AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > General Anime

Notices

Old 2011-12-13, 04:30   Link #1
0utf0xZer0
Pretentious moe scholar

A thought exercise for the board's moe fans

Two parter:
1) What do you think a college aged version of a character like Sengoku Nadeko, Kuroneko, or Azusa Nakano would be like?
2) How much of the original appeal of the character is retained in that version? What new appeals are added?

Not going to give much in the way of my own thoughts until I'm done with exams, but I'd be very interested to hear what people think.

Signature courtesy of Ganbaru.
0utf0xZer0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-12-13, 07:18   Link #2
Kyuu
=^^=

Y'know what? Looking back at Nanoha. I'd take Adult Nanoha over LOLI Nanoha anyday.

1. Too old for most of the fans in Japan.

2. Original appeal? Appeal is appeal. I suppose; I'll use the word "initial". But really. For me, appeal for a character can happen immediately; but more often than not, the appeal of a character happens throughout the series. Sometimes, that "initial" appeal for a character may end up going in the opposite direction.

For a "new appeal". Oh, certainly. To use the college K-ON example, do these characters act more "mature"? If not, then there would be the issue of consistency. Certainly, some real people may act younger than their age (like myself). But, I wouldn't expect that happening to all the K-ON girls.

On the physical level... I'd expect them to have a more reformed "womanly" shape. If you know what I mean...

===

Nevertheless, the conditions asked in the question happens rarely. Sequels do not focus on... characters in more "grown up" stages. So, for the most part - it's all a What-IF.
Kyuu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-12-13, 07:18   Link #3
Marcus H.
Princess or Plunderer?

> Nadeko might not reach college at the current flow of events in Bakemonoagatari. In the chance that she survives, I think that she would be an "unreachable Yamato Nade(shi)ko", perfect in looks and personality, but she still has her eyes on someone else (i.e. Arararararagi-kun).
> Kuroneko might take up a course in writing and end up with very few friends due to her abrasive personality and insecurity. Her insecurity might lessen based on her relationship with Kyousuke, but I'm pretty sure that her sharp tongue will persist.
> Azusa's personality is clearly changed from her kouhai days to her sempai years. If Azusa would just end up with the personality cycle she had in high school (submissive -> slightly dominant -> probably submissive again), I think that she might only get friends who truly understand how she gets along with others.

Among the three, Azusa's the one I see as the least appealing of the three. Yes, she does possess some moe traits, but it's just on the surface.
College Kuroneko might remind me of Hitagi, blunt and sharp-tongued, but is just as loving.

Just my two cents.
Spring 2023: Yamada-kun to Lv999 no Koi wo Suru, Kuma Kuma Kuma Bear Punch! (4/12), Skip to Loafer, Tonikaku Kawaii S2 (1/12), Otonari ni Ginga (5/12) and Kimi wa Houkago Insomnia (3/13).

Contact me on Wikia and MyAnimeList.
Anime List Status ~ Watching: 33. Completed: 468. Plan to watch: 39.
Marcus H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-12-13, 07:52   Link #4
Zeroryoko1974

Send a message via AIM to Zeroryoko1974 Send a message via Yahoo to Zeroryoko1974
Azu-nyan is already what a junior in HS, I don't see her changing much
Old 2011-12-13, 09:24   Link #5
Bri

Quote:
Originally Posted by 0utf0xZer0 View Post
Two parter:
1) What do you think a college aged version of a character like Sengoku Nadeko, Kuroneko, or Azusa Nakano would be like?
2) How much of the original appeal of the character is retained in that version? What new appeals are added?

Not going to give much in the way of my own thoughts until I'm done with exams, but I'd be very interested to hear what people think.
1) Somewhat along the lines of Saki Morimi from Eden of the East or Tsukimi Kurashita of Kuragihime. Bit more upbeat off course.

2) I think most of the appeal can be retained. Characters like Sengoku, Azusa en Kuroneko don't really possess stereotypical teenage personality traits. The social awkwardness and naïveté of these characters can easily be retained till their mid or late twenties without seeming silly. Contrast these characters to say the cast of AnoHana who do possess the typical elements of puberty. As long as the "blossoming" aspect can be retained I see no problems.

I'm sure the biggest obstacle would be the loss of a high school uniform.
Bri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-12-13, 11:10   Link #6
risingstar3110
✘˵╹◡╹˶✘

I only watch the anime of Bakemonogatari and Oreimo S1. But i agree that Nadako gonna be a Yamato Nadeshiko, or simply a very kind and perfect in every way girl. Kuroneko and her fake pride probably will hook her with a guy and turn her into typical tsundere character (remember that i haven't watched S2 or read the novel). Azunyan? I have a college friend who is probably really close to her, so my guess is very dependent, very social and be a leader of all round, but always will require (and have) helps from friends.

