Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2004-07-10, 04:49   Link #21
Shinonome
Typesetter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChoBaka
Mazinger Z is a series even my mom knows since she used to watch it with me when I was a very little kid. The OP/ED songs sounded oddly familiar, even though I have probably forgotten them from when I was little. I must say, this is great... very good choice in picking up a new show.

Great choice, good work. Carry on!
Same here .Only trouble would be prolly the audio was not really clear,but i guess is because the original show is so old that you can't really make it better.
Other than that Thx (can't compare the translation and some names because when i saw the first time was dubbed in my lang).
If Show like Grandizer (it was called Goldrake in my country lang) and Jeeg magnetic robot would be subbed again that would be the best ( well there is more than them ..but i would be happy enough to get those two since i saw them almost 20 years ago and they were my very first anime ).
Shinonome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-07-10, 22:03   Link #22
Yamano667
Banned

Send a message via MSN to Yamano667
i doubt that they would sub the entire series
Yamano667 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-07-10, 22:20   Link #23
Cyberdramon

Just a quick update for everyone regarding Mazinger Z from WPP and TV-Nihon. We do plan on doing a v2 of episode 1. We realize that everyone makes mistakes so we hope nobody holds it against us. We didn't mean to release so with so many mistakes and sometimes it just takes a second or third ear to hear everything. Given that the show is a little old we also missed on some of the slang and other odd bits of Japanese used in the show.

Also, the song in the middle of the show wasn't translated as well as could be so we've fixed that all up.

Just wanted to let everyone know that we do apologize about the inconvenience that we didn't quite hit the mark on episode 1 but you can expect the second version and all episodes after that to be up to snuff ^_^

So be on the lookout for a 01v2 in the next couple days. Thanks~!
Cyberdramon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-07-11, 00:57   Link #24
Invoker
Cast In The Name Of God

Send a message via AIM to Invoker
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyberdramon
If you don't mind me asking, when can we expect an episode 2?

I'm not trying to be rude, but I can't help that I'm impatient.
Invoker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-07-11, 01:05   Link #25
confuzionrains

Talking thanks for subbing this show

hey, i'm just thrilled that this show is being subbed - this is a great nostalgia piece, my favorite show as a kid

Quote:
Just wanted to let everyone know that we do apologize about the inconvenience that we didn't quite hit the mark on episode 1 but you can expect the second version and all episodes after that to be up to snuff ^_^
confuzionrains is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-07-11, 01:26   Link #26
cybexvisine
just curious

Thumbs up

Quote:
you can expect the second version and all episodes after that to be up to snuff ^_^

you guys are fantastic just offering this series. grendizer, getter robo, and others from the early years are difficult to come by when so many fansubs are competing to get the latest samurai 7 online... many of us forget what a treasure trove of classic titles lies hidden to be discovered by a new generation.

congratulations and i'm looking forward to future episodes. if i could make a request: ANY classic series are appreciated and if you can get your hands on something called the Force Five from the '80s -- you have my full gratitude!
cybexvisine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-07-11, 01:51   Link #27
Cyberdramon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Invoker
If you don't mind me asking, when can we expect an episode 2?

I'm not trying to be rude, but I can't help that I'm impatient.
Episode 2 is currently being translated and we'll have it available as soon as it's completed. ^_^
Old 2004-07-11, 01:54   Link #28
Cyberdramon

Quote:
Originally Posted by cybexvisine
you guys are fantastic just offering this series. grendizer, getter robo, and others from the early years are difficult to come by when so many fansubs are competing to get the latest samurai 7 online... many of us forget what a treasure trove of classic titles lies hidden to be discovered by a new generation.

congratulations and i'm looking forward to future episodes. if i could make a request: ANY classic series are appreciated and if you can get your hands on something called the Force Five from the '80s -- you have my full gratitude!

