AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Code Geass

Notices

Old 2010-05-14, 03:31   Link #1541
Zetsubou Bunny
Banned

Send a message via AIM to Zetsubou Bunny Send a message via MSN to Zetsubou Bunny Send a message via Yahoo to Zetsubou Bunny
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lolipopo View Post
Pfff, I'll never know what happens in this manga. The art is way too weird (Do I dare say unpretty ?) For me to even land a eye on it :/

And all this talk about Lelouch alive/Dead scares me. I know Geass is a crazy universe, but this Renya of the watever is during Edo. lelouch being there is just...crazy. Come on, Taniguchi, don't be influenced by NoN (which I must be the only person in the world who dislike it :/)
(( Oh no, I don't care for it either. It's far, faaar to AU for my tastes. I just generally am not a fan of AU's. And !Zero! disturbs me. And like you mentioned the art style is just...

I don't know why it's so popular with everyone else. I don't understand.

When I tell people I don't like NoN and they don't understand why. I'm like

))
Zetsubou Bunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-05-14, 16:15   Link #1542
Lolipopo
Srsly ?
*Artist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zetsubou Bunny View Post
(( Oh no, I don't care for it either. It's far, faaar to AU for my tastes. I just generally am not a fan of AU's. And !Zero! disturbs me. And like you mentioned the art style is just...

))
I don't feel alone anymore...

It seems like a crime not to like Non :/ But Really, the artstyle, the artstyle...
There are plenty of talented mangaka out there, why that...?

I never really understood much about Zero. he is a mix between C.C. and Lelouch or something like that, and has more in common with Batman than with canon! Zero, from what I gathered XD

I don't fear AU usually (I'm one fervent demander of Cg Fumoffu ) but that...yeah XD Way Too crazy.

And the artstyle XD
(And they had to pick the same artist for the new manga. Awesome.)

Lolipopo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-05-14, 18:02   Link #1543
Eternal Dreamer
Seeker of Truth and Lies

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zetsubou Bunny View Post

))
...It's like looking into a mirror.

I feel the same way, man. When I first saw the art for NoN, I just thought: . No words can describe how PAINFUL it is to look at it. As for the story...I don't think I need to say anything about THAT.

...ANYWAY, leaving that aside, I've finally finished the translation of the text for the Akito comments. (Because that's what they are, really: comments by Taniguchi and co about how they feel about the new production.

And here it is:

Quote:
“Code Geass Side Story: Akito of the Ruined Nation (Temporary Name)
  • A follow-up report is expected to be announced sometime this summer.

Staff:
Original Work: Sunrise, Taniguchi Gorou, Okouchi Ichirou
Character design draft: CLAMP
Character design: Takahiro Kimura
Knightmare design: Yasuda Akira
Script: Morita Shigeru
Animation work: Sunrise

Quote:
Kawaguchi Yoshitaka—Producer

It’s a challenge, I say, to expand our field with the upcoming “Code Geass Side Story: Akito of the Ruined Nation (Temporary Name)”, so that everyone can enjoy it as it overlaps with the already completed “Lelouch of the Rebellion”. Director Akane Kazuki, who has been selected as the new director for this project, has naďve character and actions, but/and Tanigichi-san and Okouchi-san both support him as the new director, from the viewpoint that that this is an original work. Of course, Clamp will also be participating, cross-examining the charm of the characters, as they start to produce a world of stunning characters and mecha-action in order to enlarging the world of Code Geass. It is our desire that you please support them from now on.

Quote:
Taniguchi Gorou—Original Work

After the work for R2 had ended, many people, including many fans, wished for a continuation. “How should we answer all these voices?” After I discussed it with Okouchi-san and all the rest of the staff, we decided to not simply “continue” it, but instead to “expand” it. I’m glad that Director Akane’s new Geass will be implemented as the start of this new project this time. For now on, please anticipate it, as well as the rest of the “expansion” that has been announced.

Quote:
Okouchi Ichirou—Original Work

To be honest, everyone else besides us was anxious about making a new Geass. But we had heard about Akane-san as a director, and any anxiety inside us was easily overcome by our expectations and hopes. As I see each setting and script being created one after another, I find myself full of anticipation. Please everyone, expect great things from this!
There's some margin of error on these translations, but for the most part they're accurate. (Hopefully. ) I know not much information has been said besides who going to be working on it (same character and Knightmare designers as before, and the script writer worked on the LoR special settings). However, it seems that they will be giving out, once again, more info on it in the summer issue, so at least we won't be left in the dark for long. (Small comfort, I know. )

As for the rest of the article, I'll be releasing it in chunks over the weekend and maybe the some of next week. (There's a LOT to translate this time, so I won't be able to do it all at once.) I'll try to get them out as soon as I can.
Eternal Dreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-05-14, 18:41   Link #1544
Zetsubou Bunny
Banned

Send a message via AIM to Zetsubou Bunny Send a message via MSN to Zetsubou Bunny Send a message via Yahoo to Zetsubou Bunny
Thank you Eternal Dreamer! You're a saint.

