AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > General Anime

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2011-12-27, 22:14   Link #821
Reckoner
Bittersweet Distractor

http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news...i-shitai-anime

Well another KyoAni anime it seems. When did they transform into AIC? What the heck? Where is Haruhi? Lol...
Old 2011-12-27, 22:27   Link #822
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

No clue what the length of it or the mystery series is at this point. Maybe they are doing multiple short series (13 episode length), or this new on is a feature film or OVA series (it only has two novels).

We know KyoAni can do a full length 24 episode series and a movie in one year, as they've done that the last two years. We also know they can do multiple shorter series in a year, as they did in 2009 with K-On, Munto TV, and Haruhi (+ two webseries and a Clannad OVA)

Last edited by Ithekro; 2011-12-27 at 23:30.
Old 2011-12-27, 23:26   Link #823
brocko

Judging the ann article it seems to be a love triangle type of romcom.

Also before all the "where's Haruhi?!" posts start flooding in whenever something non-Haruhi is announced, people need to chill and realise KyoAni aren't slaves to the Haruhi franchise. It'll come when it comes.

http://www.freerice.com/ - For each word you get right, 10 grains of rice is donated through the UN to help end world hunger.
Old 2011-12-27, 23:47   Link #824
Pocari_Sweat
<em style="color:#808080;">Disabled By Request</em>

Send a message via AIM to Pocari_Sweat Send a message via MSN to Pocari_Sweat
Quote:
Originally Posted by brocko View Post

Also before all the "where's Haruhi?!" posts start flooding in whenever something non-Haruhi is announced, people need to chill and realise KyoAni aren't slaves to the Haruhi franchise. It'll come when it comes.
Or the Little Buster fans. Though FMP fans need to stop being in denial
Old 2011-12-28, 00:29   Link #825
Kaioshin Sama
Banned

Send a message via MSN to Kaioshin Sama
Quote:
Originally Posted by thirdlc View Post
Since I'm not satisfied with CobaltBlitz's translation, I translated it.

-He have been watching KyoAni works like a normal anime fan.
-At first he only knew of KyoAni as the studio where Yoshiji Kigami worked. Kigami probably doesn't know of him, but He's been interested in Kigami since he was young. He wants to think Kigami of a rival, but he is no match to Kigami.
-He began to think their young animators were working hard since Haruhi.
-Haruhi's animation reminded him of young animators' work on Sasuga no Sarutobi in the 80's. If he was a young animator today he'd no doubt consider KyoAni a rival studio
-Since Lucky Star, their design and art has been very polished and the direction has been also great.
-Their recent projects definitely reach a stage of accomplishments (or arts would be better)
-It's difficult to reach the stage with animation
-the animation is very rich and full, and has excellent control
-K-ON is an ideal form of Japanese TV anime
-I'm praising them very much, but I can't help but praise them right? (laughs)
-Although he doesn't think he is adequate, he wants to draw if he gets an offer (from KyoAni). He thinks he can make it surprisingly, but that he would have to put so much effort in adapting himself to their style.
-It may be pathetic to buy moe anime, but K-ON isn't the case.
-K-ON doesn't feels geeky very much
-Their projects are amazing as they are, but it can be possible to bring vividness into a show without interrupting the flow of it. KyoAni can make it now.
-(Hence) KyoAni is the most advanced anime studio ever.
-if K-ON were made 20 years ago, it'd have been a landmark achievement
-if I had to compare it to another series with such a view? Perhaps "Heidi, Girl of the Alps", even though the subject matter is very different
-In the sense that a show is made of one aesthetic sense and the quality is consistent, K-ON can match "Heidi" or "From the Apennines to the Andes". What else comes to mind is "Ganba no Bōken". Since they reached the point, he wants them to expand their work. They can make it.
This is some epic level brown nosing even by Japanese politeness value standards...I mean wow!
Old 2011-12-28, 00:36   Link #826
Westlo
Lets be reality

Haruhi is made when Kadokawa want it to be made, it's their call if they want to sit on it for a couple years and try and push other franchises like Nichijou (which was the 49th best selling manga of 2011 thanks to the anime) and Hyou-Ka. Blaming KyoAni for a lack of Haruhi would be like blaming Miyamato for the N64 going cartridge instead of CD. KyoAni are not owned by Kadokawa, they do work for other people as well (and K-ON is far bigger than Haruhi, the movie performance leaves that in no doubt now), Kadokawa could've scrapped Nichijou or Hyou-Ka and pushed for a Haruhi 3 if they wanted to. It's not like Kadokawa doesn't know they can only get 1 series at best out of KyoAni a year....
Old 2011-12-28, 00:53   Link #827
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

Wonder if Pony Canyon will want then to do anything this coming year or next?

I know KEY wants them to do Little Busters, but there is a line to use the KyoAni studio and your project must not be "unworkable" to get time. (KEY says they can get Little Busters to work...but it will be at least as long as all of Clannad was, and 50 or so episodes is an investment for sure).