I've not heard of Force Five but maybe some of the other guys have. Right now we're going to concentrate on getting Mazinger Z done as well as some classic Transformers series that never actually made it outside of Japan. For now we have our hands full but as time goes by we might pick up some more older and classic mecha series. Thanks for the suggestion, though.
Old 2004-07-14, 22:16   Link #29
OldSchoolFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prince of Chronics
This is awesome... now if only Voltes V came out as well.... thanks to those groups for releasing Mazinger Z!
Hell those were the classics!
OldSchoolFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-07-14, 22:23   Link #30
OldSchoolFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guido
Mazzinger Z was among the very first action anime that we had in México.

It was the year 1986-1987 when the show finally aired on Mexican TV's.

I was about 6-7 years about the time, and I loved the show and still loves it.
I had the chance to watch the first 7 OVA chapters of Mazinkaiser last year.

Mazinger Z's popularity was so much unprecedented here in México that it became a theme of topic and fashion among the culture population.

All three Mazinger Z's movies were brought and released on theaters, and I managed to see them on the silver screen.
You were lucky dammit! Best we Ameicans had was a limited English dubbed release of the series under the title "Tranzor Z", and a couple VHS tapes that came out around the time.

Oddly, more obscure was an English dub produced of Mazinger Z that even had the theme songs dubbed as well! (managed to find this material TOO easy!)

Quote:
I clearly recalled the last episode, warning spoilers ahead.
Spoiler:
Heh, I have a fansub of this movie! After Mazinger Z, came the sequel "Great Mazinger" (did they play this in Mexico?).

Quote:
Guess I should not download the torrents because Mazinger Z was licensed in México, my country, but it was almost 20 years ago.

Does a TV network or Licensing company has a time limit expiration to an anime's license or distribution rights for that show to be comercially released or broadcasted within a geographical region, unless they are renewed?
Sometimes those rights could be limited. Perhaps the rights for Mexico and/or Latin America have expired in recent years.
Old 2004-07-14, 22:27   Link #31
OldSchoolFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hokuto
As far as I'm aware, there's a statute of limitations on most licenses. I believe the ones for Mexico and America expired years ago.

I am truly amazed at how they managed to mangle nearly every single word of the Japanese lyrics to "Theme of Z" into something completely and entirely wrong and incomprehensible.
I thought so too when I heard something like that from an MP3.

Quote:
Translating "Tekkamen" as "Two-faced man", "Aegan Sea" as "Eege Sea", "Staff of Bardos" as "this wand" twice... They might want to try getting a translator who knows how to look up words they don't understand instead of filling in the blanks with random crap.
Heh, when they brought "Tekkaman" over to Italy, they just kept the original theme songs intact and untranslated!

Quote:
This is a shame, because Mazinger Z is such a great show, and deserves so much better than what it's getting here. I'll gladly post corrected lyrics to Theme of Z if they'll just use them instead of that horrible version they have.
I'd love to read them!

On a simular note, the obscure English dub of "Mazinger Z" also made use of a theme for the opening that lyrics that were sung very weird! Wish I could decipher those lyrics and post them here.
Old 2004-07-14, 22:34   Link #32
OldSchoolFan

Quote:

Heh, I've seen a number of episodes of that one, essentially it was five different programs that were combined into a daily syndie package that was devised by Jim Terry and his mom & pop operation back in 1980. The programs that were utilized (essentially 26 episodes of each series was used for the final cut) were Space Dragon Gaiking, UFO Robo Grendizer, Starzinger, Getter Robo G and Dangard A. I didn't care for it much, other than I thought it was nice a few of them had karaoke versions of their OP/ED themes! You can practically have your way with them through a PC audio mixing program and your own voice! I always wanted to do that!
Old 2004-07-14, 23:36   Link #33
cybexvisine
just curious

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldSchoolFan
...essentially it was five different programs that were combined into a daily syndie package that was devised by Jim Terry and his mom & pop operation back in 1980...Space Dragon Gaiking, UFO Robo Grendizer, Starzinger, Getter Robo G and Dangard A.
Sounds about right... Gaiking/Grendizer/Dangard Ace/Getter Robo G were mecha stories while Starzinger [aka Spacekateers] was loosely based on the "Monkey King" - a space version of the Chinese classic Journey to the West. It was very different from anything else on TV.

