AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2006-04-17, 04:16   Link #121
zalas
tsubasa o sagashite

Send a message via ICQ to zalas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iskandar Taib
The fansub I watched used the word "Simula" for the pilots. Given that the name of the nation is "Simulacrum" (strange, isn't it.. sort of suggests it's fake, like the world in Scrapped Princes..), maybe that isn't far off?
No, they specifically said that シヴュラ meant 'priestess' in the glossary. If they wanted Simula, they would've used シムラ, the prefix of シムラークルム, the word they used for Simulacrum.
zalas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-04-17, 04:17   Link #122
Iskandar Taib

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeoSam
I'm looking forward for this yuri goodness

From my understanding Comic Yurihime is a magazine aimed at lesbians.
Should be interesting, since this is nothing like ANYTHING I've seen in Yuri Hime's predecessor (i.e. Yuri Shimai). Scanlations of Yuri Shimai content is on the Lillilicious scanlation projects page:

http://www.hactar.net/lily/projects.php

Perhaps Simoun will appear on there someday, as well...

On another note. The problem with Neville (boy, did I do a double take when watching the fansub, had to watch it twice to figure things out) is that I immediately think "Longbottom".

Oh, and before I forget. I find it interesting that these girls are not hardbitten veterans. They seem new to war, even though they are highly trained and are regarded as the elite among squadrons. Perhaps the war had just started, but more likely, the Simoun simply have never known loss. The start out thinking they're invincible, and full of confidence. And then they find out what CAN happen to them. The loss of three of their number shakes their morale to the core. I wonder if it was much like that for pilots in the RAF and Luftwaffe in 1939, before the actual shooting began.

Iskandar

Last edited by Iskandar Taib; 2006-04-17 at 04:40.
Iskandar Taib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-04-17, 05:03   Link #123
Matrim
Naysayer?Fanboy?Wiseacre?

Quote:
Oh, and before I forget. I find it interesting that these girls are not hardbitten veterans. They seem new to war, even though they are highly trained and are regarded as the elite among squadrons. Perhaps the war had just started, but more likely, the Simoun simply have never known loss.
Not likely but surely, a few of the Sibyllas said clearly that they think it must have been a mistake, it was supposed to be impossible for anyone to defeat a Simoun. I don't think the war has just started but it has probably been very much a one-sided affair.

Matrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-04-17, 05:45   Link #124
zalas
tsubasa o sagashite

147さん on the シムーンは百合にはならない thread on 2ch suggested that テンプスパティウム be the combination of "tempus" and "spatium" into "tempuspatium", essentially "time-space"/"space-time" in Latin. Perhaps this deity they are worshipping is actually some long lost science, with a technical name like "space-time."
Old 2006-04-17, 06:10   Link #125
Matrim

Yes, I also suspect it's "tempus spatium". I think it would be quite interesting if they worship a scientific concept.

Old 2006-04-17, 06:16   Link #126
zalas
tsubasa o sagashite

This kind of reminds me of Lady of the Trillium by Marion Zimmer Bradley, where one of the "magicians" was worshipping the dark god "Ay-See" or something. XD;
Old 2006-04-17, 09:25   Link #127
Yui from Okinawa

Send a message via Yahoo to Yui from Okinawa
Thumbs up Okay, I rivise mistake spell "Sibylla"

http://www.geocities.jp/emiri_0623/s...grossary-e.htm

http://www.geocities.jp/emiri_0623/simoun02-e1.htm

Okay, I rivise that grossary page 's spell mistake " Shivura" to "Sibylla" .

Yes ,orijinally latin, greece female prophet....

