AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > Video Games

Notices

Old 2006-05-27, 17:54   Link #1
Jinsoo
KAGEYAMA!!!
*Artist

Send a message via AIM to Jinsoo Send a message via MSN to Jinsoo
Pump it Up

I've searched around but found no thread so...

Pump it Up is a Korean dance game similar to DDR except it has diagonals and a square in the middle. It sounds hard but it's actually much easier than DDR is. It's also much easier to freestyle

So has anyone played this game? It's pretty fun. I'm still a novice at it though but I could do some songs in hard mode D:
Jinsoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-05-27, 20:03   Link #2
OutPhase
Lord Chairman God King

Send a message via AIM to OutPhase
Pump It Up: It just might be the only dancing game that might actually matter to me anymore. To be perfectly honest, I am currently downloading a file with all the new songs in the newest AC release, Zero.

I have only a few complaints about PIU, and they include that there is no BG brightness setting in the home version and that tha ratings of songs can be questioned. Moonlight CZ (18) and Slam CZ (15) deserve higher ratings. I mean, if I can "A" Beat of the War 2 CZ which is a 17, I should not get a C, D or, or an F on a so-called "15". Moonlight should be a 19 and Slam an 18. I mean, I can't even A the beast in the home version, and yet I can A Canon-D CZ. It makes you question the learning curve.

Aside from that, it fairs better off than DDR that has steps than I could make in less than 10 minutes and ITG just wanting to be retardedly hard and having songs that go on forver. Yes, PIU is exhausting, but at least it's not climbing a dang mountain. You need skill, speed, and stamina rather than just speed and stamina. 4 panels are pretty straight-forward, but PIU has wide doors opened to making unforgiving crossovers, therefore giving you a reason to play and get better.

Then we have the two-pad mode, which costs the same as using one-panel, and you can switch between the modes in the same game. Although I have only played freestyle a few times, I found it nea, and would play it more except that the arcade puts it ina an angle that confuses you once you crossover to theother pad and that it's a Dave & Buster's, a place I cannot enter because I'm not 21. I miss Jillian's so much, but now we have it's meaner, stricter, and more elitist brother who bought it out.
OutPhase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-05-27, 20:31   Link #3
Jinsoo
KAGEYAMA!!!
*Artist

Fweh, I was beginning to think I was the only one that's played PIU ;o

Yeah, some of the ratings are a little off x_X; I don't get how I can get an A on a song that's a high rating compared to a low one.

And playing DDR in the harder modes makes you look like you're having a seizure lol If you've got skills in PIU, then it looks more like dancing :3

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DEXrtThJoZQ
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=daho7JCE-38
Old 2006-05-27, 22:02   Link #4
OutPhase
Lord Chairman God King

We have freestylers, and then we have the speeders.
Old 2006-05-27, 22:25   Link #5
Jinsoo
KAGEYAMA!!!
*Artist

I wonder if they either smoked something or drinked a ton of red bull before doing that ;o

Frickin' crazy yo
Old 2006-05-27, 23:50   Link #6
Wolfwood2970

yeah ive played it twice....

its pretty fun i enjoyed it but I never really got into it or got used to the directional pads

a place nearby is getting a PIU:Zero cabinent so i'll probably play it a bit more

my views on it

yeah its easier to freestyle on it because
A) more space because of the spread out directional steps
B) bigger timing window

although PUI is fun it definently has a huge timing window so its something i'd probably play for fun but never really get serious about
Wolfwood2970 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-05-28, 08:17   Link #7
OutPhase
Lord Chairman God King

Despite it being a lot harder than DDR or ITG, the fanbase seems a it more lax. I have yet to see anyone say "OMGWTF 1 GREAT ON DIGNITY NM!? THIS GAME IS FIXED" or other elitist what-not, which is more than I can say for some of the DDR fanbase. I have also met a lot more friendly PIU players then the other dancing game players, but that's probably just me.
Old 2006-05-28, 08:23   Link #8
JanthraX^
Ace Archer

i play these dance games with plenty of friends and its usually for a laugh a few of my friends are very good tho,

im just wondering how you play them at home, i have a ps2 and i have seen the dance mats and DDR ps2 game, however is there a pump it up release for ps2?

Also another nubbish question but what is freestyling, there isnt much freedom as you have to follow the steps on screen or am I assuming wrongly here?
JanthraX^ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-05-28, 08:31   Link #9
OutPhase
Lord Chairman God King

Yes, there is a PS2 release, as well as an X-box release.

Freestyling is just doing flashy moves while hitting the arrows in the song. You know, moon-walking, handplants, starting the song by jumping over the bar.
Old 2008-01-27, 01:06   Link #10
marth1244
BanYa

Send a message via MSN to marth1244
Have you seen or played PIU?

Theres a game called Pump It Up thats like ddr but totally funner!!
It has 4 diagonal arrows and one center button!
Most people recognize it for seeing it once at some arcade~The unholy PIU PRO!!
Some ppl know of it B4 like the PIU NX or PIU Zero
If you have ever played it or just wanna Shout out a song you like just say so here!!
marth1244 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-01-27, 01:18   Link #11
Aoie_Emesai
♪♫ Maya Iincho ♩♬
*Artist

Send a message via Yahoo to Aoie_Emesai
Yeah. Too bad the dance pads degrades too easily. All of my dancepads, which I have gone through 4 of them already. Usually the bottom right step breaks / stops functioning first. I'm getting tired of buying those crappy pads all the time.

How to Give / Receive Criticism on your work / Like to draw? Come join Artists Alike
Visit my Deviantart Or Blog ~A Child should always surpass his/her parent, Remember.
Aoie_Emesai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-02-08, 04:29   Link #12
marth1244
BanYa

Send a message via MSN to marth1244
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aoie_Emesai View Post
Yeah. Too bad the dance pads degrades too easily. All of my dancepads, which I have gone through 4 of them already. Usually the bottom right step breaks / stops functioning first. I'm getting tired of buying those crappy pads all the time.
Lol i play them at arcades considering my location.
I so H8 the home version.
You cant even freestyle, lol 1 pad.
Find at your local arcades if the have PUMP IT UP PRO. the new arcade version realese for the US only.
marth1244 is offline   Reply With Quote