AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired M-Z > Nanoha/Vivid Franchise

Notices

Old 2010-01-06, 20:30   Link #1521
Noe
HARDCORE Fate addict™

Send a message via AIM to Noe Send a message via MSN to Noe
If you don't want to, it's fine. I can wait patiently. Lost myself to temptation there.

ALL HAIL FATE T. HARLAOWN!
#Feitoism @ irc.rizon.net to revere, share, and cherish Fate Testarossa Harlaown.
My blog
Noe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-01-06, 20:37   Link #1522
Thunderbird
IS: Liar's Mask
*Author

I haven't even seen it yet myself so please don't put up high expectations ><

Thunderbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-01-06, 20:46   Link #1523
RadiantBeam
Test Drive
*Author

Send a message via AIM to RadiantBeam
You're going to go see the midnight showing, right?
Old 2010-01-06, 20:53   Link #1524
TheShinySword
Master of the Shiny Crack
*Author

Send a message via AIM to TheShinySword Send a message via MSN to TheShinySword
Quote:
Originally Posted by RadiantBeam View Post
You're going to go see the midnight showing, right?
Somehow I now have the image of TB going to a midnight showing of the Nanoha movie... Rocky Horror Picture midnight showing style.

You better get your ferrets, ribbons and giant pink lasers ready.
TheShinySword is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-01-06, 22:33   Link #1525
Tempy
Σ(。д°(o--(ಠ益ಠ )
*Author

She's just a sweet transvestite...

From transsexual...

Mid-Childaaaa~ Ha haa~!
Old 2010-01-07, 05:38   Link #1526
Keroko
Adeptus Animus
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tempest Dynasty View Post
I would prefer PMs, as some people may be dimwitted enough to hit the spoiler tags then read it through, resulting in indignant rage.

Granted it'd be their fault, but the temptation can be pretty strong.
I'd have to disagree here. Complaining that a thread created to discuss the movie reveals spoilers about the movie is like complaining that an episode thread reveals spoilers about the episode, or a manga thread revealing spoilers about the manga. If you don't want to be spoiled, don't visit the thread that was clearly created for the purpose of discussing it.

Now taking movie spoilers to the manga thread, that shouldn't be done. But if the movie is released, what should those who wish to discuss it do? Twiddle their thumbs? Hold PM conversations between who-knows-how-many people?

Kind of redundant with a thread right here, don't you think?
Keroko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-01-07, 14:54   Link #1527
Tempy
Σ(。д°(o--(ಠ益ಠ )
*Author

So, what, then most of the forum goers and I should avoid/ignore the thread entirely? I'm not trying to be unreasonable, but the ratio of those who can see it and those who can't is pretty lopsided.

Perhaps avoiding the thread can be said when the media is available to everyone, they just don't have it yet. But a movie seen only in Japan? It's like the Kara no Kyokai conundrum again, except those got released and translated crazy fast. Here, many of us will be kept in the dark while a small group gets to squee over the movie's contents. I feel it's a bit unfair that the only ones that can discuss the movie are the rare few that went to see it in Japan and those uncaring for spoilers.
Old 2010-01-07, 15:01   Link #1528
Keroko
Adeptus Animus
*Author

Not hitting the spoiler tags seems like a good compromise. If someone opens the tags, it's very much their own fault. I am not trying to be unreasonable either, remember I am on the same side of the fence as you are when it comes to being able to see the movie, but preventing people from posting about the movie in the very thread created for the movie just because you don't want to be spoiled? That's beyond selfish.
Old 2010-01-07, 15:02   Link #1529
spawnofthejudge
Explodes when thrown
*IT Support

People who've seen the movie should use the discussion thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by xris View Post
A discussion thread (with poll) will be created when the movie is actually released (AnimeSuki would consider it currently as unlicensed) so please use this thread to discuss your expectations of the announced movie.
Old 2010-01-07, 15:03   Link #1530
Keroko
Adeptus Animus
*Author

Ah, forgot about that. That's even better.
Old 2010-01-07, 15:07   Link #1531
Tempy
Σ(。д°(o--(ಠ益ಠ )
*Author

I'm hardly being selfish. I think I'm one of the few that isn't really interested in seeing the movie. However I was worried for others that may feel alienated now that like, four people want to talk about a movie that majority of others can't for a long time.

But since looking out for others isn't my best part, I'll just go back to my writing hole.

