AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2012-06-30, 19:17   Link #101
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

12 was not strong by Ginga standards, but happily, episode 13 marks a return to form and was one of the series’ best. I was totally wrapped up in this one from start to finish – pretty much shouting my outrage at the screen by the end of it. There’s a certain something that’s hard to define that separates the really good sports shounen from the pretenders, and it often manifests itself in these game episodes where you’re so swept up in the action that it feels as if you’re watching a real sporting event, except that you’re friends with the players. And Ginga e Kickoff definitely has that something with some to spare.

This whole "gentleman's soccer" thing is a far trickier topic than a show like this will normally even try to tackle. But on the issue of integrity, there's no gray area - what that ref did was inexcusable no matter the sport, be it kids or professionals. I was hugely impressed with Hanashima-sensei this ep - especially for the GAR "Was that officiating gentlemanly, I wonder?" and the declaration that he plans to file a protest. He's not just a good coach, but one who isn't willing to sit by while an injustice is done to his kids.

As for the Triplets, they were clearly the victims here, and they showed surprising maturity in getting the best of the scurrilous ref (with Masaru-chan-san's help). But there's a larger question - are preternaturally talented grade-schoolers obliged to tone down their skills when the gap between they and their peers is great enough to make the game ugly? And what is their coach's obligation when that happens?
Guardian Enzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-03, 16:21   Link #102
emauser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guardian Enzo View Post
As for the Triplets, they were clearly the victims here, and they showed surprising maturity in getting the best of the scurrilous ref (with Masaru-chan-san's help). But there's a larger question - are preternaturally talented grade-schoolers obliged to tone down their skills when the gap between they and their peers is great enough to make the game ugly? And what is their coach's obligation when that happens?
I agree with your opinion on the ref here but IMO the problem is not tonning their skills to the level of their opponents but about respecting them. Wining even 10-0 is perfectly fine as long as you play fair and respect your opponents.

They played fair, there is no doubt about that but what referee felt was that by playing this way they were humiliating and disrespectful towards opposing team. Especially when they have the skills to score the same goals in a normal way. He approached it in a completely wrong way as it doesn't really solve anything and only serves to discourage people from playing.
emauser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-09, 20:21   Link #103
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

14 was genuinely deep - very emotional stuff with Masaru-chan-san, and a very philosophical discussion of the nature of football. Good stuff, but needs more Shou-kun - he's the MC, and the series needs to focus back on him pretty soon, especially his insecurity about not being as skilled as his teammates.
Old 2012-07-09, 23:30   Link #104
vansonbee
❤Ichigo 100%❤

Yup yup! #14 came at me emotionally strong, I did expected the coach to cry, but not this much (feels real).

In America, you'll never see kid shows like this^ Keep it up !

oh ya, I got trolled, thinking the girls were going gaga for Shou-kun! lol, but its all good, he has a wifey already (does not know it)!
Old 2012-07-10, 00:12   Link #105
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

Heh, I knew they were after the Triplets all along - that there were three of them gave it away.
Old 2012-07-10, 01:06   Link #106
DragoonKain3
Osana-Najimi Shipper

I LOVE the coach.

"Just score. Nothing else matters."

Playing to win at its finest.

Yes its YOU childhood friend - source of BERZERKER RAGE since forever
Childhood Friend couple STATISTICS(spoilers abound though)
DragoonKain3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-10, 05:41   Link #107
Cipher

I wonder how they'll show Reika losing weight. Is it after the regionals?
Cipher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-10, 06:20   Link #108
FredFriendly
Beyond the Fringe

Quote:
But there's a larger question - are preternaturally talented grade-schoolers obliged to tone down their skills when the gap between they and their peers is great enough to make the game ugly? And what is their coach's obligation when that happens?
Here in the US, a 9-year-old Little League baseball pitcher was banned by the league because he was too good. And apparently it did get ugly.

Episode 14 was good, though it didn't seem that coach's meeting with his coach made much difference. I guess winning means everything to him, nothing else matters, even if you have to play dirty to win. Not a particularly good role model.

Erika was a riot. She couldn't help herself laughing at Shou, not only at school, but also on the pitch when he gave the triplets the gifts. I couldn't help laughing, either.
FredFriendly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-10, 06:53   Link #109
Cipher

Quote:
Originally Posted by FredFriendly View Post
Episode 14 was good, though it didn't seem that coach's meeting with his coach made much difference. I guess winning means everything to him, nothing else matters, even if you have to play dirty to win. Not a particularly good role model.
What do you mean by "dirty"? Using your opponents body against them is skill. I don't think the coach literally meant that "winning is everything." More accurately, I think he meant, "if using dexterous own-goals works, then great." What matters to him the most is expressed by his last question. "Do you like soccer?" This means that what's important is that you like what you're doing.
Old 2012-07-18, 06:56   Link #110
Sol Falling

Heh. I picked this one up back around ep. 7, but only got around to searching up this thread just now. One thing I have to say: it would be underselling this show to say that its appeal is just being "cheerful" or "energetic". And it is most definitely incorrect to treat the plotline/story as "just for kids". The one thing Ginga e Kickoff has, which lets it blow (in some respects) quite a majority of the sports series I have seen out of the water, is that it's subversive.

