AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Code Geass

Notices

Old 2008-04-09, 20:51   Link #21
Kusaja

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dann of Thursday View Post
Lelouch never cared about himself through all this and that hasn't changed yet. It has always been for Nunnally. He doesn't care about his own happiness at all.

Light was always planning on being a god of some sorts and killing anyone that objected to his ideas. This didn't start coming ou in full force until later though.
Lelouch is the kind of person who would likely give up whatever power he achieved once his objective was completed, one way or another, while Light's god complex pretty much guarantees that he'll want to stay on top until his death.
Kusaja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-04-09, 21:08   Link #22
Dann of Thursday
WHERE'S...MY...COW????

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kusaja View Post
Lelouch is the kind of person who would likely give up whatever power he achieved once his objective was completed, one way or another, while Light's god complex pretty much guarantees that he'll want to stay on top until his death.
Agreed. I am also doubtful that Lelouch would ever develop a god complex as well. He showed signs of it in 22, but that was all dispelled after the massacre.

"Nearly all men can stand adversity, if you want to test a man's character give him power." - Abraham Lincoln
Dann of Thursday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-04-09, 21:26   Link #23
Neki Ecko
Dancing with the Sky

Send a message via Yahoo to Neki Ecko
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRainbowConnection View Post
Lelouch did make the worst joke ever at the worst time ever, but that's kinda a bad example. One can argue that because he cares so much for her and her vision, he shot her out of mercy so that she didn't have to make it unravel with her own hands.

Yes, it was his fault, but he didn't really mean to do what he did, so it's at least a little more forgivable.
I totally agreed and beside he didnt really mean to do that. But he was a man and took responsible for his actions, by killing his first love. But that is the "Power of the King", you will have incredible power but you will be lonely for the rest of your life. He is not like Light at all, period. He doesnt have a god-complex and when everything is completed, he will move on and spend his time with his sister and his friends in peace.
Old 2008-04-09, 21:51   Link #24
Zu Ra
✖ ǝʇ ɯıqnɾl ☆

Lulu initially came off as power hungry clone of Lightu . But as the series progressed we came to know he is a multifaceted and a multilayered person . Lulu has made some mistakes but thats due to his inexperience than aggressiveness . Lulu is a very likeable character he has shades of Black and white . But overall a good character as he didnot need to start the revolution as he is royalty himself . If you take away his cocky attitude he is a deep caring person
Old 2008-04-09, 21:57   Link #25
noodlemeister
Nina must Die

Yeah, and also Light used his powers to oppress while Lelouch is using his powers to destroy the oppressors. A fundamental difference in my eyes.
noodlemeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-04-09, 22:23   Link #26
scifijimmy

I have to agree about Lelouch having noble intentions for recreating world order, but if he wants to earn the Black Knights trust after abandoning them in ep. 24 there are probably be some ground rules.
scifijimmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-04-09, 22:30   Link #27
Onizuka-GTO
Holy Beast ~Wuff!~
*Scanlator

Send a message via MSN to Onizuka-GTO
Quote:
Originally Posted by scifijimmy View Post
I have to agree about Lelouch having noble intentions for recreating world order, but if he wants to earn the Black Knights trust after abandoning them in ep. 24 there are probably be some ground rules.
like pizza for all? no wait! don't leave things half-done? don't let your siblings get kidnapped?

Old 2008-04-09, 22:32   Link #28
Dann of Thursday
WHERE'S...MY...COW????

Maybe be a bit more trusting and honest with his comrades?

"Nearly all men can stand adversity, if you want to test a man's character give him power." - Abraham Lincoln
Old 2008-04-09, 22:36   Link #29
scifijimmy

Yeah think you guys understand my perspective.
Old 2008-04-09, 22:42   Link #30
ashlay
the red string of fate

Quote:
Maybe be a bit more trusting and honest with his comrades?
that is the name of the game in season 2: learn to trust others instead of being a completely self sacrificing dummy.
ashlay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-04-09, 22:44   Link #31
Dann of Thursday
WHERE'S...MY...COW????

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashlay View Post
that is the name of the game in season 2: learn to trust others instead of being a completely self sacrificing dummy.
Yeah and without trust, the Order can't function as an effective organization as they were too dependent on Zero in season 1. Of course, trust can lead to a betrayal as well.

Old 2008-04-09, 22:44   Link #32
Voduar

To briefly touch on what seems to be the theme of the day, the Light/Lelouch comparison is mainly an issue of summary, in that when you boil down all the specifics of both stories to a paragraph, they do indeed come off as similar. I dislike comparing anything further because almost everything, from intended audience to even the art style indicate a huge difference between the stories.

As to Lelouch himself, he is indeed an interesting character, but a trait that is not yet being talked about is what seems to be his colossal hypocrisy. For example, he is clearly aware that his militaristic activities are influencing both innocent and neutral parties, but he only cares about collateral damage when it impacts someone he knows. I found this bothersome because it strikes me as incredibly wrong to treat SOME people like chess pieces, but to move others off the board because they are precious, or somesuch nonsense. It is particularly irksome when a character that is supposed to be as intelligent as he is seems to be blind to the fact that he allows personal attachment to so often cloud his judgement. Ironically, perhaps it proves that he is exactly the same man his father is, right down to the contempt for those that do not serve his needs.