And yeah, movie discussion goes to the right thread, not this one.
Old 2010-01-07, 16:13   Link #1532
Keroko
Adeptus Animus
*Author

Well, I probably should have said that I consider it selfish. After all, nobody had a problem happily chatting away about the episodes of StrikerS back when the subs were taking a while.
Old 2010-01-07, 16:16   Link #1533
RadiantBeam
Test Drive
*Author

Send a message via AIM to RadiantBeam
I don't really see the problem with letting spoilers about the movie leak into the thread. That's what it's here for anyway, and it's not like you have to open the spoiler tags to read what's been posted. Besides, more spoilers we have the more we can speculate about the movie.
Old 2010-01-07, 16:59   Link #1534
xris
Just call me Ojisan

I'm not that familiar with the movie or what the contents may be but reading the recent posts there seems to be some confusion as to the purpose of this thread.
Quote:
Originally Posted by xris View Post
A discussion thread (with poll) will be created when the movie is actually released (AnimeSuki would consider it currently as unlicensed) so please use this thread to discuss your expectations of the announced movie.
In other words, this thread should really be about the expectations and speculation of the forthcoming movie. I think that posting content of the actual movie would be rather inconsiderate to those who haven't yet seen it (even if you do use spoiler tags).

It's not as if you are not going to be allowed to discuss the actual movie, it's just that this thread would be the wrong place to do so. As mentioned, discussion about the actual movie should take place in the Movie Discussion thread (which at this point in time doesn't exist).

When is the movie due for release? If it is soon then we can create an appropriate Movie Discussion thread and leave this thread for expectations and speculation

Edit: I see the release date is the 23rd Jan. So it is a bit early for the Movie Discussion thread to be created.
xris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-01-13, 02:07   Link #1535
Andy00

Emo Devil's Advocate

My two cents.

I think having Nanoha be "emo" is a strike of genius.

Even in the Triangle Hearts 3 series, for some bizarre reason, Nanoha was always left alone. For some reason, there was _no_ indication that she was ever involved in the family side business or even the dojo. (Rivals who fought against other hid it when she came by.) Heck, even if it were just katas and kiai, Martial Artists include kids in stuff. Heck, kids learn breathing techniques better than adults do. (Maybe Triangle Heart Nanoha had a chi defect? But magic came naturally.)

Nothing. NONE of that stuff was taught to her. It's as if the Takamachi clan decided that she would be "normal", thinking they were doing her a favor. But the problem was, they were so busy giving her a "normal" life (perhaps partly due to being scared by her father's near death experience in the Nanoha-verse) that they set her apart from the rest of the family. Born from a family of assassins, she wasn't quite "right" with them, nor was she quite "right" with her friends; no matter how dang hard she tried.

In the first season of her own series she walked outside at night and nobody asked. She disappeared for weeks, and nobody asked. She has this burning sense of power (mana) within her, but the cultural expectation that she should just be a little girl and just be happy with the things little girls should be happy with. She wasn't. Something was wrong.

And somewhere in her teens? She gets a chance to leave EVERYTHING. Goodbye Earth. Goodbye normal School. Goodbye all of the trappings of her formal life (is she still listed as a Japanese citizen, or was she "disappeared" by the TSAB?); she takes off running out of this world and lives in another planet permanently. She still visits her family; she's not angry with them. But she doesn't need them. She needed something else. And she found it, and it gave her great joy.

It makes sense. It makes sense that maybe, just maybe the all smiles girl might express discontent when she's absolutely sure no one else is around. (Thus not burdening them.) "Emo" Nanoha explains her later actions in the series as well. Pushing herself to the breaking limit just before StrikerS.

It's bloody brilliant.
Andy00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-01-13, 10:18   Link #1536
MeisterBabylon
~ Your Smile ~
*Author

...almost had me right there!

I'll construct a proper reply once I stop multitasking LIVE FIGHTER and my forum clearing.
Old 2010-01-13, 10:40   Link #1537
LoweGear
Secret Society BLANKET
*Graphic Designer

Well, it's not the reason she's emo that has most people riled up actually, it's the age at which said level of emotional outburst manifests that's quite strange. People can get children getting tantrums or raging for all manner of things, but a 9-year old screaming her lungs out because she doesn't know what to do with her life is something that stretches the credulity of most people here. If she was say, 16 on the other hand...

Against all the evil that hell can conjure, all wickedness that mankind can produce... We will send unto them, only you.
LoweGear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-01-13, 10:46   Link #1538
Nya~n
umbrella moe~♥

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeisterBabylon View Post
I'll construct a proper reply once I stop multitasking LIVE FIGHTER and my forum clearing.
LIVE FIGHTER? multitasking? you cannot multitask with Live Fighter - you need to watch it and drink it all in all its entirety. and wait... you have Red Side?!
Old 2010-01-13, 10:52   Link #1539
Keroko
Adeptus Animus
*Author

For me, it's not even the age, it's the 180 they pull with her personality.
Old 2010-01-13, 12:51   Link #1540
Nina.Wolken
~~N/F~~

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keroko View Post
For me, it's not even the age, it's the 180 they pull with her personality.
As Andy00 put quite brilliantly, Nanoha was always quite weak mentally speaking, at least before to develop her magic talents, or at least we can assume that she was due to her family behavior and her surrending where she couldn't find a place for her.
I don't see any 180 here .

Tags
movie