Notices

Old 2009-10-14, 12:32   Link #321
KK1412
JOEY! WHERE'S MY COFFEE!?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shiroth View Post
Both shows are by the same author.
it's ashamed we can't say the same about the artists

I would've liked it more if they used the image of Sieg Hart from Rave Master and put it on Gerard(Sieglein)
KK1412 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-10-14, 12:39   Link #322
Duo Maxwell
A Proud Lolicon

See what's happening here? People who come here with high expectation will be disappointed, and vice versa. Me? I have never had high hope for shounen manga adaption anime, and that helped a lot for a 1st ep.

Oh well, doesn't matter what everyone thinks, I'll still stick with this one.
Old 2009-10-14, 14:10   Link #323
Daniel E.
AniMexican!

I wasn't planning on watching this, but after telling my little nephew about the next big Naruto-Bleach-One Piece like anime, he pretty much forced me to download the first episode.
Old 2009-10-14, 17:11   Link #324
mangalowres
AS Mods Sandbag

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel E. View Post
I wasn't planning on watching this, but after telling my little nephew about the next big Naruto-Bleach-One Piece like anime, he pretty much forced me to download the first episode.
How sweet
Using your nephew as excuse :P
mangalowres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-10-14, 17:50   Link #325
Daniel E.
AniMexican!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mangalowres View Post
How sweet
Using your nephew as excuse :P
If you take into account that I have never watched One Piece and that I dropped the other two years ago, I'll say it's quite a believable one.

Didn't hate the episode, btw. But it doesn't strike me as something I could follow in the long run.
Old 2009-10-14, 20:06   Link #326
gonzo562

i enjoyed this episode i plan to follow this series. Hope does well
gonzo562 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-10-14, 20:37   Link #327
GarethXL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel E. View Post
If you take into account that I have never watched One Piece and that I dropped the other two years ago, I'll say it's quite a believable one.

Didn't hate the episode, btw. But it doesn't strike me as something I could follow in the long run.
have to agree here the pacing of the first episode is a little off and just doesn't get you hook on the series considering that it's a pilot ep, hell i would even go as far as to say that white album has a better first ep.
Old 2009-10-15, 00:06   Link #328
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

I'm no fan of Bleach, or One Piece, or Naruto or really any of the major Shounen archetypes - I suppose Soul Eater is about the only one I really watched all the way through. But I sort of liked that first episode. It had a fairly crisp edge to the humor and the characters didn't annoy me. I won't say it was genius, but I got more out of it than I expected.

Also - Tetsuya Kakihara is a very underrated seiyuu, IMHO. He almost always gets more out of the character than the lines on the page would dictate.
Guardian Enzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-10-15, 10:36   Link #329
acid_finger

The first episode was ok for a Shounen anime.

The main character didn't annoy me, which is already a plus. I also liked the animation and the character design.
My biggest preocupation every time i start watching a Shounen, is that somewhere along the way is almost 100% certain that a huge barrage of fillers will be presented to us.
acid_finger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-10-15, 11:45   Link #330
Forbin
I'm a sucker for Harem

It was a good episode. I was thinking more One Piece than Rave Master, but it was entertaining so I'll stick with it for a while.

1) By and Large...they are ** and *****.
2) What kind of girls do Anime Otaku males want? ..................... Female.
3) The odds are good, that the goods are odd.
Forbin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-10-16, 05:18   Link #331
Westlo
Lets be reality

Quote:
Originally Posted by p-kun View Post
And then everything went south. The direction was like a picture book as well, static, as if flipping pages of the book, flip flip flip. It's like reading the manga, except that the manga is miles better. Other that that, I believe the anime failed to capture the spirit of the manga: the energy, the spunkiness, the over the topness. Add in those stupid magic circles... I was cursing the director starting 5 minutes into the show to the end.
So your problem is it's too much like the manga? Yet when there's a change in it like the magic circles.. it's stupid? How's a director suppose to win sigh reminds me of some comments about Hayate 2 being too much like the manga yet you know if they had changed it manga fans would've bitched endlessly. Fairy Tail fans are making a mountain out of a molehill, you guys have nothing to complain about compared to FMA and Umineko fans.
Westlo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-10-16, 06:04   Link #332
mazinken

