AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2008-07-30, 17:50   Link #1
videoman190

The Kabocha Wine (TV) (The Pumpkin Wine)

The Kabocha Wine

Summary

Staff listing (ganked from ANN)

Transfer student, Aoba Shunsuke, arrived at Sunshine School only to find the premises empty. He was secretly gleeful to be the first to reach the school, oblivious to the fact that it was Foundation Day and a rest day for the institution. At that moment, a big-sized "L"(Eru) beauty by the name of Natsumi appeared before him and the two of them hit off together even though Shunsuke was so much smaller than her. Shunsuke's mother runs a women's apparel busines but the shop is in need of manpower. Shunsuke offers to help out at the shop but fumbles a lot because he does not know how to interact with the ladies. Eru decides to step in and help out around the shop and this pleases Shunsuke's mother. This is a romance story that shares the joys and woes of the "SL" combi between Shunsuke and Eru.

Staff listing (ganked from ANN)

Episode Director:
Akinori Yabe
Michihiro Kaneyama
Yuji Endo
Yukio Suzuki

Music: Osamu Shooji

Original creator: Mitsuru Miura

Character Design: Megumu Ishiguro

Animation director:
Akira Shimizu
Kiyoshi Matsumoto
Masayuki Uchiyama
Noboru Takahashi

Voice Actors (ganked from ANN)

Banjou Ginga as Dekkin

Eiko Masuyama as Komachi

Hiroshi Ohtake as Monta Akai (Danchou)

Keiko Yokozawa as Eru Natsumi Asaoka

Tomiko Suzuki as Madoka

Toshio Furukawa as Shunsuke Aoba

Yuko Mita as Kouhei

Official site http://www.toei-anim.co.jp/lineup/tv/kabocha_wine/

OP http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RetC2xgpZyA

Last edited by videoman190; 2008-07-30 at 18:05.
videoman190 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-07-30, 18:08   Link #2
monir
cho~ kakkoii

This is a pretty good series and made me laugh. Unfortunately I was only able to track down the first 24 episodes of the RAW. Considering the series is consist of 95 episodes, I was barely scratching the surface of the series with those 24 episodes. I want to see more.

Practically speaking on the subject of fansub, I perfectly understand that a fansub for this show may never materialize. The sheer length of the series will intimidate any interested fansubbing group. At this point in time, I will just be happy if I'm able to track down the RAWS so I can continue to enjoy this show.
monir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-04-30, 13:34   Link #3
xris
Just call me Ojisan

Seems like the first episode has been fansubbed by AKF.
xris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-04-30, 21:13   Link #4
videoman190

I just watched the first episode and it was good I am kind of a sucker for old school anime like this one!
Old 2010-05-01, 08:42   Link #5
chrno

Send a message via AIM to chrno
Wow, didn't expect this series to get subbed. I'm glad someone did. I had wanted to see this series for YEEEEARS now.

I had DL'd half of the raws from another site. I was surprised that no one was considering translating it. But I know that there are subs that are in different languages. I think this series was popular in Russia. I just recently went back to that torrent site just to check and see if the other half was up. As I had been checking for years now since the last file. I noticed that someone provided the entire series "raw" + the movie. But unfortunately at the time of the upload there were no more data to draw from. Or the file ceased to exist. Now I stop by here and notice someone uploaded a translated ep. I'm very pleased.

Can I ask what happened to translating the OP?

I like to know why someone decided to do this series. It's very old and very niche. Not many even know this series. There were no source to acquire it from. Unless you knew someone with an old VHS copy. I finally saw the DVD boxset a few years ago. So I was pleased that they released it in Japan. I hope that group AKF will stay the course. Because it's a loooooog series. Thank you for taking the time.

"I'm afraid 400 years won't cover me."

Last edited by chrno; 2010-05-01 at 08:57.
chrno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-05-01, 11:23   Link #6
gamnark

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrno View Post
Can I ask what happened to translating the OP?

