AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired A-L > Haruhi Suzumiya

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2007-03-16, 11:14   Link #201
Asrialys

How can anyone judge the dub so early? We've only heard Haruhi's eccentric side on the current trailer and the other voices from the amateur video in episode 00...?
Old 2007-03-16, 13:55   Link #202
Mirrinus
Bemused Scholar

You know, for Haruhi's introduction scene, that "exuberant enthusiasm" just doesn't seem to fit...wasn't she more along the lines of "bored, disillusioned, and upset" in the original, and only changed after she speaks with Kyon?
Old 2007-03-16, 14:15   Link #203
Asrialys

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mirrinus View Post
You know, for Haruhi's introduction scene, that "exuberant enthusiasm" just doesn't seem to fit...wasn't she more along the lines of "bored, disillusioned, and upset" in the original, and only changed after she speaks with Kyon?
I got no enthusiasm from that. More like an announcement...Maybe you're thinking of a different scene? I can remember one where she sounded "bored, disillusioned, and upset" but I do not remember what episode or when it happened. It was the sound clip they used for voting for Haruhi's English voice.
Old 2007-03-16, 14:40   Link #204
dkellis
illusion control
*Author

Send a message via ICQ to dkellis Send a message via AIM to dkellis Send a message via MSN to dkellis
Quote:
Originally Posted by darkchibi07 View Post
English trailer is out!

http://asosbrigade.com/
That has to be one of the most spoilery trailers I've ever seen.

I mean, even considering the time-jumping of the aired order, this trailer just tosses out several major spoilers from the series, the most notable of which is Ryouko's true identity. Even if it's episode four in chronological order, it's still a major plot revelation.

I can only imagine that they're not expecting anyone who hasn't seen the series to jump on the little details and remember them by the time the DVD comes out.

As for the dub, there's really only Haruhi's lines to judge from, and it's what I consider to be typical dub. Which isn't really that good.

EDIT: To clarify, what I've noticed in a lot of dubs is for the VAs to enunciate every word clearly and distinctly, and it ends up feeling like they're reading off a script which they've rehearsed in isolation, but not in context. And nothing kills a dub as thoroughly, whether English or original Japanese, than the VAs sounding like they're acting in a studio, rather than invisibly blending in with the characters.
Old 2007-03-16, 14:52   Link #205
Danny_river
Kanon Fotter!

And yet another great seires has been pretty much ruined by horrible dubbing.
Old 2007-03-16, 15:02   Link #206
cmage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danny_river View Post
And yet another great seires has been pretty much ruined by horrible dubbing.
If you don't like dubs, don't watch them, and don't go in threads for discussion of them just to bash them. You haven't even seen enough to form much of an opinion.
Old 2007-03-16, 15:05   Link #207
Danny_river
Kanon Fotter!

sorry. I didn't mean it to come out that way.

There are plenty of good dubbes out there. Figure 17, Stelliva, and Chobits to name a few. And when they are good i love to watch them!

But there have been many great series that have been horriblely dubbed. That is a fact. Love Hina, Gundam Seed, Stratoz 4, and now Haruhi.

Im just stating a fact. This isn't my opinion entorely.
Old 2007-03-16, 15:08   Link #208
Dagger
Nitro+ fan

I actually don't think that the trailer is overly spoilery. All it really reveals to someone who knows nothing of the show is that some weird shit is going down, which is a necessary hook for people who are going to be dropping money on this, instead of just trying it out without any committment. A person who knows nothing about the story is not going to notice & remember Ryoko from a couple of split second scenes. It's one of those ironic spoilers that first time viewers won't be inclined to notice unless they're warned about it.