Quote:
Originally Posted by Westlo View Post
So your problem is it's too much like the manga? Yet when there's a change in it like the magic circles.. it's stupid? How's a director suppose to win sigh reminds me of some comments about Hayate 2 being too much like the manga yet you know if they had changed it manga fans would've bitched endlessly. Fairy Tail fans are making a mountain out of a molehill, you guys have nothing to complain about compared to FMA and Umineko fans.
It seems that you misunderstood him he didn't complaint because the episode is being the same as the manga because it is not he simply complained about the animation being very mediocre that some time the frames are to slow and give you an impression that you are seeing a picture from a book.

on the other hand FMA fans get an adaption that comes from one of the best studios in Japan with a very high quality in terms of animation and characters design that are more faithful to their manga counterpart and being faithful to the source material most of the time the only complaints with the show is that the studio is cutting some parts of the story but that's it.

While this episode give all the hint in the world that this show is not going to be a faithful adaption from characters design, facial expression, editing some stuff and removing other stuff and what confirm that this show is being more childish that they have removed the gunshot that was in the chapter.

It seems that you didn't read the manga but you didn't notice that most of the complaints are from manga reader.
mazinken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-10-16, 06:16   Link #333
Westlo
Lets be reality

Quote:
Originally Posted by mazinken View Post
It seems that you misunderstood him he didn't complaint because the episode is being the same as the manga because it is not he simply complained about the animation being very mediocre that some time the frames are to slow and give you an impression that you are seeing a picture from a book.
The animation was nowhere near that bad.

Quote:
on the other hand FMA fans get an adaption that comes from one of the best studios in Japan with a very high quality in terms of animation and characters design that are more faithful to their manga counterpart and being faithful to the source material most of the time the only complaints with the show is that the studio is cutting some parts of the story but that's it.
Personally cutting heaps of content is far worse to me than slightly different character designs but I guess not everyone has the same priorities

Also FMA and Soul Eater (both by Bones) wouldn't look as good as they do if they were going to run as long as One Piece and Naruto. A-1 can do animation much better than Fairy Tail, I think the animation quality is an indication of it being a long, long show. Or who knows maybe they are saving the "good" animation team for episodes that actually matter. Soul Eater 1 having the best animated fight in the series is rather lolz considering that fight is meaningless. Likewise if A-1 went all out on this fight and yet left the fights that are "better" with average animation... If there's one thing the Naruto anime did right, it was giving the key fights to Norio Matsumoto.

Quote:
While this episode give all the hint in the world that this show is not going to be a faithful adaption from characters design, facial expression, editing some stuff and removing other stuff and what confirm that this show is being more childish that they have removed the gunshot that was in the chapter.
And FMA had a filler episode for the first one, your complaints are trivial compared to FMA fans. Seriously facial expressions? Seriously now? You seem to think FMA is perfect yet it leaves out entire fights and lots of character moments and heavily condenses manga volumes. None of that will happen in Fairy Tail lol... especially if it's going to run for over 100 episodes..

Quote:
It seems that you didn't read the manga but you didn't notice that most of the complaints are from manga reader.
I've read 80 chapters before I decided to stop for a while to let the manga get way ahead.. since I prefer to read manga volumes worth of material at once instead of one chapter weekly.
Old 2009-10-16, 06:47   Link #334
Kafriel
Senior Guest

Quote:
The animation was nowhere near that bad.
Teh internetz can always exaggerate
Quote:
Seriously facial expressions? Seriously now?
Actually, that part was pretty bad, facial expressions are what give the story emotion, it would be a shame to have them chatting like that 3 arcs later.
Quote:
Also FMA and Soul Eater (both by Bones) wouldn't look as good as they do if they were going to run as long as One Piece and Naruto.
Seconded, long running shows can only live as long as some episodes are good and some are bad, you can't have an average or above animation quality every week...
Quote:
None of that will happen in Fairy Tail lol... especially if it's going to run for over 100 episodes..
I'm not sure if it will be long-running or not yet, afaik an official episode count is still amiss.
Kafriel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-10-16, 07:21   Link #335
mazinken

Okay so you are saying that soul eater and FMA have good anime because of their length and being handled by bones has nothing to do with it ? do you remember a show by the name of Rave Master it was only 51 episode and I can't even begin to complaint about how bad it was in terms of adaption, characters design and sloppy animation that doesn’t even compare to long running anime if this any indication what will become of fairy tail then most of the manga fans have every right to complain.

