AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Light Novels

Notices

Old 2012-12-23, 09:39   Link #1721
draxdeveloper

I kind o understand why Haru don't believe in KYH and Chiyu declarations, he fears that in the end is just a big, troll, cruel joke
draxdeveloper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-12-23, 09:47   Link #1722
Ray
Garnet

Quote:
Originally Posted by judasmartel View Post
Of course I am joking. What I'm saying is, 99% of anime have thin guys for MCs. I think it was about damn time to have a fat MC for a change, because thin MC is too mainstream. And yet people preach like Kirito is the savior of 2010's anime and all future anime MCs should be patterned after him or else they will be bashed as weak MCs.
Oh, my apologies then. I just assumed you were being serious because I've spoken to people who said similar things and were being serious.

But yeah, I know what you're saying and I agree with you. It's always nice to have variety.
Ray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-12-23, 10:29   Link #1723
Sunder the Gold

The difference is split anyway, since Silver Crow is lanky and (relatively) tall.
Sunder the Gold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-12-23, 11:32   Link #1724
judasmartel
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by draxdeveloper View Post
I kind o understand why Haru don't believe in KYH and Chiyu declarations, he fears that in the end is just a big, troll, cruel joke
Indeed. When things suddenly go your way after pretty much your entire life sucked, you can't help but be skeptical. Anyone who suddenly gets optimistic when this happens to them is simply not human.
judasmartel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-12-23, 12:13   Link #1725
Sunder the Gold

Twice burned, everafter shy.
Old 2012-12-23, 12:32   Link #1726
judasmartel
*Author

And now Haru has to learn that he can't be shy ever after. Somehow, he has to get out of his shell and be more confident about himself. But then again, only time can tell when he's finally going to do it.
Old 2012-12-23, 13:12   Link #1727
draxdeveloper

Quote:
And now Haru has to learn that he can't be shy ever after. Somehow, he has to get out of his shell and be more confident about himself. But then again, only time can tell when he's finally going to do it.
Speaking of time... Why they don't just jump the time?
Old 2012-12-23, 14:01   Link #1728
Sunder the Gold

I hate timeskips for the same reason that I hate missing the middle third of a series.

All that character development that should have happened, but inexplicably didnt, or did happen, but we never see it.
Old 2012-12-23, 19:21   Link #1729
judasmartel
*Author

Or rather, we haven't seen it yet. I can only hope he would show it once he gains control or gets rid entirely of the Chrome Disaster Armor. Seriously, CD really reminds me of the Venom symbiote from Spider-Man.
Old 2012-12-23, 19:40   Link #1730
Flere821
Lurker

Carried over from AW Anime general discussion:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunder the Gold View Post
My consternation comes from the fact that Yellow Radio wasn't screwing with Black Lotus with confusion. He was battling her hand-to-hand, scepter to blade, in close-range combat. His basic attacks and defenses were "close-range direct".

An indirect defense would be a non-special ability that confuses, distorts or denies the opponent's senses, like Charcoal Smoke. Or perhaps the power to summon and control strong gusts of wind which assist one's dodging and throw off the opponent's balance and aim. Anything except "being basically really fast" or "parrying skillfully with a weapon."

Yellow is directly across from multi-range Purple. Just like Purple, Yellow is suspended between Red and Blue, favoring neither range. The Yellow King should be just as capable as the Purple King at fighting from a distance.

Indeed, his Silly-Go-Round has quite a range, and can affect multiple targets. But it's a special move, a desperation attack. Just that alone does not allow him to fight at range; even once his opponent is confused, if all Radio has is his scepter and body, he must engage at close range to deplete their HP even a little bit.

Sulphur Pot can fight at long or close range. He can wade into his Charcoal Smoke and attack his blinded opponents with his bare hands, or he can stay outside of the smoke, away from his target, and light a single small spark.

Someone else like Pot might release an opaque poisonous or corrosive gas to which they themselves are immune. They can then hide and retreat from the enemy until their HP is depleted, or sneak in and strike while they are blinded.

But even if Yellow Radio had a basic move to confuse others, how could that be used offensively without a direct attack? Confusion doesn't deplete HP, and even Silly-Go-Round was no so powerfully disorienting as to make his victims hit themselves.

It's possible that Yellow Radio has some form of basic ranged attack that he didn't feel would work against Black Lotus. Perhaps some form of throwing weapon, like grenades designed as something clownish.

It would be pathetic next to Red Rider's or Scarlet Rain's basic direct attacks, but then I doubt his scepter-work is a match for Blue Knight's swordplay.

But anyway, formulating this answer has given me more ideas.

In particular, the thought of a Yellowish avatar that controls wind. As a direct attack, very weak. As a way of indirectly controlling the battle through manipulation of the self, enemy and environment, an excellent Yellow skill.

Likewise, perhaps the power to control magnetism or gravity.
After using his special gauge for Silly-Go-Round, Radio had to find some way to refill the gauge for other attacks. Apart from his skills the only thing he had that can match Lotus was his sceptre, though granted we don't know that at that point of the LNs. The SS with Graphite Edge mentioned offhand Radio's sceptre has a ability that the more time it's spun like a baton the stronger it gets. With KYH's avatar passive skill (gained when upgraded to Level 8) that allows her to one-hit-kill anyone/anything that has a lower stat that her blades, Radio had to go for close combat with his sceptre to avoid being one-hit-killed.
Flere821 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-12-23, 19:56   Link #1731
Sunder the Gold

So at least one of my theories -- that the baton was just Radio's best way to deal with Lotus, and not necessarily his preferred tactic -- holds true.