Seriously, while it's not a bad thing, I would not honestly put any stock at all in the sentiment that Ginga e Kickoff is not "fantastical". Because we know ultimately what/where the destination of this series is. And it's the excitement, intrigue, and anticipation arising from the ambitiousness of that destination which is really keeping me glued to this series.

Let's lay it out: not only is this a portrayal of a competitive sport being taken on by a unisex team--it is a portrayal of that unisex team, filled with 12 year old kids, eventually taking on (in serious competition) professional adults.

The journey from hapless Shou, fat Reika, and the mishmash of a team in general--into that gorgeously animated, competent team in the intro of the early episodes, is the real treat here. And, part and parcel with that ridiculous premise, comes this show's brilliantly ambitious, startling subversive present developments--the acknowledgement/validation of the triplets' "twisted personalities" and sheer skill.

'Cause that's what they'll need, of course, if they're gonna get anywhere near their audacious plan to take on the "galaxy": sheer skill.

For a premise/storyline this ambitious and interesting, I think it really is a damned shame this series is not more widely watched.
Sol Falling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-19, 16:24   Link #111
Ashlotte
Clockwork

Wow was 15 a pointless episode. Just a retread of previous things covered before...Shou gets depressed mid game...again. Reika is useless...again. Reika's mom is an annoyance...again.

All that plus some really dull games just made this feel like an utterly pointless waste of time...Hopefully they can get back into the swing of things next episode.

No matter what enemy. No matter what ally. Mowing everything down with maximum destructive power.

That is...

"The White Devil of the Administration Bureau"
Ashlotte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-19, 21:07   Link #112
DragoonKain3
Osana-Najimi Shipper

I personally thought it worked well enough, in that they showed that these types of problems just don't go away immediately. At least we're seeing progress though, with Shou recovering from his weak mental state quicker, while Reika is finally starting to fight for the ball. And that's part of the reason why I like Ginga e Kickoff, as the growth of the characters are something that's not jarring to notice.

Yes its YOU childhood friend - source of BERZERKER RAGE since forever
Childhood Friend couple STATISTICS(spoilers abound though)
DragoonKain3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-20, 13:06   Link #113
ditn

15-1,a bit overexagged.
The semi and final seemed a bit rushed to me.
Also shouting the tactics is a bit weird
ditn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-08-05, 12:47   Link #114
FredFriendly
Beyond the Fringe

I had bookmarked the Ginga e Kickoff page on the fansubber's website, http://oyatsu-fansubs.com/category/ginga-e-kickoff/, and tried to go there today to see what's up with episode 16, and got a "Not Found" message. I tried the website's home page, and got the following message:

Quote:
Dear Internet,

sm2345 lied about some staff members unexpected firing. Thus, I don't feel like hosting the site any more.

~AvidElite
I found another URL for the fansubber's website with the following message on the home page posted today:

Quote:
For those worried, Ginga e Kickoff!! is NOT dropped. I cannot say anything about Kokoro Connect at this point in time.
but there no longer seems to be a separate page for Ginga e Kickoff, nor does the website mention when episode 16 might be released.
Old 2012-08-05, 12:57   Link #115
ditn

as far as i know ginga e kickoff is taking a month break and will then re-air
ditn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-08-05, 13:11   Link #116
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by ditn View Post
Yes, but episode 16 was never subbed.
Old 2012-08-05, 13:49   Link #117
FredFriendly
Beyond the Fringe

Quote:
Originally Posted by ditn View Post
Yes, according to doremi-fansubs episode 17 will be aired on August 28th, but the RAW of episode 16 was released over two weeks ago, and still has not been subbed. That's why I went to the fansubber's website looking for some information.
Old 2012-08-23, 00:56   Link #118
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

Go get 16 - our long nightmare is over.
Old 2012-08-26, 23:09   Link #119
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

BIGLOBE "Best Spring Series" poll:

1 Hyouka 856
2 Kuroko no Basuke 542
3 Ginga e Kickoff!! 503
Old 2012-08-30, 02:17   Link #120
Cipher

Quote:
BIGLOBE "Best Spring Series" poll:

1 Hyouka 856
2 Kuroko no Basuke 542
3 Ginga e Kickoff!! 503
how many polls are there and what about the rest of the list?

Tags
school life, shounen, sports