AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > Video Games

Notices

Old 2010-07-03, 12:12   Link #181
CrowKenobi
One PUNCH!
*Administrator

I think that it does have a mic... if you look at the pic on the first page, there is a hole in front of the lower screen next to the start button. The mic in my DSi is nothing but a hole, so I assume that's where the mic is here.
CrowKenobi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-07-04, 10:46   Link #182
Xellos-_^
Not Enough Sleep

is the 3DS going to be region free is it like the DSi and region lock?
Old 2010-07-04, 10:58   Link #183
mangatron
worshipping the pantyhose

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xellos-_^ View Post
is the 3DS going to be region free is it like the DSi and region lock?
Well that's a good question. Let's see if I can piece together some hints:

-They make emphasis on DS backwards compatibility, no mention of DSi, with, I believe they made mention of no current plans to give people the option to bring their DSiware to the 3DS.
-I do recall the DSi having two touch screens, with apparently the 3DS having only one.
-It seems the 3DS will launch everywhere around the same time, March 2011. This would mean no having to spend extra time making separate 3DS's for Japan, NA, and EU.

If we go by Nintendo making the DSi's region specific mainly due to the DSiware, then yes, the 3DS shouldn't be region locked. But,

-The 3DS has enhanced wireless capabilities.
-With probably some emphasis on using the DS for Nintendo related socializing.
-The mention of some online related stuff using ones' 3DS.

If we go by that, then the 3DS may just end up being region specific due to the online stuff. I do like this idea, making the online stuff IP based, with of course an account option to specify which region one wants to view content of. This should at least make the 3DS region free, free from the shackles of letting the 3DS deal with all the mumbo jumbo of region locking.
mangatron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-07-04, 12:36   Link #184
GDB

Wasn't the DSi only region locked in regards to the DSi-ware? Like, you could still play Japanese cartridges on an American system, just not get the DSi-ware?

And I'm pretty sure the DSi only had one touch-screen, just like the normal DS.
GDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-07-04, 13:53   Link #185
mangatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by GDB View Post
Wasn't the DSi only region locked in regards to the DSi-ware? Like, you could still play Japanese cartridges on an American system, just not get the DSi-ware?
Basically that's what I've concluded, as I've never seen anyone reporting Japanese import games not working on their non-Japanese DSi.

Quote:
While I don't have a DSi, it seems like there is only 1, but I thought it was two due to reports online as well as a pack of DSi screen protectors I bought, which had 2 of essentially the same type. Something like this I bought in Germany for my DS had the top screen protector different than the one for the touch screen, whilst my DSi pack from Hori had 2 identical ones, with instructions saying which one goes where, so it wasn't a 1+1 spare thing.

I wonder if anyone at E3 was able to go to the main menu of the 3DS.... I don't recall anything like that happening, although I think they said that part of the 3DS wasn't finished. It sure would have shed more light into whether or not it is region specific.
Old 2010-07-04, 14:04   Link #186
Kudryavka

Quote:
Originally Posted by GDB View Post
Yea, the DSi only has one touch screen, for sure.
Kudryavka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-07-04, 15:03   Link #187
Sides

Quote:
Originally Posted by mangatron View Post
Basically that's what I've concluded, as I've never seen anyone reporting Japanese import games not working on their non-Japanese DSi.
DSi enchanced and DSi titles are region locked. DSI enchanced titles are region free when running on the DS, but not on the DSi. And DSi titles are just completely locked, as far as i'm aware off.
Sides is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-07-04, 15:14   Link #188
mangatron

Again, what I've basically concluded, is that anything relating to the DSi's additions over the regular DS are the only things about the system that made it region locked.

