AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired M-Z > Nanoha/Vivid Franchise

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2012-03-27, 23:51   Link #241
Akiyoshi
The Flame Crussader

I know what this franchise really needs ...a masked VIGILANTE xD!

It will be an interesting contrast with all the govberment sponsored heroines we know and love xD Fighting the battles the TSAB don't want to fight, breaking the rules Section Six can't. Delivering justice against polemic villains like the Huckebein or the Vandin Corporation xD!

Teana is right, the heroes are too law-binded. They need the help of an outlaw xD!

EDIT: Page claimed for uhm... The Mystic Avenger xD!

...9 years ago, the day after never would be the same

~The ASFB~

Last edited by Akiyoshi; 2012-03-28 at 00:07.
Old 2012-03-28, 00:01   Link #242
itanshi1
Writer, Jester, MtG nerd

Send a message via AIM to itanshi1 Send a message via MSN to itanshi1
/me headdesk

Fear Anxiety Doubt is but a fad. The life of a fad depends entirely on the willingness to support it. Difficulty is a choice. Determination is a path. Your next great idea after your destination is the true goal.
Old 2012-03-28, 00:34   Link #243
Rising Dragon
Goat Herder
*Author

If you want to get really technical we already had that with Aria and Lotte.
Old 2012-03-28, 00:42   Link #244
Akiyoshi
The Flame Crussader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rising Dragon View Post
If you want to get really technical we already had that with Aria and Lotte.
Yeah but that was a really small glimpse and at the end they were also working for a goverment cell after all.

With Teana's inconformism about law-limits, her intelligence, skills, death family background and resources she could become a very sucessfull masked vigilante xD

~The ASFB~
Old 2012-03-28, 01:39   Link #245
itanshi1
Writer, Jester, MtG nerd

Send a message via AIM to itanshi1 Send a message via MSN to itanshi1
We've discussed this in crossover likely, batman

Fear Anxiety Doubt is but a fad. The life of a fad depends entirely on the willingness to support it. Difficulty is a choice. Determination is a path. Your next great idea after your destination is the true goal.
Old 2013-01-13, 23:25   Link #246
Kaijo
Banned

Location: Somewhere over the rainbow, in a house dropped on an ugly, old woman.
Send a message via AIM to Kaijo Send a message via MSN to Kaijo
Not sure where to put this request, so I'll stick it in the general Nanoha thread here.

I've recently gotten into subtitling, and mostly teaching myself the ins and outs. Mostly, I wanted to add song subtitles to my fansubbed episodes, but then I began to branch out. Now, I'm adding colored lettering to subtitles, to better denote who is talking in Nanoha, ie, pink outlines for Nanoha, gold for Fate, etc. Currently working on StrikerS, as once I get the colors set there, I can use them for the prior two seasons.

What I am looking for, is perhaps some people willing to take a look at the colors, fonts, and what not that I've done, and see if it looks okay. Does something need to be a bit darker? Lighter? Different font? Different font size? Any other things I might change? Send me a PM or VM if interested.

Also, if you are quite familiar with .ass subtitle files in relation to .mkv files, and would be willing to answer a few questions via IMs, PMs, or VMs, let me know. While I have learned a lot on my own, it's been through trial and error. Having someone who can answer a question or two here and there, would be helpful. Thanks!

Oh, and when I'm done, if there are people interested in colored subtitle Nanoha files, I'll provide them. But mostly I'm just doing this to teach myself, and have a bit of fun.
Old 2013-01-14, 00:40   Link #247
Justin_Brett

Better tell for who? Deaf people?
Old 2013-01-14, 03:19   Link #248
NorthernFallout
The Interstellar Medium
*Author

I would advise not using different colors as it will easily clash with the background. White text with black borders will work 99% of the time. Even if you only change the border colors you may have problems when something bright shows up, in the cases when you have yellow borders and white text. The alternative I suppose would be adding name tags if you want to identify who says what.

Good fonts for subtitles includes sans serif fonts. I personally use Antique Olive, but there are many good fonts to use. Check out my Soundstages subbing for examples of all of the above.

Old 2013-01-14, 08:26   Link #249
Kaijo
Banned

Well, part of it is mainly an experiment; Can I do colored lettering and still have it work? Maybe or maybe not. I have seen a few series where colored lettering was used, and it seemed to work fine. But that's just me; hence, my wanting to see how well it works for other people. So, it's mainly just for my own teaching (and there are already white subtitles out there for those who prefer those).

Also, I'm kinda curious if the type of subtitle, and the variety of styles, subconsciously affects how well someone judges a series.