ETA: Danny_river, what's a good dub and what's a bad dub cannot be distilled to "fact." I didn't like any of the dubs you named as "good," for one thing. Keep in mind that your opinion is only one among many.
Old 2007-03-16, 15:31   Link #209
Kensuke

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magus IX View Post
I actually don't think that the trailer is overly spoilery. All it really reveals to someone who knows nothing of the show is that some weird shit is going down, which is a necessary hook for people who are going to be dropping money on this, instead of just trying it out without any committment.
I have to agree with that, they had to show some scenes that show that this series is not about just school life/comedy. And it didn't reveal anything about the characters true identities. I guess a person who hasn't seen this series is quite confused (what-the-heck-is-going-on factor), and even more after first episode (broadcast order).
Old 2007-03-30, 15:15   Link #210
Twisted Reality
Is Neither Goth Nor Emo

I watched the trailer, and I find it hard to like the dubbing. I dunno if it's because the English actors will have their performance sabotaged by my constant comparison with the Japanese ones or if it's simply horrid.

Anyway, my definition of an ideal English dub would be something like Cowboy Bebop, where I actually vastly preferred the English to the Japanese. I figure it's partially because most of the archetypes just sells better with English voice actors, being that Cowboy Bebop has a rather broadly...ethnic...cast. Perhaps the cast wast just well-picked.

Somehow, Haruhi didn't sound appropriately manic and hyperactive. It also seems to be missing that sort of...I don't know...snottiness? She also seems to have an edge to her voice that just seems a bit mature for Haruhi.

Kyon doesn't really sound like a deadpan snarker. I remember that line he gives in the stairwell in Japanese and he just bleeds supreme irritation, as if he doesn't want to be bothered with her antics. The English actor is just..."What do you need help with?"...more curious than annoyed.

Mikuru sounds okay, but it's hard to say much else about her English counterpart.

Last edited by Twisted Reality; 2007-03-30 at 15:34.
Old 2007-04-01, 10:53   Link #211
quigonkenny
Sav'aaq!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twisted Reality View Post
I watched the trailer, and I find it hard to like the dubbing. I dunno if it's because the English actors will have their performance sabotaged by my constant comparison with the Japanese ones or if it's simply horrid.

Anyway, my definition of an ideal English dub would be something like Cowboy Bebop, where I actually vastly preferred the English to the Japanese. I figure it's partially because most of the archetypes just sells better with English voice actors, being that Cowboy Bebop has a rather broadly...ethnic...cast. Perhaps the cast wast just well-picked.

Somehow, Haruhi didn't sound appropriately manic and hyperactive. It also seems to be missing that sort of...I don't know...snottiness? She also seems to have an edge to her voice that just seems a bit mature for Haruhi.

Kyon doesn't really sound like a deadpan snarker. I remember that line he gives in the stairwell in Japanese and he just bleeds supreme irritation, as if he doesn't want to be bothered with her antics. The English actor is just..."What do you need help with?"...more curious than annoyed.

Mikuru sounds okay, but it's hard to say much else about her English counterpart.
I think that the shows that have a distinctly American or British feel (like Cowboy Bebop, Hellsing) tend to have better dubs overall, I guess because it's easier to relate the voices to the actions on screen. Shows that have a definite Japanese feel to them (especially high school and junior high shows) tend to work best in the original Japanese, as the English voices (epsecially in the display of emotion) tend to be a bit jarring in certain settings. Haruhi, while set in a Japanese high school, may fare a bit better, though, as there is a definite "snarky British humour" feel to the whole thing (moreso in the books, but in the series also) that wouldn't feel out of place in a Douglas Adams or Harry Potter adaptation.

It's still too early to tell until we have at least an entire episode to look at, to get an adequate amount of context.
Old 2007-04-06, 07:02   Link #212
darkchibi07

Send a message via AIM to darkchibi07 Send a message via MSN to darkchibi07
Is anyone going to Sakura-con today?

Quote:
April 5, 2007 0200 PDT
We are travelling to Sakuracon in Seattle, Washington this weekend! First up is the world premiere of The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya episode 00 and episode 1 english dub at the Haruhi panel on Friday, April 6, 2007 at 2pm. Ken Iyadomi, CEO and President, as well as Robert Napton, Director of Sales/Marketing, both of Bandai Entertainment will be attending. On Saturday at 4pm a Bandai Entertainment panel has been scheduled. See you in Seattle!
Old 2007-04-06, 07:45   Link #213
cmage

I'm rather hoping for a badly-recorded version to show up on YouTube or something. ...Not that it's likely.
Old 2007-04-06, 12:56   Link #214
Kai1
watashi wa L desu~

I guess it is close to impossible to find an english cast that's able to deliver the real feeling of the original characters/cast. They at least gave it a good effort. But somehow the tsundere part of haruhi's voice is lacking?
Speaking of which: are there any good english tsundere voice-dubs?