On the appeal questions. I think only Azunyan appeal will slightly change,as she shift from a younger (kouhai) figure, to a more independent one. I never look at Nadako and Kuroneko for their childish, immature sides, so i don't think they will lose much appeals for me

New challenge:
Ika Musume at college ages (~20-ish, assume that she's only at middle school age atm,)
Old 2011-12-13, 14:03   Link #7
Triple_R
*Author

Send a message via AIM to Triple_R
This is a good thought exercise.

As I give some thought to it, two ideas occur to me.

1) I don't think they'd change much. For some reason, I get the idea that each would be a bit more mature, and a bit more well-rounded perhaps. Physically, they might be a little bit taller, but probably no major change there (two of the three 0utf0xZer0 mentioned are naturally short, I think). I think you could easily carry each of the three into College and maintain most of their initial appeal.

2) However, I can kind of see where there might be an issue with introducing characters as College-aged ones, if the goal is moe appeal. This is because the maturation process is more or less complete by the time of College-age, and so that "blossoming" effect that is so commonly valued in moe could be trickier to convey in a College-aged character. I think that a lot of the appeal of moe is in watching adolescence in motion, almost akin to a "coming of age" narrative (and the two do overlap sometimes, with an example being Hanasaku Iroha's Ohana). In real life, one's adolescence (ages 12 to 19) are the most formative, and often the most transformative, years in a person's life. I think that such gradual formation and/or transformation is often a lot of the appeal of moe. It's in getting to watch naturally heightened character development due to the changes wrought by adolescence.

All of the above being said, it would be nice to have more Colleged-age characters for simple variety. But I think a good way to get there might be to age existing characters to that point. I should note that one of my favorite aspects of the Nanoha franchise is in getting to see Nanoha, Fate, and Hayate, grow from little girls to young women.

One final note is that I agree with Bri on the high school uniform point. I think that might in fact be part of the reason why high school-based anime are so commonplace: moe fans loving the aesthetics of the high school uniform. From an artist's perspective, it can also make your job easier as you don't necessarily have to come up with a realistically varied wardrobe for your characters to wear.
Old 2011-12-14, 02:49   Link #8
Archon_Wing
On a mission
*Author

Send a message via MSN to Archon_Wing
1.) Nadeko grown up would be nice. Currently she is just pedo bait anyways so it can only improve my impression of her. Would be a nice tease.

Kuroneko would probably grow up to be a bit less shy and more confident. But she might have put aside her bitter sarcasm and hate, so she will be a different person by a bit. Maybe wear less black and less emo.

2.) I'm biased, so older while maintaining the essentials of the same character is always more awesome. Fate Testarossa is the ultimate example of this where you could appreciate her character in every incarnation. :P (Unless you're a lolicon that hates grown women, ofc)

Avatar/Sig courtesy of TheEroKing
Guild Wars 2 SN: ArchonWing.9480
MyAnimeList || Reviews
Archon_Wing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-12-14, 03:32   Link #9
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

I don't see either Kuroneko or Azunyan changing much in college.. they're going to be small, petite women. At the time of their series, they're pretty much as tall as they're going to get ever (15-17ish in yrs).

As far as I'm concerned, both will have just as much 'moe' appeal when they're 20, 30, or older as they did at 15. They're going to be nnnnngh cute their entire lives.

Nanoha and Fate.... I quite enjoyed the series but didn't mind at all seeing them grow up. So-called fans of characters need to stop freezing characters in age and time.

"moe" is not age-related... and we've got Honey&Clover with a couple of examples of 'moe' college-aged women.

Nadeko... hmmmm, have to think about that one.
Old 2011-12-15, 09:58   Link #10
SaintessHeart
NYAAAAHAAANNNNN~

Azunyan will always be a loli. Unless she changes her VA.

Kuroneko isn't really a loli, she is just petite. And she dresses like a loli and as long as she dresses as one SHE'S MINE.

Appeals-wise, I don't think much will change. Cuteness in character is always cuteness is character - especially how Azunyan's overaged thought processes is always undermined by her cuteness (as shown in the Mio fanclub episode where she seems to misinterpret "cleaning the bath" and "eating taiyaki at gill cover" as *ahem*).