Force Five may not have the same following as say, G-Force [aka Gatchaman] but it sure beat reruns of Rocket Robinhood. Force Five was also one of the most successful "anime" shows to penetrate the East Coast markets State-side as well as Southern Ontario [Canada]. In entrenching itself with five different titles everyday of the week, T.V. stations seemed to offer endless episodes --> I took the school bus [not the short one btw] so I never had a chance to watch a complete episode...

For many of my friends this was their first introduction to classic anime icons. Just mention "Goldorack" [Grandizer] in Quebec [French Canada] to anyone under the age of 40 and watch them break out in a smile. These titles were really the pioneers and were syndicated to audiences throughout N. & S. America, Western Europe, North Africa, and Australia. The only other "SF themed" shows with the same world-wide success at the time was Doctor Who & Thunderbirds. ah... we haven't even touched on the subject of Live-Action Mecha movies [Dangard Ace Live-Action was filmed in late 60' early 70's. Wow, it's like watching the Power Ranger but With Real Actors!]. I'll stop here before you guys think I'm nuts. Can't wait for the next episode from T-N & WPP.
Old 2004-07-14, 23:46   Link #34
OldSchoolFan

Quote:
Sounds about right... Gaiking/Grendizer/Dangard Ace/Getter Robo G were mecha stories while Starzinger [aka Spacekateers] was loosely based on the "Monkey King" - a space version of the Chinese classic Journey to the West. It was very different from anything else on TV.

Force Five may not have the same following as say, G-Force [aka Gatchaman] but it sure beat reruns of Rocket Robinhood.
A friend of mine up in Canada's going to be sending me episodes of this show soon!

Quote:
Force Five was also one of the most successful "anime" shows to penetrate the East Coast markets State-side as well as Southern Ontario [Canada]. In entrenching itself with five different titles everyday of the week, T.V. stations seemed to offer endless episodes --> I took the school bus [not the short one btw] so I never had a chance to watch a complete episode...
That's a shame to hear. Sadly I lived in a smaller TV market in Ohio (well, Toledo anyway), but hadly saw much anime on TV at all. Early favs of mine were Voltron, the few on Nickelodeon like "Belle & Sebastian", "Mysterious Cities of Gold" (though a Japanese-French co-production), and such. Never did see Battle of the Planets or Star Blazers before now and the closest I was to Robotech was a pair of PJs I remember wearing to bed each night! I miss those days!

Quote:
For many of my friends this was their first introduction to classic anime icons. Just mention "Goldorack" [Grandizer] in Quebec [French Canada] to anyone under the age of 40 and watch them break out in a smile.
They'd probably do the same if you mention "Albator".

Quote:
These titles were really the pioneers and were syndicated to audiences throughout N. & S. America, Western Europe, North Africa, and Australia. The only other "SF themed" shows with the same world-wide success at the time was Doctor Who & Thunderbirds. ah... we haven't even touched on the subject of Live-Action Mecha movies [Dangard Ace Live-Action was filmed in late 60' early 70's. Wow, it's like watching the Power Ranger but With Real Actors!]. I'll stop here before you guys think I'm nuts. Can't wait for the next episode from T-N & WPP.
You're not nuts! I wish I saw that stuff too! (missed out on a lot for being born too late in the '70s).
Old 2004-07-15, 00:58   Link #35
cybexvisine
just curious

