AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Reviews & Recommendations

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2010-05-05, 12:51   Link #1
Forsaken_Infinity

Realistically depicted maniac depression.

I am fucking pissed, at my wit's end and wanna kill someone but I am too good a person to kill anyone but myself. But I can't kill myself because that would be unfair to myself. Thus, my only damned recourse is to watch some anime. Recommend me the most depressing anime ever. It'd be best if they keep things real. I don't mean they can't have fictional setting and magic and stuff, I just don't want unrealistic change of tone. It'd be best if it gets truly depressing to the point an average anime viewer would commit suicide. Thanks for aiding me in my ascent to hell.

Cheers.
Old 2010-05-05, 12:53   Link #2
Haladflire65
*Artist

Monster. Extremely depressing, great story, the maniac you want, and it's a very, very good anime.
Old 2010-05-05, 12:58   Link #3
Forsaken_Infinity

Watched that ages ago and its not that depressing because it has positive moments all through. The purpose of the show was to show human strength and ability to find happiness even under the worst of circumstances. Granted the characters live pitiable lives but they all find positive notes somewhere along the way or at the end. I would like a show which is truly depressing. Monster is close but its only about halfway there.
Old 2010-05-05, 13:04   Link #4
Haak
Me, An Intellectual

Texhnolyze is pretty depressing. Though the ending is more "meaningfully depressing" rather than just depressing.

Are you following Rainbow, this season?
Old 2010-05-05, 13:13   Link #5
Forsaken_Infinity

Watched Texhnolyze, but couldn't really figure out most stuff because it was too dark and my laptop refused to get any brighter (its usually more than bright enough...and my PC is worse off so nvm). Its pretty depressing but not enough!

I am following like 9 anime this season but that's not one of them. OMG WTF lol. Gotta follow it if its depressing.
Old 2010-05-05, 13:28   Link #6
Kafriel
Senior Guest

Seconding RAINBOW and adding Clannad and Clannad:afterstory. I know it's a mix of romance/comedy/drama, but the sorrow really hits red after a point.
Quote:
Thanks for aiding me in my ascent to hell.
Always thought it was down below...
Old 2010-05-05, 13:53   Link #7
Forsaken_Infinity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kafriel View Post
Always thought it was down below...
"The majestic residents of Heaven assume, in their stupendous glory, that the denizens of hell must be living an abject life so far down the pillar of bliss that they can't entertain even a jocund moment and must, therefore, be very jealous of the regal splendor that the stupendous citizens of paradise do exude. Pity, though, for the divine hypocrites, in their glorious blasphemy, never notice the brilliance of the dark side of the moon. Those within the abyss - tired as they are - couldn't be bothered to reason their perspective; they'd rather fancy a deeper fall. Or rather, a much sharper ascent."
Old 2010-05-05, 15:05   Link #8
james0246

What's "Maniac Depression"?

Anyway, surprised Aoi Bungaku hasn't been mentioned...

Also putting out Shigofumi. Has many moments of non-depression (they are not really "good" moments, but someone isn't dying or hurting others, so they are not really "depressing" either ), but still a good choice...

If you want truly depressing, then just watch some rape-fantasy hentai. That shit'll make you want to kill a whole hell of a lot of people (mainly the writers of the anime), before finally killing yourself...

Big seconds for Rainbow.
Old 2010-05-05, 15:06   Link #9
Scorch

Iriya no Sora, UFO no Natsu - it's only 6 episodes long but manages to be emotional and quite depressing.

You've probably seen it, but Grave of the Fireflies is famous for being depressing. The author of the book it was based on wrote it to help come to terms with his letting his sister starve to death.

The title of your post made me immediately think of Welcome to the NHK. It's not that it's incredibly depressing, it's that the characters are mostly manic depressive. Seems the content of your post was a bit different than the title, but it might be worth a try if you want to see some utterly screwed up characters. They almost make Shinji from Eva look mentally healthy
Old 2010-05-05, 16:01   Link #10
Haak
Me, An Intellectual

Quote:
Originally Posted by james0246 View Post
What's "Maniac Depression"?
Bipolar disorder. Something tells me that's not what he's actually looking for...

