AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > Video Games

Notices

Old 2013-03-14, 05:37   Link #201
Vallen Chaos Valiant
Logician and Romantic

Quote:
Originally Posted by erneiz_hyde View Post
I think he knew and was being sarcastic there
I am just so surprised that Simcity2013 has actually worse problems than their DRM.

If anything, the DRM issues had obscured the real problem that the game is shallow and buggy, and that it took so long for people to find out because they could barely get their game to work at all.
Old 2013-03-14, 07:58   Link #202
larethian

DRM = Digital Restrictions Management that punishes legitimate users.
If even Bill Gates spoke against DRM, and Apple abandoned it in 2009, you know it's not heading in the right direction.
larethian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-03-14, 08:09   Link #203
Vallen Chaos Valiant
Logician and Romantic

Oh, more news. Confirmed that Simcity is entirely offline except for 20 minute timer Java script that kicks you off the game. This means the authentication DRM is a last-minute addition.

http://www.reddit.com/r/Games/commen...online_forced/

This is the biggest scam I have ever seen from a major developer. Making bad games like C&C 4 is one thing, but to tell nothing but lies is another. The debug mode of the game functions just fine with no internet, so literally there are ZERO calculations handled by EA's servers.

Not a little, not some, ZERO. This is a single player game that pretends to be online only.

There is still a need to log in online in order to start the offline game. But knowing the game, it is only a matter of time before that requirement is gone too.

http://www.reddit.com/r/SimCity/comm...ata_to_enable/
Here is where you get the crude off-line mode modification. Currently the delete function doesn't work in debug mode. It would take a long time to turn the offline mode into a functional game... But I have a feeling that the modders would actually get the job done faster than EA at this rate.

Last edited by Vallen Chaos Valiant; 2013-03-14 at 08:27.
Vallen Chaos Valiant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-03-14, 08:28   Link #204
Kyuu
=^^=

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyuu View Post
For this SimCity to take DRM a step further by having complete control of the game in their own servers... without offline mode... EA was asking for trouble. SimCity servers could have done the job of account management and city-to-city interconnectivity, while leaving the simulation itself processing on player's computers. Overall, the calculations of the game are distributed amongst our own computers, while the game servers handle various data transactions.

But no... EA decided to be Draconian.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vallen Chaos Valiant
Oh, more news. Confirmed that Simcity is entirely offline except for 20 minute timer Java script that kicks you off the game. This means the authentication DRM is a last-minute addition.
Well holy cow. I have been bamboozled:

http://www.forbes.com/sites/davidthi...y-run-offline/

The more info. that is found about the game -- the worse it is looking. If I ever get around to playing this game, I'll join the Pirates. And that's a big fat IF.

And so...

Quote:
A SimCity modder has found a way to partially circumvent the game's always-online requirement and allow for indefinite offline play.
http://www.gamespot.com/news/modders...ffline-6405296
Kyuu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-03-14, 08:32   Link #205
Skane
Anime Snark

What baffles me is how did they think they would get away with it when there are people out there, out to get them. Especially after the ME3-Ending debacle. Are they really trying their earnest to plow the ship into an iceberg?

Natch.
Old 2013-03-14, 09:25   Link #206
Vallen Chaos Valiant
Logician and Romantic

Now that we know for a fact that EA doesn't do ANY serverside calculations, it means the tiny city sizes are not to save bandwidth.

Knowing the fact that the entire population all try to go home to the same house and try to work at the same building, the tiny city sizes are now likely just a way to disguise the fact that there is no actual AI in the citizens. If you have a Simcity 4 size metropolis in Simcity2013, you would quickly see the entire population all trying to get to work at the same part of town. But with city sizes so small, EA was able to hide the issue in the demo and for the first week of sales.
Old 2013-03-14, 10:08   Link #207
KleenexGhost
Riding the Ange Express

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X2EYk...e_gdata_player
Old 2013-03-14, 10:11   Link #208
willx
Nyaaan~~

/regret owning EA shares based simply on financial results 3 7 Qs back ..

EDIT: For accuracy, I just noticed more time went by than I thought, if I bought it 3Q's back I would've made money..

Last edited by willx; 2013-03-14 at 11:24.
willx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-03-14, 11:23   Link #209
Duo Maxwell
A Proud Lolicon

All the talks about this makes me want to start up my SimCity 4 again.
Old 2013-03-14, 12:33   Link #210
Waven
Itadaki-nyaaa !!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duo Maxwell View Post
All the talks about this makes me want to start up my SimCity 4 again.
Mine is already up

The amount of available mods scares me, though
Waven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-03-14, 13:17   Link #211
Xacual

So this guy found a way to edit other people's cities.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...6VE5ZsZw#at=20

He didn't try spoofing usernames though to see if it would sync to the servers. Some other guy found you can edit the roads outside of cities and that does sync to the server.

