AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Current Series > Gundam

Notices

Old 2013-05-10, 02:37   Link #29681
Skye629

Quote:
Originally Posted by maknaedik View Post
Well you can use white, but I hope that it's close, or better if it's the same, kind of white.
Do you know if paint goes over putty well? If its not the same I could always try to use a light coat of white gundam marker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Obelisk ze Tormentor View Post
I know . I'm just sharing it.
I will definitely take note of this the next time I try to be rid of an irritating feature
Skye629 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-05-10, 07:41   Link #29682
Chiu_fan
Panzer Vor!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skye629 View Post
On a gunpla related note, how easy is it to get good even angles with putty?
It's not that hard really. You just have to sand it carefully and constantly check alignments. What tool do you use in sanding, File or Sandpaper?

Quote:
Do you know if paint goes over putty well?
Depends on the putty your using. I advise trying it out on a sample first, then try painting it. But usually paint adheres to putty. And on an added note: make sure that the putty you applied is smooth or else you'll see something you won't like.
Old 2013-05-10, 09:16   Link #29683
bio9205
Reborn

Anyone have any idea how to tighten the poly cap ball joints found on many 00/SD kits, e.g. the skirt and hip joints of Arios? They keep falling off and it's really annoying.
bio9205 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-05-10, 09:36   Link #29684
StrikeFreedomV2
Super Striker

Quote:
Originally Posted by bio9205 View Post
Anyone have any idea how to tighten the poly cap ball joints found on many 00/SD kits, e.g. the skirt and hip joints of Arios? They keep falling off and it's really annoying.
I usually use a bit of superglue on the polycap. Works well enough for me.
StrikeFreedomV2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-05-10, 10:00   Link #29685
maknaedik

Quote:
Originally Posted by StrikeFreedomV2 View Post
I second this! Works wonders!

Quote:
Do you know if paint goes over putty well? If its not the same I could always try to use a light coat of white gundam marker
I think a gundam marker could work as I'm using it, but my marker's not the same white as the usual white so I have a bit of problem on it.

Red Gunpla Reviews: http://redblondemean.wordpress.com

My Personal Blog: http://cmgaddict.wordpress.com
maknaedik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-05-10, 11:04   Link #29686
Akyra

Following on from the polycap solution, anyone here have the MG Strike Freedom?

I've screwed up one of the wings and it's now really really lose (keeps falling off).

I don't want to you use superglue because that will mean the wings are stuck forever...any other solutions?
Akyra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-05-10, 11:09   Link #29687
maknaedik

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akyra View Post
Following on from the polycap solution, anyone here have the MG Strike Freedom?

I've screwed up one of the wings and it's now really really lose (keeps falling off).

I don't want to you use superglue because that will mean the wings are stuck forever...any other solutions?
Nope, the superglue solution isn't what you thought it is. The superglue solution meant this:

1st: Put a small amount of superglue on the polycap.
2nd: Let it dry. NOTE: Don't put the polycap yet!
3rd: After drying, put it back and wala, it's now tight again. In some cases, it'll even get tighter.

The dried superglue will make the whole connection more secure

Old 2013-05-10, 11:42   Link #29688
helois

let's red team!

thanks for the advices..
now i've to find the time to buy them..
helois is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-05-10, 14:38   Link #29689
Skye629

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chiu_fan View Post
It's not that hard really. You just have to sand it carefully and constantly check alignments. What tool do you use in sanding, File or Sandpaper?

Depends on the putty your using. I advise trying it out on a sample first, then try painting it. But usually paint adheres to putty. And on an added note: make sure that the putty you applied is smooth or else you'll see something you won't like.
Both, though I got better variety with sandpaper in terms of grit. Kk Ill give it a shot, was planning to use my HG SF as a practice sample

Quote:
Originally Posted by StrikeFreedomV2 View Post
Directly on the poly cap? Can we also use plastic cement from MrHobby (the thin liquid type)? I really need to fix up my harute with this, its driving me crazy trying to stand it up

Quote:
I second this! Works wonders

I think a gundam marker could work as I'm using it, but my marker's not the same white as the usual white so I have a bit of problem on it.
Hmmm I got several white paint markers of various brands, Ill give them all a shot
Old 2013-05-10, 15:20   Link #29690
StrikeFreedomV2
Super Striker

Just a tiny bit on the polycap, let it try and then put the pieces toghether again. If its still loose, then repeat the steps, until its stable. Hope that helps
StrikeFreedomV2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-05-10, 20:49   Link #29691
suiton629
Master Grade Master

I have a question..

Has anyone encountered that big issue with the MG Age-1 Normal where the little peg pieces on the waist section break off? It happened to me the first time I built the MG Age-1 Normal, but since then I got another one and I have yet to built the Sparrow, Titus, Age-2 Normal, and Age-2 Darkhound.