Well. At least the director of 'Akito' has Okouchi's and Taniguchi's blessing. I suppose I'll trust in them to know whom they're handing it over to.
Zetsubou Bunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-05-14, 19:50   Link #1545
Arbitres
Disabled By Request

He does good job translating, which is why he leads the Lost Colors project. He is worthy of respect and acknowledgement.

I'm just glad we have him on the forum. It's rather nice to have someone willing and competent in translation. I'm actually surprised he got that much done, though I'm glad he did.
Arbitres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-05-14, 20:20   Link #1546
Roloko vi Britannia
The Dark Empress

oh wow thanks I'll be looking forward to it Dreamer ^_^

Roloko vi Britannia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-05-15, 17:53   Link #1547
SonOfHeaven
Metal Gear!?

Thanks for the translation Eternal Dreamer. I guess the staff wanted to test out if the series can have new characters/plot to be successful. Pretty obvious the demand for an sequel must have been very high. Hope it turns out good(Just don't have pointless characters, etc like R2 did for fanservice).
Old 2010-05-16, 10:45   Link #1548
Eternal Dreamer
Seeker of Truth and Lies

I've finished the first part of the interview, as well as the little bit of text beside the manga images! Here's a look:

Manga Text

Quote:
Here’s a peek at the initial cuts!

These names (initial drawings mangaka draw before the inked version) are before pen use. These are drawings of Renya’s action scenes. The sound effect drawing of the kanji “斬” (means decapitation) is especially striking. This manga “Shikkoku no Renya” will mainly follow the pattern of a war between humans.
...Decapitation? How...interesting...

Interview

Quote:
“Code Geass: Jet-Black Renya”
  • Starting on May 26th, it will begin serialization in the monthly publication “Shonen Ace” (Kadokawa Shoten), July issue. The first chapter will have a big volume of 51 pages!

The curtain is finally being raised. I have the two people working on the first part of the Code Geass project, “Jet-Black Renya”, here today to talk about their enthusiasm for the new production. Could you tell us about why you made the stage of this Geass story in the Edo period?

Takuma: At first, I thought, “This looks difficult”. My previous work, “Nightmare of Nunnally”, was a spin-off, so this is my first work in CG’s official history. Truly difficult. (Laugh)

Taniguchi: I requested Takuma-san for this new project because “NoN” was the most freely acknowledged in the world as part the manga expansion of Code Geass. And I wanted to rely on his drawing abilities in order to create a particular atmosphere for this story.
I have only the first bit for the time being, but I'll get more of it out as soon as I can. Please be patient like always!
Old 2010-05-19, 16:29   Link #1549
MainCharacter
All Evils of the World

"My previous work, “Nightmare of Nunnally”, was a spin-off, so this is my first work in CG’s official history."

Well that double-confirms/settles that.

I'm looking forward to both the manga and the anime. I am pretty nervous about Lelouch in the manga. Not only would they be going against their confirmation he is dead, but I feel like bringing him back and making him a time traveler whatever would be pretty lame and disgrace the strength and impact of his final act. For now, though, I'll have faith they know what they are doing.

I'm more looking forward to the anime. It's right before and/or during R2 (correct?), so they can pull off Lelouch cameos or moments without focusing on him to give the Code Geass junkies our Lelouch hits, while they make their own new story and characters. If done well, this could be really good. I'm just hoping it's a full 25 episode anime and not a movie or OVA(s). I know "Gaiden" suggests OVAs but it's still possible to be a Giaden story that is as long as the main story (or half of it).

Great job ED. You are Awesome incarnate.
MainCharacter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-05-19, 16:32   Link #1550
Rising Dragon
Goat Herder
*Author

Wait what's this talk about Lelouch being in the manga?
Old 2010-05-19, 17:07   Link #1551
Kuroshinobu

Do we have solid confirmation that Lelouch will indeed appear in the new manga? I wonder how they'll pull this off if this is true...
Kuroshinobu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-05-19, 17:11   Link #1552
Xander

Thanks for the translation, I'm looking forward to the rest of it.

It does seem that the manga will be part of the "official history" but I'm still far from sure about all the other assumptions that have been made and the specifics are all open to speculation. Still, instead of repeating what has already been written I'll just happily wait.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rising Dragon View Post
Wait what's this talk about Lelouch being in the manga?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kuroshinobu View Post
Do we have solid confirmation that Lelouch will indeed appear in the new manga? I wonder how they'll pull this off if this is true...
Read the last couple of pages or so in this topic.