And Justin, I have no idea what you're saying. This would be in regards to fansubbed anime.
Old 2013-01-14, 12:38   Link #250
Justin_Brett

I know, but I think people can tell what character is talking by their voice most of the time.
Old 2013-01-14, 13:09   Link #251
Kaijo
Banned

You'd be surprised. Sometimes I can't, especially if the screen isn't on the character, or there are multiple people speaking at the same time or in rapid succession. And part of it is just to be cute, heh.
Old 2013-01-14, 13:49   Link #252
Rising Dragon
Goat Herder
*Author

Some people, like myself, also get confused if subtitles for a background song start appearing alongside the spoken dialogue, particularly if it's the same color. Snow Rain is a pretty big offender in A's, for example.
Old 2013-01-31, 21:17   Link #253
Kaijo
Banned

I'm making the first 13 eps available now, since they are done. If you are interested in watching the subtitles in use on an actual file, let me know, and I'll get them to you. I've also made some modifications and edits on the script, too, to correct grammar or for general flow reasons, when it felt too stiff or awkward. So, if you do watch, and still see a misspelling or bad grammar, or even something that could be phrased better or differently, let me know. So far, the few people who have watched them, have said the colored subtitles look good.

Anyway, I'll create a torrent with all 26 once I finish the second half. And then I'll go on to S1 and A's, and input colored subtitles there, too. Why? Because I want to amuse myself, and get more comfortable with subtitle mechanics.

Oh, there is a vocal song that plays during episode 8 of Strikers, and I'd kinda like to add an English translation. I have the full romaji version of the song, and the few lines they use, but as far as I can see, there is no translation of it yet. And my crude translation efforts wouldn't do it justice. If someone wants to get me a translation of it, I'll add it in.

Edit: Thought I'd add in a few screenshots, just to showcase what I've done:

Spoiler for Pictures:

Last edited by Kaijo; 2013-01-31 at 21:29.
Old 2013-02-17, 22:52   Link #254
Sansker
Manus ad Ferrum

So I take here we can talk about the Sound Stage X and the oh so memorable character of Runessa Magnus.
Old 2013-02-18, 11:14   Link #255
Sansker
Manus ad Ferrum

So yes, the Sound Stage X… If I have to be honest I actually like the first CD of that thing. I mean yes, it was a little too happy looking over the whole assassination plot and some scenes were there just to remember us that the characters on those scenes still exist and I find a little odd they only use StrikerS characters but, overall, wasn’t that bad. I like to hear them moving on with their lives and they did present us with a mystery and a trouble that will be a real test for the Forwards and their talents. I was kind of invested in to this thing. Then it came the other CD and when I listen to it I think I skip a few parts. The resolution to the conflict is just too fast, the introduction of Ixpellia really comes as kind of an accident and the villain was just too much of a side character for me to care at all when it was reveal. And then was all over and I was left thinking if something happen.

Again my main problem with the Sound Stage X was execution. The characters were flat in StrikerS and, again, they don’t really serve much of a role here. I did like the bits of development Subaru get but even the own character cut that scene out in the worst moment possible. The sound stage relies too much on sound effects of fights which, as we know, we can’t see. Like I say, characters have no role here. Aside from cameos I don’t think many of them add anything of value to the story. The Numbers, the Church, Erio and Caro, etc. were just there to show they existed. Even Lutecia and Agito at least translate the ancient Belka words and help. Teana was investigating and Subaru… she fights Mirages I guess.

The problem is that the Sound Stage X feels like a poorly done and executed effort to sell copies. I don’t think there is anything good in there that deserves to be acknowledge and by its end I feel like nothing really was accomplish even when the conflict was at least resolve, sort of.
Old 2013-02-18, 11:45   Link #256
Nanya01
Left for TFF
*Author

Send a message via AIM to Nanya01
Sansker:

So, I guess more world building doesn't mean anything to you? Or Character Development? Or more backstory?

Honestly, Sansker, and I'm not alone on this, you really seem like a person who only wants to talk about the series to gripe and pick it apart.

Edit: I'm not saying that you should give blind praise to something. Hell, I complain about things from my favorite series as well out there, but all you seem to do, Sansker is complain, complain, complain. Really, you're almost as bad as Aki, and that's really bad.