Last edited by Yui from Okinawa; 2006-04-17 at 09:48.
Yui from Okinawa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-04-17, 12:14   Link #128
Kaoru Chujo
Yuuki Aoi

Sibylla. Tempuspatium. Neviril. Not that anything else is wrong, just that these seem to be the best English versions. Pardon me, but I have to say it feels great to work together with everyone on this.
YUUKI Aoi 悠木碧. b92.03.27 (age 29). 2008 Kurenai (Murasaki). 2009 Yumeiro Pâtissière (Ichigo), Kiruminzuu (Riko), Yutori-chan (Yutori-chan). 2010 Vampire Bund (Mina Tepeş), Shiki (Sunako), Samurai Girls (Juubee), Pokémon: Black and White (Iris). 2011 Madoka Magica (Madoka), Gosick (Victorique), A-Channel (Tooru). 2012 Symphogear (Hibiki). 2014 Pilot's Love Song (Claire/Nina), Nanatsu no Taizai (Diane). 2015 Owari no Seraph (Krul Tepes), Rokka no Yuusha (Fremy). 2016 Boku no Hero Academia (Tsuyu, Froppy). 2017 Kino no Tabi (Kino). 2021 Kumo desu ga (watashi), Kaizoku Oujo (Karin), Heike Monogatari (Biwa), etc., etc. Total of 513 roles in anime and games.

Last edited by Kaoru Chujo; 2006-04-17 at 13:55.
Kaoru Chujo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-04-17, 19:35   Link #129
Timeless Enigma
Tsushima Masaki

While the shoujo-ai/yuri factor is not a reason I watch an anime (quite honestly it usually is one of the reasons I don't watch a show), this series seems to hold promise right from episode one. Sure I didn't understand what the hell all the jargon meant but I can tell if they don't screw it up this can be a really strong show.

And now I found an anime that I can take part in! I was thinking I'd be on vacation after Mai-Otome. Hopefully this time around I can pour more effort into cleaning up and standardizing what the viewers will see.
Old 2006-04-17, 19:42   Link #130
Starks
I see what you did there!
*Scanlator

Send a message via AIM to Starks
Quote:
Originally Posted by Timeless Enigma
While the shoujo-ai/yuri factor is not a reason I watch an anime (quite honestly it usually is one of the reasons I don't watch a show), this series seems to hold promise right from episode one. Sure I didn't understand what the hell all the jargon meant but I can tell if they don't screw it up this can be a really strong show.

And now I found an anime that I can take part in! I was thinking I'd be on vacation after Mai-Otome. Hopefully this time around I can pour more effort into cleaning up and standardizing what the viewers will see.
I thought I was gonna be done after Otome... So much for that plan.
Old 2006-04-17, 21:22   Link #131
MrProphet
The Commissar Vanishes

Send a message via ICQ to MrProphet
Episode 3 aired.

It was interesting in the fact that it seems like they've still haven't started going toward the main plot.

Music is lovely, as always. I loved the chanson in the beginning and the cello playing in the middle part (with Pal and Nevreel) and the tango in the end was quite exquisite as well. It seems like this show has a special place in its heart for tango, which I appreciate, since tango music seems to be quite rare in anime (not set in Western locales).

But, as much as I like the music and watercolor background art, it seemed like they've spent 3 epsiodes mostly establishing the characters and the intricate world, instead of focusing on any particular plot. Simoun seems to be fully about character relationships, which are being built up in a very precise manner, as if this show is going to be all about character relationships (as opposed to some plot or quest). Episode 3 had some hints of future things to come, but it was, once again, focused on characters.

Spoiler:

All in all, a good episode that further established several characters, but didn't really try to show us any real plot. Unless the plot is all about Simoun Sybillas training and stuff (which would be bad. It didn't work in Stellvia, it won't work now!)...

There were very nicely done scenes, like the one between Pal and Nevreel (Nevreel's hair looked great, blowing like that) and the aerodynamic dancing was beautiful, but it all seemed like great individual parts that aren't really coming together in one single mechanism.

The same was true about episode 2, by the way. Great scenes (the Fountain especially), but nothing really puting those scenes in greater context.

I hope this show starts moving forward soon. Because, as much as I appreciate thought-through character building, this could become tedious quite soon.