I was influenced by a certain group overflowing with madness and started trying to write a story. Please give it a try. Crashed into Fantasy
Xacual is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-03-14, 13:37   Link #212
Xefi
癸亥 (guǐhài)
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
Originally Posted by larethian View Post
DRM = Digital Restrictions Management that punishes legitimate users.
If even Bill Gates spoke against DRM, and Apple abandoned it in 2009, you know it's not heading in the right direction.
that's why i NEVER buy any games with DRM restriction: limited amount of time you can
installed, online onry, and etc...i dont like supporting that crap.

but oh well, the day when EA learns of this that DRM only hurts their customers/fans,
is the day when this world EXPLODES!

P.S.: love your sexy sig!
Old 2013-03-14, 16:31   Link #213
Tempester
Japanese Culture Fan

It's pretty amusing how a supposedly "anti-piracy" DRM implementation has made it easier for pirates to play and enjoy the game than legitimate buying customers.
Tempester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-03-14, 16:53   Link #214
Drkz
( ゚∀゚)アハハ八八ノヽノヽノヽノ \ / \/

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tempester View Post
It's pretty amusing how a supposedly "anti-piracy" DRM implementation has made it easier for pirates to play and enjoy the game than legitimate buying customers.
EA. Lack of servers. Customer Service in India. Decided stupidly to put every single game in origin to compete with Steam. Load of fail. Pirates will pirate. Pirates give no shit. In the end it comes to a point where your not even supporting the company. Its the fucking publisher your paying the money too. The company who made the game? They get squeezed dried.
Old 2013-03-14, 16:55   Link #215
Kyuu
=^^=

Spoiler:

LOL @ EA's version of solitaire
Kyuu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-03-14, 18:37   Link #216
Ak3mi
Tumble Rumble

http://www.pcgamer.com/2013/03/14/si...-phantom-sims/

Interesting thoughts by Pc gamer at the current state of Sim City.
Old 2013-03-15, 04:34   Link #217
Alaya
Counter Force

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vallen Chaos Valiant View Post
Now that we know for a fact that EA doesn't do ANY serverside calculations, it means the tiny city sizes are not to save bandwidth.

Knowing the fact that the entire population all try to go home to the same house and try to work at the same building, the tiny city sizes are now likely just a way to disguise the fact that there is no actual AI in the citizens. If you have a Simcity 4 size metropolis in Simcity2013, you would quickly see the entire population all trying to get to work at the same part of town. But with city sizes so small, EA was able to hide the issue in the demo and for the first week of sales.
Not really correct though. There is a server side calculation but it is use for region calculation not a city one. Tried and found out that if there's no connection it is possible to run a city but there will not be any update on region at all, such as you would not be able to buy utilities from other cities or sims from other city would not to your city.

So EA/Maxis doesn't really lie (as servers are needed for region calculation), but they did not tell the whole truth (servers are not needed for local city calculation).

Madoka: This was the tale of magical girls whose wishes are pure and by them are driven to despair.
Alaya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-03-15, 05:24   Link #218
Vallen Chaos Valiant
Logician and Romantic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alaya View Post
Not really correct though. There is a server side calculation but it is use for region calculation not a city one. Tried and found out that if there's no connection it is possible to run a city but there will not be any update on region at all, such as you would not be able to buy utilities from other cities or sims from other city would not to your city.

So EA/Maxis doesn't really lie (as servers are needed for region calculation), but they did not tell the whole truth (servers are not needed for local city calculation).
That makes no sense. When people ask for offline play, no one expects multiplayer aspects to still be functional.

Further the info from the regions are not calculated at all. They are not even live; there is a massive lag time between a city making changes and it being detected by another city in the region, in tens of minutes. Most of all, there is nothing to "calculate" even for server info.

No point twisting the words. There is ZERO calculations done by servers. Nothing is offloaded, everything is calculated by the player's computers. The Server only pass messages around, and as such any claim of "vital server side simulation calculation" is a lie.

In fact, multiple gaming sites have asked EA for details on exact WHAT the servers are actually calculating. And EA has not responded. This is more evidence that there is no calculations at all. It would cost them too much money to do server side calculation anyway, they wouldn't have paid for it.

Edit: EA has officially declared that they are deleting any forum threads on their site that mentions modding. This of course includes deleting the fact that the game can run offline.
http://forum.ea.com/eaforum/posts/list/9368164.page

Last edited by Vallen Chaos Valiant; 2013-03-15 at 06:23.
Vallen Chaos Valiant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-03-15, 08:47   Link #219
demonix

Send a message via Yahoo to demonix
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xacual View Post
Some other guy found you can edit the roads outside of cities and that does sync to the server.
That same person also found out that an always on internet connection isn't required to play proving what EA said about many of the computations being done in the cloud on their servers is total BS.
demonix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-03-15, 09:04   Link #220
CJ_Walker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archon_Wing View Post

Rule of thumb is create transit hubs every few blocks. So bus stop, train station and parking lot could go all together. Transit works best if people are easily able to switch from one to the other.

That's pretty much Japan in a nutshell, all the major train stations have bus stop centers along with them (not really parking though) I'm guessing the creators know about that and tried to simulate that in the game as well.
CJ_Walker is offline   Reply With Quote