AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Light Novels

Notices

Old 2011-06-10, 00:45   Link #1281
Cosmic Eagle
今宵の虎徹は血に飢えている

You know I think trying to critique Reki's actions here is like trying to critique a Space Marine's or hardcore assassin's (at best) actions. She's generally emotionless due to the Irokane and is loyal only to her clan.

So I think trying to criticize her is a bit I dunno....pointless? She does what she does and that's it.
Old 2011-06-10, 00:51   Link #1282
Glacierfairy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaos2Frozen View Post
Then let me remind you in vol 4 when he had promised to remain as Aria's partner till the end of his time (In Butei). Suddenly, because Aria is leaving for England, he doesn't want to have any more memories with her?
I interpret this as "since you are determined to return to England, I had better not create any opportunities for you to regret your decision". In other words, it is a form of 'I want my beloved to be happy' even though Kinji is in deep denial about it. As you have noted, he is playing the double tsundere act with Aria, so this should not be surprising. Unfortunately for him, as later volumes will show, it will be impossible for him to prevent "having any memories" with her.
Glacierfairy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-06-10, 00:53   Link #1283
Icy.Tear
二人は独自の世界を展開

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glacierfairy View Post
Finally, I have a question for the translators. Back in Volume 5 when Sherlock Holmes mentioned about the "Scarlet Research", I wonder whether is it written as 緋色の研究 in the original Japanese? Because if that is so, then it will be a direct reference to the title of the first Sherlock Holmes novel A Study in Scarlet which I believe is translated into Japanese as 緋色の研究.
Yes, it is. If no one has any objections, I shall change it.

このときに、この二人は独自の世界を展開・・・
Icy.Tear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-06-10, 01:57   Link #1284
Hiro Hayase

Quote:
Wait wait, this has nothing to do with my statement of "Kinji's only cares that he himself doesn't get hurt from Aria leaving him, that little punk doesn't care if Aria gets hurt from his actions."

Sigh, that's why I put in the effort to type that extra line of "Or at least someone that have treated her like a friend" every single time this topic comes up

Even if Reki never considers Aria as a friend, to point her weapon at her so easily at someone who had treated her kindly... I would be careful around her, treating her friendly won't promise you safety.

Yes, but all that means is that Kinji was lucky; treating Reki nice does not ensure that she won't pull one at the back of your head.

Since he's a tsundere, his actions hold more meaning than his words- [copy] he went against his brother, crossed an Ocean, and fought Sherlock Holmes, and even willing to die to bring her back. [/paste]

Point is- He had definitely said it, he had definitely promised to be her partner till the end of this year.
Spoiler for Volume 6, chapter 2:

Isn't it Aria's fault for misunderstanding without hearing the other parties explanation?

Reki never had her own thoughts to begin with, until Kinji initiated his humanization plan. Her behavior is akin to that of a samurai, who is always vigilant. Just as Aria was about to strike Kinji in a fit of anger, Reki came between them and slapped Aria. In doing so, Reki protected Kinji from being hit and made herself the target for Aria's anger. The past Reki would have done anything the [Wind] ordered, but the present Reki has a bit of emotions, so it will be different since she has an attachment to Kinji now and probably knows better. Reki would not harm Kinji anymore, since she swore fealty to him already...there's no point bring these "what if's" into the argument.

Aria was earlier defeated by her underclassmen Koko in aru=kata and felt frustrated about that loss, so now her temper is shorter than before. However, her anger is still completely unreasonable because she wants to take it out on Reki instead. Generally, most snipers cannot use close range combat and Aria still attacked her regardless of that fact. Reki the samurai that she is, interpreted Aria's aggression as danger for both Kinji and herself. Reki merely did what she thought was the correct course of action. It's like the tradition of [pillage wife], read volume 7 for more details.

Reki at the time did not have emotions, so how could she have a friend? Wouldn't you need emotions to consider someone a friend? She wouldn't understand what its like being treated like friend....Reki's mind is that of a child's. Reki's isn't that skilled at reading people's emotions.