Sounds like he DOES have more Yellowish basic moves, and that they might have even worked on Lotus... but Lotus only had to get lucky ONCE and he wasn't about to risk that.

Also sounds like upgrade bonuses at the higher levels EXPONTENTIALLY more impressive than those available at lower levels. Or maybe Lotus' level 8 upgrade was actually a more gradual improvement for a pre-existing One Hit Kill ability.

Anyway, thanks for the answer.
Old 2012-12-24, 02:21   Link #1732
Freya

Send a message via AIM to Freya
Sucks to see that baka-tsuki is still pretty far behind in terms of translating. while SAO is like so far ahead. :[
Old 2012-12-24, 05:03   Link #1733
judasmartel
*Author

Well given that SAO is more popular than AW...
Old 2012-12-24, 07:41   Link #1734
draxdeveloper

if the translation is a measure of popularity... So is far... FAR more popular
Old 2012-12-24, 10:33   Link #1735
Hell_ping
一刀繚乱

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freya View Post
Sucks to see that baka-tsuki is still pretty far behind in terms of translating. while SAO is like so far ahead. :[
Quote:
Well given that SAO is more popular than AW...
Quote:
Originally Posted by draxdeveloper View Post
if the translation is a measure of popularity... So is far... FAR more popular
Well...the S(AO)-rank missions are more popular than the A(W)-ranked missions after all...

In the end, it all comes down to how many translators are able (and more importantly, willing) to help. Even your AW translator is working on Progressive. I think the popularity thing is a chicken-and-egg theory kind of thing though.
Hell_ping is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-12-24, 14:09   Link #1736
draxdeveloper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flere821 View Post
Carried over from AW Anime general discussion:

After using his special gauge for Silly-Go-Round, Radio had to find some way to refill the gauge for other attacks. Apart from his skills the only thing he had that can match Lotus was his sceptre, though granted we don't know that at that point of the LNs. The SS with Graphite Edge mentioned offhand Radio's sceptre has a ability that the more time it's spun like a baton the stronger it gets. With KYH's avatar passive skill (gained when upgraded to Level 8) that allows her to one-hit-kill anyone/anything that has a lower stat that her blades, Radio had to go for close combat with his sceptre to avoid being one-hit-killed.
But if just a lower level avatar and both having level 9, why the one hit kill would be a cocern?

Also, i dont know why but i preffer discuss in the AW forums than the SAO (what i am subscribbed in just one) even the SAO being more popular and etc...
Maybe i just fell that AW is more complex, in the psycological part...
Old 2012-12-25, 16:36   Link #1737
tsunade666

^AW has more development and story to it due to its theme of the characters facing their own trauma. its overcoming ones weakness which can be develop into more than just straight shounen stories.
Old 2012-12-26, 09:22   Link #1738
judasmartel
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsunade666 View Post
^AW has more development and story to it due to its theme of the characters facing their own trauma. its overcoming ones weakness which can be develop into more than just straight shounen stories.
Pretty much this. One reason why SAO is very popular because [sarcasm]Kirito is the best thing since sliced bread. He's the Jesus of 2010's anime and the first legit badass MC since probably freakin' Kenshiro. Screw weak whiny MCs like Haru, all future MCs should be modeled after Kirito[/sarcasm].

I mean, guy is so overpowered that no one, and I MEAN NO ONE, save a minor character we will never see again, can beat him in a straight-up fight (he even beat the FREAKING CREATOR OF SAO in his own game); smooth harem player, and yet is loyal to only one girl. AND is thin and lanky like 99% of all anime MCs. Can't get any more perfect than that.
Old 2012-12-26, 11:32   Link #1739
tsunade666

^It looks like you had a lot of sour towards SAO but please don't compare Kirito to Kenshiro. Its like comparing an ant towards the giant of the north star.

AW's biggest minus is the way the author portray Haru. In his work before getting hired as an official writer which is SAO centers on the perfect guy that shows few problems and possible development thus on his next work he choose someone who has a lot of potential to develop but really....... a big round small fat guy. Haru is like the summation of all the bad trait a MC can get. Sure Haru spell the same as GAR but looking at him in his physical appearance draws a lot of set back and people's appearance is important. Look at shoujo and other shounen shows. They had cool looking MC and haru isn't near them at all.Though his alter ego Silver Crow isn't helping at all too because it slims and looks fragile and even its defense is fragile but given a hax ability to fly in a fighting game. It gives an edge on Haru's character and to dwell more on his development with mental trauma but the people are also having trauma just looking at him. Specially people right now who are more into teenage gathering or how to say it. The are into what's in or fashion or looks or what's popular. following that thread. Other works tend to be popula for sure just by following the cliche trends.
Old 2012-12-26, 13:44   Link #1740
judasmartel
*Author

That's why I said "probably". But I guess guy hasn't earned the right to be in a conversation with Kenshiro just yet. Oh well.

But looks like the hippies are hatin' on Haru as well. Is that right?

I guess the audience is just not ready for such an emotional character as Haru, they just want all their anime to be all happy or all dark or all power and stuff. Dunno, but I guess everyone's just watching whatever is popular so some just don't appreciate the ones that aren't.

Tags
action, cyberpunk, harem, romance, seinen, shounen, virtual reality