AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Current Series > One Piece

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2012-03-29, 15:40   Link #121
Bern-san

I know that we don't know much about Law but I get the impression that he is acting a little bit strange (I expect more of him after this arc, since he decided to wait more time to get to the NW and to fight Somker and the SH just when the SH arrived to the NW...)
My point is, although I don't deny that he has his own agenda and that he isn't exactly a "good guy", I don't see him as "evil". After all, he treated Luffy after the war.

Or maybe I'm too biased towards Law since he is so badass and I love his design (by the way where is Beppo?)
Old 2012-03-29, 16:15   Link #122
Randrak42
ANEGO Worshiper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bern-san View Post
I know that we don't know much about Law but I get the impression that he is acting a little bit strange (I expect more of him after this arc, since he decided to wait more time to get to the NW and to fight Somker and the SH just when the SH arrived to the NW...)
My point is, although I don't deny that he has his own agenda and that he isn't exactly a "good guy", I don't see him as "evil". After all, he treated Luffy after the war.
I believe more than a few have stated that they feel this aswell (myself included)
Old 2012-03-29, 17:05   Link #123
golgo13

^ What is the feel? Law is after some marine conspiracy or advancing the medical good?
Old 2012-03-29, 17:06   Link #124
Poetic Justice
100Shots100Hits LuluLaLu

Good to see smoker get his ass handed to him, Easily the worst 'rival' for Luffy in the series.

Sanji's new wanted poster reaction should be great.
Old 2012-03-29, 17:29   Link #125
holypanl
Well Rounded Critic

Quote:
Originally Posted by golgo13 View Post
Nice, thanks. Well if thats the case then smoker is in trouble.

When logias have been harmed before they are able to regenerate themselves. Get head cut off, bullets, smashed to pieces etc... It seems like oda is trying to make the heart a crucial part of the body that is not easily regenerated (motivation for law to go after hearts, reason personalities are with the heart). If that is the case then smoker will not easily be able to regenerate his body, ie his heart.

Still think smoker will be able to get out of it by himself. If not, probably SHs will somehow help.

Oda has really established Law as a Shichibukai with his power demonstration in the past few chapters.
Wrong, Logias have never been shown to be able to self-regenerate wounds. If a logia is in his element form, and the element is attacked, and his real body is not actually hit, then no wound is inflicted, and the Logia user can just re-group his body by having the element coalesce into one location.

This is not regeneration. If somebody manages to effect a change in the Logia user's body when the Logia user is in solid mode, the change is permanent.

So in this case, Law's reflexes allowed him to catch Smoker off guard by shunting his heart out of his chest through a stone formation when he wasn't expecting it. If Smoker was in his gas form, his heart would not have been taken.

Since he apparently was solid at that moment, the attack took effect and hit its intended target -- Smoker's real body and took out his heart.

If a Logia user is caught off guard, and someone slashes off one of their arms, blood and all escaping from the wound; an obvious flesh wound, could the Logia user simply re-position his amputated limb? No.

If the same Logia user was slashed through while in his elemental form, such that the attack passed through the element and not his real body, he would simply receive no wound. I hope I don't have to make an even longer post after this to explain further.

First they went for communists: and I didn't speak out, not being a communist;
Then they came for trade unionists, and I said naught because I wasn't a trade unionist;
Then they came for the Jews: and I didn't speak out because I wasn't a Jew;

Then they came for me!
...and there was no one left to speak out for me.
Old 2012-03-29, 17:34   Link #126
Randrak42
ANEGO Worshiper

Quote:
Originally Posted by golgo13 View Post
^ What is the feel? Law is after some marine conspiracy or advancing the medical good?
The feel that although he looks like it, Law doesn't seem like the arc's villain at all. Personally it feels like he's got a secret agenda that isn't all that evil...or something.
Old 2012-03-29, 17:58   Link #127
golgo13

Quote:
Originally Posted by holypanl View Post
Wrong, Logias have never been shown to be able to self-regenerate wounds. If a logia is in his element form, and the element is attacked, and his real body is not actually hit, then no wound is inflicted, and the Logia user can just re-group his body by having the element coalesce into one location.