The various reports and such about the 3DS currently not supporting existing DSiware leads me to think the 3DS isn't region locked in the DSi manner, which perhaps it may be or may not be region locked.
Old 2010-07-04, 15:59   Link #189
Sides

Quote:
Again, what I've basically concluded, is that anything relating to the DSi's additions over the regular DS are the only things about the system that made it region locked.
The only thing i can think of is that it works similar to the Wii, regarding DS mode, where functions will be locked out/limited, see no WPA support and limited ram used for DS games. However if a game is build to support DSi mode the region lock kicks in, with all the other DSi features. I'm pretty sure if publishers wanted the can disable the region lock feature, but that isn't going to happen.
Actually the region lock may have something to do with DSiWare software. Seeing that the 3DS might support games installation, DSiWare software might just be the same as DSi cart games, hence both supporting region restrictions.
Sides is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-07-16, 16:55   Link #190
-Sho-
~Omedetô~

Hi .

For those who like Okami and wait for Okami-den , here the box collector :

Contain :

- Game
- Game's soundtrack
- A Kawaii little stuffed Chibiterasu
- DVD with many trailers
- A novel which tell the heroes's adventures .
- Amazing Earphones , do want !
- All in a great Box

For 8000 yens . But currently only in Japan , available end of september .
-Sho- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-08-06, 02:18   Link #191
wingman32x

I can't wait for the 3DS to come out. It's going to be hard to find for a while. Ok, on a scale of 1 to impossible, how hard will the 3DS be to find during the first 3 months? I'm guessing damn near impossible unless nintendo pumps out insane shipments. I just hope it becomes easy to find faster than the wii.
wingman32x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-08-06, 05:07   Link #192
Vallen Chaos Valiant
Logician and Romantic

Quote:
Originally Posted by wingman32x View Post
I can't wait for the 3DS to come out. It's going to be hard to find for a while. Ok, on a scale of 1 to impossible, how hard will the 3DS be to find during the first 3 months? I'm guessing damn near impossible unless nintendo pumps out insane shipments. I just hope it becomes easy to find faster than the wii.
Assuming Nintendo isn't going to go for world wide release, the only time when you would have supply problems would be when batch 1 comes out in Japan. By the time it comes out in the West the demand should stabilise.

I personally will not try to get the 3DS as soon as possible. Instead, I would be getting it when there is a game title I like. Sure, it might be out on release day, but it might not. A good RPG would be what I am after.

If I can resist the temptation, I might even watch for 3DS 2nd edition, as getting things from batch 1 can be buggy.
Old 2010-08-06, 05:40   Link #193
mangatron

Heh, buggy. Assuming they continue the firmware route, I doubt that Of course if you mean "buggy" as in hardware fault, like too big, then ok....

Quote:
Originally Posted by wingman32x View Post
You know, it took me a good 6 months to finally get the DS when it first came out [in North America]. And that was hilarious. I learned from that lesson and imported a DS Lite for almost $300 during the Japanese launch. That price was because it was rare. Seeing as how my two experiences was specific to only one region, I would say this 3DS would be really really hard to find on launch [if it all happens again]. Especially if marketing is driven to the max, and exposure is high, we'll see even more pre-orders.

On a scale of 1 to impossible, I say it's somewhere far away from 1, that's for sure
Old 2010-08-06, 05:47   Link #194
Vallen Chaos Valiant
Logician and Romantic

Quote:
Heh, buggy. Assuming they continue the firmware route, I doubt that Of course if you mean "buggy" as in hardware fault, like too big, then ok....
Hardware issues, mostly. I am expecting some problems in the 1st batch because they would be in a hurry to meet demand, so there would be a chance for construction issues bypassing quality control. This isn't a problem with Nintendo, but with all tech companies.
Old 2010-08-06, 06:21   Link #195
mangatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vallen Chaos Valiant View Post
Hardware issues, mostly. I am expecting some problems in the 1st batch because they would be in a hurry to meet demand, so there would be a chance for construction issues bypassing quality control. This isn't a problem with Nintendo, but with all tech companies.
But unlike most (if not all) tech companies, Nintendo has 1 FULL year to work on this (not counting work done prior to March 2010), as it was stated after E3 that this is not entirely the final design and that they are still working out the kinks and what not. AND they made multiple hardware demos for E3. In comparison:

-The original DS had a major shell change in only 6 months. (E3 to launch)
-Apple had presumably 1 year from iPhone 3GS to iPhone 4, with the 3 month drama of the "Engineer", most phones still suffer from the "End Call Grip".
-There was about in total an 8 month rumor span, officially almost 6 month public knowledge of the HTC LEO aka HD2, shortly after launch it had the Pink Dot of Death, which was easily fixed via software patch.