I wouldn't call that "solid confirmation" myself but at the very least there is some obvious teasing from Sunrise.
Xander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-05-19, 23:24   Link #1553
darthfury78

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lolipopo View Post
Pfff, I'll never know what happens in this manga. The art is way too weird (Do I dare say unpretty ?) For me to even land a eye on it :/

And all this talk about Lelouch alive/Dead scares me. I know Geass is a crazy universe, but this Renya of the watever is during Edo. lelouch being there is just...crazy. Come on, Taniguchi, don't be influenced by NoN (which I must be the only person in the world who dislike it :/)
I am glad that the new series will not continue from where Code Geass R2 left off. In fact, I have a feeling that any new Code Geass project will revolve around the first season. The second season left a lot to be desired because it doesn't continue from where the ending of season one's climax had stopped. The original version of the second season continues from the the first season had stopped.

I had a feeling that the new Code Geass project might focus on a brand new character in a brand new setting. But it would hold the style and tone of the first season of Code Geass. I do not want to see a continuation of the second season as I felt that it should remain as it is after the Zero Requiem. If we want to see Lelouch again, it would be a format that has nothing to do with the aftermath of Code Geass R2. But rather with the connections of the first season.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arbitres View Post
Let's hope the most immature users are permanently banned, Kaioshin-sama. While I would like a short series or just an OVA, I do hope at least somewhat for the Code Geass franchise to expand beyond Lelouch and his world/era.

When I think about success of the anime in general, it boils down to how they do the ending -- R2's ending was somewhat unsatisfactory in my eyes, and so I hope they keep the characters and keep everything in logic. (Or as logical as a world with a strange power and enigmatic ruins can be.)

If anything, I want them to expand beyond the horizon and see if they can hold well without Lelouch or any of the other characters. I want to see more adventure, new geass, and good storyline. All and all, I want to see a 'new' Code Geass, and I won't hold my breath... Considering Lelouch of the Rebellion is still going strong.

The second season of Code Geass left a lot of unanswered questions, as well as a lot of contradictions of some of the characters, like Dietard, from season one. Not to mention a lot of stuff that did not make a lot of sense leading up to the Zero Requiem. It appears that the logic of the first season was removed from Code Geass R2. If you ask me, the producers want to keep as far away from the second season as possible.

Last edited by darthfury78; 2010-05-19 at 23:44.
darthfury78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-05-20, 04:14   Link #1554
ZeroSama
All Hail Lelouch!
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eternal Dreamer View Post
Takuma: At first, I thought, “This looks difficult”. My previous work, “Nightmare of Nunnally”, was a spin-off, so this is my first work in CG’s official history. Truly difficult. (Laugh)

So "Renya of the Darkness" is actually canon then, as in part of the anime history and not some spin-off manga history? And all indications point towards anime Lelouch being alive?

They must surely have been loling at all those "Lelouch is dead, get over it,WOG says he's deader than dead" people thinking of all the fanrage and broken base drama that is about to ensue.

What wonderful trolls you are Sunrise, never change.
ZeroSama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-05-20, 10:25   Link #1555
konart

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZeroSama View Post
So "Renya of the Darkness" is actually canon then, as in part of the anime history and not some spin-off manga history? And all indications point towards anime Lelouch being alive?

They must surely have been loling at all those "Lelouch is dead, get over it,WOG says he's deader than dead" people thinking of all the fanrage and broken base drama that is about to ensue.

What wonderful trolls you are Sunrise, never change.
Yes

No

There aren't ANY indicators of anything
Old 2010-05-20, 10:52   Link #1556
Xander

Particularly because there is no indication of this new manga being a sequel to Code Geass R2 taking place in the future.

That's the only context where the whole "is Lelouch alive or dead?" debate could be resolved in either direction. If instead of that someone in this manga merely has a crazy "Time Travel Geass" or "Spirit Summoning Geass" then...I would consider it a strange idea but it's still something completely different.

Anyway, that's enough of this from me.
Old 2010-05-20, 18:29   Link #1557
Eternal Dreamer
Seeker of Truth and Lies

Sorry for taking so long, but I've finally finished the translation of the interview! Warning, though, there are some places where I'm unsure of my translating, but don't worry, it's not in any parts that contain important information.

Interview:

Quote:
“Code Geass: Jet-Black Renya”
  • Starting on May 26th, it will begin serialization in the monthly publication “Shonen Ace” (Kadokawa Shoten), July issue. The first chapter will have a big volume of 51 pages!

The curtain is finally being raised. I have the two people working on the first part of the Code Geass project, “Jet-Black Renya”, here today to talk about their enthusiasm for the new production. Could you tell us about why you made the stage of this Geass story in the Edo period?

