AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired M-Z > Nanoha/Vivid Franchise

Notices

Old 2013-03-28, 19:40   Link #261
Sunder the Gold

Think of a spell's rank as its weight, and a mage's rank as their lifting strength.

I can lift a sword, but swords are heavy, and I wouldn't be able to swing it very well. My rank isn't enough to easily handle the rank of the sword.

Swordsmen are much stronger, and able to use the same weapon much easier. Their rank is high enough that using the sword is easy for them.

By the same token, just because Hayate is the mightiest mage in the world, that doesn't mean she can easily cast the mighiest of spells. It just means that she's CAPABLE of casting them. No one else has the ability to even TRY.

She ought to be handling lesser spells with trivial ease, but when StrikerS came around, Tsuzuki decided to go with "big power means clumsy handling". Previous to that time, the only stated difficulty Hayate had with her power was getting an Armed Device strong enough to survive being used as a channel.
Sunder the Gold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-03-28, 19:42   Link #262
Sansker
Manus ad Ferrum

Yes but that is not the point here. Magic is still haven’t been define as constant on one’s body or if this grows up with time and training or just time. So a scale that measures that should try to keep it simple. However this is not what they do. And there is when I say is a little complicated. Can be explain? Yes, but that doesn’t mean is any less weird.
Old 2013-03-28, 19:43   Link #263
Nanya01
Left for TFF
*Author

Send a message via AIM to Nanya01
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunder the Gold View Post
Think of a spell's rank as its weight, and a mage's rank as their lifting strength.

I can lift a sword, but swords are heavy, and I wouldn't be able to swing it very well. My rank isn't enough to easily handle the rank of the sword.

Swordsmen are much stronger, and able to use the same weapon much easier. Their rank is high enough that using the sword is easy for them.

By the same token, just because Hayate is the mightiest mage in the world, that doesn't mean she can easily cast the mighiest of spells. It just means that she's CAPABLE of casting them. No one else has the ability to even TRY.

She ought to be handling lesser spells with trivial ease, but when StrikerS came around, Tsuzuki decided to go with "big power means clumsy handling". Previous to that time, the only stated difficulty Hayate had with her power was getting an Armed Device strong enough to survive being used as a channel.
To be fair, Hayate flat out said that her Linker Core was fused with Reinforce's and that was how Rein Zwei was born, and, unlike most magic users who come into their spells, Hayate had all her spells dumped on her, so she only has a few low-level spells, and most of her stuff is long range blow the fuck out of everything spells that take a long time to cast, and since she got her spells improperly in canon, she needs to have both a circle (either circle or triangle), plus chanting (for the most part).

She got away with it in A's, because her Linker Core hadn't been completely fused yet.

My fics Due to certain things, I am not here, find me over on TFF.
Nanya01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-03-28, 19:44   Link #264
Nanya01
Left for TFF
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sansker View Post
Yes but that is not the point here. Magic is still haven’t been define as constant on one’s body or if this grows up with time and training or just time. So a scale that measures that should try to keep it simple. However this is not what they do. And there is when I say is a little complicated. Can be explain? Yes, but that doesn’t mean is any less weird.
Sansker, it's called "suspension of disbelief" and "Magic A is Magic A".

So long as it's consistent, don't worry about it.

It doesn't have to make sense so long as it's consistent.

Old 2013-03-28, 19:49   Link #265
Sansker
Manus ad Ferrum

I allow my "suspension of disbelief" kicks in, but if something doesn't make sense then doesn't make sense. I will call that to be confusing.
Old 2013-03-28, 19:50   Link #266
Nanya01
Left for TFF
*Author

Again, it's not confusing at all. They flat out explain how stuff works

I think you're being obtuse just for the sake of being argumentative.

Old 2013-03-28, 19:51   Link #267
Keroko
Adeptus Animus
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nanya01 View Post
To be fair, Hayate flat out said that her Linker Core was fused with Reinforce's and that was how Rein Zwei was born
Nnnnot exactly. That actually took a conscious effort and lots of research. It wasn't just "Reinforce fuses core with Hayate, poof, hayate is pregnant with Zwei." Zwei was build the way all unison devices are build.
Keroko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-03-28, 19:53   Link #268
Nanya01
Left for TFF
*Author

It was a beautiful and natural process. XP

But, no, I was talking about how in the sound stages that hers and Rein's Linker Cores had been fused and using that fusion was how Rein Zwei was born.

Old 2013-03-28, 19:58   Link #269
Keroko
Adeptus Animus
*Author

Huh, I remember that differently. Which one's we talking about again?

Oh, and on Hayate, it's not that casting spells is impossible for her, it's just that her long-range (and I mean kilometer level long-range) accuracy and casting speed takes a bit of a hit. She does just fine in the first episode all by her lonesome.
Old 2013-03-28, 20:00   Link #270
Rising Dragon
Goat Herder
*Author

Neither of you are wrong; Nanya's just remarking on how the linker core fusion was necessary to create Rein.
Old 2013-03-28, 20:02   Link #271
Nanya01
Left for TFF
*Author

Here, just after Rein's dream of Reinforce and the Wolkenritter in the past...