Kinji was chosen because he was undeniably strong in his first year. Reki probably scouted him out and began her intelligence gatherings from there. The [Wind] could have said to pick Kinji due to Reki's high assessments of Assault department Kinji.

If Aria truly wants to keep Kinji as her partner, then she should start treating him better. Ironically, those comic relief scenarios where Aria is firing bullets on Kinji, is not very enjoyable to Kinji, although the audience finds it entertaining.

That large passage from the light novel explains it all. Why Kinji is giving the cold shoulder and other stuff.

Kinji's promise to Aria to be partners was only valid until they defeated EU and freed Kanae-san (Aria's mother). Kinji probably thought that it would take them until the end of the year to finish, but it didn't. The initial promise was to stay as Aria's partner until they defeated EU and freed Kanae-san, Kinji made that promise sincerely after understanding Aria's situation, nevertheless Kinji stayed as partners even after the "Butei Killer" case due to his will and not because of his promise.

Spoiler for Volume 5, chapter 5:

The fallout that happened in Volume 6 did not happen because Kinji didn't keep his promise, but rather it was due to Aria's jealousy and misunderstanding that escalated into a confrontation between her and Reki. Kinji kept true to his promise.

@Glacierfairy I agree. Kinji's trying to help her out in his own way.

P.S. I strongly advise that you wait until volume 7 is fully translated, it will surely answer your questions.

Last edited by Hiro Hayase; 2011-06-10 at 02:28.
Hiro Hayase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-06-10, 03:37   Link #1285
Chaos2Frozen
We're Back

Quote:
Originally Posted by mysterious View Post
Well, that line of thinking is made by Kinji assertion, but in that situation how would Reki knows what Aria thinking. No way she gonna keeps lying down there and asks Aria "so are you going to continue to hit me or not?" Also you know, Aria could be less of a spoiled brat that trigger happy every time she is pissed, and talks it out like the noble that she is supposed to be.
How would she know? Because she's Reki, the girl who has incredible sense of preception when it comes to fighting. You're saying that she can't tell if someone is hesitating to carry on fighting?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mysterious View Post
It is my personal opinion that once you decide to attack someone, be prepared for whatever they throw back at you. It is not like I gonna killed anyone that attack me, but I have no complain to anyone that decide to do that. Obviously, there is also the matter of law in real life, but this is fiction so yeah.
And what happens when the person stopped fighting? You pulled out a weapon and say an eye for an eye and prepare to gut them?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cosmic Eagle View Post
You know I think trying to critique Reki's actions here is like trying to critique a Space Marine's or hardcore assassin's (at best) actions. She's generally emotionless due to the Irokane and is loyal only to her clan.

So I think trying to criticize her is a bit I dunno....pointless? She does what she does and that's it.
I get it, she's a child, she's emotionless, she doesn't know what she's doing etc- It still doesn't excuse her and it certainly doesn't mean I can accept her actions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glacierfairy View Post
I interpret this as "since you are determined to return to England, I had better not create any opportunities for you to regret your decision". In other words, it is a form of 'I want my beloved to be happy' even though Kinji is in deep denial about it. As you have noted, he is playing the double tsundere act with Aria, so this should not be surprising. Unfortunately for him, as later volumes will show, it will be impossible for him to prevent "having any memories" with her.
Yes, and I've also said that it's a completely selfish way of thinking on Kinji's part. He's only protecting himself, what if Aria wants to spend the rest of her time with him? Is he going to throw that away because he can't take it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hiro Hayase View Post

Isn't it Aria's fault for misunderstanding without hearing the other parties explanation?
So... When Kinji's finally given a chance to explain... Rather than set the record straight... He brilliantly decides to make the situation worse out of spite? Because he's stressed? Is he going to do this every time he gets frustrated and had a bad night sleep?

It's not like this is the first time, he knows damn well what kind of girl Aria is, yet he risked it all to bring her back into his life again, and only now he suddenly remembered she's this kind of person? Can't he decide once and for all whether he wants her or not?

If he wants her to stay then live with it!

If he wants her out of his life don't go chasing after her!