Taniguchi: I requested Takuma-san for this new project because “NoN” was the most freely acknowledged in the world as part the manga expansion of Code Geass. And I wanted to rely on his drawing abilities in order to create a particular atmosphere for this story.

Takuma: I personally want to soon read the continuation to Director Taniguchi’s plot, where C.C. appears in medieval Japan. In the anime version, Lelouch was a very powerful character, but now, though it really strikes the wall against what can be called “shounen” (Meaning, I think, that it’s difficult to call Code Geass a “shounen” story), I personally think that it’s appropriate that we’re clearing the way for a shounen manga. That’s why it so fun to draw.

Taniguchi: I thought I’d like to adopt the characteristics of a positive shounen manga to Code Geass. Also, I wanted to make a story that happens in ancient times. When the country and its power are rising at a time when science and technology haven’t developed yet. The process of drawing it is fun, too. Meetings are constantly being arranged between me and Takuma-san, so that we can work out the content as we look over a sketch. For example, I requested that Renya have a special characteristic for one of his hands. Renya isn’t an honours student, but he has dignity, so you should be happy, right? (Unsure on that sentence) While Lelouch was a main character who rebelled with the power of his intelligence, Renya is a main character who fights for justice with his body.

Takuma: Renya has the impression of the anime’s Kururugi Suzaku, right? Personally, I was a fan of the anime too, and I’d like to insert such elements into it for the fans as well. The content of our first talk was done mostly on Taniguchi’s part, by the way. If we had down all the drawings for the script he suggested, it would have been about 70 pages altogether (Smile), so we had to regulate our first talk. (Unsure on last sentence)

Taniguchi: Sorry about that! I hadn’t studied on how to do it sufficiently (Smile).

Have you both already seen the whole composition?

Taniguchi: We’ve already prepared the basic flow until the ending. Because it’s a manga, though, it’ll be changing as it goes along.

Takuma: By making it into a manga just as it is, I think it have a worthy future ahead of it. I’d like to be able to tell this story while enjoying myself.
Well, there you have it! We didn't get much details here, but at least we're starting to an idea of how this manga is going to be. Just six more days now until it finally comes out! (Once again, I pray that the RAWs are put up quickly.)
Old 2010-05-21, 03:21   Link #1558
-KarumA-
(。☉౪ ⊙。)
*Author

Location: In Maya world, where all is 3D and everything crashes
over lapse... uh oh..

@-@ in b4 plot-holes, plot-holes and many more plot-holes
-KarumA- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-05-21, 09:29   Link #1559
Xander

Quote:
Originally Posted by -KarumA- View Post
over lapse... uh oh..

@-@ in b4 plot-holes, plot-holes and many more plot-holes
I assume you're referring to Kawaguchi Yoshitaka's comments about Code Geass Gaiden, because he said that "overlaps" with Lelouch of the Rebellion?

Well, I don't see why what would be an issue when it's already been said that the new anime production takes place in Europe, hundreds of miles away from Japan or even Britannia. We know almost nothing about whatever happened in the European front during the time of the first season. It's about the closest thing they have to a clean slate and an unexplored setting. That's probably the least problematic location anyone could have chosen.

Early in R2 Schneizel, Suzaku and the Knights of the Rounds in general will have some victories in Europe, but that's it. Almost anything could have happened beforehand, especially because the main plot never had much to do with Europe.

That's not to say there won't be any details in need of an explanation, sure, but it's hard to judge something in a purely preemptive fashion. In other words, talking about whether there will be plot holes or not is far too premature.
Old 2010-05-21, 13:34   Link #1560
darthfury78

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xander View Post
I assume you're referring to Kawaguchi Yoshitaka's comments about Code Geass Gaiden, because he said that "overlaps" with Lelouch of the Rebellion?

Well, I don't see why what would be an issue when it's already been said that the new anime production takes place in Europe, hundreds of miles away from Japan or even Britannia. We know almost nothing about whatever happened in the European front during the time of the first season. It's about the closest thing they have to a clean slate and an unexplored setting. That's probably the least problematic location anyone could have chosen.

Early in R2 Schneizel, Suzaku and the Knights of the Rounds in general will have some victories in Europe, but that's it. Almost anything could have happened beforehand, especially because the main plot never had much to do with Europe.

That's not to say there won't be any details in need of an explanation, sure, but it's hard to judge something in a purely preemptive fashion. In other words, talking about whether there will be plot holes or not is far too premature.
I hope that the new series will not have the pitfall and frustrations as Code Geass: Lelouch of the Rebellion had. Although I wouldn't mind seeing a remake of Lelouch of the Rebellion. Nevertheless, I am happy that the story doesn't take place around or after the second season of the original series.
darthfury78 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
drama, mecha