And I don't think my waifu and favourite loli characters' VAs won't change much in the future - I still think Kana-tan and Ayanyan's girls are adorable, along with Nana-chan's Ricotta from Dog Days. And the two 1989 loli-voicing VAs (Ayanyan and Kanatan) proved that having a default claim on their characters bags me cute waifus, a recent example being Guilty Crown (Ayase and Tsugumi).

When three puppygirls named after pastries are on top of each other, it is called Eclair a'la menthe et Biscotti aux fraises avec beaucoup de Ricotta sur le dessus.
Most of all, you have to be disciplined and you have to save, even if you hate our current financial system. Because if you don't save, then you're guaranteed to end up with nothing.

Last edited by CrowKenobi; 2011-12-15 at 14:39. Reason: Waifu wars (and shipping in general) are off-topic in this thread. :)
SaintessHeart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-12-15, 17:25   Link #11
Kyuu
=^^=

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexx View Post
Nanoha and Fate.... I quite enjoyed the series but didn't mind at all seeing them grow up. So-called fans of characters need to stop freezing characters in age and time.
Kinda can't help that -- as a huge majority of characters are indeed "frozen in time".

To think, the Sailor Scouts would be like... in their 30's now. And maybe some of 'em may end up as MILFs. How's THAT for a thought experiment?
Kyuu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-12-15, 18:59   Link #12
Demi.
Ass connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyuu View Post
Kinda can't help that -- as a huge majority of characters are indeed "frozen in time".

To think, the Sailor Scouts would be like... in their 30's now. And maybe some of 'em may end up as MILFs. How's THAT for a thought experiment?
I think he is referring to the kind of people that call any character over the age of 19 an "old hag" or "over the hill" if they were shown as a loli (or at least look the part despite their age) at one point in the series...As such they mysteriously stop liking the character simply because they've grown older.

Interestingly enough, that's when loli fans stop being reasonable, and go straight to annoying.

Last edited by Demi.; 2011-12-15 at 19:29.
Demi. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-12-15, 19:43   Link #13
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demi. View Post
I think he is referring to the kind of people that call any character over the age of 19 an "old hag" or "over the hill" if they were shown as a loli (or at least look the part despite their age) at one point in the series...As such they mysteriously stop liking the character simply because they've grown older.

Interestingly enough, that's when loli fans stop being reasonable, and go straight to annoying.
Exactly
Old 2011-12-16, 19:18   Link #14
Archon_Wing
On a mission
*Author

Send a message via MSN to Archon_Wing
Kemono no Souja Erin has a great example of a lead being naturally moe throughout her growth from a young girl to a very elegant and competent women.

Natural moe as in it permeates through her personality, not by some stupid contrived gimmick to force it in by shoving it in your face like many a modern title.

Avatar/Sig courtesy of TheEroKing
Guild Wars 2 SN: ArchonWing.9480
MyAnimeList || Reviews
Archon_Wing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-12-16, 19:45   Link #15
erneiz_hyde
18782+18782=37564

I'm not sure if this is the right place for it, but here goes:

As I watched Mashiro Iro Symphony, I've been thinking about a particular scenario:
Spoiler for to be safe:
Old 2011-12-16, 22:41   Link #16
0utf0xZer0
Pretentious moe scholar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bri View Post
Somewhat along the lines of Saki Morimi from Eden of the East or Tsukimi Kurashita of Kuragihime. Bit more upbeat off course.
For which one?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bri View Post
I think most of the appeal can be retained. Characters like Sengoku, Azusa en Kuroneko don't really possess stereotypical teenage personality traits.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Triple_R View Post
I don't think they'd change much. For some reason, I get the idea that each would be a bit more mature, and a bit more well-rounded perhaps.
I’m inclined to agree. A couple days back I was thinking about putting something to the effect of “when it comes to anime girls, I’d go for Kuroneko as a university freshman”. And then I realized that much of the appeal to me could be retained in a 20-ish versions of the characters in question, despite the fact these characters are often considered “lolis” to some extent. For example, a 20 year old Nadeko could easily still be an “artfully shy little flirt”. Yeah, she wouldn’t be “forbidden fruit” anymore, but I always found that more comedic than desirable when I watch Bakemonogatari. [/

That said, I do think that Nadeko and Kuroneko are at their bests when they can use their devastating “onii-chan” or “senpai” attacks on their target, so age relative to others is a factor.