My fics Due to certain things, I am not here, find me over on TFF.
Old 2013-02-18, 12:06   Link #257
Justin_Brett

Quote:
The characters were flat in StrikerS
You should look up what a Flat Character is. A lead character cannot be one by virtue of them having more than one facet to their personality by default.
Old 2013-02-18, 12:45   Link #258
Kaijo
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sansker View Post
So yes, the Sound Stage X… If I have to be honest I actually like the first CD of that thing. I mean yes, it was a little too happy looking over the whole assassination plot and some scenes were there just to remember us that the characters on those scenes still exist and I find a little odd they only use StrikerS characters but, overall, wasn’t that bad. I like to hear them moving on with their lives and they did present us with a mystery and a trouble that will be a real test for the Forwards and their talents. I was kind of invested in to this thing. Then it came the other CD and when I listen to it I think I skip a few parts. The resolution to the conflict is just too fast, the introduction of Ixpellia really comes as kind of an accident and the villain was just too much of a side character for me to care at all when it was reveal. And then was all over and I was left thinking if something happen.

Again my main problem with the Sound Stage X was execution. The characters were flat in StrikerS and, again, they don’t really serve much of a role here. I did like the bits of development Subaru get but even the own character cut that scene out in the worst moment possible. The sound stage relies too much on sound effects of fights which, as we know, we can’t see. Like I say, characters have no role here. Aside from cameos I don’t think many of them add anything of value to the story. The Numbers, the Church, Erio and Caro, etc. were just there to show they existed. Even Lutecia and Agito at least translate the ancient Belka words and help. Teana was investigating and Subaru… she fights Mirages I guess.

The problem is that the Sound Stage X feels like a poorly done and executed effort to sell copies. I don’t think there is anything good in there that deserves to be acknowledge and by its end I feel like nothing really was accomplish even when the conflict was at least resolve, sort of.
First off... it's a SOUND STAGE! That means no picture by default. You know why they put these things out (and many other series do this)? It's because animation is the most expensive aspect, and they don't have money for another anime. So your choice is: Sound stage CD drama, or nothing. Which would you pick? At least with a sound stage, we get more world building.

Now, with that out of the way... we can only conclude you were asleep, and thus missed quite a few things. Lack of character development? Flat characters? Did you not listen as Subaru witnessed a man commit suicide right in front of her, which affected her so deeply, it stretched into Force? Did you miss Teana's growth as a full-blown investigator? Did you miss Caro and Erio's talk with Arf? ...Well, that reduced their development once again to just their relationship with Fate, but that's the price they pay for being related to Fate. Her character pretty much destroys almost everyone else around her, and thus the character of Fate is the most ruinous part of Nanoha. Erio and Caro exist just to advance Fate, and that's it. The sooner Fate is gone from the series, the better.

The Numbers and church I'll give you, but they are secondary characters anyway. And one of the things you have to keep in mind, is that when this came out, it was the only non-fluff piece thing we had post-StrikerS. There are other StrikerS sound stages which are more fluff, but do focus on various characters. So SSX is the first time we see the Nakajima cyborgs adapting to their new life. Thus, what we get is not so much development, as it is seeing how they've changed.

I do find it funny you think Lutecia and Agito helped, and thus had a place in SSX... but then somehow think Teana, Subaru, Erio, and Caro were "just there" as if you missed all the things they did (which was more than Lutecia and Agito).

SSX was also more of a mystery, than anything else. And mysteries tend to wrap up fairly quickly. Still, we had many tracks dedicated to the ending, so I can't see how you can say it was wrapped up quickly. I don't see how you can say the introduction of Ixpellia was an accident. The mariages had to come from somewhere, and Ixpellia was the explanation. Finding her, then, would naturally happen near the climax.

But then again, you hate everything. You kinda remind me of Droopy dog, who was pessimistic and down about everything.
Old 2013-02-18, 15:50   Link #259
Akiyoshi
The Flame Crussader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin_Brett View Post
You should look up what a Flat Character is. A lead character cannot be one by virtue of them having more than one facet to their personality by default.
Oh believe me, flat main characters DO exist xDU

~The ASFB~
Old 2013-02-18, 16:55   Link #260
Keroko
Adeptus Animus
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaijo View Post
The Numbers and church I'll give you, but they are secondary characters anyway. And one of the things you have to keep in mind, is that when this came out, it was the only non-fluff piece thing we had post-StrikerS. There are other StrikerS sound stages which are more fluff, but do focus on various characters. So SSX is the first time we see the Nakajima cyborgs adapting to their new life. Thus, what we get is not so much development, as it is seeing how they've changed.
Not quite. Remember that SSX was released before Vivid and Force, it was here that we first learned of the fate of the Numbers. Where we learned that some were adopted by Nakajima, while others started to work for the church. That alone was a major development for them.
Closed Thread