Don't go doing things half way and just leave her when things get a little too dicey! If you don't like how things are then changed her! Don't just complain about it!

Quote:
Reki never had her own thoughts to begin with, until Kinji initiated his humanization plan. Her behavior is akin to that of a samurai, who is always vigilant. Just as Aria was about to strike Kinji in a fit of anger, Reki came between them and slapped Aria. In doing so, Reki protected Kinji from being hit and made herself the target for Aria's anger. The past Reki would have done anything the [Wind] ordered, but the present Reki has a bit of emotions, so it will be different since she has an attachment to Kinji now and probably knows better. Reki would not harm Kinji anymore, since she swore fealty to him already...there's no point bring these "what if's" into the argument.

Aria was earlier defeated by her underclassmen Koko in aru=kata and felt frustrated about that loss, so now her temper is shorter than before. However, her anger is still completely unreasonable because she wants to take it out on Reki instead. Generally, most snipers cannot use close range combat and Aria still attacked her regardless of that fact. Reki the samurai that she is, interpreted Aria's aggression as danger for both Kinji and herself. Reki merely did what she thought was the correct course of action. It's like the tradition of [pillage wife], read volume 7 for more details.
That's fine and all, but you are forgetting that Reki was the one to drive both Kinji and Aria apart in the first place- previous volume, such a well timed move just when Kinji and Aria was about to build their relationship.

She not some innocent little girl caught up in all this only trying to protect Kinji. She the reason for all this crap to begin with. Aria might have misunderstood the situation, but Hell if Reki didn't continue to push her in that general direction.

(The bottom half is pretty much the same response as the upper half of my reply to your post so I'll cut it short)

Last edited by Chaos2Frozen; 2011-06-10 at 03:58.
Chaos2Frozen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-06-10, 04:00   Link #1286
neowind

Spoiler for about Aria mother?:
neowind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-06-10, 04:09   Link #1287
Glacierfairy

Quote:
Originally Posted by neowind View Post
Spoiler for about Aria mother?:
Spoiler for Re: about Aria's mother:
Glacierfairy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-06-10, 04:39   Link #1288
Hiro Hayase

Quote:
So... When Kinji's finally given a chance to explain... Rather than set the record straight... He brilliantly decides to make the situation worse out of spite? Because he's stressed? Is he going to do this every time he gets frustrated and had a bad night sleep?

It's not like this is the first time, he knows damn well what kind of girl Aria is, yet he risked it all to bring her back into his life again, and only now he suddenly remembered she's this kind of person? Can't he decide once and for all whether he wants her or not?

If he wants her to stay then live with it!

If he wants her out of his life don't go chasing after her!

Don't go doing things half way and just leave her when things get a little too dicey! If you don't like how things are then changed her! Don't just complain about it!

That's fine and all, but you are forgetting that Reki was the one to drive both Kinji and Aria apart in the first place- previous volume, such a well timed move just when Kinji and Aria was about to build their relationship.

She not some innocent little girl caught up in all this only trying to protect Kinji. She the reason for all this crap to begin with. Aria might have misunderstood the situation, but Hell if Reki didn't continue to push her in that general direction.

(The bottom half is pretty much the same response as the upper half of my reply to your post so I'll cut it short)
Spoiler for Volume 7, chapter 1:

That pretty much explains Reki's motivations and background a bit.

Spoiler for Volume 6, Chapter 2:

It seemed more like a spontaneous burst of anger to me. Kinji isn't perfect, he has his flaws just like any other person, and Aria has her flaws too.

Like I said before, When your extremely angry at another person, you are not thinking at all. Anger is an emotion that just consumes you with rage, until you burn out. Majority of people who lash out at other people when angry are regretful when they calm down. That's basically what Kinji was doing.
Spoiler for Volume 6, Chapter 2:

Here Kinji realizes that he made the mistake of pouring more oil to a fire. I repeat this again if Aria truly wants to keep Kinji as her partner, then she should treat him better. If Aria liked him, then she could have confessed earlier.

