Old 2009-01-17, 09:54   Link #43
klowny
OH NO

maybe something else will kill us before that happens
klowny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-01-17, 13:36   Link #44
Zaris
of Porsche

Send a message via AIM to Zaris Send a message via MSN to Zaris Send a message via Yahoo to Zaris
Like Kamui4356, I watched like 10 minutes of this Nostradamus 2012 presentation a week ago and couldn't watch any more. It was too bogus to be taken seriously for me.

My thoughts are it's not gonna happen, much less a cosmic phenomenon where the planet's gonna be engulfed in some black hole, supernova, or come barraging with meteors and asteroids and therefore bringing down mankind or civilization as we know it. Perhaps the world's gonna suck even more in three years time, the natural resources will be miniscule, oil will be priced sky high, and America's gonna drown in saltwater (or in California's case, die in a blazing wildfire). But it's not gonna be the end of the world. We're still gonna go to school, we're still gonna do our jobs, we're still gonna build cool cars, and we're still gonna live life and party.

Suck? Maybe. Oblivion? Not while I'm still alive. But if it does happen, I won't mind people saying, "I told you so."
Zaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-01-17, 17:17   Link #45
greatpower2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deadly Delusion View Post
For the last goddamn time:

THE LHC IS HARMLESS!
assuming of course everything goes according to plan. I don't think it's going to kill us all, but many scientists have even said it was potentially dangerous.

Any one sided debate is a bad one anyway, people should be able to see both sides of the story. Honestly I don't even think it will kill us, but accidents happen.
greatpower2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-01-17, 18:05   Link #46
Takeru
Jag äter idioter
*Graphic Designer

Send a message via AIM to Takeru
I still say it's going to be because FOX broadcasted The Day the Earth Stood Still to Alpha Centari.
Because it was broadcast 12/12/2008 and will take four years to get there (12/12/2012). So whatever life forms are out there will see it, get mad, and come invade us 9 days later (12/21/2012).

Other than that, it's going to be like every other "doomsday" where we sit there and absolutely nothing happens.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexx View Post
And that's why the "Discovery Channel" is no longer a "science" channel.... it *used* to be, but they decided to co-opt the lunacy and "in-faux-mation" nonsense documentaries. One of the best ways to screw up information is to seed it with bad bits. People see enough bad bits and they can't tell the good bits from the bad anymore.
Exactly. Though, the same could be said about the History Channel and all of their UFO and Monster related shows...
Old 2009-01-17, 21:01   Link #47
Irenicus
Le fou, c'est moi

Quote:
Originally Posted by greatpower2 View Post
assuming of course everything goes according to plan. I don't think it's going to kill us all, but many scientists have even said it was potentially dangerous.
Many scientists who?
Irenicus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-01-17, 22:04   Link #48
LaceNFrills

Maybe we'll all die but the Earth is not gonna end. Or maybe the world is going to move into a new age, like with the Medieval time and the Renaissance.. At first I was really convinced about this theory. I used to get all depressed whenever I see/ hear this topic, like.. my heart would sank lol..
LaceNFrills is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-01-17, 22:48   Link #49
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irenicus View Post
Many scientists who?
"many" is such a wonderfully vague term... in this case it means "virtually none"
Old 2009-01-18, 09:44   Link #50
Clarste
Human

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaceNFrills View Post
Maybe we'll all die but the Earth is not gonna end. Or maybe the world is going to move into a new age, like with the Medieval time and the Renaissance.. At first I was really convinced about this theory. I used to get all depressed whenever I see/ hear this topic, like.. my heart would sank lol..
What? It's not like cultural change on that scale happens overnight. "Age" as we define them are completely artificial distinctions created by historians to help describe things after the fact. It's not like we all woke up one day and collectively decided that it was now the information age (and no longer the industrial age). An era changing on a given date just fundamentally makes no sense.

Unless of course the era in question is merely the calendar. In which case, yes, the Mayan calendar resets when the Mayan calendar resets.

I doubt anything interesting is going to happen, given that the Earth is 5 billion+ years old and everything that's going to happen to it on that day has already happened more times than we can imagine, but it is possible that they'll be some statistically measurable effect around that time, give or take a decade or so.
Clarste is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-01-18, 12:51   Link #51
JOJOS'STAR
*Artist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexx View Post
"many" is such a wonderfully vague term... in this case it means "virtually none"
The problem is, every time the end of the world is announced (as every weak spiritual-thirsty atheist's soul reveal themselves totaly illuminate) its the same thing;

- If it was true we would not know because the goverment yould not let the info out for the public.

But it is true that less you know about it, the more you wonder if its ment to happen or not.

So when things like that occure once in a decade, before it gets too big and start being dangerous, why would'nt national security make public that there is noting happening and explain everything as simple as it is in a public report?

Maybe its because the economy would profit of such a situation...

Or else, why such programs as "The maya code revealed" on discovery channel?

Oh and btw Vexx thanks for the constructive requirement achevement.

Last edited by JOJOS'STAR; 2009-01-18 at 12:55. Reason: Vexx credit
JOJOS'STAR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-01-18, 13:46   Link #52
Shay
Monarch Programmer

Not the end of the world, that's way off. The end of mankind, however? Maybe.