In the meantime, Full Metal Panic has started a new story series with new characters after finishing the first storyline completely. And its author still works with KyoAni regularly. Is even working on Hyou-Ka.

Nichijou is getting a 12 episode recut run this season.

And Haruhi is Haruhi. She arrives like a wizard. She is never late....nor is she early. She arrives precisely when she means too. Sometimes 15,532 times when she means too.
(All Hail the God Empress!)
Old 2011-12-28, 01:13   Link #828
Westlo
Lets be reality

I doubt you'll ever see another FMP series, it's obvious Kadokawa aren't interested in pushing it anymore, they'll rather push something fresh with room for growth like Hyou-Ka than a 4th FMP series.
Old 2011-12-28, 12:57   Link #829
Triple_R
*Author

Send a message via AIM to Triple_R
So, along with the mystery series, KyoAni is also doing Chū-2 Byō Demo Koi ga Shitai! in 2012?

So, in other words, while there remains more Haruhi and FMP to adapt, KyoAni is deciding to pick up two entirely new properties rather than to take a more balanced approach by doing something new while also continuing on with one or more of its established franchise. I find that very disappointing. KyoAni is basically leaving fans of its established franchises out in the cold.

Quote:
Originally Posted by brocko View Post

This is a horrible preemptive strawman argument attempting to squash legitimate criticism. Nobody is saying that KyoAni should be "slaves" to the Haruhi franchise. But I would argue that KyoAni should try to strive for balance between developing new properties while continuing on with older established properties. What's wrong with that?

However, what KyoAni is doing instead is basically sending the message that if you're a fan of one of their older established properties, you're going to be left out in the cold in 2012, and you might even be forgotten about going forward beyond that.

I respect the worth in KyoAni trying to find new properties to work on, but they shouldn't completely abandon fans of their established properties in the process.

And if KyoAni don't intend to ever do more FMP, then it's high-time that they let some other anime studio take over that franchise, don't you think?
Old 2011-12-28, 13:06   Link #830
Random32
Also a Lolicon

Its not KyoAni's choice whether they are making another Haruhi. Its Kadokawa's. KyoAni wants to do another FMP, I think they said that a lot of their staff are huge fans of FMP, but its Kadokawa's decision whether they can do it or not and Kadokawa isn't interested in any more FMP from anyone, or else they would have already taken their franchise from KyoAni and gave it to someone else.
Old 2011-12-28, 13:21   Link #831
Triple_R
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Random32 View Post
Its not KyoAni's choice whether they are making another Haruhi. Its Kadokawa's.
It may not be KyoAni's choice alone, but their business relationship with Kadokawa is a two-way street, isn't it? After KyoAni almost certainly ate up a financial loss on Nichijou, KyoAni would have some basis for requesting to do more Haruhi instead of more brand new Kadokawa properties.

Have they bothered to make such a request, or do they simply ask "How high?" whenever Kadokawa shouts "Jump!"? Because if it's the latter, that sort of meekness is itself disappointing to see in a prominent animation studio that actually should hold the upper-hand in these sorts of discussions, due to their level of success in the anime sphere compared to Kadokawa (I recall reading that anime shows based on Kadokawa properties tanked big time back in Summer 2011).

However, it's certainly fair to say that Kadokawa should shoulder at least some of the blame for the lack of more Haruhi or FMP.
Old 2011-12-28, 13:38   Link #832
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

Chū-2 Byō Demo Koi ga Shitai! would appear to be a KyoAni produced product, so they have more control over that...though there are only two books at this point.

Kadokawa is a big time publisher, so it is still in KyoAni's best interest to be with them, though KyoAni seems to have managed to make a reasonable amount of money through other groups like Pony Canyon and KEY.

However they are first and last a animation company. They have been running commercials for themselves in some of their own shows the last few years. They also do not generally show a lack of quality in their products. At least in the art and animation departments. They have shown themselves to have very good technical skills as well has having competent directors who are good with timing and composition. Pacing is a variable. They have shown they can do different styles within the last few years...style of art and animation. No one has particularly tried to get them to change styles of programming.

Aside from Munto TV (and its movie) pretty much every show they have done since Full Metal Panic has gotten a lot of attention (good and bad). Few argue against their technical skills. Most seems to be either fustrated because they aren't going more of one show other another, or are fustrated that they aren't using their skills on some other style of show.
Old 2011-12-28, 13:43   Link #833
TJR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triple_R View Post
It may not be KyoAni's choice alone, but their business relationship with Kadokawa is a two-way street, isn't it? After KyoAni almost certainly ate up a financial loss on Nichijou, KyoAni would have some basis for requesting to do more Haruhi instead of more brand new Kadokawa properties.
I think they're just confident in their ability to produce megahits (Haruhi -> Lucky Star -> K-ON!), so they don't feel any need to rely on sequels. Up until now, there was a perception of invincibility, even amongst people in the industry.

BTW, the recently announced projects would've been decided well before Nichijou's airing. Whether the failure led to any change in Kadokawa or KyoAni won't be seen in at least a year or two.

