AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Current Series > One Piece

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2012-03-30, 08:21   Link #141
Randrak42
ANEGO Worshiper

I don't get why some people say M looks like Basil...they look nothing alike. Not only are the features different, but Basil turns into a strawman like thingy while M is clearly ethereal...
Old 2012-03-30, 08:25   Link #142
randomlex
In the eye of the storm

Well, even if Law isn't the bad guy, he's still got some explaining to do about the capture of half of the Straw Hats - unless he wasn't aware of that and M acted on his own...
Old 2012-03-30, 08:48   Link #143
tminty1

It didn't look like Law's orders because the captors didn't know they were Strawhats.
Old 2012-03-30, 09:28   Link #144
marvelB

Y'know, upon closer consideration, I realized that so far, Smoker's ALWAYS gotten screwed over whenever he had a close encounter with the shichibukai:

-At Alabasta, he was unfortunate enough to get trapped in Crocodile's sea stone prison.

-At Marineford, not only did Hancock beat him up, she even destroyed his weapon (which was like, the only really effective offense he had at the time), and:

-The heart theft business with Law from this chapter.

Heh, I wonder if ol' Smokey hates the warlords because he's jealous of how much stronger/cleverer they are than him?
Old 2012-03-30, 09:43   Link #145
C.A.
Absolute Haruhist!
*Artist

Sounds like Smoker haven't had any luck ever since he met Luffy and left Roguetown.

When was the last time any one used a seastone weapon? Its logical to use a seastone weapon but it makes Smoker a little bit less cool at this point, seeing that no one else seem to rely on seastone in their fights now.
When I say 'My god...', god refers to Haruhi-sama.

My art album updated 11th May 2013, Science.
Deviant Art: http://ca0001.deviantart.com/
Old 2012-03-30, 09:48   Link #146
marvelB

Yeah, so far seastone hasn't been too effective as a weapon despite it basically being the OP world's kryptonite. I mean, even when Wiper used it against Eneru in Skypiea it didn't do any good since the thunder user just restarted his heart after being Rejected, anyway. I guess it's just plain better to use the substance for the purpose of trapping/immobilizing opponents rather than subduing them....
Old 2012-03-30, 10:21   Link #147
randomlex
In the eye of the storm

Seastone is really under-appreciated in One Piece. I'm surprised it hasn't been used more, seeing as it's stronger than steel and is a very effective weapon against DF users (and basically the only effective weapon against Logias if you don't have haki). After seeing Smoker's jutte, the seastone nets and the fight in Skypiea, I expected to see more of these weapons...
Old 2012-03-30, 11:07   Link #148
holypanl
Well Rounded Critic

Quote:
Originally Posted by marvelB View Post
Yeah, so far seastone hasn't been too effective as a weapon despite it basically being the OP world's kryptonite. I mean, even when Wiper used it against Eneru in Skypiea it didn't do any good since the thunder user just restarted his heart after being Rejected
It did work, and was effective for the purpose that it was meant to achieve. The flawed component was Viper because he wasn't ruthless enough to ensure that his opponent was doubtlessly dead.

Quote:
Originally Posted by randomlex View Post
Well, even if Law isn't the bad guy, he's still got some explaining to do about the capture of half of the Straw Hats - unless he wasn't aware of that and M acted on his own...
Not really, he is not bad, or good to our knowledge right now. He is simply self-interested.

And people, please stop expecting pirates, who are outlaws, robbers and international criminals by definition to have regard for the law. Trafalgar Law was sealed as a "bad person" from the day he decided to become a pirate, robbing people at sea and sinking merchant vessels.

First they went for communists: and I didn't speak out, not being a communist;
Then they came for trade unionists, and I said naught because I wasn't a trade unionist;
Then they came for the Jews: and I didn't speak out because I wasn't a Jew;

Then they came for me!
...and there was no one left to speak out for me.
Old 2012-03-30, 11:46   Link #149
ronin myael
lost ronin

Quote:
Originally Posted by randomlex View Post
Seastone is really under-appreciated in One Piece. I'm surprised it hasn't been used more, seeing as it's stronger than steel and is a very effective weapon against DF users (and basically the only effective weapon against Logias if you don't have haki). After seeing Smoker's jutte, the seastone nets and the fight in Skypiea, I expected to see more of these weapons...
i believe i already had this discussion before and most of the posters here agreed that seastone is only meant to subdue or imprison DF users rather than be used as offensive weapons since haki is known to be more effective against them anyway. i'm also hoping to see more weapons made from kairoseki. it just seemed like a waste to me if its use is limited to just handcuffs and nets. it is the kryptonite of DF users, after all.
Old 2012-03-30, 12:55   Link #150
holypanl
Well Rounded Critic

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronin myael View Post
...seastone is only meant to subdue or imprison DF users...
What...?

Quote:
rather than be used as offensive weapons since haki is known to be more effective against them anyway.
Sorry, but what???