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldSchoolFan
A friend of mine up in Canada's going to be sending me episodes of this show soon! ...Sadly I lived in a smaller TV market in Ohio. Early favs of mine were Voltron, "Belle & Sebastian", "Mysterious Cities of Gold"
I don't want to sound ol' school or dismiss the appeal of current anime [I do enjoy many titles such as Wolf's Rain & Samurai Champoo] but it seems many show today rely on a "hook" when there's so many topics to explore nowadays. As late as the early 90's, broadcast standards barred animated violence and adult themes to the point of rendering most shows unwatchable - just try re-watching The Superfriends or My Pet Pony

To build on my argument, I also appreciate a strong storyline with courageous characters. Often I find older titles rely on the plot/storyline to drive the action vs. the current crop [i.e. same can be said regarding Star Wars VS. Episode 1, it's the story we love Mr. Lucas]. Belle & Sebastian is a top series... its themes of self-discovery, adventure, family and friendship carries over to modern titles such Kino's Travels or Now and Then Here and There. Trigun & Noir are fantastic but Galaxy Express 999 / 3000 Leagues in Search of Mother / Future Boy Conan just "Punches You in the GUT" and demands its viewer's attention. As I mentioned in a separate post regarding Legendary Gambler, we all can't be ninjas or the sole boy attending an all-girl's school. Many times I remember a show best and most fondly if i can relate to its storyline.

It's nice of your friend from Canada to send you tapes. He wouldn't happen to be from Toronto would he? CFMT used to be a low budget/low frequency Multi-Cultural Toronto station that didn't have ANY sponsors so they relied on low-cost licensed shows for programming. Anime in the morning, and afternoons consisted of cultural shows from local communities using Rogers Communications Broadcast Centre [it has since emerged as one of the largest and most influential Media Outlet in Canada]. Imagine this line-up: in addition to Force-Five / Starblazers / Robotech (Macross)

1. the Japanese Show [Sponsored by the Japanese consulate] offered a 1hr weekly summarizing of Japanese National news, followed by an episode of Lone Wolf and Cub (The T.V. series).

2. the Cantonese Show [Sponsored by local Chinese merchants] offered nightly Canadian News in Chinese AND a new Kung-Fu serial, complimented with a weekly Saturday Night Movie [Chow Yun Fat, Jackie Chan at their best in the 80's].

3. the Indian Show [Sponsored by ???] offered Bollywood Hits and two series: The Epics: The Mahabharata & Ramayana [all Live-Action, and still the largest and most expensive South Asian Productions to date] shown every Sunday.

4. the Italian Show [better known as CHIN T.V.] and on the weekend they offered Italian "adult comedies".

5. don't forget, Canada's bilingual, so the French Gov't stations [i.e. Canadian PBS] offered many European syndicated shows like Asterix, Goldorak & Albator [Captain Harlock].

6. whew... and i haven't included Russian, Korean and other communities...

Looking Back I guess Canadians were spoiled and didn't know it As for Toledo, I love your city and it has many things to offer to its visitors - friendly bunch of folks! Anime? hmm... betcha you got to watch Greatest American Hero or MacGyver (think: a bumbling Ultraman & Lupin III). I bet our counterparts in Japan/Taiwan/Singapore would match our level of interest given the opportunity. They enjoy Disney so I have to wonder how they take to Sponge Bob & The Simpsons?

Last edited by cybexvisine; 2004-07-15 at 09:29.
Old 2004-07-15, 05:51   Link #36
OldSchoolFan

Quote:
I don't want to sound ol' school or dismiss the appeal of current anime [I do enjoy many titles such as Wolf's Rain & Samurai Champoo]
That's OK. Though many do have quips to say about the new stuff anyway.

Quote:
but it seems many show today rely on a "hook" when there's so many topics to explore nowadays. As late as the early 90's, broadcast standards barred animated violence and adult themes to the point of rendering most shows unwatchable - just try re-watching The Superfriends or My Pet Pony
You mean "My Little Pony", but no, I don't really care to watch those anyway (especially the Domestic product, as I'm more into obscure foriegn works). I pretty much look at the "Saturday Morning" stuff of the '70s and '80s as passe and bland over what was being done elsewhere in the world.