Plus, take into consideration that Kinji was in a "Sniper Restriction" by Reki. There is too many factors involved to shift the blame towards one person. Kinji could have acted differently, Reki could have acted differently, Aria could acted differently, and Riko too instead just egging them on. It seemed like everyone there lost their cool a bit in that scene, except Riko.

Kinji, Reki, Aria all share responsibility. If even one of them could be honest and listened to the other's explanations or situations, the confrontation could have been avoided.

Here, Aria was on the verge of striking Kinji because of what he said. Reki slapped Aria in order to protect Kinji.

Spoiler for Volume 6, chapter 1:

Reki was merely being true to her words "A bride does everything her lord wishes. I vow that my bullets will seek vengeance upon all those nearby who wish to harm my lord. I will eradicate them, not leaving a trace." Aria was about to harm her lord/husband, so tried to eradicate her completely.

Although in the present, Kinji forbade any further killing and to stick to Butei law to Reki. So now she usually asks Kinji if its okay to kill whenever in a crisis. Also, Kinji finds Reki's easier to handle than Aria because she actually listens to him, except when his life is in danger.

Spoiler for Spoilers from volume 7:

P.S. Your words are steadily becoming more heated. Also, your dislike of Reki and Kinji is slowly sipping into your words, try to be more neutral. Hate the action, but never the character.

Last edited by Hiro Hayase; 2011-06-10 at 04:51.
Old 2011-06-10, 05:53   Link #1289
Mars Mode

You said it was the fault of Reki but if the person whom you love, or you have decided to marry has a romantic moment with another person, would you stay quiet. I would not, at the very last I would Interrupt them.

Reki is the first character that it said. "Please marry me".

In Vol 4. Are you talking about the bet, that was him in Histeria Mode, he doesnt have control of most things, that he does or says in Histeria Mode. Unless he means it, he doesnt take responsibility for most of the things he says in HM and neither Aria or Kinji took for serious the promise of that time.
Mars Mode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-06-10, 07:20   Link #1290
Chaos2Frozen
We're Back

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mars Mode View Post
You said it was the fault of Reki but if the person whom you love, or you have decided to marry has a romantic moment with another person, would you stay quiet. I would not, at the very last I would Interrupt them.

Reki is the first character that it said. "Please marry me".
'Fault' as in she's the cause, the catalyst, the source, the origin, the beginning, the one who initiated this event.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mars Mode View Post
In Vol 4. Are you talking about the bet, that was him in Histeria Mode, he doesnt have control of most things, that he does or says in Histeria Mode. Unless he means it, he doesnt take responsibility for most of the things he says in HM and neither Aria or Kinji took for serious the promise of that time.
Nay, I was referring to the summer festival when both of them went out after that volume's falling out.

Quote:
It seemed more like a spontaneous burst of anger to me. Kinji isn't perfect, he has his flaws just like any other person, and Aria has her flaws too.

Like I said before, When your extremely angry at another person, you are not thinking at all. Anger is an emotion that just consumes you with rage, until you burn out. Majority of people who lash out at other people when angry are regretful when they calm down. That's basically what Kinji was doing.

Something akin to pouring oil on a fire.

Here Kinji realizes that he made the mistake of pouring more oil to a fire. I repeat this again if Aria truly wants to keep Kinji as her partner, then she should treat him better. If Aria liked him, then she could have confessed earlier.
He realized it's a mistake, and continued down that path, even coming up with a self justification that he's doing this for her own good. If it was mere impulse in the heat of the moment, why did he need to come up with that excuse? And he certainly didn't seem remorseful at all.

Quote:
Plus, take into consideration that Kinji was in a "Sniper Restriction" by Reki. There is too many factors involved to shift the blame towards one person. Kinji could have acted differently, Reki could have acted differently, Aria could acted differently, and Riko too instead just egging them on. It seemed like everyone there lost their cool a bit in that scene, except Riko.

Kinji, Reki, Aria all share responsibility. If even one of them could be honest and listened to the other's explanations or situations, the confrontation could have been avoided.

