AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > General Anime

Notices

Old 2011-02-21, 19:31   Link #41
Genten
has a custom user title

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taufiq91 View Post
What is it?: Psycho-lesbian characters
Oh god, the psycho lesbians. Hate. So much hate. Even more than tsundere chicks.

I am always puzzled by the extreme prevalance of this trope in anime. Seriously, it's everywhere, from Haruhi Suzumiya to Baka to Test. It's almot impossible to escape. This trope is only good when the characters are either a) created so flat that they only have one defining characteristic that is constantly mde fun of (i.e. a comedy) or b) when said lesbian isn't psycho and a rapist.

Quote:
Notable exceptions: Um, Azumanga Daioh?
Well, you can think of that anime what you will. . . Osaka x Chiyo. Anyway.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simon View Post
From what I've heard yaoi doesn't really have this problem, at least not to such an extent. So maybe we can add sexism to the charge of homophobia while we're at it.
Hoho, debating the portrayal of the sexes in anime! A topic I've made far too many posts for in the past. I'll keep this one short.

You are correct, yaoi/BL does not really have this psycho-gay friend trend that pseudo-yuri seem to have. I'm willing to attribute this mostly to the fact that guys really don't have anything above the waist to grab (and groping someone's crotch is something most anime without the M rating won't touch). Plus, there is this fanservice imbalance between the genders: it is much more likely that you will have the psycho-lesbian trend instead of the other way around because girls are so much more prevalent in anime. Not an attack on anything in particular, just something I've noticed.
Old 2011-02-22, 01:11   Link #42
Chiibi
Vanitas owns you >:3

Send a message via AIM to Chiibi Send a message via MSN to Chiibi
Quote:
Originally Posted by Genten View Post
I am always puzzled by the extreme prevalance of this trope in anime. Seriously, it's everywhere, from Haruhi Suzumiya to Baka to Test. It's almot impossible to escape.
Eh? Who's a psycho lesbian in the Haruhi Suzumiya series?

Don't say Haruhi just because she tortures Mikuru with cosplay. It's clear as Mt. Fuji on a sunny day that she only wants Kyon.
Old 2011-02-22, 02:44   Link #43
Kotohono
Yuri µ'serator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chiibi View Post

Don't say Haruhi just because she tortures Mikuru with cosplay. It's clear as Mt. Fuji on a sunny day that she only wants Kyon.
No no, obivously Tsuruya is the psycho lesbian <_<, wait no she's one of the more normal characters of the series . Seriously even as someone who tends to ship yuri/lesbian pairings, I have to agree it's blatantly obvious Haruhi is interested in Kyon XD.
MAL
Kotohono is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-02-22, 19:12   Link #44
Genten
has a custom user title

Quote:

Haruhi, aside from actually being in love with Mikuru, pretty much fits the lesbian chick to a tee. The 'grope the breasts from behind thing' is basically all of Mikuru's screentime (in the anime at least). Plus, depending on who you talk to, Askura could fit this description

But, eh, maybe I'm just burned out on the Haruhi anime. The second 'season' disappointed me to no end. . .
Old 2011-02-22, 20:23   Link #45
Simon
気持ち悪い

Quote:
You are correct, yaoi/BL does not really have this psycho-gay friend trend that pseudo-yuri seem to have. [...] Plus, there is this fanservice imbalance between the genders: it is much more likely that you will have the psycho-lesbian trend instead of the other way around because girls are so much more prevalent in anime.
I wonder how much it comes down to the target demographics - rightly or wrongly, there seems to be an assumption that male fans want to see fanservice while female fans have other priorities. Unfortunately assumptions of this sort become self-fulfilling because fans who don't like the cliche eventually give up and stop watching.

Quote:
Haruhi, aside from actually being in love with Mikuru, pretty much fits the lesbian chick to a tee.
I don't see it, personally: to my mind that's just Haruhi being her cheerfully obnoxious self and thinking about Mikuru solely in terms of mascot potential (same as with the forced cosplay). In this case I think we're looking at a parody of the cliche rather than the cliche itself.

Quote:
But, eh, maybe I'm just burned out on the Haruhi anime. The second 'season' disappointed me to no end. . .
Have you watched the movie? It's a chance to fall in love all over again
Old 2011-02-22, 22:52   Link #46
Chiibi

Quote:
I don't see it, personally: to my mind that's just Haruhi being her cheerfully obnoxious self and thinking about Mikuru solely in terms of mascot potential (same as with the forced cosplay). In this case I think we're looking at a parody of the cliche rather than the cliche itself.
Yah, I don't see it either....and you do see smaller-breasted girls fondling other girls ALL the time in shounen and seinen anime going "I WANT! I WANT THESE! SO NICE!" Guaranteed to happen in an onsen episode.