Spoiler:
MrProphet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-04-18, 00:25   Link #132
Kaoru Chujo
Yuuki Aoi

episode 3 raw

I think the show is about Neviril's heart. And the hearts of the other Simoun Sibylla. Character and relationships. There will be war, and change, but the hearts are the heart. And my heart is in pain. Neviril's eyes and expression and her walking so regally with her attendants.... Sugoi.

So I feel no lack of plot yet, even though not much is outwardly happening. The way Aaeru and Morinasu relate to each other and to Neviril is interesting. I see competition, but I don't see enmity. The strange straight-aheadness of Aaeru (through her seiyuu Niino Michi) is unsettling but interesting. I really wouldn't call it genkiness. There are times when Aaeru is far from genki, but is still herself. There's something else happening there, but I can't define it. Niino-san said in an interview on the official site that what she liked best about Aaeru was her way of dealing with problems by going straight ahead. She said it made her think that women in the future will be so strong.

I can't get a read on Morinasu yet , except for her interesting statement...
Spoiler:
Aaeru and Morinasu are the new breed, I guess, each in her way.

The background music is definitely wonderful, odd as it often seems (tango?).

And I now realize that the skimpy outfits are also an important part of the show. We actuallly got our first direct hits of yuri (as opposed to kissing to make the Simoun go)...
Spoiler:
Maybe this episode wasn't quite as thrilling as the previous two, but I will certainly be watching it again (and again).
YUUKI Aoi 悠木碧. b92.03.27 (age 29). 2008 Kurenai (Murasaki). 2009 Yumeiro Pâtissière (Ichigo), Kiruminzuu (Riko), Yutori-chan (Yutori-chan). 2010 Vampire Bund (Mina Tepeş), Shiki (Sunako), Samurai Girls (Juubee), Pokémon: Black and White (Iris). 2011 Madoka Magica (Madoka), Gosick (Victorique), A-Channel (Tooru). 2012 Symphogear (Hibiki). 2014 Pilot's Love Song (Claire/Nina), Nanatsu no Taizai (Diane). 2015 Owari no Seraph (Krul Tepes), Rokka no Yuusha (Fremy). 2016 Boku no Hero Academia (Tsuyu, Froppy). 2017 Kino no Tabi (Kino). 2021 Kumo desu ga (watashi), Kaizoku Oujo (Karin), Heike Monogatari (Biwa), etc., etc. Total of 513 roles in anime and games.
Old 2006-04-18, 07:43   Link #133
Simon
気持ち悪い

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrProphet
I hope this show starts moving forward soon. Because, as much as I appreciate thought-through character building, this could become tedious quite soon.
Spoiler:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaoru Chujo
I think the show is about Neviril's heart. And the hearts of the other Simoun Sibylla. Character and relationships. There will be war, and change, but the hearts are the heart. And my heart is in pain. Neviril's eyes and expression and her walking so regally with her attendants.... Sugoi.
Before the series aired I was a little put off by Neviril's eyes, because they seemed so expressionless (almost giving her the look of an alabaster doll). How wrong I was... Watching closely I'm starting to see all sorts of subtle emotions in them, and hints that the emotions behind the eyes are anything but subtle. I wonder how much of the pain Neviril seems to carry within her is due to Amuria, and how much is a burden that comes with being Sybilla Aurea?

Quote:
Pardon me, but I have to say it feels great to work together with everyone on this.
I'd like to second this - I'm fairly new to watching fansubs, but this anime in particular seems to be generating a great sense of community among its fans. My feeling is it's a series which will reward dedication and attention to detail, so I'm looking forward to keeping my side of the bargain
Old 2006-04-18, 08:29   Link #134
Futaba-chan
Seigi no Mikata

Send a message via AIM to Futaba-chan Send a message via Yahoo to Futaba-chan
Quote:
Sibylla. Tempuspatium. Neviril. Not that anything else is wrong, just that these seem to be the best English versions.
Do we also agree on "Simulacrum", "Regina", "Sagitta", "Auriga", "Arcus Prima", and "Sibylla Aurea?" And is it "helical motor," or is "motoris" intentionally mangled because it's ancient technology?