Quote:
To build on my argument, I also appreciate a strong storyline with courageous characters. Often I find older titles rely on the plot/storyline to drive the action vs. the current crop [i.e. same can be said regarding Star Wars VS. Episode 1, it's the story we love Mr. Lucas]. Belle & Sebastian is a top series... its themes of self-discovery, adventure, family and friendship carries over to modern titles such Kino's Travels or Now and Then Here and There. Trigun & Noir are fantastic but Galaxy Express 999 / 3000 Leagues in Search of Mother / Future Boy Conan just "Punches You in the GUT" and demands its viewer's attention.
I can understand you there. But I usually lean to a show if the story hits me a certain way. Lately though I REALLY don't pay much attention to TV, as I despise the recent programs on the "Big Three", and only have a few channels on cable I ever pay attention to (yet, I get the best service available, and a cable modem to boot). Othewise, the only entertainment I ever have is home video (with my extensive bootleg video collection spanning the past 50 years), manga and other graphic novels (had to get the French ones like Asterix which cost me a pretty penny), and the net (which I've been downloading cartoons and software like Adobe Premiere Pro 1.5 and the essential CGI tools). Figure if I can't pay my way into a fancy art school, I can get it at home (also bought myself an animation desk and the disc to match, as I'll have something to do if I can further up on my animation skills)!

Quote:
It's nice of your friend from Canada to send you tapes. He wouldn't happen to be from Toronto would he?
He used to. He currently resides in Mattawa, but at one point, he atteneded Sheridan College in Oakville where he tried his hands at animation for a year and left. He just couldn't draw hot chicks that good for every drawing!

He was the one that helped open my collection up to some anime greats he collected, as well as stuff I couldn't get down here. His dentist also happens to be the husbend to Lynn Johnston (author of "For Better or For Worse"). I have a few other Canadian pals as well that have traded vids with me as well (especially one animator who sent me model sheet xeroxes from several productions he was involved with, including the first For Better or Worse special "The Bestest Present")

Quote:
CFMT used to be a low budget/low frequency Multi-Cultural Toronto station that didn't have ANY sponsors so they relied on low-cost licensed shows for programming.
The kind of station I wish we had down here! Rarely the US has seen channels like this besides the barrage of Spanish-language types we have today. Nowadays most are usually speciality networks that are available for extra fees on digital cable/satellite providers. I've heard a bit about this station myself, but wished I lived in Toronto to see it (or any big town in the US with something like that too).

Best I have on my system so far is "The International Channel", which has been playing anime for a number of years now, such as raw episodes of DBZ, and a few sub/dub versions of some already licensed anime. Though on a rare occasion I was able to see Arabic-dubbed anime on there too!

[QUOTE[Imagine this line-up: in addition to Force-Five / Starblazers / Robotech (Macross[/QUOTE]

* SNIPPED FOR SPACE *

Amusing how they would be able to share all that on one channel. Best I ever saw was one station out of Detroit that played Arabic-related music and news sometime around the weekends during the night.

Quote:
5. don't forget, Canada's bilingual, so the French Gov't stations [i.e. Canadian PBS] offered many European syndicated shows like Asterix, Goldorak & Albator [Captain Harlock].
I love Asterix! I have all the movies and most of the books I can get. When I was young, I saw one of the animated films " The 12 Tasks of Asterix", and just enjoyed how funny this was! Have a French R2 DVD release of this one now.

Personally, I'm also a fan of European works as well, and have collected quite a lot over the years as well. A lot of it is still out of my reach though. I guess much of my fondness for this can go back to the days when I was 4 years old, and had Nickelodeon to watch when they played "Pinwheel", and I was seeing shorts that I didn't know the orgins of where they came from until later, such as the works from Czechoslovakia and Yugoslavia that were different to watch in contrast to American toons. I'm not collecting this stuff on 16mm film these days, including obscure Japanese-produced toons like "Kum Kum" (one of Sunrise's early involvements) and an episode of the anime adaptation of "The Yearling". I'm just too open-minded!