Quote:
Kadokawa is a big time publisher, so it is still in KyoAni's best interest to be with them, though KyoAni seems to have managed to make a reasonable amount of money through other groups like Pony Canyon and KEY.
The Key titles are done through Pony Canyon as well. So far, Kadokawa and TBS have virtually monopolized their services.
Old 2011-12-28, 13:54   Link #834
Triple_R
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ithekro View Post

However they are first and last a animation company. They have been running commercials for themselves in some of their own shows the last few years. They also do not generally show a lack of quality in their products. At least in the art and animation departments. They have shown themselves to have very good technical skills as well has having competent directors who are good with timing and composition. Pacing is a variable. They have shown they can do different styles within the last few years...style of art and animation. No one has particularly tried to get them to change styles of programming.

Aside from Munto TV (and its movie) pretty much every show they have done since Full Metal Panic has gotten a lot of attention (good and bad). Few argue against their technical skills. Most seems to be either frustrated because they aren't going more of one show other another, or are frustrated that they aren't using their skills on some other style of show.
Yes, all of that is accurate. I don't question their technical skills.

I just find it a bit odd that an animation studio with their proven track record and substantial sales success couldn't leverage Kadokawa to do more of what they want to do. That being said...

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJR View Post
I think they're just confident in their ability to produce megahits (Haruhi -> Lucky Star -> K-ON!), so they don't feel any need to rely on sequels. Up until now, there was a perception of invincibility, even amongst people in the industry.

BTW, the recently announced projects would've been decided well before Nichijou's airing. Whether the failure led to any change in Kadokawa or KyoAni won't be seen in at least a year or two.
This is an interesting theory that might help to explain a lot. This theory also provides hope that a change in Kadokawa and/or KyoAni might be seen in a year or two.
Old 2011-12-28, 14:14   Link #835
Reckoner
Bittersweet Distractor

I wonder why this sort of crap flies in Japan. Something like Haruhi getting so little put out in its American television equivalent is absolutely absurd. Worst, Japan always seems to be riddled in secrecy about their products and it's hard to find out anything that's going on with these franchises. With Kadoakawa's decision making behind Endless 8, and the literal taunting by their company to the fanbase with their franchises, I'm honestly reaching a point where I wouldn't care that much if their company went bankrupt for their ineptitude.
Old 2011-12-28, 14:24   Link #836
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

I'm trying to think of an American equivalent...in terms of popularity that didn't get much from the producers.

Hmmmm....

The Original Battlestar Galactica? It has a good first season run...was rather popular. Still has a massive fanbase. Even had an Endless Eight (some fans wish it didn't happen) Galactica 1980 season. Galactica was too expensive to produce on a TV budget (and had legal problems with George Lucas, but those resolved before the series ended). They had to use a lot of stock footage from the pilot movie for the space fights. Come the 21st century...Battlestar Galactica returned, has several seasons and prequals (Caprica and the up coming Blood and Chrome series).

The hope is that Haruhi doesn't follow those lines, and wait twenty-five years before getting finished. But one also hopes it doesn't turn out like Lost and get done until it runs into the ground.
Old 2011-12-28, 14:37   Link #837
Skane
Anime Snark

It's difficult to compare, because the broadcasting systems are different. In Japan, they pay the networks to air their shows, making it a "glorified" commercial to sell the DVDs and other related merchandise. In USA, the networks pay to air the shows.

Cheers.
Old 2011-12-28, 14:41   Link #838
TJR

Kadokawa is first and foremost a publishing company. I'd guess that the anime unit is mainly intended to promote their publishing, so new properties are prioritized over exploitation of the old. Regarding the best production teams, you want to hire them to develop new moneymaking franchises instead of exploiting something that's already had its popularity established.
Old 2011-12-28, 15:06   Link #839
Goggen

Quote:
It may not be KyoAni's choice alone, but their business relationship with Kadokawa is a two-way street, isn't it?
Well, it's not like they have an equal share in the property. Kadokawa owns Haruhi, thus KyoAni can't do a damn thing with it unless Kadokawa wants them to.
Old 2011-12-28, 22:03   Link #840
brocko

Quote:
This is a horrible preemptive strawman argument attempting to squash legitimate criticism. Nobody is saying that KyoAni should be "slaves" to the Haruhi franchise. But I would argue that KyoAni should try to strive for balance between developing new properties while continuing on with older established properties. What's wrong with that?
Nothing's wrong with that. It's just the initial backlash people feel when they don't exactly get what they want. They feel a sense of entitlement that wasn't fulfilled and they over-react like it's the end of the world. Before anyone started to lash out unneccessarily, I just wanted them to take a quick step back for a minute and remind them that the studio isn't always about so and so franchise and that they're free to do whatever they want, even if it doesn't coincide with ones own expectation of them (or as we've just learnt, some franchises aren't so free to touch unitl "it is time" so to speak).

Yea it's frustrating when things don't go the way you want it to. But I mean somethings gotta give.

http://www.freerice.com/ - For each word you get right, 10 grains of rice is donated through the UN to help end world hunger.
Closed Thread

Tags
studios