Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Support > Forum & Site Feedback

Notices

Old 2012-02-29, 22:25   Link #1
Triple_R
*Author

Send a message via AIM to Triple_R
Something I'm curious about, dealing with user accounts

Maybe there's a simple answer to this, but I still feel I should ask (partly since other people might be curious too).

Sometimes I'll see an AS user reading a thread I started, and I'll click on the user's name, and it comes up "This account doesn't exists yet and therefore does not have a profile to view."

But if the account doesn't exist yet, how is there an user with an user name?

It's no big deal, I'm just curious as to what's causing this.

I know this isn't the same thing as a blocked user account page, because that gives a different vBulletin Message, IIRC.
Old 2012-02-29, 23:10   Link #2
Dr. Casey

Glad to see someone's made a topic about this, because it's something I've noticed and am rather curious about myself.

My theory is that most of these users are anime fans from the future that traveled back in time because they wished to study anime fans of 2012. They are perfectly friendly users for the most part, but some of them might be malicious and post spoilers about anime from future years and decades; as such, they are highly dangerous to the safety of AnimeSuki and must be exterminated at all costs. relentlessflame and Solace are doing their best to fight off the invasion, but there's no guarantee that even their combined might will prove enough to save the day.
Dr. Casey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-02-29, 23:50   Link #3
Solace
(ノಠ益ಠ)ノ彡┻━┻

The "doesn't exist yet" is due to our background account approval processes, so basically you're catching a new user in that odd moment between "you can read" and "you can post". Of course, not all of them will make it to the "you can post" part, for hopefully obvious reasons.
Old 2012-03-01, 00:03   Link #4
Kimidori
The Opened Ultimate Gate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solace View Post
The "doesn't exist yet" is due to our background account approval processes, so basically you're catching a new user in that odd moment between "you can read" and "you can post". Of course, not all of them will make it to the "you can post" part, for hopefully obvious reasons.
what about this user? s/he posted but also have the "This account no longer exists and therefore does not have a profile to view." messenger
Old 2012-03-01, 00:16   Link #5
Solace
(ノಠ益ಠ)ノ彡┻━┻

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimidori View Post
what about this user? s/he posted but also have the "This account no longer exists and therefore does not have a profile to view." messenger
I don't see that message, and I can see the profile. It may be due to my moderator status, so an admin would have to check into that. I don't see any infraction history, and the account isn't banned, so it is possible that the user requested the account be disabled by an admin.
Old 2012-03-01, 00:35   Link #6
relentlessflame

*Administrator

Incidentally, it appears that particular user's account was disabled, I assume because they haven't logged-in to the forum for nearly 4 years. I assume this is likely the case with other similar situations; they're either in a disabled group, or in a "pending approval" state of some kind.
Old 2012-03-01, 00:48   Link #7
Kotohono
Yuri µ'serator

Remembered problem an old friend had seemed like it might be related, so maybe these users were created by this:
Quote:
Originally Posted by GHDpro View Post
To reduce the amount of bounce emails we get due to member's email addresses being no longer valid, NightWish has recently deactivated the accounts of a lot of members with invalid email addresses.
Since it explains why accounts might be deactivated and thus have no profile since the user never returned to re-active/give a new email.
MAL
Kotohono is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-03-02, 18:58   Link #8
NightWish
…Nothing More
*Administrator

The ability to discover and/or view a profile is heavily curtailed if that profile is not a "normal" member that actively opted to make their profile public. Accounts in the moderated, deactivated, disabled by request, pre-registration, and various banned states are all blocked (with various messages):
This account...
  • ...doesn't exists yet...
  • ...no longer exists...
  • ...is disabled...
...and therefore does not have a profile to view.
NightWish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-08-11, 09:28   Link #9
Ledgem
Love Yourself

Quote:
Originally Posted by relentlessflame View Post
Incidentally, it appears that particular user's account was disabled, I assume because they haven't logged-in to the forum for nearly 4 years.
Sorry for bringing back an old thread, but someone linked to it and I'm curious about what I've quoted. Does the forum automatically deactivate accounts that haven't been used after a certain span of years? If so, does the account re-activate when the user attempts to log back in, or would they need to request that someone manually re-activate it?
Old 2013-08-11, 10:48   Link #10
NightWish
…Nothing More
*Administrator

No to both questions, with a "but..." for the second.

The nuance of the second depends on how and why the account was deactivated. If it is because of bouncing email, then they can do everything a user who just joined can do, including (re)activating themselves by requesting an email activation code. The fact their email is bouncing means they'll need to change email addresses first for this to be possible. Any other reason and the process is completely manual, but the deactivated state doesn't necessarily alter their ability to use the forum, just now the rest of the forums sees their profile (or not as the case may be). Obviously Banned users (who are also technically "deactivated") don't get to continue posting.
NightWish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-08-11, 14:41   Link #11
Haiprbim
Banned

Well, Ledgem was focusing on long-time "being away" only, I guess, but thanks for clearing that up as well.

I have one other question.
Many forums are alike, but I don't really have that much experience with the vB 3 Forums Software.

So the question is the following: If someone is banned, or his/her account is disabled for any reason whatsoever, does he/she have an ability to contact a Board Administrator?
Haiprbim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-08-11, 16:55   Link #12
TheFluff
Excessively jovial fellow

I'm not sure exactly what the limitations are, but I know (from experience, of course) that you can respond to the automatic "you are banned, shithead" PM you get from the moderator/admin who did you in. In other words, you can appeal your ban. I've never had any success with this, though (probably because the moderators know me all too well and/or I deserved it).

Incidentally, while refreshing my memory regarding this I found some pretty funny PM conversations with xris regarding some particularly offensive posts from wayyyyy back in the day (2008, an interesting year), so thanks for taking me on a trip down memory lane I guess.

Furthermore, if you moderators are sitting on a goldmine of publicly invisible but not deleted posts from back when, I'd really like to see them for historical reasons. If other people can reminisce about the animes of their youth it stands to reason that I should be able to reminisce about the flamewars of my youth.

edit: another funny historical note regarding bans: it used to be that when you were banned, the text "Banned" in your user title was just ordinary text (as opposed to the grey cursive it is now). Still, the forum developers had the foresight to prevent you from changing your user title to the word "Banned", but they weren't clever enough to cover all their bases, so you could still do an almost perfect imitation by replacing the "B" with the visually identical "Β" (U+0392; GREEK CAPITAL LETTER BETA in Unicode parlance) and get away with it. Well, get away with it as far as the forum software was concerned, at least; the industrious forum moderators eventually ruined that little bit of fun and gave me a warning for my troubles. The lesson to be learned here is that you should be careful with allowing Unicode input; something Spotify learned the hard way.
17:43:13 <~deculture> Also, TheFluff, you are so fucking slowpoke.jpg that people think we dropped the DVD's.
17:43:16 <~deculture> nice job, fag!

01:04:41 < Plorkyeran> it was annoying to typeset so it should be annoying to read

Last edited by TheFluff; 2013-08-11 at 17:05.
TheFluff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-08-11, 17:23   Link #13
Ledgem
Love Yourself

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haiprbim View Post
So the question is the following: If someone is banned, or his/her account is disabled for any reason whatsoever, does he/she have an ability to contact a Board Administrator?
You can log in and utilize private messages. As far as I'm aware, you can PM anyone, and read PMs from anyone who sends them to you. The rest of the forum is blocked off.