Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Reviews & Recommendations

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2010-01-02, 00:44   Link #1
devildog23
Summerlurking

Suggestions Please

Recently, I started watching Cross Game. I didn't enjoy it as much for the baseball, as I did for the characters and relationships. I thought the relationship between Aoba and Kou is exactly what i'm looking for. So basically, could you suggest some anime that have this kind of relationship? Any genre is fine

I want them to hide their feelings extremely well; to the point that they may even be hiding it from themselves. Like Aoba and Kou would probably never admit it if they did like each other (stubbornness?). The suggestions don't HAVE to have characters that are tsundere towards each other, but can. They could also hate each other, then begin to like each other. I'm open to anything

Some characters that come to mind other than the two from cross game are...
Harima and Eri - School Rumble
Shinji and Asuka - Evangelion
I forget their names - Full Metal Panic!
Luke and Cecily - Sacred Blacksmith (Girl was annoying though)

Can't think of anymore -.-

Also, please none of those completely ridiculous harem anime with the dorky male leads, and the fanservice and nosebleeds and all that. If you are completely intent on suggesting it, I'll still look into it though.

Thanks!
Old 2010-01-02, 00:58   Link #2
Kotohono
Yuri µ'serator

I haven't seen Cross Game, but from sound of that relationship, I think you might like/be looking for Toradora if you haven't seen it.
MAL
Old 2010-01-02, 02:06   Link #3
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

I'm not sure I can think of a pairing that's quite like Kou and Aoba (that's one of the nice things about Cross Game), but here are a few couples that are somewhat similar:

Chiaki and Nodame in Nodame Cantabile
Hachi and Ai in Planetes
Dojo and Kasahara in Toshokan Sensou
Sawaki and Hasegawa in Moyashimon

For the record, all these pairings are older than Kou/Aoba, so their emotional reticence is less a reflection of adolescent insecurity. These shows tend to put romance into competition with professional pursuits. In all of these cases there's a clear status differential between the leads. With the exception of Moyashimon, the male is the older and more experienced senpai to the female lead. In Moyashimon Hasegawa is a graduate student and Sawaki a freshman.
Old 2010-01-02, 03:33   Link #4
jedinat

I really liked the first couple eps of Cross Game, got impatient waiting for the rest to download, so I went and read most of the manga that's been released.... god, just like every other manga of his (thought this one might be different), the relationships go nowhere! It was driving me crazy; eventually just started skimming, and by the time I caught up to the scanlations I could care less about the stupid story... I'm totally giving up on Adachi. He writes nothing but infuriating manga. The only one of his I actually ended up not hating was the single volume Jinbe. He can write a good story, but the endless money-milking serializations of his are ridiculous... got to hand it to him though; he found his formula and stuck with it, and it's worked out quite well for him, lol... enough of my rambling.

About your request... a classic example would be Ranma 1/2's central relationship between Ranma and Akane... though it is indeed one of those silly harem manga/anime, I'd like to think it's a good one. The anime wears a bit after the first 3 or so seasons, but the manga entertains pretty much through the end.
Old 2010-01-02, 04:25   Link #5
hazelnut

I'd second Toradora. Good thing about that show is the whole "do they like each other or not" thing never gets stale. And it has a nice conclusion. Now i think i have to watch Cross Game, but i'm wondering, how long a series is it supposed to be?
Old 2010-01-02, 13:04   Link #6
Sackett
Cross Game - I need more

Location: I've moved around the American West. I've lived in Oregon, Washington, Utah, and Oklahoma
51 episodes, and I personally prefer a romance that takes time to develop instead of just springing into being after a few incidents.

Cross Game - A Story of Love, Life, Death - and Baseball. What more could you want?
Old 2010-01-03, 13:44   Link #7
hazelnut

Mmm, that's a bunch, definitely enough for a relationship to develop . Are you talking about anime where the protagonists don't realize they're meant for eachother until around episode 25?
Old 2010-01-24, 18:03   Link #8
deafbear

Hi,

I am new at this.

I watched the anime called "Reideen". It was great show but it was only 26 episodes. I wish that there were more series.. something like season 2?

Deafbear
Old 2010-01-24, 18:38   Link #9
JRendell
Manga Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by deafbear View Post
Hi,

I am new at this.

I watched the anime called "Reideen". It was great show but it was only 26 episodes. I wish that there were more series.. something like season 2?

Deafbear
You should have created a separate thread but anyways~

There hasn't even been a second series announced. Plus, there isn't any manga, so it's not looking likely that a second series is going to be made.

Only thing I can do is recommend some anime similar;

- Full Metal Panic
- Zegapain

JR~
Old 2010-01-24, 18:57   Link #10
Sackett
Cross Game - I need more

Location: I've moved around the American West. I've lived in Oregon, Washington, Utah, and Oklahoma
Quote:
Originally Posted by hazelnut View Post
Mmm, that's a bunch, definitely enough for a relationship to develop . Are you talking about anime where the protagonists don't realize they're meant for eachother until around episode 25?
More like an anime were there is a very good reason why they keep interacting together but are developing a romance very slowly.

Life is complicated, and it's hard to just up and change how you've treated someone your whole life.

Cross Game - A Story of Love, Life, Death - and Baseball. What more could you want?
Old 2010-01-24, 21:39   Link #11
Van-kun
Wounded Warrior

i'd go for TORADORA if you haven't watched it yet..

just like the others suggest..
Closed Thread