AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2008-11-21, 19:18   Link #301
4Tran

There's been no news about the Viz Full Moon DVDs for a long time now. It might be a long wait (if ever) before the rest of them come out.
Old 2008-11-22, 00:52   Link #302
Ryusiangel

that sucks i haven't bought the dvds yet i'm still waiting for a boxset...i usually don't like to buy seperate and love buying boxset its cheaper that way
Old 2009-01-03, 16:21   Link #303
ShootingStars

i just rewatched it for the 3rd time... it was ___ing great... makes you think of the things you have to do or you'll regret it forever...
im going to read the manga... too bad theres no COOL bgm and vocal music... :/
ShootingStars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-02-17, 06:01   Link #304
Liddo-kun
is this so?

Watched the final episode last night and it's one of the best endings I've ever watched. Almost cried from happiness.

Definitely going to start reading the manga in the next few days.

Last edited by Liddo-kun; 2009-02-17 at 06:30.
Liddo-kun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-02-17, 09:04   Link #305
The Chaos
ǾΝΈ ΡЇΈÇΈ is the Best !!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liddo-kun View Post
Watched the final episode last night and it's one of the best endings I've ever watched. Almost cried from happiness.
every time I see the Last ep I cry ...I re watched The last ep many time and Still love the ending
Old 2009-02-17, 12:00   Link #306
Liddo-kun
is this so?

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Chaos View Post
every time I see the Last ep I cry ...I re watched The last ep many time and Still love the ending
Agreed, I watched the ending more than three times now since yesterday and it's still good. Really need to read the manga, I heard from some people that the story of the manga is different from the anime.

I made one gif from the final episode.
Spoiler for Full Moon concert:

Last edited by Liddo-kun; 2009-03-17 at 05:47.
Old 2009-02-17, 14:08   Link #307
4Tran

Quote:
Agreed, I watched the ending more than three times now since yesterday and it's still good. Really need to read the manga, I heard from some people that the story of the manga is different from the anime.
The anime was started up when only four chapters or so of the manga had come out, so you can think of the two as completely separate works based on a similar premise. I would say that the anime is much better than the manga, but the latter is still worth checking out since the two work on different emotional tones.

And yes, I agree that the ending is one of the best ones in anime.
Old 2009-02-17, 19:05   Link #308
PastPrime

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4Tran View Post
The anime was started up when only four chapters or so of the manga had come out, so you can think of the two as completely separate works based on a similar premise. I would say that the anime is much better than the manga, but the latter is still worth checking out since the two work on different emotional tones.

I think that I like the manga ending better though.
Spoiler:
PastPrime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-02-17, 19:50   Link #309
Liddo-kun
is this so?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4Tran View Post

Thanks for giving additional info on the differences between the manga and anime. An alternate story for Full Moon sounds very interesting.

I don't normally read manga since there are no voice talents and music but Full Moon is special. I'll read it even if it's just manga.
Old 2009-02-17, 23:40   Link #310
4Tran

Quote:
I don't normally read manga since there are no voice talents and music but Full Moon is special. I'll read it even if it's just manga.
Ditto and ditto. As a rule I don't read manga anymore, but Full Moon happens to be the only manga series where I have all the volumes. It's not the best out there, but the strength of the anime made checking out the manga a necessity.
Old 2009-03-08, 20:30   Link #311
Liddo-kun
is this so?

Quote:
Originally Posted by PastPrime View Post
I think that I like the manga ending better though.
Spoiler:
Finished reading the manga a few days ago and I agree that the manga ending is better.

Spoiler for Thoughts on the manga:
Old 2009-03-30, 09:12   Link #312
KimmyChan

I so want this series to eventually be released over here in the UK as it's just KAWAII! ^_^
KimmyChan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-09-05, 14:20   Link #313
roriconfan
Banned

Send a message via MSN to roriconfan
Most people reading my reviews would think that I hate anime and that I review just to trash them no matter how good they may be. Which is not true as I occasionally make positive reviews too… like this one.

What is going here? Why is an adult brute like myself giving a good score to an anime that is aimed at little girls while burying a ton of more male-oriented works. I clearly said many times I prefer action and gore over cute girls and fuzzy animals. Am I following Tite Kubo’s legacy and I am trolling you or something? Am I obsessed with series about underaged girls? Or perhaps I see that this series from an objective point of view is damn good?