Btw, the more I watch this series, the more I wonder if we aren't going to get a scene towards the end, with Lelouch's rebellion having nearly succeeded, and the emperor saying,"I always knew you would be the success, Lelouch. When you finish me, you will be the true leader."
Voduar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-04-09, 22:49   Link #33
ashlay
the red string of fate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Voduar View Post
To briefly touch on what seems to be the theme of the day, the Light/Lelouch comparison is mainly an issue of summary, in that when you boil down all the specifics of both stories to a paragraph, they do indeed come off as similar. I dislike comparing anything further because almost everything, from intended audience to even the art style indicate a huge difference between the stories.
It's not a matter of "boiling down to specifics" though, it's "boiling down to superficialities". >_>

If you boil down Lelouch and Light, they are at heart two completely different characters with extremely different motivations, goals, and methods. If you oversimplify to "High school student with fabulous hair who uses a magic power and kills people and wants to change the world", you've lost everything important about their characters, and are instead focusing on mere background settings. -_-
Old 2008-04-09, 22:50   Link #34
Dann of Thursday
WHERE'S...MY...COW????

Quote:
Btw, the more I watch this series, the more I wonder if we aren't going to get a scene towards the end, with Lelouch's rebellion having nearly succeeded, and the emperor saying,"I always knew you would be the success, Lelouch. When you finish me, you will be the true leader."
They don't seem to be giving Lelouch that sort of depressing ending from the staff comments and such a line would probably only come if the Emperor's plan all along was to have Lelouch succeed him which certainly does not seem to be the case.

Old 2008-04-09, 22:51   Link #35
scifijimmy

As creepy as Voduars last pargraph is I can't see him as visualizing this as off target. I hope though Lelouch will see through his act to the truth that for weak to have equal say everyone must have a voice. (i.e. Parliament, congress, etc.)
Old 2008-04-09, 22:56   Link #36
Voduar

Quote:
They don't seem to be giving Lelouch that sort of depressing ending from the staff comments and such a line would probably only come if the Emperor's plan all along was to have Lelouch succeed him which certainly does not seem to be the case.
Perhaps you are right, but that thought popped up when I realized that, from a certain perspective, Lelouch is doing exactly what his father wants, assuming that the Emperor legitimately believes in social darwinism to the degree he claims to. Such a person would, in fact, want his successor to tear down his own decadent empire, slaughter all but the greatest of his siblings, and rebuild everything a new with vigor and ruthlessness. Briefly, I was absolutely certain that this was the twist for the series. However, the entire multidimensional aspect of this series allows for a less dreary ending. Also, all of what I just said is predicated on the Emperor not being a hypocrite. If the son is any indication, he is quite stuffed with it.
Voduar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-04-09, 23:01   Link #37
KrimzonStriker

Your kidding right? What commander doesn't have to treat his subordinates as pawns sometimes, that's the name of the game in war, and its very understandable. The fact that he isn't completely immune, that he has people he cares about, proves his humanity or would you want him to be a cold, emotionless megalomaniac? Does the Emperor even HAVE anyone he cares about? What he does is logical, viewing his soldiers indifferently in order to make the decisions he needed to make, and even then he grew somewhat attached to the Order after seemingly likely to cut off ties with Ougi in episode 6 because they had grown too familiar and dependent on him. In any event, caring about people close to you and letting their involvement affect your usually sound and clear judgment is what makes Lelouch more understandable and human I think, compared to say Light who really didn't give a crap in the end and focused solely on his goals even after setting up the lose of his father. Lelouch on the other hand, does the exact opposite, giving up the world in order to rescue his sister, and that is what makes him the better man in my view.
KrimzonStriker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-04-09, 23:01   Link #38
Dann of Thursday
WHERE'S...MY...COW????

I'm pretty confident that Lelouch is going to be anything but his father by the end of the show. I used to see an ending like that being possible, but it doesn't seem as viable anymore.

I'm sure the Emperor enjoys it to some degree. He does have his plan to fufill still though.

Old 2008-04-09, 23:04   Link #39
ashlay
the red string of fate

Quote:
I'm pretty confident that Lelouch is going to be anything but his father by the end of the show. I used to see an ending like that being possible, but it doesn't seem as viable anymore.

I'm sure the Emperor enjoys it to some degree. He does have his plan to fufill still though.
yeah, Wakamoto's main plan has to do with this mental elevator/geass thing. Pitting Lelouch and Schneizel against each other would just be a side business of making sure there's a worthy successor.
Old 2008-04-09, 23:15   Link #40
allenephilim88

Quote:

As to Lelouch himself, he is indeed an interesting character, but a trait that is not yet being talked about is what seems to be his colossal hypocrisy. For example, he is clearly aware that his militaristic activities are influencing both innocent and neutral parties, but he only cares about collateral damage when it impacts someone he knows. I found this bothersome because it strikes me as incredibly wrong to treat SOME people like chess pieces, but to move others off the board because they are precious, or somesuch nonsense. It is particularly irksome when a character that is supposed to be as intelligent as he is seems to be blind to the fact that he allows personal attachment to so often cloud his judgement. Ironically, perhaps it proves that he is exactly the same man his father is, right down to the contempt for those that do not serve his needs.
I think its only natural to do that. People you care about arenīt as "expendable" as people you havenīt even met. Even a mastermind like him would end up giving preference to the people he cares about. Certainly its not fair and its one of Lelouch "flaws", but thats the only thing that separates him and every human being from a cold, calculating machine.

Still, I think that threating everyone like chess pieces is too much. Sometimes he seems to be thruly concerned about his subordinates, but then he suddenly changes and threats them like worthless chess pieces.

Anyways, I really like the character. He needs to make some excercise though, like lifting some weights, or at least practice a lot in a KMF (he can improve his skills a lot by training with Kallen). That would make him a stronger leader and it would make his encounters with Suzaku more interesting, not just simple gun fights like in episode 25.
allenephilim88 is offline   Reply With Quote