AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Archived Manga & Light Novel Discussion

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2004-06-26, 07:57   Link #61
Shaddyboy

well ive read the manga so i decieded to see the anime...but boy was i dissapointed, the anime wasnt bad or so..but they could have follwed the manga then it would have been much better. The endig of the anime sucked..totally different from the manga.
But overall the anime was good, manga was much better..
Old 2004-06-26, 10:55   Link #62
evil|plushie
The Last Frontier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ero-Senpai
I've just finished reading the love hina manga.. and i must say. OMG.
That has got to be the most emotional moving story i have ever read.

Most....emotional....moving....story.............. ...................

Please go read Maison Ikkoku.

http://sining83.blogspot.com
Old 2004-06-26, 13:33   Link #63
Kyuven
Bishoujo Goodness Galore!

Quote:
Originally Posted by evil|plushie

Maiison ikkoku is TOO emotional and moving for some people (not me though)
Old 2004-06-26, 13:37   Link #64
KristopherZ
Car Freak

Send a message via AIM to KristopherZ Send a message via MSN to KristopherZ
Quote:
I've just finished reading the love hina manga.. and i must say. OMG.
That has got to be the most emotional moving story i have ever read. Most books ya read don't follow a person/persons so much that you see how they grow, as much as this one does. I mean i really got into the story to the point as to where i couldn;t wait to turn the page and see what happens, and thats rare for me.
i've read A.I. love you and to me it was ok, but when i got started reading LH i couldn;t stop.
I just hope Negima gives me as much as fullfillment as this, probably not as emotional but its hijinks will keep me entertained.

all i can say is Ken Akamatsu
I am a huge fan of Love Hina, and I am telling you that you are reading it for the wrong thigns (emotional, moving, and story). If you are reading stories for that I point you to series that do a better job of doing it like Naruto, One Piece, or Rurouni Kenshin. Love Hina is great because of the COMEDY. The series is funny as hell and it has some fanservice to satify the pervs out there.
Old 2004-06-26, 20:52   Link #65
Spyre
"Soon"

Quote:
Originally Posted by evil|plushie

Please don't. Baby steps.
Old 2004-06-27, 20:25   Link #66
Aaron_b
The Missing Link

Quote:
I've just finished reading the love hina manga..
Welcome to the club! It's a really fascinating story, and what I admire most about it is how Akamatsu managed to string out five different love stories at the same time... In any case, there are a lot of people I'm sure that may have given up on the story because it is so long; and yet, I'm very glad that the story was so long... It kind of gave me something to hold onto for two and a half years while Tokyopop was releasing it.

And yet, while some girls' love may not be as prominant as the next, each and every relationship with Keitaro was integral to keeping all of Hinata Sou together.

I think I remember Akamatsu at the end of the series mentioning that even though Kitsune had a small role in terms of how much she actuall conversed with Keitaro and Naru, she was still integral to the whole story. Which reminds me of the one time where Kitsune shows that she is falling for Keitaro... It's at some point where Naru and Kei are arguing and mad over one another (I think), and Kitsune volunteers to comfort little miss Narusegawa. By the slip of a tongue she notes something like "maybe all of this time I was just letting you have Keitaro," to which Naru simply states, "what?" "Oh, nothing, nothing, nothing..." And so on. I loved Kitsune's character one of the most because of her chronic knack for gambling and for her ability to keep a story together while still being out of the limelight. And any author and/or artist that can craft a story in which one character (or more) can do that and do it well, gains much of my appreiciation.

I would have to say that my favorite scene in the manga of Love Hina, where Ken Akamatsu's story structure really took me by surprise was when Keitaro was scheduling to go off to the United States for a semester with Seta. After the initial flight is delayed Kei and Naru are [still] arguing over whether or not the trip is good for their relationship and the conversation gets a little heated. Naru almost openly confesses her love for Keitaro; "Why? Why don't you want me to go?" "Because I lo-" and she cuts herself off...