Ok, here is why. All those amongst you who have watched many anime (and by many, I mean more that 500 and not just the mainstream crap on tv) you will have noticed that most of them have great ideas and interesting premises that at first appear to be elaborating and interesting. Yet along the way they usually get ruined because of bad directing, pathetic plot twists, cheaper animation and loss of focus. So now imagine that this series happens to be doing the exact opposite. It begins with a ridiculously naive premise, yet along the way it builds around it to create a story that is actually very dark and deep at times. So unlike most series, it makes you begin watching it with low expectations yet along the way it manages to become a lot more than it appeared to be at first.

Then it’s the actual pacing of the story which is good from first to last episode as far as I am concerned. There are no actual fillers or useless episodes in this anime, and being 50 episodes long it’s a real feat. So it is laughable when other series with more episodes have far less effective duration and even claim that “The first 60 episodes are shit, but then it becomes great” (aka Hitman Reborn or Gintama or whatever).

Then it’s the actual story, which begins semi-childish and semi-dramatic, yet manages to change, evolve, mature its cast and still maintain that same cozy feeling to the end without becoming Bleach shit. How many anime do you know that can do that? Half of them don’t even have an overall plot yet still manage to lose the feeling, while most others who do have a plot usually mutate to Shiipuuden garbage. Another feat for it.

Then it’s the cast that although naive at first, along the way it becomes likable for other reasons than its cute looks. I can even say most of them are memorable without being original. Yet another feat.

If I am to be more analytical, the story is about a girl who has cancer and who wishes to become a singer than do an operation which will cost her voice but save her life. All of which are done just so she can show her love to the boy she likes that lives in America. I know it sounds far-fetched as heck and frankly speaking the manga version pulled it better with the “actual” reasons she wants to do it. But anyways, the premise, despite sounding silly, is grim and builds enough tension to keep watching. I mean, she only has 1 year of life, her voice is rather off, and she is still too young to be accepted as a pop model, so WTF? Here comes the “magic convenience” in the story, in the form of two cute death gods, who so happen to magically make her older and prettier, thus fulfilling her wish before she dies, which could result to her becoming a ghost if she doesn’t. Yes, it sounds silly, but just try to see between the lines. It’s a story about a dying girl who just wants to show her love. Isn’t that powerful enough? The magic part that makes the show appear like a Sailor Moon rip-off is not of actual importance. For the lead girl does not use it to beat demons and make people happy with it; she simply uses it as means to shine forth her true non-magic talent of singing.

Not only that, but the story is still grim enough as it involves the hardships of being a pop-idol, being treated bad because of jealousy, being controlled by her strict grandmother, being marked for the things her dead parents did. Heck, the death gods themselves don’t get away with it for cheating on the rules. When was the last time you saw the cute critter that gives the shoujo her magic wand being targeted for punishment by its own order?

I could go on about various other details that make the story awesome but all that would count as spoilers so I will end here by saying “it is not a silly, passable, average, story that gets ruined along the way”.

The actual story is of course simple and the progress in each episode is not much, yet the atmosphere is good enough to make you keep watching.

The actual cast is again not fully developed or exposed in the fullest and does end without proper catharsis for most. All I can say is that they still get ten times more exposure than most anime casts and that the manga version did a much better job at providing backdrop stories and fewer events. So on paper (lol) it is superior to the anime version.

The animation is nothing great yet manages to captivate you with its simplicity, being the cute characters or the whole pop idol fascination with clothes, promotion and song making. Voice acting is also good, with humorous high-pinched voices for most, yet still cruel for others who work as antagonists. The lead girl’s voice may be hard to accept at first, as she does sound weird with that cancer of hers. And while her songs are very good (performed by the same voice actor) the do lack in variety, repeat too often and may eventually tire you (two songs, twice heard per episode).

Now about the dying part, I have seen it before in other anime. There was also Mahoromatic and Saikano, which were about dying girls who just wanted to have a happy time until their demise. Both those shows ended in quite the WTF ways and felt very alien with the rest of the series. Once again, the ending of this anime is not unexpected, and it sure is not mindfucking weird. So again, Full Moon manages to excel even in its final impressions with a powerful and solid ending, another hard thing most anime seem to miss.