First they went for communists: and I didn't speak out, not being a communist;
Then they came for trade unionists, and I said naught because I wasn't a trade unionist;
Then they came for the Jews: and I didn't speak out because I wasn't a Jew;

Then they came for me!
...and there was no one left to speak out for me.
Old 2012-03-30, 13:31   Link #151
golgo13

Quote:
Originally Posted by marvelB View Post
Y'know, upon closer consideration, I realized that so far, Smoker's ALWAYS gotten screwed over whenever he had a close encounter with the shichibukai:

-At Alabasta, he was unfortunate enough to get trapped in Crocodile's sea stone prison.

-At Marineford, not only did Hancock beat him up, she even destroyed his weapon (which was like, the only really effective offense he had at the time), and:

-The heart theft business with Law from this chapter.

Heh, I wonder if ol' Smokey hates the warlords because he's jealous of how much stronger/cleverer they are than him?
Yah smoker hasn't had much success with the "seven gods of pirates" :P

Actually the person he has had the most success with battling is Luffy! Ya sure there is buggy and a couple thugs and maybe even someone with bounty, but its mostly luffy where he shines.
Old 2012-03-30, 13:57   Link #152
randomlex
In the eye of the storm

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronin myael View Post
i believe i already had this discussion before and most of the posters here agreed that seastone is only meant to subdue or imprison DF users rather than be used as offensive weapons since haki is known to be more effective against them anyway. i'm also hoping to see more weapons made from kairoseki. it just seemed like a waste to me if its use is limited to just handcuffs and nets. it is the kryptonite of DF users, after all.
Yeah, arm all those low-rank marines with some seastone swords or juttes (or both ) and at least they'll have a chance of inflicting some damage on a DF user - during Enies Lobby, Luffy wouldn't have been able to just round them up by the hundreds, for example...

Quote:
Originally Posted by holypanl View Post
Not really, he is not bad, or good to our knowledge right now. He is simply self-interested.

And people, please stop expecting pirates, who are outlaws, robbers and international criminals by definition to have regard for the law. Trafalgar Law was sealed as a "bad person" from the day he decided to become a pirate, robbing people at sea and sinking merchant vessels.
Haha, yeah, I meant the "against the Straw Hats" kind of bad.

Also, rereading the chapters, I believe Law didn't know that the Straw Hats were kidnapped - the masked guys who took them in are working for M - in fact, I wouldn't be surprised if M didn't bother to tell Law that there even was a pirate ship near the other side of the island (probably thought his men could handle them)...
Old 2012-03-30, 18:22   Link #153
Undertaker

I don't even think M knew who they captured period, otherwise the Harpy won't have to show him the news about SH and M won't sound surprised by repeated SH.
Old 2012-03-30, 19:59   Link #154
Mateus

That Harpy...has a nice T-shirt So Law seems really quite powered (don't want to push it to say "overpowered") but time will tell how much of a match surgery DF will have against others who are more disciplined with their DF and/or Haki.
Old 2012-03-30, 20:10   Link #155
tminty1

Law's fruit is just tricky. Going into battle without full knowledge will not be good. Smoker seemed to know only the basics while it isn't really hard to figure out Smoker's full range of abilities.
Old 2012-03-30, 20:44   Link #156
Undertaker

Agree, Law's power is the type that unless you have prior dealing with, there is a good chance you'll get pawned no matter how strong you are.

Which bring the question for next chapter, will Law surprise attack Luffy or will they talk first first?
Old 2012-03-30, 22:43   Link #157
ronin myael
lost ronin

Quote:
Originally Posted by holypanl View Post
What...? Sorry, but what???
that's actually not my opinion. but that seems to be the general opinion in this thread when i mentioned the possibility of kairoseki weapons. i remember asking why oda hasn't really given us more weapons made of that stuff, most posters believe that it's not really needed. i don't really remember all the details because it was an old discussion.
Old 2012-03-30, 23:05   Link #158
Mateus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Undertaker View Post
Agree, Law's power is the type that unless you have prior dealing with, there is a good chance you'll get pawned no matter how strong you are.

Which bring the question for next chapter, will Law surprise attack Luffy or will they talk first first?
Which makes me wonder how Law would do against someone like Blackbeard who can suck enemies in with his yami yami powers (iirc). It just seems right now Law is (could) be unstopable (at least very dangerous), most definitely a wildcard.
Old 2012-03-31, 08:28   Link #159
golgo13

All this talk of good and bad makes me think of don flamingo. He summed it up nicely:

Spoiler for justice:

On another note. Its interesting that smoker says, "who is really behind this?". I wonder if he formed this opinion after seeing the children.
Old 2012-03-31, 09:41   Link #160
randomlex
In the eye of the storm

Smoker's DF is weaker than other Logias to begin with - in this fight, the only thing that would've been relatively effective was for him to turn full smoke and choke Law, which he didn't do, obviously. Otherwise, he pretty much has to use his fists or weapons to inflict any damage on opponents, unlike Ace's fire, Akainu's magma, Aokiji's ice and so on (hell, even Caribou could create projectiles from his mud if he wasn't a dumbass ).
Closed Thread