Ahhhh, it's been a few long months since I've read a single panel of the comic, but I remember it well.
Old 2004-06-28, 19:37   Link #67
Ero-Senpai
Hm Otaku Sapiens i think?

well I guess i am just a hopeless romantic then Kris cause i just loved the story
I've seen reviews of maison ikkoku and it seems interesting and since its from the author of ranma and inuyasha i'm sure i'll love it. not saying her name since i can;t spell it right

as far as naruto and one peice i have watched the anime and loved them and plan on getting the manga one day. the only reason i got love hina manga was because i had alrdy watched the anime, altho i felt a little jilted it was still a good show for me.
currently i am reading/watching the following:

Love hina manga/anime
galaxy angel manga
ai yori aoshi manga/ anime
ai yori aoshi enishi anime
onegai teacher manga/ anime
shaman king manag/ anime
A.I. love you manga
Tsubasa manga
One piece anime
naruto anime
full metal alchemist anime
hikaru no go anime

i would do alot more manga but what with just buying a house and a baby on the way money is tight

oh well i guess i can just keep reading them over again
Old 2004-06-29, 02:50   Link #68
lensman

Send a message via Yahoo to lensman
Love Hina is one of the greatest Manga ever created... period...

What is interesting to know is that Akamatsu originally intended Love Hina to be just filler for Shonen magazine. But suddenly (around volume 4, or so) it got a LOT better and the result was a story that was beautiful as was captivating.

I love the changes the characters go through, especially Motoko and Shinobu. And, by the way, have you noticed that the first thing Shinobu does once she matures (in volume 14, before we see her in adult form) is to send Keitaro airborn, by hitting him?

Some characters, like Mutsumi, Kaolla, and Kitsune were static but they played a great part in the story, and there were hints that there was much more to them than meets the eye. Kaolla despite her happy-so-lucky attitude is essentially a very lonely person, and Kitsune despite her attitude is a really caring person. In fact one of the static characters, Mutsumi, is my favourite because she is sweet, innocent, naive and very beautiful.

Spoiler:

For me, even Kanako is an interesting and important character.

Spoiler:

Even one of the most villified aspects of the Manga (just check out any Love Hina Fanfic section), the Naru/Keitaro relationship worked well for me.

Spoiler:

Naru's character is interesting because she is one of those people that get in the way of their own happiness.

Spoiler:

She is incredibly worried about her image.

Spoiler:

Despite that she is a likeable character. She cares about Keitaro a lot and is actually sweet, despite her mood swings and violent behaviour. There are points in the Manga where she offers support to him and helps him out.

Spoiler:

Most of her flaws stem from the fact that she is a good but insecure person. She is insecure about her sexuality

Spoiler:

she is insecure about boys, she is insecure about her future, she is insecure about herself she is even insecure about her friends. It is through her relationship with Keitaro that she gets over those insecurities and actually finds some kind of balance in her life.Like most of the characters in the manga Naru develops as well and ends up being quite a mature person (well... almost).

The anime was not bad, but it lacked the character development the Manga had. The other girl's crushes on Keitaro were downplayed, and in the end of the anime, they were essentially where they had started. The anime also misses one of the most important points of the manga, Keitaro wondering where he is headed in life, and what he is supposed to do (just before he decides to go study in the states. However, I did like the fact that Kitsune's character was more developed in the anime than in the manga. And of course, I am thankfull because the anime introduced me to the manga.

Whew! Sorry about the verbal diarrhea... But the Love Hina manga is one of my favourite topics... Right after GTO...
Old 2004-06-29, 22:40   Link #69
Aaron_b
The Missing Link

Nice breakdown of Naru Narusegawa's involvement throughout Love Hina... Now, if only we had the time and energy to do that for all of the characters, including Autn Haruko.
Old 2004-06-29, 23:31   Link #70
Kyuven

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aaron_b
Nice breakdown of Naru Narusegawa's involvement throughout Love Hina... Now, if only we had the time and energy to do that for all of the characters, including Autn Haruko.
Haruka...hmmmm
Spoiler:
Old 2004-06-30, 05:27   Link #71
lensman

Send a message via Yahoo to lensman
Quote:
Actually I am working on a Love Hina Webpage with very accurate descriptions and analyses of ALL the characters...

I am currently on Motoko...
Old 2004-06-30, 16:16   Link #72
Yamori
かみかぜ やもり 

Send a message via AIM to Yamori
love hina was my first favorite manga lol. i downloaded it and read it in 2 days. i like it so much that i bought all the books and have read the series 14 times and some of the books more than that lol. its been awhile since i've read it though so maybe i'll re-read it again soon. ^.^
Old 2004-06-30, 22:26   Link #73
Aaron_b
The Missing Link

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yamori
love hina was my first favorite manga lol. i downloaded it and read it in 2 days. i like it so much that i bought all the books and have read the series 14 times and some of the books more than that lol. its been awhile since i've read it though so maybe i'll re-read it again soon. ^.^
Love Hina is a comic that is fun to re-read over and over again, because everyonce in a while you'll stumble upon an experience or conversation that will change your perspective of a character (or rather, how you understand that character to think). Sometimes you stumble upon errors in translation (like thought bubbles with no text...) as well...
Old 2004-06-30, 22:35   Link #74
Kyuven