This is not regeneration. If somebody manages to effect a change in the Logia user's body when the Logia user is in solid mode, the change is permanent.

So in this case, Law's reflexes allowed him to catch Smoker off guard by shunting his heart out of his chest through a stone formation when he wasn't expecting it. If Smoker was in his gas form, his heart would not have been taken.

Since he apparently was solid at that moment, the attack took effect and hit its intended target -- Smoker's real body and took out his heart.

If a Logia user is caught off guard, and someone slashes off one of their arms, blood and all escaping from the wound; an obvious flesh wound, could the Logia user simply re-position his amputated limb? No.

If the same Logia user was slashed through while in his elemental form, such that the attack passed through the element and not his real body, he would simply receive no wound. I hope I don't have to make an even longer post after this to explain further.
You're right. Logias can't regenerate. Ie scars...
Old 2012-03-29, 18:01   Link #128
Randrak42
ANEGO Worshiper

That's also why Crocoboy having mastered his Logia to the point that he goes elemental instantly on instinct is so important and makes him that much dangerous as a logia.
Old 2012-03-29, 19:00   Link #129
tminty1

I hope Luffy beats Law up after he sees what happened to Smoker.
Old 2012-03-29, 20:34   Link #130
bonsobon

Quote:
Originally Posted by tminty1 View Post
I hope Luffy beats Law up after he sees what happened to Smoker.
Why should he? They aren't friends and he doesn't owe him anything.
Old 2012-03-29, 22:09   Link #131
tminty1

Quote:
Originally Posted by bonsobon View Post
Why should he? They aren't friends and he doesn't owe him anything.
Luffy said Smoker wasn't such a bad guy and it looked like he saw him as a friend and even told Zoro to save him. If Smoker wasn't against Luffy, I doubt Luffy would have a reason to fight him.

When he sees that Law hurt someone who he sees as "good", he'll then see Law as "bad".
Old 2012-03-29, 22:20   Link #132
Talendra

Luffy actually does have a differentiated view on the marines, it's not like he sees a little Akainu in Smoker. And yes, Luffy did order Zoro to save Smoker. Still, it's totally beyond me how one could possibly reach conclusion where Luffy prefers a Marine that he does not really wish to die over a fellow pirate who he worked with at Shabondy and who actually saved his life.

If the plot at PH develops further, yes, maybe that might be an outcome. But at this point, with the view on Luffys face as he sees Law, there is no friggin way in hell that he would start attacking him for Smokers sake.
Old 2012-03-29, 22:21   Link #133
hero147

Quote:
Originally Posted by tminty1 View Post
Luffy said Smoker wasn't such a bad guy and it looked like he saw him as a friend and even told Zoro to save him. If Smoker wasn't against Luffy, I doubt Luffy would have a reason to fight him.

When he sees that Law hurt someone who he sees as "good", he'll then see Law as "bad".
Law also saved his life....
Old 2012-03-29, 23:42   Link #134
aimboy234
Proud Filipino

Not all animal-like humans in one piece are DF zoan type users, for example shojo and masira in jaya or the gorilla in shiki's crew. The same goes for Bepo, there are only two possibilities, trained animals or humanoid animal like in DBZ.
Btw, the Minochihuaha is super cute.
Old 2012-03-29, 23:45   Link #135
paradox13
zzz

Send a message via MSN to paradox13
Quote:
Law also saved his life....
Well, I don't really believe in notions of goodness or badness, but when a character like Law does something like (really) going out of his way to save someone's life, you can be sure he has an ulterior motive.