Here, Aria was on the verge of striking Kinji because of what he said. Reki slapped Aria in order to protect Kinji.
I'm coming down on Kinji hard because while Reki may have started it, while Aria have got to this on her own; Kinji was the one who kicked the whole house of cards crashing down. He stood at the pinnacle and was given the chance the turn this around- And he blew it because he couldn't control himself?

This isn't the first time; Every time the two of them gets into a heated argument, Kinji either lashes out back at Aria, hitting her soft spot like her trust issues, their partnership and I think even her mother, or he continues to hide his secrets, be it the HSS or Kana.

But you know what really ticks me off? In the end they would somehow make up and it's all fine till the next volume. Now why does this bother me even more than the previous ones? Because of that thing that happened in the Vostok- It was nice, it was sweet, it was almost an end-gamer, and it meant nothing. Their relationship doesn't seem to be getting anywhere. All that business with EU, Patra and Sherlock, all meaningless. Nothing has changed, Kinji is still the same, Aria is still the same.

In fact, this volume reminds me of Shiraiyuki's...

Quote:
P.S. Your words are steadily becoming more heated. Also, your dislike of Reki and Kinji is slowly sipping into your words, try to be more neutral. Hate the action, but never the character.
Meh, Reki's like the after thought, Kinji's the target of my distaste.

I've already mentioned how I'm annoyed that their relationship never improved, but another reason why I'm raging about Kinji's action in this volume is that he never saw himself as part of the problem to blame, that means no regret- Sure he realized it's a mistake, but he certainly isn't beating himself up about it. And worse still is him trying to justify what he had said to Aria was for her own good.

Last edited by Chaos2Frozen; 2011-06-10 at 07:34.
Chaos2Frozen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-06-10, 07:42   Link #1291
Icy.Tear
二人は独自の世界を展開

I have a slight problem.

Quote:
「理子もご一緒にいかがですかっ?…」
…「ご一緒にいかがですか」って
お前はマックのポテトか。
The problem lies in the fact that I find no relation between 'Can I come along?' with being a McDonald's potato. Any ideas or comments would be appreciated.

Quote:
「ご一緒にポテトはいかがですか?」は都市伝説?

yorunochapaohさん

「ご一緒にポテトはいかがですか?」は都市伝説?

マクドナルドやその他のファストフード店によく行きますが、
一度も言われたことがありません。
昔は言ってたけど、最近は言われてないのか、
それともそもそもそんなこと言わないのか?
どうなのでしょうか?
Searching on Google, I find this.

Now, I understand slightly more. Potato is fries, rather than an actual potato.

I assume Riko is saying something akin to, "Would you like fries with that," in English. One of the people who answered said:

"Isn't it because there were no menus in the past?

Now, if you don't say that you just want a burger, it's automatically served as a menu."

However, as far as I know, 「ご一緒にいかがですか?」 is also used normally, with the aforementioned connotation.

Might be tricky to translate.

このときに、この二人は独自の世界を展開・・・

Last edited by Icy.Tear; 2011-06-10 at 07:53.
Old 2011-06-10, 08:10   Link #1292
Cosmic Eagle
今宵の虎徹は血に飢えている

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icy.Tear View Post
I have a slight problem.

The problem lies in the fact that I find no relation between 'Can I come along?' with being a McDonald's potato. Any ideas or comments would be appreciated.

Searching on Google, I find this.

Now, I understand slightly more. Potato is fries, rather than an actual potato.

I assume Riko is saying something akin to, "Would you like fries with that," in English. One of the people who answered said:

"Isn't it because there were no menus in the past?

Now, if you don't say that you just want a burger, it's automatically served as a menu."

However, as far as I know, 「ご一緒にいかがですか?」 is also used normally, with the aforementioned connotation.

Might be tricky to translate.
It's "would you want fires with that" AFAIK...
Old 2011-06-10, 08:25   Link #1293
Icy.Tear
二人は独自の世界を展開

That's grammatically incorrect.

'Would you like fries with that?' is a question asking, in the event of receiving fries with that, would you like it?

'Would you want fries with that?" is a question asking, in the event of receiving fries with that, would you want it?

Which one makes sense.

