AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2011-01-14, 12:55   Link #221
Klashikari
阿賀野型3番艦、矢矧 Lv180
*Graphic Designer

This episode was... well, particularly slow, uneventful but more importantly: quite disjointed.
I dunno, while Episode 1 was sort of ok (with just major issues with animation and close ups), this episode was tedious to finish as... it was a borefest (Can't tell which between Fractale or that episode takes the cake but well).

This issue was quite evident at the start as the mood shifted to a gloomy one, plastered everywhere to the point it was screaming "forced".
It is sure interesting to have some glimpse of Merry's personality other than her easy going one, but honestly, it is disjointed and not exactly exploited very well.

Meanwhile, this "sub plot" with Serio and his vessel was the only reminder that "something wrong is going to happen", but it was basically drown with many other unrelated scenes that the storytelling was plainly jarring.

Honestly, they need to weave more character interactions and exposition regarding the deal with the dream world, because at this rate, the plot itself will just scatter into various sub plots leading to... actually nothing to care about.
Old 2011-01-14, 13:12   Link #222
Seihai
スマイリウム

I like disjointed parts as long as I can somehow connect them in the end and they make sense. So far the atmosphere is very much likable, specifically the feeling I get from Merry. For some reason I find her to be similar to Avenger's Layla, of course, moe-fied. She especially reminds me of Layla when I look at the OP scenes with Merry's lonely wandering expressions.
Old 2011-01-14, 13:42   Link #223
Tsuyukusa
King of Carrot Flowers

I think this episode was intended to introduce other characters and subplots. They're, in all likeliness, going to come together in the end.
Tsuyukusa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-01-14, 14:22   Link #224
Wakan Tanka

Another suspicious thing, is Merry saying twice that she's never tasted anything delicious like "this"..it even got Yumeji thinking..

Yumi seemed to have somehow lost her memory..she left her bag and scattered books behind..
Old 2011-01-14, 16:30   Link #225
Nikkan

Quick question: Who is the dad's voice actor? (I thought it sounded like Keiji Fujiwara, but I'm not sure?)
Nikkan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-01-14, 16:39   Link #226
I_am_Kami
Disabled By Request

The art for the characters look familiar.

You know the thing about this show is the Characters are HD but the background is like a painted one u'd see from old shows.
I_am_Kami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-01-14, 16:47   Link #227
Blaat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yumii-chan View Post
Quick question: Who is the dad's voice actor? (I thought it sounded like Keiji Fujiwara, but I'm not sure?)
It's definitely Keiji Fujiwara.
Quote:
Originally Posted by I_am_Kami View Post
The art for the characters look familiar.
It's the same character design used in Okamisan.
Old 2011-01-14, 16:47   Link #228
Haak
Me, An Intellectual

I'm still not sure about this show. I guess may be because I have no idea where it's going.
Haak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-01-14, 19:58   Link #229
Xion Valkyrie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haak View Post
I'm still not sure about this show. I guess may be because I have no idea where it's going.
That's actually a plus in my book.

Anyways, feels a lot like Shakugan no Shaha, except without the annoying characters.
Xion Valkyrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-01-14, 20:46   Link #230
orion
Waiting for more taiyuki!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Voinic View Post
Another suspicious thing, is Merry saying twice that she's never tasted anything delicious like "this"..it even got Yumeji thinking..

Yumi seemed to have somehow lost her memory..she left her bag and scattered books behind..
It made me wonder in the whose dream was it really to become a nurse. If it was Yumi's, then you'd think that she would remember to pick up her belongings. If it was Serio's, then it made sense that once Serio was "disconnected" from Yumi that she wouldn't be interested anymore.
Old 2011-01-14, 21:11   Link #231
Stefkov

I thought the animation was poor in this episode. None of the mouth movements looked like they were actually in time with the words being spoken. It's a shame because I really thought the first episode was quite good.

Suddenly a red haired girl appears and we get to see her break at the end, maybe she was taken over by this chain thing in the dream, which is a shame (damn my preference for any red haired girl, I hope she gets better). My guess is it's the transfer student's doing although I'm not sure why.
I'm a little confused at what's happening but I like that.

I have to agree with what someone said earlier, that teacher does seem a little strange.
I'm more interested in the dad. Where did that scar come from? My guess is it happened in a dream and he has some knowledge of the dream world maybe. I thought it was strange the way he acted with Merry around but that might be how he always acts.
Stefkov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-01-14, 21:19   Link #232
Shyne

I think outside of some animation its hard to say where the plot is heading, but its not the end of the series yet so I'm not going to judge it just yet.

Shyne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-01-14, 21:21   Link #233
ars89
One-Eyed Dragon

Are Yumeji, Isana, and Isana's father the only ones that can see Merry, or can everyone see her? I thought first it was only Yumeji but after this ep i had to include the other 2.
Old 2011-01-14, 22:04   Link #234
Tempester
Japanese Culture Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by ars89 View Post
Are Yumeji, Isana, and Isana's father the only ones that can see Merry, or can everyone see her? I thought first it was only Yumeji but after this ep i had to include the other 2.
My guess is that she has been visible to everyone from the beginning. The scenes in episode 1 with the selective monochrome was probably used to show how Merry had distanced herself from the real world. Also, it's Japan, where people tend to mind their own business and not stare too long at the odd teenager in skimpy, colorful clothing.
Tempester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-01-14, 22:05   Link #235
Haru~
My Lovely Bunny Chie

Watched 2 episodes and I think the animation is very good, showing better parts of showing the characters emotions, especially the tears of Merry.
Plots are not yet established, as the dreams and realities, there is still something missing. Maybe episode 3 will answer some.
As for the characters, I liked Merry a lot, because of her mysterious background, her lonely life, her fierce face, her cute innocent face when she discovered something, her clothes, her hat and her HOT body. Damn, DAT STOMACH.
Why do I feel I want to ship Yumeji X Merry even though it's only the second episode?
Old 2011-01-14, 22:20   Link #236
Tempester
Japanese Culture Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haru~ View Post
Damn, DAT STOMACH.
I don't recall Merry getting eviscerated in this episode. Oh dear....
Old 2011-01-14, 22:23   Link #237
jedinat

stom·ach (stmk)
n.
a. The enlarged, saclike portion of the alimentary canal, one of the principal organs of digestion, located in vertebrates between the esophagus and the small intestine.
b. A similar digestive structure of many invertebrates.
c. Any of the four compartments into which the stomach of a ruminant is divided.
2. The abdomen or belly.

jedinat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-01-14, 22:42   Link #238
Tempester
Japanese Culture Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by jedinat View Post
stom·ach (stmk)
n.
a. The enlarged, saclike portion of the alimentary canal, one of the principal organs of digestion, located in vertebrates between the esophagus and the small intestine.
b. A similar digestive structure of many invertebrates.
c. Any of the four compartments into which the stomach of a ruminant is divided.
2. The abdomen or belly.

Whoops. My bad. My sciences must be clouding my common word knowledge.
Old 2011-01-14, 23:06   Link #239
Essa Maneira
Tsukiko! ♥

Quote:
Originally Posted by Voinic View Post

maybe thats what happened to Merry in the beginning of ep 1, lost her own memory... or something else happened..

HALA MADRID!
Essa Maneira is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-01-14, 23:28   Link #240
Cabrini6000

Spoiler for Review.:

Anime-Planet.com - anime | manga | reviews
Cabrini6000 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fantasy, seinen