Can anyone else tell me if this is a problem with the other kits?
Old 2013-05-10, 20:56   Link #29692
Skye629

http://gundamguy.blogspot.com/2013/0...l#comment-form

New MG line/evolution?

Thoughts/predictions?
Old 2013-05-10, 21:11   Link #29693
bio9205
Reborn

I see, thanks! I wasn't sure the super glue trick worked on polycap ball joints as well. I think I'd better stay away from kits that have polycap ball joints from now on, they're annoying the hell out of me... I'm glad HGUC kits don't use them often.
Old 2013-05-10, 23:26   Link #29694
maknaedik

Quote:
http://gundamguy.blogspot.com/2013/0...l#comment-form

New MG line/evolution?

Thoughts/predictions?
Some suspect the integration of RG awesomeness to the MG line. It can happen, a new line of MG to replace PGs. But I don't agree if all the MGs will get this treatment. I still prefer the looks of MG than the funky look of RGs.

Old 2013-05-11, 02:25   Link #29695
Skye629

Quote:
Some suspect the integration of RG awesomeness to the MG line. It can happen, a new line of MG to replace PGs. But I don't agree if all the MGs will get this treatment. I still prefer the looks of MG than the funky look of RGs.
It would be funny if all this was just a MG logo design update

XD
Old 2013-05-11, 04:04   Link #29696
Appel

Quote:
It would be funny if all this was just a MG logo design update

XD
Well the current logo sucks so that would probably be a massive improvement XD
Just kidding.

I am super curious to see what they came up with. It definitely is likely that they are gonna "combine" the RG and the MG line in some way and enhance the level of detail and articulation even further.
My guess is that the Nu Ver.Ka was already a step in that direction and that they are gonna push it even further with a new MG line.
Appel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-05-11, 05:04   Link #29697
StratoSpear
Titans Test Team Pilot

Just completed my last backlog kit, the Banshee (DesMod), but still, THE VENT STICKERS MAN! Now I'm eyeing the one kit I should've bought a looong time ago, the RX-78-2. Never bought a kit of it before (I know, it's a crime) so I'm gunning for an MG of it.

Would the OYW Ver. be a good choice? Frankly speaking, I'm trying not to get the 2.0 since I'm not really in favour of it's TV-accurate appearance.
Old 2013-05-11, 05:14   Link #29698
Appel

Quote:
Originally Posted by StratoSpear View Post
Just completed my last backlog kit, the Banshee (DesMod), but still, THE VENT STICKERS MAN! Now I'm eyeing the one kit I should've bought a looong time ago, the RX-78-2. Never bought a kit of it before (I know, it's a crime) so I'm gunning for an MG of it.

Would the OYW Ver. be a good choice? Frankly speaking, I'm trying not to get the 2.0 since I'm not really in favour of it's TV-accurate appearance.
I think it depends on what kind of kit you want. From what I have seen the OYW seems to look better while the 2.0 seems to be the supperior kit overall in terms of complexity.
And since I have built the 2.0 myself I would always recommend it. It's a spectecular model!

As for what I have said above about the new MGs, I think rrobbert on Youtube made a good point against what I said... If they really did incorporate RG stuff into the MG line that would sort of make the Master Grades redundant because they would just be "1/100 scalce RGs".
That just makes me even more curious about what the new kits are gonna be like.
Appel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-05-11, 05:32   Link #29699
Obelisk ze Tormentor
Black Steel Knight

Quote:
Originally Posted by StratoSpear View Post
To be brief:

If you like realistic and sophisticated looks -> buy OYW version

If you like the anime’s simplistic looks -> buy the 2.0 version

IMO Even if the 2.0 is a better kit in terms of build and articulation, it’s not worth it if you don’t like the looks . Also, OYW is not really that far below the newer 2.0 version. MG OYW is still a very good kit.

Last edited by Obelisk ze Tormentor; 2013-05-11 at 23:42.
Obelisk ze Tormentor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-05-11, 22:25   Link #29700
bio9205
Reborn

I've encountered another problem (balljoints hate me I swear) - this time with my almost completed HGUC Sazabi. This time it's the opposite, a plastic ball and polycap cup type of joint. Was connecting the legs to the hip joint, when one of them was extremely loose and kept falling off. I tried the super glue trick, but it doesn't seem to help. I'm not sure what the problem is - looking at it, I think it's possible that 1) the ball is too big, or 2) I unintentionally warped the polycap cup while forcing it onto the balljoint such that it can no longer grip well onto the ball. Any ideas?

EDIT: Realized that the problem isn't just that the ball joint is loose - the polycap just doesn't fit the ball. Just sanded off a bit off the ball, will try another layer of superglue and see how it goes. It's annoying the hell out of me, just when I was so happy to complete my Sazabi.

Last edited by bio9205; 2013-05-12 at 03:14.

Tags
gundam, gunpla, model kit, toy