このときに、この二人は独自の世界を展開・・・
Old 2011-06-10, 08:33   Link #1294
Cosmic Eagle
今宵の虎徹は血に飢えている

Quote:

'Would you like fries with that?' is a question asking, in the event of receiving fries with that, would you like it?

'Would you want fries with that?" is a question asking, in the event of receiving fries with that, would you want it?

Which one makes sense.
I mean the first one although to me both are used the same?

Would you like fries with that? Yeah, Ok. *receives fires*

Would you want fries with that? Sure. *Receives fries*

Both are practically the same with the same effect in the end are they not?
Old 2011-06-10, 09:32   Link #1295
Mars Mode

In vol 4 he has never said I will always be your partner, he said until we resolve the matter with EU.

Then youre misdirecting your anger.

You should know that the love between Aria and Kinji isnt simple and it wont come to pass under certain circunstances.

Kinji is in a dificult spot, he has been hurt by women which gives him enough reasons to hide Histeria Savant Sindrome. He is higly valued by everyone, yet he feels that the one that thay value is he in HM and that is not him. And his desire of stop being a Butei is strong, because he doesnt want to end in a possible way like that in which his brother supposedly died. And doesnt want to be forced in a situation where he has to kill someone. Hes afraid after all his own brother has already proposed the Idea of kill. Giving the possibility of him becoming something that he doesnt want to be.

Aria, in the world there is a few people capable of being with her. Everyone else is weak, and the few have their own objectives. She is always isolated by her sense of justice and her own goals. She has been hurt by her own family, making this a dificult situation for her to actually trust someone, and because of her own fear of being alone she always draws the worst conclusion thus creating bad misunderstandings. And to top it all she is a Noble, making it all the more difficult for her to be able to stay with someone of her own free will.

There are more but I dislike writing much. Yet these are the principal points.

You could say when Kinji was going to tell her about HSS was a huge step.
Mars Mode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-06-10, 11:34   Link #1296
Cosmic Eagle
今宵の虎徹は血に飢えている

Chap 1 vol 7 fully done.

Going on to chap 4 next.
Old 2011-06-10, 12:05   Link #1297
Cosmic Eagle
今宵の虎徹は血に飢えている

Returning to Butei High in the night….
After the Masters ensured that there were no severely wounded casualties, they quickly split us up by subject and distributed debriefing records. Disgusting. Let us rest a bit first. At least allow us a bowl of katsudon. Aria was taken by the Assault instructor Ranbyou to the principal’s office. Riko and I were Inquesta while Mutou was of Logi; we were all interviewed by our respective instructors. After that, the Masters got into contact with the Tokyo Metropolitan Police Department, the media and the JR. I thought we would be castigated for cutting the Shinkansen however with the capture of the perpetrators, this did not happen.

Could someone help me start chap 4 on the BT page with those words? No idea how to open a new chapter....
Old 2011-06-10, 12:13   Link #1298
Hiro Hayase

Quote:

Which one makes sense.
I would say use the first one. "Would you like fries with that?" I used that term before in real life to intentionally aggravate people.

Spoiler for Volume 7, chapter 1:

We could use a better term for "throughout" here in the above sentence like 'all the time' or 'everywhere' or 'from beginning to end'. Which one of those following terms make more sense in context of what Kinji is saying, instead of 'throughout'.

@Cosmic Eagle Did you pm Hikari?She's currently translating chapter 2 as we speak. If not then I can ask Teh_ping to create a new page for you or ask how to create one.

Last edited by Hiro Hayase; 2011-06-10 at 15:47.
Old 2011-06-10, 12:24   Link #1299
Cosmic Eagle
今宵の虎徹は血に飢えている

Someone suggested changing E.U to I.U on BT....

Technically, this is more accurate since WWII Kaigun submarines used the prefix I.

But then, are the BT staff okay with changing so much? What do you all think?
Old 2011-06-10, 12:40   Link #1300
Icy.Tear
二人は独自の世界を展開

I do not care. The only reason E.U. is used is because of its pronunciation.

このときに、この二人は独自の世界を展開・・・

Tags
action, detectives, guns, harem, lolis, mf bunko j, romance, shounen