Ironically, it’s actually the eldest of the three – Azusa – that I think would be subject to the greatest change. I think she’d still be cute, but the character of her cuteness would change. As a teenager, she’s pretty high strung and I think she’s mellow out given a few years.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triple_R View Post
Physically, they might be a little bit taller, but probably no major change there (two of the three 0utf0xZer0 mentioned are naturally short, I think). I think you could easily carry each of the three into College and maintain most of their initial appeal.
Most girls don’t grow much in height after 14, so even Nadeko is probably close to full height. They may fill out a little – again, I think the change would be most noticeable with Azusa.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archon_Wing View Post
Kuroneko would probably grow up to be a bit less shy and more confident. But she might have put aside her bitter sarcasm and hate, so she will be a different person by a bit. Maybe wear less black and less emo.
While I think she could mellow out a bit, I also think she’s too stubborn to ever lose her sharpness.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaintessHeart View Post
I still think Kana-tan and Ayanyan's girls are adorable
Kana and Ayana themselves are pretty cute, and I’d actually say that Kana looks better now in her early 20s then she does in the pictures I’ve seen of her as a teenager.

Quote:
"moe" is not age-related... and we've got Honey&Clover with a couple of examples of 'moe' college-aged women.
Mostly agree, although I can’t help but notice how most of the adult women I consider moe tend to have personalities that make their age less noticeable – in particular, the Matsuri Shihou/Horo/Akiko Minase/“fun and charming” type. There are some moe personality types that don’t necessarily fit older characters well, although the drop-off is more gradual than sudden – ie. Tsugumi’s “tsundere with a death wish” thing works in Ever 17 even though she’s in her 20s.
Quote:
Nadeko... hmmmm, have to think about that one.
I keep getting this mental image of an adult – and very beautiful in an elegant sort of way – Nadeko introducing herself with “remember me, onii-chan?”.

Given how popular the three characters are I kept wondering why it was so hard to find fanart of them as adults, given that I can find artwork of a character like Ever 17’s Coco as an adult… then I realized the Coco picture was drawn by the artist who did the CGs for the original game and hence isn’t really fanart in the strictest sense.

Signature courtesy of Ganbaru.
0utf0xZer0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-12-16, 22:42   Link #17
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by 0utf0xZer0 View Post
I keep getting this mental image of an adult – and very beautiful in an elegant sort of way – Nadeko introducing herself with “remember me, onii-chan?”.
HEH! Yeah, that works beautifully...
Old 2011-12-17, 03:49   Link #18
BaKaBaKaOtaKu
Stupidity is Bliss.

Adult versions of those mentioned characters, i would take any day over their loli counterparts. Fantasizing over loli characters is just so wrong in so many levels, for me atleast. That's why i'll never understand these lolicons' taste LOL.

Kuroneko's adult self would be so win btw!!
BaKaBaKaOtaKu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-12-17, 04:39   Link #19
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

Since the K-On manga has been continuing up to this point, we get to see Azusa in her senior year at high school. She's likely not growing much more after that. She's still short...short to the point the first years mention it (interally). They tend to mention cute as well. She has mellowed out a little bit since shes taken over the light music club. She doesn't have to deal with Ritsu, Mio, Yui, and Mugi anymore, so she's not required to hold anyone above her in status. Well aside from Sawako...who is generally not treated like an elder. Azusa has her own band to form, which has been most of the plot so far...well that and getting to know everyone, since Jun and Ui needed more personality, Azusa's mellowing needed to be addressed, and the new band members needed time as well.

If the manga continues, we may actually see Azusa in college since this manga does not seem to keep the characters young forever.
Old 2011-12-17, 15:10   Link #20
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ithekro View Post
Since the K-On manga has been continuing up to this point, we get to see Azusa in her senior year at high school. She's likely not growing much more after that. She's still short...short to the point the first years mention it (interally). They tend to mention cute as well. She has mellowed out a little bit since shes taken over the light music club. She doesn't have to deal with Ritsu, Mio, Yui, and Mugi anymore, so she's not required to hold anyone above her in status. Well aside from Sawako...who is generally not treated like an elder. Azusa has her own band to form, which has been most of the plot so far...well that and getting to know everyone, since Jun and Ui needed more personality, Azusa's mellowing needed to be addressed, and the new band members needed time as well.

If the manga continues, we may actually see Azusa in college since this manga does not seem to keep the characters young forever.
I'm kind of fascinated to see just how long Kakifly will follow the women through their lives. And yeah, Azunyan ftw -- my wife was 4'10" at 14yrs, has stayed 4'10" for the 40 years afterward... and and weighs 95lbs now rather than 90lbs (which she's working on). So Azunyan is a lot of nostalgia for me