from today's matches should be up in a while (they already have 5 replays available as of this post), so if you missed a match, you can watch it lag free.

As for the cause of the lag, looks to be the stream getting overwhelmed with the number of people watching off it. They actually had to pause a match once with the message "Overwhelming Online Demand" as cited reason

Against all the evil that hell can conjure, all wickedness that mankind can produce... We will send unto them, only you.
LoweGear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-08-17, 15:54   Link #86
Kaioshin Sama
Banned

Send a message via MSN to Kaioshin Sama
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoweGear View Post
The good news is that the replay videos from today's matches should be up in a while (they already have 5 replays available as of this post), so if you missed a match, you can watch it lag free.

As for the cause of the lag, looks to be the stream getting overwhelmed with the number of people watching off it. They actually had to pause a match once with the message "Overwhelming Online Demand" as cited reason
So you think the units running place thing was it just looping the last couple of frames from before the stream dropped?
Kaioshin Sama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-08-17, 16:12   Link #87
-Sho-
~Omedetô~

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forsaken_Infinity View Post
And while that EH vs IG game turned into a turtle fest, it was a pretty intensive game. If only there hadn't been so many pauses and lag and what not.
Well i saw IG vs Mineski , it was more dynamic and intense. Interesting TF & pawnage.
Anti-mage fed is horrible , + with his blink ouch!
-Sho- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-08-17, 17:06   Link #88
Forsaken_Infinity

Yeah, the games later on were better (as in no lag and better stream - the games weren't really fought over as intensely, at least not the ones I watched anyway). They also streamed in HD for a couple of them.

Spoiler for offtopic:
Old 2011-08-18, 00:06   Link #89
LoweGear
Secret Society BLANKET
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaioshin Sama View Post
So you think the units running place thing was it just looping the last couple of frames from before the stream dropped?
That would be the game lag actually, which happens when the lag between computers is incredibly high.

It should be noted that the stream might actually directly tied into the game itself though through observers, i.e. people who are participating in the game but not as one of the players. I saw a player on the IG vs EHOME match a couple of times who was not on either team, but was getting connected and disconnected from the match nonetheless.

I'm thinking that the stream we saw is actually one of the features in the game itself (IIRC they did say something to that effect on the features of DoTA 2), where you can directly stream the content of the game itself using proprietary software, instead of having to use third party ones. The side effect though is that the stream now affects the game itself as far as bandwidth use is concerned.

Against all the evil that hell can conjure, all wickedness that mankind can produce... We will send unto them, only you.
Old 2011-08-18, 00:12   Link #90
Reckoner
Bittersweet Distractor

I'm hoping they fix it up for tonight so it's more watchable...
Old 2011-08-18, 00:53   Link #91
Forsaken_Infinity

Well the games later on yesterday were a bit better. But seriously, Gamescom needs the internet they have at Dreamhack. There were ~1.6 million people tuned in at peak yesterday. I don't know how many of them will return but the finals will probably have similar if not higher numbers. Don't know how they are gonna fix the lag then >_>
Old 2011-08-18, 07:37   Link #92
felix
sleepyhead
*Author

You have to understand this can very by a lot. Well X was better, would only be a valid point if they actually got the same number of viewers (as well as where those viewers were from) and while you can get so far by just plugging in more hardware, there is a saturation limit where you just need a full infrastructure to handle it (which is not the easiest thing to come by). You wouldn't believe how complicated just sending enormous amounts of messages though the wire is, these days we just take for granted everything "just works", instead of being in awe when stuff like streaming to millions actually works.

Quote:
Spoiler for offtopic:
You can put it on your signature, or just disable rep entirely as I have. It's utterly pointless and the word was when it was enabled at first that "if it's a bother it's going to be disabled" but every time someone raised the issue of how stupid it was it would just get shot down as "whining", even though most of the time even the so called "proper rep" is no different then email spam and other such junk. Rep IMO is just against the whole formula of the forum, which should be: if you got something to say, put it on the table.