In conclusion, not all anime are bad at storytelling, even if they have a high amount of naivety in them. This anime is the living proof of it that most anime producers should take notes from instead of going for the brainless moeblob shit of the late 00’s.

That’s it from me; I did a positive review for a chance. Now excuse me as I return back to my usual self while looking angrily at all those mediocre anime I intend to criticize.

SUGGESTION LIST
The manga version
Princess Tutu
roriconfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-09-08, 10:34   Link #314
Chosha-san

Excellent review!

Amen, roriconfan! I don't think I could have said any of that better.

I agree, moe is good for comic effect (Asahina Mikuru, for example), but I couldn't bear an entire series with a moe character as the heroine, whimpering about her victimhood to milk sympathy from the audience. On the opposite side of the spectrum, I couldn't stand a heroine so strong, she could stand up to anything...and be little more than an emotional robot.

Mitsuki strikes a nice balance between the extremes. The one thing that is most impressive about her personality is her unwavering self-confidence. Unwavering, except for her (understandable) depression because of the events in episodes 42-46. She does have some vulnerabilities (as we all do), which makes her quite human. Outside of that, she's almost always self-assured and positive, and she's not merely "smiling through her tears." Her optimism is genuine.

With all the problems she has to endure--dying of cancer, being separated from her true love, belittled by her grandmother, struggling to achieve stardom--you'd think she'd be a sniveling milksop. Ha. Shoot, it is Mitsuki who gives her classmates advice on love, it is Mitsuki who brings a child closer to her parents, it is Mitsuki who arranges for a little boy and girl to be adopted into the same family...and so on.

Hey, I think I'll go back and watch it again. Quite a good show. The manga, too.
Chosha-san is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-09-18, 20:21   Link #315
hollowification

Send a message via MSN to hollowification
i read on wikipedia that this anime stop english dub am i right so what going to happen they release from 1 to 26 and what about the rest?
Old 2010-09-18, 22:49   Link #316
wandering-dreamer
reads too much

Viz hasn't released anymore volumes of this in a few years so I think most people have given up on it. If you haven't read the manga then I'd suggest you do that instead, Viz did release all the volumes of that.
wandering-dreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-09-19, 12:05   Link #317
PastPrime

Quote:
Originally Posted by wandering-dreamer View Post
Viz hasn't released anymore volumes of this in a few years so I think most people have given up on it. If you haven't read the manga then I'd suggest you do that instead, Viz did release all the volumes of that.
Although you will need to be aware that the Anime was basically in an alternate universe from the manga which didn't end until well after the anime. Some things are the same, and some are similar, but many are different. And I really liked the Manga ending much better.
PastPrime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-11-19, 01:32   Link #318
Chiibi
Vanitas owns you >:3

Send a message via AIM to Chiibi Send a message via MSN to Chiibi
F*CK VIZ for trashing my favorite series of all time. I will NEVER forgive them.

I went and bought the R2 dvds.

..........and I also spent a ridiculous amount of money on customizing two dollfies to look like Takuto and Mitsuki. But I don't care! THEY'RE SOOOO CUUUTE!! *cuddle cuddle*

Quote:
i read on wikipedia that this anime stop english dub am i right so what going to happen they release from 1 to 26 and what about the rest?
Look for fansubs. They ARE still out there. NOBODY should miss the conclusion as spectacular as this. The second half is the real gem. Well last 15 episodes anyway.
Old 2012-03-13, 11:02   Link #319
usspaul

i know this is kinda late but i just marathoned this series actually im not sure why i picked it up i just saw somethign somewhere about full moon wasnt sure what it was and looked up some images. i thought full moon was cute so i went and downloaded it and man was i surprised... it was a really good show much diffrent from what i normaly watch but at the same time i really loved it. infact it keep me so glued to the computer that i found myself getting only 3 hours a sleep before having to go to work. i just couldnt wait for my day off to come so i can finish the show. it took me only 3 days to finish it lol. i will say there were diffentaly parts in the show that made me tear up. the ending of course had me cring too and im happy things kinda ended in a good note. i feel sorry for meroko i liked her a lot well i liked a lot of the charaters even madoka grew on me lol. this was a real good show and on my list of favorite shows now.
usspaul is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
comedy, musical