Though I suppose, if I were to describe any anime as 'having Bipolar Disorder', I would probably pick Angel Beats.
Old 2010-05-05, 16:57   Link #11
james0246

^So there is actually a Maniac Depression? I thought it was simply a misspelled version of Manic Depression...
Old 2010-05-05, 17:10   Link #12
NoLongerSane

Grave of the Fireflies if you want something to depress you. The Evangelion series and films if you want to see characters go through the spectrum of emotional problems, and then want to want to strangle the main protagonist for not changing much. Excel Saga if you really want to see what crazy is, and then follow into that abyss when you try to wrap your head on the plot. Betterman is you want to see one of the protagonist go through bouts of depression from time to time, though how is your background on the sciences and psychology.
Old 2010-05-05, 19:00   Link #13
Forsaken_Infinity

Quote:
Originally Posted by james0246 View Post
^So there is actually a Maniac Depression? I thought it was simply a misspelled version of Manic Depression...
Ugh..I meant exactly what I typed actually. Maniac or maniacal is an adjective that describes an insane person. I don't know if I should have added "'s" at the end of Maniac and I suck at English anyway so forgive me if it's grammatically incorrect. In any case, I am looking for something so depressive that the character literally goes crazy.
Old 2010-05-05, 21:14   Link #14
NoLongerSane

So you are wanting an anime that has things go wrong for the protagonist or ally that they lose their minds at the end. I think Beserk fits into what you are looking for, especially the final episodes of the series.
Old 2010-05-05, 21:31   Link #15
Zawa
New Age Retro Hippie

The novel version of Welcome to the NHK is depressing in a realistic sense. The anime added a lot more humor to it, though.

Or, if that doesn't do it...
Spoiler for the most depressing anime ever:
Old 2010-05-05, 22:18   Link #16
Sackett
Cross Game - I need more

Location: I've moved around the American West. I've lived in Oregon, Washington, Utah, and Oklahoma
Neon Genesis Evangelion? That would be my first suggestion. The old original version. But you've probably seen it.

Some people found Chrono Crusade depressing (I didn't)

I found Honey and Clover depressing. (Most don't)

Cross Game - A Story of Love, Life, Death - and Baseball. What more could you want?
Old 2010-05-05, 23:29   Link #17
qwertyuiopz

tokyo magnitude 8.0

just finished it today and i am pretty depressed after bawling on the last few eps
what more realistic than an earthquake?
Old 2010-05-06, 19:55   Link #18
Poetic Justice
100Shots100Hits LuluLaLu

Hope you feel better soon dude, I can't think of any depressing anime that haven't been already mentioned, But if you want depressing manga there's always Vinland Saga, Ikigami, Suicide Island and a range of others i can recommend.
Old 2010-05-06, 22:37   Link #19
Zwei
Natural Born Killer
*Graphic Designer

Others I can think of right now were already recommended, so I'll just throw these in which I found pretty depressing myself:

Gungrave
Phantom ~Requiem for the Phantom~
Serial Experiments Lain
Boogiepop Phantom
Hitsuji no Uta
Kite
Old 2010-05-07, 08:19   Link #20
CeDeR
Inactive Member

Send a message via ICQ to CeDeR Send a message via AIM to CeDeR Send a message via Yahoo to CeDeR
Quote:
Originally Posted by Forsaken_Infinity View Post
Ugh..I meant exactly what I typed actually. Maniac or maniacal is an adjective that describes an insane person. I don't know if I should have added "'s" at the end of Maniac and I suck at English anyway so forgive me if it's grammatically incorrect. In any case, I am looking for something so depressive that the character literally goes crazy.
School Days has characters that lose their mind.
Also try Gilgamesh and Now and Then, Here and There they are quite dark and depressing at times.
Closed Thread