Maybe it's just time for a new species to have a shot. And maybe this new species will have some respect for the Earth which sustains them.

I mean would you treat the home you live in like you treat the world around you? Would you just throw litter on your living room floor? Because it is essentially the same thing.
Current Album - Vessel by Twenty One Pilots
Shay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-01-18, 14:36   Link #53
Irenicus
Le fou, c'est moi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexx
Indeed. And I'd like to add that it's surprisingly common to mistake expertise in one area for expertise in another. An anthropology PhD is not automatically qualified to talk about the LHC on the same level as a physicist, unfortunately. "Professor" this and that sounds really nice in the media, and then you read their qualifications and they have nothing to do with the topics at hand.

Sadly that means my English professor isn't qualified to talk about the End of the World As We Know It either. Historians, may be.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JOJOS'STAR View Post
The problem is, every time the end of the world is announced (as every weak spiritual-thirsty atheist's soul reveal themselves totaly illuminate)
What?

Edit: To the person who neg-repped me here. Can't you at least ask me what I meant before doing that? Really. Yes, I can read. And yes, I'm just using a relatively non-inflammatory way of asking someone for a clarification of a phrase that seems rather controversial and unsupported.

Quote:
Or else, why such programs as "The maya code revealed" on discovery channel?
Because they're popular*?

Like I said, it's a lot more fun when you take it from a psychoanalytical context *ahem* than actually taking it all seriously.

*Mind, I actually dropped Discovery Channel when I realized the fun and educational programs of my youth have somehow turned into one hundred fucking motorcycle-building shows a day, so they've lost a customer there. Get Atlantis off the air and give me back Samarkand dammit!

Last edited by Irenicus; 2009-01-20 at 21:51.
Old 2009-01-18, 16:43   Link #54
Comrade
A fuckin' genius!

Quote:
Not the end of the world, that's way off. The end of mankind, however? Maybe.

Maybe it's just time for a new species to have a shot. And maybe this new species will have some respect for the Earth which sustains them.

I mean would you treat the home you live in like you treat the world around you? Would you just throw litter on your living room floor? Because it is essentially the same thing.
Not gonna happen and here's why.
1. Who is going to replace us? Every species that we currently have around have been around for several hundred if not thousand years, and they haven't showed even the slightest sign of getting smarter.
2. Mankind won't disappear just like that *snaps fingers*. Furthermore if it's going to be a plague that kills us it won't have an easy job killing more than 6.5 billion of hairless apes, because our level of medicine can cure a lot of things. Of course it can't cure everything, but if a massive plague starts to spread then I'm certain that we will be able to eventually defeat it.
3. Finally, if there will be a world wide cataclysm, lets stay with the human killing plague for example. It will eventually serve as a reason to start a war or world wide protests, uprisings, whatever. If that happens humans are more than capable of taking the entire planet down with them. So there will be nothing for the next species to have.
Old 2009-01-18, 17:13   Link #55
Kamui4356
Aria Company

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shay View Post
Maybe this hypothetical new species will have even less respect for the earth and eventually stripmine the whole planet before breaking it up and using the raw material to build massive space constructs.
Old 2009-01-18, 17:20   Link #56
Irenicus
Le fou, c'est moi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kamui4356 View Post
Maybe this hypothetical new species will have even less respect for the earth and eventually stripmine the whole planet before breaking it up and using the raw material to build massive space constructs.
You sure that's not our descendants, circa 2200?
Old 2009-01-18, 17:45   Link #57
Kamui4356
Aria Company

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irenicus View Post
You sure that's not our descendants, circa 2200?
Nah, there'd be too much buracratic red tape. Any plans like that by humans would get bogged down in paperwork.
Old 2009-01-18, 21:44   Link #58
Kenshin3
Gundam Wing Zero

here's why not to worry about 2012 (true or not)

our calander says we are in 2009.

It is wrong.

We are in 2009 based on our own standard, but by that of the myan calander, it's different.

There have been so many changes in "time" that we can't keep up, thigns like the added months july and august, to the resulting leap-year to the new calander starting at year 1...we're not in 2009, and we won't be in 2012 when we think we are..
Kenshin3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-01-18, 22:09   Link #59
ClockWorkAngel
Aspiring Aspirer

Send a message via MSN to ClockWorkAngel
Damn I won't be able to graduate university if the world ends that soon.

I've heard about this, really I think it’s a load of rubbish.

Nostradamus made alot of predictions not to mention alot of people use him as a source to cite obviously fake predictions.

Not to mention we shouldn't have too much faith on a civilization's calender that on the side believed the the hearts of thousands also appeased their mighty snake deity in the temple. I admit that they were advanced but they weren't always the level headed especially with matters of total annihilation.

Credit To Risa-chan!
ClockWorkAngel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-01-20, 00:37   Link #60
Nightbat®
Deadpan Snarker

The world will end when I run out of coffee

....and I hope for you guys' sake that doesn't happen as soon as 2012

Tags
apocalypse