What do people think about "Call" vs. "Core" vs. "Chor?" All three of those make sense. The fansub of episode 1 uses "Call", which makes sense in a gathering-of-heroes-to-defend-the-frontier sort of way. I've seen several other fans use "Core", which makes sense for stressing a squadron made up of nakama, but "Chor" is especially intriguing, as it suggests an emphasis on the Sibylla being priestesses.

And what of "Aeru" vs. "Auer" vs. "Arel" vs. "Aael" vs. any of a hundred other combinations? Or "Paraied" vs. "Paraiette?"

Quote:
Pardon me, but I have to say it feels great to work together with everyone on this.
I'm glad that this series is developing a good base of fans -- it both deserves and needs it. I'm also very glad for Yui's fan site....
Futaba-chan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-04-18, 10:59   Link #135
MrProphet
The Commissar Vanishes

Quote:
I think the show is about Neviril's heart.
That's the same as saying "it's about nothing". Character devolpment should happen though both character intercation (we get a lot of that) and though plot development (we get nothing). So, as it is, Simoun has been developing rather one-sidedly.

Perhaps Simon is correct and we'll get to something soon...

As for the terms, here is what I prefer:

Tempest Core. A core is a military unit (a big one, though). It makes sense, since Simouns form a military unit. "Chor" is also possible (being Greek for "choir"), but it's questionable, at best.

Helical motoris or Helico motoris. From greek "helico" - helix/spiral (same root as "helicopter") and "helical" being an adjective or "helix".

Aael, Palaiette. I hate it when names ending with kana "-ru" stay that way, when it's obvious that it's a closed "-r" or "-l" ending. She could also be "Aer", if we continue the Greek/Latin tradition ("aer" being air).

I am also pretty sure that "Nevreel" is not "Neviril". She could be "Nebreel" or "Nebrile", but definitely not with a "-vi-" in the middle.
Old 2006-04-18, 11:45   Link #136
Matrim

Quote:
But, as much as I like the music and watercolor background art, it seemed like they've spent 3 epsiodes mostly establishing the characters and the intricate world, instead of focusing on any particular plot. Simoun seems to be fully about character relationships, which are being built up in a very precise manner, as if this show is going to be all about character relationships (as opposed to some plot or quest).
That would be more than fine by me. If I am to guess I would venture that the plot would be based about revealing what Tempus Spatium really is little by little with all the consequences that will have for the world. But having a few setup episodes after an actiоn full first episode is not exactly uncommon, although I can't think of many examples right now apart from Madlax. I think we are going to see lots of fighting real soon. And I actually like not knowing much where the show is heading to.

Quote:
What do people think about "Call" vs. "Core" vs. "Chor?
Well, "Core" makes most sense to me.

Spoiler:

Spoiler:

Quote:
Before the series aired I was a little put off by Neviril's eyes, because they seemed so expressionless (almost giving her the look of an alabaster doll). How wrong I was... Watching closely I'm starting to see all sorts of subtle emotions in them, and hints that the emotions behind the eyes are anything but subtle.
Yes, you have been quite wrong about Neville's (we really need to decide on the spelling of the names ) eyes. Actually all of the characters have quite expressive eyes.

I like Rimone more and more. She is the youngest but she is always calm and confident. I just wish she would speak more.

Anyway, due to my very much insufficient language knowledge I got confused - what is the role of the tube with no gravity or whatever it was in which they floated? Some kind of training? I hope it's not just an excuse to show the girls in skimpy outfits.

Old 2006-04-18, 11:50   Link #137
MrProphet
The Commissar Vanishes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matrim
Anyway, due to my very much insufficient language knowledge I got confused - what is the role of the tube with no gravity or whatever it was in which they floated? Some kind of training? I hope it's not just an excuse to show the girls in skimpy outfits.
It's an aerodynamic tube. Air blows upwards in a powerful manner, which allows gliders to float in it as it they are many kilometres high in the sky.