Whether that is good or bad is up to you.
Old 2012-03-29, 23:52   Link #136
raziel16

Quote:
Originally Posted by marvelB View Post
Really, I don't care if she's cute or not, I just want to see a new powerful female character since we haven't seen one for so long (I wouldn't count Big Mom, since she's one of the emperors). I mean, I don't really expect her to be on the same level as Hancock or anything, but at least let her be strong enough to not get knocked out in one blow.....
Now that you mention it, I guess it does been a while since we have kickass female character in the series. All we have just now are:
- madam Shirley (weak)
- cammie (weak)
- shirahosi (weak)

Even the females in SH didn't get much screen time either, they just pound on a bunch of fodders and that's it
Old 2012-03-30, 04:49   Link #137
ronin myael
lost ronin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randrak42 View Post
That's also why Crocoboy having mastered his Logia to the point that he goes elemental instantly on instinct is so important and makes him that much dangerous as a logia.
Quote:

correct me if i'm wrong, but i thought logia users are immune to direct attacks, they automatically turn into their elemental selves when attacked? i think i remember reading about that when ace fought blackbeard. when blackbeard claimed to possess logia DF ability, ace contested it saying logia users are immune to direct attacks, but blackbeard could not turn into his element self and dodge any attacks. the reason luffy was able to beat crocodile was luffy used water to prevent him from turning back into sand. as for how law was able to take smoker's heart when he is a logia user, all i could think of is haki. law might have imbued his attack with haki and he took him by surprise that smoker didn't have enough time to use his own haki against it.
Old 2012-03-30, 05:08   Link #138
Randrak42
ANEGO Worshiper

Luffy attacking Law because of Smoker would be completely out of character.
Luffy doesn't consider Smoker to be a bad guy, much like he doesn't consider any marine to be bad, he has a different way of viewing things tan regular marines and pirates. A regular marine sees a pirate and immediately thinks he's a villain and his duty is to capture him. A regular pirate sees a marine and thinks he's an enemy to defeat or escape.
If Luffy sees marines and they don't try to catch him...hell he'll even have a meal with them if he feels like it. Luffy seems to like people that are serious about their work, like Smoker, it's like he respects people that work hard to achieve their dream/wants and as long as innocent people or his nakama aren't harmed he doesn't get in the way.
Luffy told Zoro to save Smoker the same way he would tell Zoro to save just about anyone he doesn't view as evil. Replace Smoker with anyone else (not villainous) and he'd give the same order. However...Luffy was never shown to stop a fight between two people unless it's some stupid one-sided deal against a bad guy.

Then we also have the fact Law saved Luffy's life, something Luffy gives major importance to. Thus he would never attack Law unless he knew that Law was doing something evil.

Attacking and "killing" Smoker isn't evil...for all he knows Law could be protecting himself from Smoker...
Old 2012-03-30, 06:59   Link #139
golgo13

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronin myael View Post
correct me if i'm wrong, but i thought logia users are immune to direct attacks, they automatically turn into their elemental selves when attacked? i think i remember reading about that when ace fought blackbeard. when blackbeard claimed to possess logia DF ability, ace contested it saying logia users are immune to direct attacks, but blackbeard could not turn into his element self and dodge any attacks. the reason luffy was able to beat crocodile was luffy used water to prevent him from turning back into sand. as for how law was able to take smoker's heart when he is a logia user, all i could think of is haki. law might have imbued his attack with haki and he took him by surprise that smoker didn't have enough time to use his own haki against it.
Not exactly automatic. They have to train at it. And even then they can always make themselves physical. Good example is caribou allowing himself to be hit by sanji after he gets trapped on the sunny ship.

The actual attack here against smoker is quite strong. To be able to remove the physical heart before smoker can move himself or protect himself with haki is pretty impressive. Welcome to the new world.

It will be interesting to see if smoker can react to this.
Old 2012-03-30, 08:08   Link #140
Kafriel
Senior Guest

I've always considered Law and his crew as a neutral party...his reasons for being on that island will be most interesting. Tashigi got owned, nearly crying as Law taunted her...at least Smoker could put up an actual fight against him - too bad he just lost his heart :P I highly doubt Law would kill Smoker though, if anything happens then the marines will definitely call an investigation party to the island, which can't be to his benefit.
Closed Thread