Quote:
Love Hina is a comic that is fun to re-read over and over again, because everyonce in a while you'll stumble upon an experience or conversation that will change your perspective of a character (or rather, how you understand that character to think). Sometimes you stumble upon errors in translation (like thought bubbles with no text...) as well...
...and you need to read it in order, never making that mistake again
i recently reread the series in order (i had been missing vol. 8 and 9 for a long time) and discovered certain things about the characters (like Su) that i didn't realize before
Old 2004-06-30, 23:52   Link #75
pyu
Crouchety Old Man

Send a message via MSN to pyu
Love Hina emotional? Well, in some ways, yeah, I guess you can say there's emotional stuff in there. However, what detracts from it being seriously emotional like what you see in some shoujo manga is... well, Love Hina wasn't suppose to be serious in the first place.

It's a romantic comedy, with I suppose with lots of potential to be more mature and dark with all the tangly relationships that were there.
Old 2004-07-04, 22:35   Link #76
Aaron_b
The Missing Link

I don't know if I would go so far as to say that Love Hina was potentially dark, I will note that it did have the ability to go from dead serious in one panel to slapstick comedy in another, without really losing the reader's interest. The way the story is written, is so that the reader can apparently understand either plot device to be an honest interpretation of how the characters move and think within the world that is Love Hina.
Old 2004-12-15, 04:52   Link #77
Misha~su
~Tee hee hee~

Love Hina (spoilers)

This is a question about the relationship between Seta and Haruka.
Spoiler for around Vol 12:

Last edited by xris; 2004-12-15 at 06:03. Reason: Merged threads and added spoiler tag
Old 2004-12-15, 10:12   Link #78
Aoie_Emesai
♪♫ Maya Iincho ♩♬
*Artist

Send a message via Yahoo to Aoie_Emesai
I hope you're/ya not abusing the manga scans. If you really like it buy it, on ebay or something, support your authors.

The major plot differences ya say really dont make much differences in the storyline. Its very very minimal to the storyline. Kei calling Naru "Narusegawa" is quite insignificant ne? But its rather cool to have a little different story ne?

How to Give / Receive Criticism on your work / Like to draw? Come join Artists Alike
Visit my Deviantart Or Blog ~A Child should always surpass his/her parent, Remember.
Old 2004-12-16, 11:54   Link #79
SetaNoriyasu
Harbinger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aoie_Emesai
I hope you're/ya not abusing the manga scans. If you really like it buy it, on ebay or something, support your authors.

The major plot differences ya say really dont make much differences in the storyline. Its very very minimal to the storyline. Kei calling Naru "Narusegawa" is quite insignificant ne? But its rather cool to have a little different story ne?

Actually there is quite a bit of significance, according to my understanding of the japanese social structure *which might be flawed so, I could be stand corrected*, unless you are really close friends, or intimate, only then does a person call another by his or her given name, otherwise, they would refer to him or her by their maiden name.

There are some unusual cases where you address a person according to your social status, or age. Eg.

According to age
Keitaro is older than Motoko, there for he address' her by her given name
Motoko is Younger than Keitaro, There for she adress' him by his maiden name, Urashima

According to superiority
Naru is younger than Keitaro yet address' him by his given name, showing a certain degree of seniority or superiority
Keitaro address Naru, by her maiden name Narusegawa, symbolizing the amount of uh... superiority.

Spoiler regarding issue 14 of the manga
Spoiler:

Another few things that I really didn't like was the amount of American Pop-culture and video-game references that there were in the Tokyopop rendition of Love Hina

Example
Spoiler:
Old 2004-12-17, 01:32   Link #80
Sailor Enlil
GWAAAA!

Glad to see a discussion of Love Hina here. It's one of my top favorite Manga and Anime (I watched the anime first, in both languages - yeah the dub mostly sucks, before buying almost the entire manga set, I'm just missing Vol 11).

I'm not a all bothered by the changes resulting from Tokyopop's translation, other than use of some vulgarity especially in Vol 9, eg Shinobu calling Nyamo and Naru a Floozy, Naru calling Keitaro a dumbass, and this one by Haruka:

Spoiler for Don't open if you're offended by somewhat harsh language:
Closed Thread

Tags
comedy, harem