I'm a little brain drained right now, so that's from recent memory. In short, Nintendo has more time available than most companies simply because they have been working on this a lot longer than what the DS went through during E32004 to Launch Day November 2004. I think the odds are in favor of Nintendo this time around. There is just no excuse.
Old 2010-08-06, 06:51   Link #196
Vallen Chaos Valiant
Logician and Romantic

Quote:
But unlike most (if not all) tech companies, Nintendo has 1 FULL year to work on this (not counting work done prior to March 2010), as it was stated after E3 that this is not entirely the final design and that they are still working out the kinks and what not. AND they made multiple hardware demos for E3. In comparison:

-The original DS had a major shell change in only 6 months. (E3 to launch)
-Apple had presumably 1 year from iPhone 3GS to iPhone 4, with the 3 month drama of the "Engineer", most phones still suffer from the "End Call Grip".
-There was about in total an 8 month rumor span, officially almost 6 month public knowledge of the HTC LEO aka HD2, shortly after launch it had the Pink Dot of Death, which was easily fixed via software patch.

I'm a little brain drained right now, so that's from recent memory. In short, Nintendo has more time available than most companies simply because they have been working on this a lot longer than what the DS went through during E32004 to Launch Day November 2004. I think the odds are in favor of Nintendo this time around. There is just no excuse.
No 1st batch hardware survives contact with customers.

No matter how much time they spent on it, the real test is always mass-production and use by consumers. All the real problems will be revealed then, and not before. You can't "test" mass-production.
Old 2010-08-06, 08:53   Link #197
mangatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vallen Chaos Valiant View Post
No 1st batch hardware survives contact with customers.

No matter how much time they spent on it, the real test is always mass-production and use by consumers. All the real problems will be revealed then, and not before. You can't "test" mass-production.

Let me give you the perfect example between Nintendo and Apple (MY personal experiences of what I brought with me in my travels. Real world use).
Spoiler for Nintendo products:

While I'd like to include my Japanese DS Lite (which still works including the awesome scratchless screen protector), in short, my experiences of late with Nintendo handhelds, no matter what I did, they still work. Let's look at my Apple experiences:

Spoiler for Apple products:

In short, I did the simple, no funky junky process of using Apple products, and it doesn't like my methods. I didn't even make a damn call yet on the iPhone!

I like Nintendo's odds as to the survivability of 1 production run handhelds. Why should the 3GS be any different
Old 2010-08-06, 10:19   Link #198
Vallen Chaos Valiant
Logician and Romantic

Don't get me wrong, I know Nintendo has a good track record with their handhelds. Nintendinum exists as a word for a reason. But I am just not a "First Adopter".
Old 2010-08-06, 12:08   Link #199
mangatron

Ah I see. It's cool.

Oh, one of the things I think they said they are working on is battery life. You can bet the 2nd adopters and later will get the bigger capacity-same-size battery than the 1st adopter

Although, I still don't understand the drop the DSi had from the DS Lite. Hope the 3DS doesn't end up like that.
Old 2010-08-06, 12:56   Link #200
CrowKenobi
One PUNCH!
*Administrator

Quote:
Although, I still don't understand the drop the DSi had from the DS Lite. Hope the 3DS doesn't end up like that.
If you're talking sales drop, wouldn't that be the loss of the GBA slot?
CrowKenobi is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
3ds, dsi, nintendo, nintendo 3ds, nintendo ds