Hayate: Rein’s dreams, you say?
Mariel: Before it seems she was having normal dreams but this time…
Hayate: It might be the same left over memories I experienced long ago. My linker core is melded with the original Reinforce, and Rein’s linker core is born from my own core so...
Mariel: You’re saying that the memories and emotions have been left behind? That sounds like an occult/supernatural/unnatural phenomena to me.
Hayate: Well, I am pretty unnatural myself. It was a Lost Logia after all.

Vita practically hated Reinforce and the other knights in the past.

Old 2013-03-28, 20:38   Link #272
Keroko
Adeptus Animus
*Author

Ah, that one. That's a case of "correlation doesn't equal causation." Reinforce knew Hayate would create a new unison device (she promised, after all) and knowing this pre-programmed a message to her core. It was a conscious act on Reinforce's part, but Hayate creating Zwei was completely her choice as well, right down to her functions and appearance.

From the A's sound stage 3:

Hayate: Yeah, but to be frank I felt that I should make it myself from the start. I'm thinking of getting help from Yuuno-kun and Mari-san to start designing but it's really difficult.
Shamal: So you're thinking about a unison device after all?
Hayate: Mid's AI are so unaffectionate, and I want the storage to be in the shape of a book. When I think about it, a master program doesn't sound too bad. A child who inherits Reinforce's name should be harmonizing. Something I have to make with my own hands.
Viita: Yeah.
Signum: We wait with joy at the arrival of a new companion who shall protect you with us.
Shamal: Until then, we'll just have to make do with the standard issue devices.
Hayate: I'll do my best.
Viita: If Hayate's going to make her, I'd like her to be a lot younger looking than me. Hey Hayate, will you make like that?
Hayate: Oh, I'm still not sure. I haven't given any thought to what she'll look like yet.
Shamal: Well when she'll finally created, there'll be no doubt that she'll be the youngest member of our family.

Last edited by Keroko; 2013-03-28 at 20:52.
Old 2013-03-28, 21:06   Link #273
Kaijo
Banned

Location: Somewhere over the rainbow, in a house dropped on an ugly, old woman.
Send a message via AIM to Kaijo Send a message via MSN to Kaijo
To be fair, this is how the series skirted with the issue of one woman getting another pregnant and giving birth. I mean, if you wanna look at the subtext. Rein has Reinforce's mismatched stocking and Hayate's hair cross. So while it was technically Hayate's choice, we also knew it was going to happen.

Nanoha probably has the only instance of two women "fathering" a child, yet not actually be romantically attached. Although Reinforce did spend some time inside Hayate... /shot
Kaijo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-03-28, 21:26   Link #274
CrowKenobi
One PUNCH!
*Administrator

Before this thread gets even more off track, can we please move the current discussion to the Magic and Technology of MGLN thread?
CrowKenobi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-03-29, 10:00   Link #275
MeisterBabylon
~ Your Smile ~
*Author

When I saw the thread title, I thot "StrikerS would make a terrible compilation movie."

And then I saw ORIGINAL WRITING.

DAMN IT SEVEN ARCS, YOU BETTER HAVE SHINBO WORKING ON THIS PROJECT!! OR ELSE THIS WILL BE DOG DAYS 03!!
Old 2013-03-29, 10:56   Link #276
Kaijo
Banned

Location: Somewhere over the rainbow, in a house dropped on an ugly, old woman.
Send a message via AIM to Kaijo Send a message via MSN to Kaijo
Quote:
Originally Posted by MeisterBabylon View Post
When I saw the thread title, I thot "StrikerS would make a terrible compilation movie."

And then I saw ORIGINAL WRITING.

DAMN IT SEVEN ARCS, YOU BETTER HAVE SHINBO WORKING ON THIS PROJECT!! OR ELSE THIS WILL BE DOG DAYS 03!!
Now you have me REALLY worried. If they turn Nanoha into 95% fluff like they did with Dog Days... well, I suppose some people will be happy, even if it means the plot is reduced to 5%.
Kaijo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-03-29, 10:57   Link #277
Akiyoshi
The Flame Crussader

Or worse ...it could be a *gasp* NANOHA DOG DAYS CROSSOVER!

oOo!

...9 years ago, the day after never would be the same

~The ASFB~
Akiyoshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-03-29, 11:04   Link #278
NorthernFallout
The Interstellar Medium
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akiyoshi View Post
Or worse ...it could be a *gasp* NANOHA DOG DAYS CROSSOVER!
My outright hatred would reach critical mass.

NorthernFallout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-03-29, 11:06   Link #279
Akiyoshi
The Flame Crussader

Three hours of Nanoha, Fate and that Caro-expied puppy princess doing nothing more than cute fluff xDU

...9 years ago, the day after never would be the same

~The ASFB~
Akiyoshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-03-29, 11:13   Link #280
Keroko
Adeptus Animus
*Author

People, please, we already have Nanoha: Dog Days style. Vivid. It even has the exploding clothes.