I like to know why someone decided to do this series. It's very old and very niche. Not many even know this series. There were no source to acquire it from. Unless you knew someone with an old VHS copy. I finally saw the DVD boxset a few years ago. So I was pleased that they released it in Japan. I hope that group AKF will stay the course. Because it's a loooooog series. Thank you for taking the time.
Hey, gamnark from AKF here.

I've always been picky about subtitles getting in the way of the opening and ending visuals, so we'll be rotating from clean, romaji, translated, clean. Look forward to the translated opening/ending on episode 3.

The reason I picked this up is because our local anime club was screening Lovely Complex, a more recent anime about a short boy and tall girl, and this series came to mind (LoveCom is also pretty good, I'd recommend it). A friend of mine is a classic anime buff, and she had told me about Kabocha Wine a year or so ago.
I've committed to doing the first 5 episodes. After that it'll depend on the interest of our other members to continue it, or if another group would like to help I'd be willing to work with them.

Hope you enjoy it!
gamnark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-05-02, 16:45   Link #7
Tatakae

Quote:
Originally Posted by gamnark View Post
I've committed to doing the first 5 episodes. After that it'll depend on the interest of our other members to continue it, or if another group would like to help I'd be willing to work with them.

Hope you enjoy it!
Thanks for subtitling the first episode!
Kabocha Wine is one of my favorite anime of my teenage years. I saw the series on french television in the late eighties and bought the first japanese dvd box a few years ago as well as the soundtrack on lp and cd. I speak and read japanese so no problem for me to follow the series, but I always wanted to show a couple of episodes to my friends who don't understand japanese or not well enough. So now I can, and I even planned to show your fansub at a small Swiss con later this month if it's ok for you

Quote:
I've always been picky about subtitles getting in the way of the opening and ending visuals, so we'll be rotating from clean, romaji, translated, clean. Look forward to the translated opening/ending on episode 3.
I prefer clean openings without any distracting karaoke kanji/romaji subtitles too, but if you manage to keep them small and simple so that they won't be in the way of the visuals, all the better for anyone interested in the lyrics.
Tatakae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-05-02, 17:22   Link #8
gamnark

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tatakae View Post
... and I even planned to show your fansub at a small Swiss con later this month if it's ok for you
Yup, that's totally fine. I'm also trying to have it shown at a convention here in the States.
Old 2010-05-02, 22:34   Link #9
videoman190

To tell the truth this is the anime I'm look for you see I am a fan of the ones that are different form the popular ones !
Old 2010-05-04, 02:33   Link #10
iccanobif

I came. I've watched this series like 3 or 4 times when I was a kid, and it was heavily censored. I'm REALLY looking forward to watch some more.
iccanobif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-05-06, 15:11   Link #11
chrno

Send a message via AIM to chrno
Quote:
Hey, gamnark from AKF here.

The reason I picked this up is because our local anime club was screening Lovely Complex, a more recent anime about a short boy and tall girl, and this series came to mind (LoveCom is also pretty good, I'd recommend it). A friend of mine is a classic anime buff, and she had told me about Kabocha Wine a year or so ago.

Hope you enjoy it!
Ah, good to know. Makes sense. I suddenly started to think of how commercial DVDs are. Switching back and forth between "English" and "Japanese" translation.
I hope to see more classics like this. Thanks for that update.

"I'm afraid 400 years won't cover me."
chrno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-05-09, 02:25   Link #12
alchemist11
サード
*Fansubber

Send a message via MSN to alchemist11 Send a message via Yahoo to alchemist11
Quote:
The reason I picked this up is because our local anime club was screening Lovely Complex, a more recent anime about a short boy and tall girl, and this series came to mind (LoveCom is also pretty good, I'd recommend it).

Oh, what a coincidence, being influenced by LoveCom. I came across a translator who was influenced by that for an aniime I'm subbing, but not because of the content, rather the dialect, kansai.