Quote:
6. whew... and i haven't included Russian, Korean and other communities...
That's OK, I can bet I know what that would be! (wonder if the Russian hour including toons from the Soyuzmultfilm library? Got most of them off KaZaA too)

Quote:
As for Toledo, I love your city and it has many things to offer to its visitors - friendly bunch of folks!
At least you have something nice to say. There's a few things I can bring up though...
- Toledo Museum of Art Considered one of the world's prestigeous art museums around
- Toledo Zoo (too much to say about it, but it's gotten bigger than it had been when I was young)
- Cedar Point Not really in Toledo, but houses the best record-breaking roller coasters the world over (too bad I haven't been there since I was 3).
- The University of Toledo (where I slaved a couple years and still couldn't grasp the college scene)
- The Toledo Mud Hens the minor-league baseball team
- Toledo Storm (minor-league hockey team)
- Birthplace of the Jeep
- Once the Glass Capital of the World
- The first radio broadcast transmissions took place here
- one of the largest distibution centers in the US and a part of the St. Lawrence Seaway
- World Headquarters to local companies, Owens-Illionis, Libbey-Owens-Ford (now a part of UK-based Pilkington, PLC) and Owens-Corning (the "Fiberglas" people)
- Famous Toledoans -
Danny Thomas (Make Room for Daddy)
Jamie Farr (Klinger on TV's MASH)
Katie Holmes (Dawson's Creek)
Larry Harmon (copyright owner to Bozo the Clown)
Fred Ladd (anime dubbing pioneer to Astro Boy, Gigantor and Kimba the White Lion, later a consultant on DIC's Sailor Moon)
Daws Butler (voice of Yogi Bear, Huckleberry Hound, Cap'n Crunch and other cartoon charactes)
Anita Baker
Cliff Arquette ("Charlie Weaver")
Art Tatum (Jazz legend)
Teresa Brewer (did the song "Music, Music, Music")
One of the original ghost writers of the Nancy Drew books

Well, that's enough Toledo-musings to last a lifetime! Though the population of my town has slipped dramatically for the past couple decades, still, I'm not going to say my town sucks yet (at least in the same position perhaps as Flint, Michigan after what Michael Moore did with it).

Quote:
Anime?
Hardly makes much noise outside a few who know of it by name, or confusingly refer to it as "Chinese cartoons". I know people like this, and it's hard pushing them to my manga collection that I get daily! There is a club or two in town, but I feel I can't really fit into them at all, not with my knowledge of anime's past and hardly a care for it's future. The only pals I have who share in the same interests as I do are usually online, including a pal of mine from Houston who has spent a year in Tokyo as part of the JET program, and got to take a class on anime at the Univ. of Texas with the professor who was an consultant on the dubbing of "Princess Mononoke" I think.

Quote:
hmm... betcha you got to watch Greatest American Hero or McGiver (think: a bumbling Ultraman & Lupin III).
Oddly, I hardly did. Either too young to really appreciate it or just ignored it anyway. Guess I should slap myself for that, but I've seen a number of prime-time TV back in the '80s to know them well. Otherwise a favorite toon of recent that really took me back was "Family Guy". That toon has "Gen-X" written all over it!

Quote:
I bet our counterparts in Japan/Taiwan/Singapore would match our level of interest given the opportunity. They enjoy Disney so I have to wonder how they take to Sponge Bob & The Simpsons?
In my mind, animation is a sort of uniersal language all it's own. It's the interperatations or handling of the medium in different countries that can be vary in terms of sophistication or handling. Obviously we haven't seen that kind of stuff with our domestic work that is handled as well over in Japan (what with the public that would take animation in that sense of it being an "Electronic Babysitter" and all).

