AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired M-Z > Valkyria Chronicles

Notices

Old 2009-04-14, 09:13   Link #861
Shiroth
Beautiful fighter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by spawnofthejudge View Post
Care to elaborate on your fears? I only fear that they grossly mishandle her, as she could be an interesting exploration of quite a few topics.
Sure. I'll send you a pm with my thoughts.
Old 2009-04-14, 09:35   Link #862
Tak
Catholic = Cat addiction?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shiroth View Post
Yep, my fears are coming true. What they're doing with Susie is working.
I can see that. For one thing, they are making her not only an inept coward, but now a moron.

- Tak

Remember, the toes you step on today may be connected to the @ss you have to kiss tomorrow.
Tak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-04-14, 11:00   Link #863
JagdPanther
WE ARE.... PENN STATE....

Send a message via AIM to JagdPanther
Quote:
That might just be the best the Bruhl town watch can afford.
We'll see, but I am thinking that the almost S-D style of weapons in the game are getting toned down for the anime. I'm okay with that as a change; I think the size of the weapons actually added some charm to the game but for the anime I'll accept it.
Quote:
I never used her in the game because of her, well, uselessness. But her character wasn't too bad. Her story was even interesting. Here.... yeah. She's just so out of place.

Was she popular in Japan or something? Out of all recruitables to pick, they pick her. Unless they're trying to make some sort of commentary...

Quote:
This is an interesting point of view. I wish he'd been coherent enough to explain himself, but he'll... yeah.
I think he's just so straight-forward in a round-a-bout fashion... (because that makes perfect sense).
Quote:
I'm reserving judgement until after *merf*I feel like they served a specific purpose. I don't see them returning.
They did serve a purpose; I just didn't like how they were made out to be soooo young. The way your typical anime is animated I'd say those characters were maybe 10 or 11.

Avatar v. 37.0: Fighter Squadron 31. The VF-31 "Tomcatters."
JagdPanther is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-04-14, 11:06   Link #864
Tak

Quote:
Originally Posted by JagdPanther View Post
Was she popular in Japan or something? Out of all recruitables to pick, they pick her. Unless they're trying to make some sort of commentary...
Never had that impression. Hardly ever seen a fan art of her (plenty of Eddy, Alicia & Marina, though).

Of course, what would an anime be without some sort of a clueless, comedic walking ditz.

- Tak

Remember, the toes you step on today may be connected to the @ss you have to kiss tomorrow.
Old 2009-04-14, 11:11   Link #865
spawnofthejudge
Explodes when thrown
*IT Support

Quote:
Was she popular in Japan or something?
Doesn't that equate to "is she cute?" (Undeniably: Yes)

Quote:
I think he's just so straight-forward in a round-a-bout fashion... (because that makes perfect sense).
At least you realize you're being the same way

Quote:
They did serve a purpose; I just didn't like how they were made out to be soooo young. The way your typical anime is animated I'd say those characters were maybe 10 or 11.
I meant that I think that their specific purpose is now gone. And I agree with you, FWIW.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tak View Post
Never had that impression. Hardly ever seen a fan art of her (plenty of Edy, Alicia & Marina, though).

Of course, what would an anime be without some sort of a clueless, comedic walking ditz.

- Tak
I can see two obvious uses for [Susie] and several subtle ones. The other one... I'd rather not contemplate.

And Edy written as Eddy is far far too weird for me to let go.
Old 2009-04-14, 12:21   Link #866
JagdPanther

Quote:
Doesn't that equate to "is she cute?" (Undeniably: Yes)
If I weren't watching an anime with a strong military theme, yes. She is cute. But very out of place for this anime, especially when we're getting the sense that this could be slightly more serious than the game.

Old 2009-04-14, 12:23   Link #867
Shiroth
Beautiful fighter.

Quote:
If I weren't watching an anime with a strong military theme, yes. She is cute. But very out of place for this anime, especially when we're getting the sense that this could be slightly more serious than the game.
& that's why she is in this. She's portrayed as a person who doesn't like war, or killing people. The game did that a tiny bit, and the anime is making up for that, as we've seen in the first two episodes.

I've already said how i'm going to dislike how everyone is going to hate on her because of this, though it's only expected.
Old 2009-04-14, 13:22   Link #868
Lucky
Bored old member

Quote:
If you actually lived in a country with general conscription (Switzerland, Finland) and done your army time, you'd know that since essentially everyone able is required to go through basic army training, you get a lot of very different people in there. Even people who lived very sheltered lives get conscripted, and they tend to sometimes be a bit like Susie is portrayed - fragile and scared. On the other hand you have children of even hardened criminals and essentially kids who grew on streets with their parents not really caring for them (kids of junkie parents for example). And since you are conscripted en masse, you don't get to pick who you live in the same room with .