I watched the two episodes that were released, and I am very surprised and joyful how entertaining they were, I didn't expect the storyline to be that funny (family owns a lingerie shop and he's the only male, only mainly male in previous school, ).

In response to the last statement left concerning whether you will continue or not after five episodes, it would be sad to see the whole thing not subbed. I personally dislike things not subbed all the way especially if they are old since raw sources are hard to come by, so I wish to make a proposal if anyone hasn't already. See PM for info.
Old 2010-05-11, 16:27   Link #13
Itlandm
Porcupine

What a delightfully "old school" series! It is amusing to see the intensity of the gender roles at that time, and fascinating to see the underlying innocence even in a show that does not aim at that. It is like hopping into a time machine, for better or for worse.

I cannot imagine enough character development to carry this one for several seasons, although who knows. But I would certainly not mind seeing more than 5 episodes. Best of luck with finding some help to carry it on!
Itlandm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-05-12, 00:00   Link #14
gamnark

Just an update- AKF will be working with Saizen Fansubs for episodes 6 and up!
Old 2010-05-15, 00:34   Link #15
MutsuTakato

Finally

Wow glad to hear that gamnark like alot of the other people here been waiting for this series to be subbed for years now since the early-mid 90's im a huge romance fanatic and have seen just about every romantic/comedy type anime made from the 80's till recent only being a couple of exceptions and Kabocha being one of them the first couple episodes were a blast im glad your joining another group to go past ep 5 been watching your site and many others looking to see what ya'll were going to do , this is by far my most anticipated anime being subbed last couple season's havent been all that great now i got something to look forward too every week Thanks for subbing =D
MutsuTakato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-05-20, 12:32   Link #16
ragnarokr
The Rare Visitor

Send a message via MSN to ragnarokr
Great to know that the series will continue after the 5th episode.
Certainly not the best, old School Comedie, but definitely an entertaining watch for our Old school Anime pleasures.

Thanks for subbing this, gamnark.
Old 2010-05-22, 06:55   Link #17
sangofe

Xris: What did I ask about again? Good light-hearted anime from the 80's? Anyways, I think you went a bit "trigger happy" here :P In a bad mood, perhaps?
Back on topic: this is a nice little light hearted, funny series that gives "daily life" feeling, and those are the reasons I like this. Thanks for starting the subbing project of this gamnark, and good luck with the project, because I really wanna see more
sangofe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-05-30, 15:30   Link #18
kamineko

Thumbs up +1 for Kabocha Wine!

Actually, I was downloading it out of curiosity because of the odd title, but already the first episode has me hooked.

Please continue by all means.

Would be willing to donate if you need to buy a boxset from Amazon Japan.
kamineko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-06-01, 08:12   Link #19
colormeKEVO

I am enjoying the series,love this kind of old skool anime.In fact I signed up here just to send you my support.If you need any help like QC or encoding send me a PM or contact me at voteforkevo@yahoo.com.I would be more than happy to help in any way I can.I am currently streaming episodes 1-5 and a few people there are asking for more(where normally no one posts anything..lol)..Thanks for your efforts so far and I look forward to more episodes. ^_^
colormeKEVO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-06-20, 10:00   Link #20
wormspeaker

I wanted to pop in and offer my thanks for subbing this wonderful anime gamnark. It's adorable. I'm also a big romance anime junkie and this one certainly hit the spot. I love the 80s juxtaposition of the innocent actions of the characters and the really low key fan service combined with the frontal nudity on the posters in the male dorm head's room. It's all the stuff I loved about 80s anime. =)

Thanks again for subbing it. I'd offer to help, but I don't know a thing about encoding, and I only know enough Japanese to get myself into trouble. Though if you want a proofreader for the scripts, I can help with that. Though your scripts look exceptionally well done so it looks like you don't need one.
wormspeaker is offline   Reply With Quote