I'll end here, as I'll have to get some shut-eye, while my BitTorrents and FTP downloads go as planned (nearly got all 39 episodes of "Mysterious Cities of Gold" right now).
Old 2004-07-15, 10:17   Link #37
Hokuto

Oldschoolfan, I did post the lyrics, read my next response. :P

The Mazinger storyline goes: Mazinger Z --> Great Mazinger --> Grendizer

Kouji is the main hero of the Mazinger Z story. In Great Mazinger, once Tetsuya emerges to handle the job of fighting the dangerous monsters, Kouji leaves to study abroad in America, only returning near the end of the show for the big final showdown with the Mycene. They did air Great Mazinger in Mexico - most of the episodes I've seen have been Spanish dubs found from Mexican sites. It was a surprisingly good dub, too.

Though it's a plug of my own site, I translated Go Nagai's own personal notes on how he got started on Mazinger Z HERE. It's an interesting read. I had no idea Mazinger Z had gotten that popular abroad; it got TV ratings in Spain as high as 80%! I'll eventually get around to translating his section on Great Mazinger, some day.

Out of the two series, I actually like Great more. Overall, it was a much more polished, well-done show. But Mazinger Z is certainly not something to be ignored, either.
Hokuto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-07-15, 10:56   Link #38
Guido
Snobby Gentleman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hokuto
They did air Great Mazinger in Mexico - most of the episodes I've seen have been Spanish dubs found from Mexican sites.
Funny, I don't recall at all if Great Mazinger was ever broadcasted in México, however, I have a possible explanation for this.

Before 1993-1994, TV broadcastings from both TV Azteca and Televisa (Mexico's only TV network channels) were centralized. That means, they always came from the capital city, D.F.
And I clearly recall this because when I was a kid back in the 80's, always I checked two of my local channels that transmitted the TV signal from the capital.
I have to wait until 4:00 p.m., the time when the signal finally did entered, for broadcasts to begin, and then the signal was cutted offline by 10:00 p.m.

In 1990-1992, the broadcast was extended to cover up the morning schedule during weekdays, as also the night schedule until midnight.
Of course, each state within the Mexican Republic has its own local channels, but about two of those channels broadcast the signal coming from the capital city, each one alloted to TV Azteca and Televisa broadcastings.

The point is that before the 90's decade, here in Mexico, the rest of the States were not able to watch the programming shows that were broadcasted in the capital, as very early or late.

From 1993-1994, the signal became decentralized and up to date many Mexican States have TV stations from both Televisa and TV Azteca.

For myself, I live in Monterrey which is in NorthEast Mexico, and never did they broadcasted Great Mazinger likely because it was broadcasted in the capital city before the 90's decade.

There were some anime shows that were only broadcasted in Mexico City, but they were never broadcasted within the rest of the Mexican Republic.

Pity, isn't it?

Last edited by Guido; 2004-07-15 at 11:02. Reason: Grammatical errors found
Guido is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-07-15, 11:18   Link #39
Hokuto

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guido
Funny, I don't recall at all if Great Mazinger was ever broadcasted in México, however, I have a possible explanation for this.

(snip)

Pity, isn't it?
Wow, educational stuff. Actually, the only person I've spoken with who watched it on TV initially was a Puerto Rican friend, so that could explain a lot.

I myself never even watched robot stuff as a kid. I've heard they did actually air Grandizer on my ABC station in the southern US in a very early morning slot way back when, but even if it had been available where I lived, I never would have had the drive to get up early enough and watch it. I missed out on so much great stuff that way.

I did get to see the Tranzor Z movie dubbed a couple of years back, though. That was a true exercise in unintentional hilarity from start to finish. I could not stop laughing the whole way through.
Hokuto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-08-22, 18:23   Link #40
Invoker
Cast In The Name Of God

Send a message via AIM to Invoker
Is Mazinger still being subbed? It doesn't seem to be on Animesuki any more.
Invoker is offline   Reply With Quote