Any way I am glad that you had read the first 80 chapters and you will see how they are going to butcher this series.
mazinken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-10-16, 07:26   Link #336
Shiroth
Beautiful fighter.

Quote:
Any way I am glad that you had read the first 80 chapters and you will see how they are going to butcher this series.
I don't look at it as an adaptation, and see it as it's own telling of the story. That way i'll be able to enjoy each episode every week. Shame more people can't do that, and instead just keep going on about how it's butchering the manga, over and over again.
Old 2009-10-16, 07:32   Link #337
Von Himmel
エーレンフェストの聖女

Quote:
do you remember a show by the name of Rave Master it was only 51 episode
Not that many actually or was it just me ?

Haven't watch this anime yet, but I've seen some of the pictures. I must agree that the drawings are more inferior than the manga, but I don' t really care about that. It's actually pretty funny to watch, really

Too bad my download list are full so I can't really watch this one just yet >_>

Von Himmel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-10-16, 07:40   Link #338
Kafriel
Senior Guest

Quote:
Okay so you are saying that soul eater and FMA have good anime because of their length and being handled by bones has nothing to do with it ? do you remember a show by the name of Rave Master it was only 51 episode and I can't even begin to complaint about how bad it was in terms of adaption, characters design and sloppy animation that doesn’t even compare to long running anime if this any indication what will become of fairy tail then most of the manga fans have every right to complain.
RAVE was animated almost a decade ago, you can't possibly expect that and Soul Eater being of the same caliber...yes, BONES does a good job but I have to admit I haven't watched a long-running project from them, and I don't want to pick favourites now...if Rave was reanimated now, it would be a lot better no matter who got their hands on it.
Quote:
I don't look at it as an adaptation, and see it as it's own telling of the story. That way i'll be able to enjoy each episode every week. Shame more people can't do that, and instead just keep going on about how it's butchering the manga, over and over again.
It's fine by me, I welcome all changes to the plot, as long as it doesn't go way over the top or deteriorate into something cliche.
Kafriel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-10-16, 07:47   Link #339
Westlo
Lets be reality

Quote:
Okay so you are saying that soul eater and FMA have good anime because of their length and being handled by bones has nothing to do with it ?
Of course them being by Bones has something to do with it, Bones are probably the best in the business. But there's noway they would look as good as they do if they were as long as Naruto and One Piece. That's the point, Fairy Tail is more than likely not going to be 50 episodes, it should be a long running series, one scene in the the OP should clue you in that it should get fairly deep into the manga.

Quote:
do you remember a show by the name of Rave Master it was only 51 episode and I can't even begin to complaint about how bad it was in terms of adaption, characters design and sloppy animation that doesn’t even compare to long running anime if this any indication what will become of fairy tail then most of the manga fans have every right to complain.
Episode 1 of Rave Master was changed around way more than Fairy Tail. IIRC and it has been a long time, they even skipped like 2-3 manga chapters at the start, Haru being on that island with his sister etc. Rave Master/Fairy Tail mangaka said he went looking at which companies to adapt for Fairy Tail since he didn't like the treatment RM got, I doubt the same happens. And no this is nowhere near the same, don't even pretend it is.

Quote:
So far it's nothing compared to other shows I'm watching but if you guys want to try and take the whiniest fanbase title away from Umineko than by all means go for it. Believe me if something is butchered I'll complain about it, don't get me started on Umineko episode 12.. and Claymore's anime original ending..

Last edited by Westlo; 2009-10-16 at 07:57.
Old 2009-10-16, 08:38   Link #340
Eclipze

Quote:
Originally Posted by Westlo View Post
Also FMA and Soul Eater (both by Bones) wouldn't look as good as they do if they were going to run as long as One Piece and Naruto.
Wasn't there talks about Brotherhood going beyond 50 eps? I mean yea, it wont be nearly as long as OP/Naruto/Bleach etc, but its not like Fairy Tail is confirmed to be going the OP/Naruto/Bleach route. Not yet at least.

Which anime did Fairy Tail replace btw?
Eclipze is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
action, adventure, fantasy, shounen