Particularly in a topic with heated debates like this one, just ignore anything you get. If people really have something to say, you'll get it though pm or vm anyway.
Old 2011-08-18, 08:15   Link #93
Von Himmel
エーレンフェストの聖女

Quote:
I'm hoping they fix it up for tonight so it's more watchable...
I've just watched it after i've returned from campus...seems like an improvement. I didn't experienced any lags (only a bit at the start of the video) and the game itself doesn't have many pauses like yesterday

Von Himmel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-08-18, 20:00   Link #94
Forsaken_Infinity

@Felix, I meant better purely as in more watchable. I didn't say they were "better" better in any other sense. There were probably fewer viewers - I also heard from trusted sources that they split off the broadcast from a service to another (which is why we couldn't hear the commentators later on) and Valve employees aren't exactly the most worthless bunch of people so they must have figured something out as well. That first match was the most closely contested match for the first day along with being the inaugural match so it kinda sucked that we had so much lag though.

They just turned German and Russian shout casting off for today to work the bandwidth out x.x. I love Vilat's shoutcasting and there are quite a few Russian players so not sure about that choice. German is fine though - considering most Germans tune in to Tobi all the time (his base is in Germany after all) anyway.
Old 2011-08-21, 10:54   Link #95
LoweGear
Secret Society BLANKET
*Graphic Designer

And Team Na'vi from Ukraine wins the DoTA2 International 3 wins out of 5 against EHome to bring home the $1,000,000 prize! GG everyone

Old 2011-08-22, 07:40   Link #96
LoweGear
Secret Society BLANKET
*Graphic Designer

DoTA 2 Item Icons and their original equivalents:

Last edited by LoweGear; 2011-08-23 at 00:16.
Old 2011-08-22, 19:13   Link #97
Forsaken_Infinity

Some of those icons are fugly. Most of them are definitely going to be changed considering they are just placeholders so there is little point to posting them now. It may have been useful earlier on to help identify the items during the tournament but its redundant now. And you may want to post your image as a thumbnail as Daniel E. has requested.
Old 2011-09-23, 22:49   Link #98
Reckoner
Bittersweet Distractor

Good news. Seems like we might be able to play soon!

http://blog.dota2.com/

Quote:
We’ve been a bit quiet lately. As always, we learn a lot whenever we put something out and get feedback from you all. Showing Dota 2 to the world at The International gave us a lot of feedback to chew through, and the many recent forum threads talking about the information leaking out of the beta has added to the pile. After a bunch of thinking, we’ve decided to change our plans a little.

Our original plan was to spend the next year or so in beta, adding new features and slowly growing the number of heroes until we reached a level of parity with Dota 1, at which point we’d release Dota 2 to the world. But the feedback we’re seeing everywhere is that people just want to play it, even though there’s still a ton of heroes yet to be implemented. We’ve also seen that the folks who are already in the beta are chomping at the bit to show everyone else some of the fun games they’ve had. So we decided our original plan was dumb.

Welcome to the new plan: We’re going to take the current version of Dota 2, which has The International set of heroes, and get it out there as fast as we can. We’ve still got some work to do in a couple of areas, so we’ll be keeping it invite-only for a (hopefully short) period of time. But there’ll be no restrictions on what players can do with it – they can release screenshots, make movies, shoutcast matches, write guides, publicly make fun of our HUD, or anything else their hearts desire. While they do that, we’ll be shipping regular updates with more heroes, new features we’ve been working on, and improvements on the existing content as we get more and more feedback.

What does this mean for you? It means it’s even more important that you get on the list that we’ll be inviting from. If you’re talented, you could take a shot at winning an invite in the GosuGamers competition or the Playdota contest. Once you’ve got your hands on the game, feel free to talk about it however you’d like – we’re excited to see what you’ll produce.

In the meantime, we’re going to be ratcheting this blog up a little too, so you can expect some more regular posting from us.
Old 2011-10-17, 03:21   Link #99
LoweGear
Secret Society BLANKET
*Graphic Designer

Yogscast discussing the various features of DoTA 2's Spectator Mode from the Beta:

Old 2011-10-17, 05:53   Link #100
felix
sleepyhead
*Author

So what's everyone's opinion on the possibilities of using this as a means of cheating? ie. dual box and just open the game in spectator mode.