Admittedly, I'm also a subs-fan and generally am not into dubs. But dubs are for a different target audience and fanbase. They will appreciate it.
Old 2007-04-06, 17:24   Link #215
cmage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kai1 View Post
I guess it is close to impossible to find an english cast that's able to deliver the real feeling of the original characters/cast. They at least gave it a good effort. But somehow the tsundere part of haruhi's voice is lacking?

Admittedly, I'm also a subs-fan and generally am not into dubs. But dubs are for a different target audience and fanbase. They will appreciate it.
It's a little unreasonable to expect the English VAs to get across the exact same emotions, mannerisms, etc. as the Japanese ones. They're voicing their own takes on the characters, so of course they'll be at least a little different. I dunno how much we can judge the dub until we can see the full episodes, though.
Old 2007-04-06, 20:10   Link #216
Asrialys

Quote:
Shakugan no Shana has a pretty good dub. But since you're not really into dubs, you may think otherwise...
Old 2007-04-16, 18:05   Link #217
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Quote:

If you keep going back to the same well and it wasn't very wet to begin with... well. There are amazingly good radio actors and voice actors out there. They just aren't in the pools that US distribution companies keep returning to. In some defense.... I sometimes wonder if the problem doesn't actually reside in the casting executive's brains (lazy, must golf..... ah go with same people I went with before, the audience doesn't really notice anyway).
The comment above about it sounding like someone is just reading a script nails my problem with many productions a bit. I just don't believe them (compare with a typical voice-over work in a Pixar film for example... yes, bigger budget, but a lot of talent doesn't cost huge $$$).
Old 2007-04-17, 00:16   Link #218
Tsukuyomi
Crazed Obsessive Otaku

I think this dubbing will be great, they really do have an all star team of voice actors --- i have to be honest, it's not often that you hear a good english dub... sometimes, you think, "What the hell did they do?" some of us actually care who the voice actors are! like some of you "guys" into the female voice actors! only to have your imagine destroyed when you find out who the english voice actor for that character is! lol i.e. = Naruto (young girl to old woman) I'm sure that ruined the imagine for some of you people.

Personally I like the line up of voice actors set up for the dubbing! I'm only worried about Koizumi's dubbing.... I didn't really feel the character when Johnny YONG BOSCH played "Kuhn" .hack//GU - because he plays his character more like badasses than pretty boys... and I think Kuhn and Itsuki are supposed to sound like pretty boys... xD I mean when you look at his japanese counter part for the voice actor... and then you look at the english dubber.... which one do you think fits the character? lol

But you know! you've guys seen the video (if not you should) of the dubbing process! Just look at how hard they were working Crispin!.. I think that guy has done many good transitions of japanese to english dubs i.e. Slayer's Zelgadis, Chobit's Hideki, and so on-- of course that's just my opinion... sometimes I think he sounds better than japanese version (but i won't say that for this one, I think Sugita Tomokazu was great) the slice of life part of the anime really settle in with his voice acting... and we'll seen next month when the first dvd comes out!!!!!!

(don't you just hate it when people post long posts you aren't even gonna read? and wonder why they never read yours?)
Old 2007-04-17, 10:20   Link #219
Jaden

SHnY is hard to dub well, the original VAs did such an awesome job with Kyon's humorous narration, Mikuru's moe-voice, and Haruhi's moodswitchery...and what the hell are they gonna do about Live a live?
Old 2007-04-17, 12:20   Link #220
Asrialys

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaden View Post
SHnY is hard to dub well, the original VAs did such an awesome job with Kyon's humorous narration, Mikuru's moe-voice, and Haruhi's moodswitchery...and what the hell are they gonna do about Live a live?
It was already decided a while ago that the singing will be in its original Japanese.