Essentially it teaches you how to work with whatever people you get to be with very well - perhaps the most valuable lesson I learned from my time in the army. Therefore while Susie is certainly a bit over the top with consistent fainting, she isn't really unrealistic character to have in general conscription army per se.
Lucky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-04-14, 13:28   Link #869
alu546
y prime

Send a message via AIM to alu546
I dont hate her. But, there is a chance she dies, because those that have bothered with the game know that you cant predict who lives and dies in squad 7. So the haters can cling to that hope.

But she is a human being like me and you, and she is cute, out of place for war? Yes, but thats the point.

If she were real, would you hit that? I would
alu546 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-04-14, 13:43   Link #870
Tak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky View Post
If you actually lived in a country with general conscription (Switzerland, Finland) and done your army time, you'd know that since essentially everyone able is required to go through basic army training *SNIP*
No kidding. There are people enrolled in mandatory military training that just should-not-be-there!

Quote:
Originally Posted by alu546 View Post
If she were real, would you hit that? I would
No, not really, she looks like she is more trouble than its worth. Likewise, I would not touch psycho-bitch-on-the-other-side with a thousand feet pole.

On the other hand, I would hit Marina.

- Tak

Old 2009-04-14, 13:45   Link #871
Ashlotte
Clockwork

The absolute only thing that annoys me about her is the fainting...I'm all for cute girls with ojou-sama hair standing around being useless just stop flipping fainting all the time gah.

Ah as for episode 2...Still not really getting into these characters yet honestly. I'm hoping I'll be able to find some enjoyable ones next episode as it looks to greatly expand the cast.

In any case the Tank fights were fun although the small amount of infantry action was completely underwhelming in comparison...

No matter what enemy. No matter what ally. Mowing everything down with maximum destructive power.

That is...

"The White Devil of the Administration Bureau"
Ashlotte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-04-14, 13:47   Link #872
Nikkan

Quick question, will VC get its own sub-forum?

Also, is it some Vocaloid who sings the ending? really sounds like it
Nikkan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-04-14, 13:55   Link #873
alu546
y prime

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tak View Post
No kidding. There are people enrolled in mandatory military training that just should-not-be-there!

No, not really, she looks like she is more trouble than its worth. Likewise, I would not touch psycho-bitch-on-the-other-side with a thousand feet pole.

On the other hand, I would hit Marina.

- Tak
Well, psycho bitch wasnt all that bad, but I sure as hell wouldnt be able to initiate anything with her, and Susie is definately not a canidate for a one night stand i suppose.
Old 2009-04-14, 14:05   Link #874
kujoe
from head to heel

Quote:
Originally Posted by alu546 View Post
I dont hate her. But, there is a chance she dies, because those that have bothered with the game know that you cant predict who lives and dies in squad 7. So the haters can cling to that hope.
Wait, are you saying what I think you're saying?

Shiroth, was your PM to spawnofthejudge about this too?

No way! What the hell for?
kujoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-04-14, 14:15   Link #875
JagdPanther

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky View Post
If you actually lived in a country with general conscription (Switzerland, Finland) and done your army time, you'd know that since essentially everyone able is required to go through basic army training, you get a lot of very different people in there. Even people who lived very sheltered lives get conscripted, and they tend to sometimes be a bit like Susie is portrayed - fragile and scared. On the other hand you have children of even hardened criminals and essentially kids who grew on streets with their parents not really caring for them (kids of junkie parents for example). And since you are conscripted en masse, you don't get to pick who you live in the same room with .

Essentially it teaches you how to work with whatever people you get to be with very well - perhaps the most valuable lesson I learned from my time in the army. Therefore while Susie is certainly a bit over the top with consistent fainting, she isn't really unrealistic character to have in general conscription army per se.
The town watch is voluntary.

In Gallia you receive military training in school but you're not impressed into your town watch.

Old 2009-04-14, 14:15   Link #876
alu546
y prime

Quote:
Originally Posted by kujoe View Post
Wait, are you saying what I think you're saying?

Im saying just that, the game only predetermined a few deaths, the others could live or die based on how well you played the game. Translated to anime this means the animators can do whatever they want, there are no guarantees that a character you may like willl see the end of this series.
Old 2009-04-14, 14:16   Link #877
Shiroth
Beautiful fighter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kujoe View Post

Nope. It had nothing to do with a character's death.
Old 2009-04-14, 14:27   Link #878
Father Hentai

Just hopped into this thread again after seeing VC

did I miss something relevant? Just seen that Tak compares Gallian Military with the Swiss Military doctrines.

Something more interesting?
Old 2009-04-14, 14:30   Link #879
Tak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Father Hentai View Post
Just hopped into this thread again after seeing VC

did I miss something relevant? Just seen that Tak compares Gallian Military with the Swiss Military doctrines.

Something more interesting?
Previous pages, we were hopping on the Edelweiss = King Tiger bandwagon.

Then again, knowing me... I think its not too much of a surprise to you.

- Tak

Old 2009-04-14, 14:48   Link #880
Father Hentai

Nope it isn't and I think I can stick with that comparison although speed and turret aren' t 1:1 to the King Tiger.

Tags
sega