I presume it's for training. To get the Simoun Sybillas "feel" the flow of air and manipulate the Simoun's movement patterns better.
Old 2006-04-18, 14:51   Link #138
vuori
The red fish is wisdom

I rarely re-watch anything, but I watched episodes 1 and 2 several times. Unfortunately, episode 3 didn't quite make the same impression, though it had its moments. It seemed emptier, somehow.

The official site mentions that the writer changed for episode 3. 1-2 were written by Oyamada Fukyoushi (listed as the author of the "original work", whatever that is in this case), 3 was written by the director, Nishimura Junji. Oyamada Fukyoushi also wrote some episodes of Samurai Deeper Kyo.
vuori is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-04-18, 15:25   Link #139
Kaoru Chujo
Yuuki Aoi

I don't think saying the show is about Neviril's heart is "the same as saying it's about nothing." Everything in the show is telling us about people's feelings. We learn about Neviril's heart in various ways, especially from her words and actions in reaction to other people and to the war and the death of her partner, as well as from the words and actions of others.

Sure there will be a plot -- in fact there already is, with several elements in play: the war, the death of Neviril's partner and her reaction to it, the competition between people to be her new partner, her choice to continue or to go to the pool, etc. It's just that the plot isn't moving that fast. Nor need it do, in my opinion, as long as the stories of the heart keep unfolding. This is josei science fiction. The comic is in a yuri magazine. Studies apparently show that when men have control of a TV remote, they tend to stop on action; and when women do, they stop on faces talking to each other.

In my translation of the glossary and also on Yui's page there is a bit of information about the Maaju Pool (the long hole in the ship), which is indeed a training facility. They wear things on their legs that show the patterns they make, so they can train for Ri Maajon. Maybe we should call the Maaju Pool the "Mage Pool" -- except that that obscures its relation to Ri Maajon (or however we should spell that). I must admit that the thing doesn't make physical sense to me, but I accept it as part of the story.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Futaba
Do we also agree on "Simulacrum", "Regina", "Sagitta", "Auriga", "Arcus Prima", and "Sibylla Aurea...?"
I agree with all those, and with Neviril (as on Yui's site, and as a direct transliteration from the official site with the ending -ru changed to -l). The official site has ネィリル , which transliterates to Neviriru. They might have been thinking Nevreel, but Neviril is a more direct transliteration, and more reminiscent of Tolkien, which I think they might have been thinking of. I think Helical Motoris works, too. MrProphet's suggestion of Aer (or maybe Aaer?) for Aaeru seems good to me. She's a creature of the air. Paraietta seems okay as-is.

My transliteration of the glossary was done fairly literally, to give us a base to work from that wasn't corrupted by too many of my own opinions. But I also think it's reasonable to honor the spellings/pronunciations the staff put on the official site. If we can't be fairly sure about what foreign word ending was intended, I prefer leaving spellings literal to the Japanese.

I think "corps" (that's how you spell it, I think, not "core") is what's intended by "kor". As in Army Air Corps, etc. Otherwise, I don't know what it would come from and would leave it as "kor" or "cor". I think "call" makes sense, but I have no reason to think that was intended, whereas "corps" is pretty exact, referring to a military body -- except for the size of the body. "Corps Tempest" certainly has the firepower of a corps.

Or we can just use whatever the fansubbers decide on, for the sake of consistency.

I agree with Matrim about wanting to see/hear more of Rimone. She's played by Noto Mamiko (as was the first enemy pilot). She seemed very confident and capable in the Mage Pool. And I loved her reaction of disgusted dignity when Furoe finally learned she was a Sibylla.

Last edited by Kaoru Chujo; 2006-04-18 at 15:45.
Old 2006-04-18, 15:56   Link #140
MrProphet
The Commissar Vanishes

BluWacky (I could be mistaken) had a good suggestion for RIMAAJON, so I credit it to him: Re-emersion.

MAAJU PUURU - Merge Pool?

Tags
drama, science fiction, yuri