Quote:
The movie is beautiful and amazing.
Old 2011-02-22, 23:15   Link #47
Hooves
~Official Slacker~
*Author

Quote:
Quote:
Yah, I don't see it either....and you do see smaller-breasted girls fondling other girls ALL the time in shounen and seinen anime going "I WANT! I WANT THESE! SO NICE!" Guaranteed to happen in an onsen episode.

The movie is beautiful and amazing.
Indeed, if you have been feeling down ever since season 2, then the movie will defiantly lift your spirits and fix it

What you said Chiibi, is true in many animes that I watch. I think there was 4... no wait 5... 6? I don't remember how many animes I watched that had this happen.
Old 2011-02-23, 00:10   Link #48
Chiibi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hooves View Post
What you said Chiibi, is true in many animes that I watch. I think there was 4... no wait 5... 6? I don't remember how many animes I watched that had this happen.
Too many to count! XD

I think the first time I saw it happen was in the Love Hina manga.
Old 2011-02-23, 07:58   Link #49
idiffer

Send a message via ICQ to idiffer
what is it - women being defined by men. women that are not people, but almost a part of the male lead, a convenient third arm or smth. if the male moves, the arm moves with him.
it took me years to start noticing this.
what makes it popular - probably the japanese cultural heritage. and it can be popular for males, bacause we like to dominate. we want someone to NEED us.
Variants - the dependency can be mental OR physical, or both.
exceptions - can't remember any right now. but there are anime where the trope is subverted, so as to give a good reason WHY the girl is dependant on the male.
Why I hated it - it's not realistic, feels like a plot device. + i don't like my women all weak and hung up on me for no reason.
is the hate worth it - nope, question doesn't make sense. how can hate be worth it in this particular case? it's not like i WANT to hate smth to GAIN smth. i'm not being paid to hate the cliche, ppl.
c) Your mind is too narrow to embrace my genius, de geso.
d) I was accidentally dropped into a barrel of whiskey, so now I am constantly drunk.
e) Go home and die! Dattebayo!

Last edited by idiffer; 2011-02-23 at 08:14.
idiffer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-02-25, 03:01   Link #50
Kotohono
Yuri µ'serator

Quote:
Nice thread

What is it?: LONG HAIR BEING CHOPPED OFF.

Worst offenders: Every anime under the goddamn sun just about!!

Notable exceptions: Haruhi Suzumiya looks good both with long and short hair. Haruhi Fujioka only looks good with short hair.

What makes it popular: Long hair is usually cut when a character wants to change.....but not always. I swear, people do it just to piss you off!!

Reason that I hate it: I'm just a long hair fanatic. If you have gorgeous hair, DON'T EFFING RUIN IT!! The haircut always looks so FUGLY!!!

Is the hate really worth it?: It happens way way too much to way too many characters it shouldn't and they almost ALWAYS lose their charm so I think so!!

*hate hate hate*

Suddenly after remembering the Clannad OVA episode for Kyou where she does it at the end, I have to agree with this being a cliche I dislike D:.
MAL
Kotohono is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-02-27, 03:01   Link #51
Gamer_2k4
Anime Cynic

I can't stand hair that frames the character's eyes (but only if it has that little triangular tuft in the middle).

I think it bugs me because HAIR DOESN'T DO THAT (a strange nitpick to have in anime, I know).
Old 2011-02-27, 11:24   Link #52
Ahiru77
あひる

Quote:
Nice thread

Worst offenders: Every anime under the goddamn sun just about!!

Notable exceptions: Haruhi Suzumiya looks good both with long and short hair. Haruhi Fujioka only looks good with short hair.

What makes it popular: Long hair is usually cut when a character wants to change.....but not always. I swear, people do it just to piss you off!!

Reason that I hate it: I'm just a long hair fanatic. If you have gorgeous hair, DON'T EFFING RUIN IT!! The haircut always looks so FUGLY!!!

Is the hate really worth it?: It happens way way too much to way too many characters it shouldn't and they almost ALWAYS lose their charm so I think so!!

*hate hate hate*

To this day.....
Ahiru77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-02-27, 11:43   Link #53
Irenicus
Le fou, c'est moi

Quote:
OMG, Chiibi, you spoke my mind!

The second worst thing about it is that just about every time a girl cuts her hair for change like that you know she isn't actually going to win anything. So, you know, don't cut it in the first place.

The worst thing of course is that short hair on a character that is meant for long hair is fugly.
Irenicus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-02-27, 12:41   Link #54
felix
sleepyhead
*Author

I'm trying to think of a character that looks better after she chops her hair off. Maybe Sakura from Naruto, but only after 100 episodes. Yeah, gonna have to agree with Chiibi and others, it's bad!
Old 2011-02-28, 03:20   Link #55
Kameruka
Hen-Tie

Okay, enough with cooking. Finally I came with better but more controversial idea...

What it is?: Anti-feminist shoujo heroines/shows/mangas

Worst offenders: Any mangas authored by Shinjou Mayu though some other shoujo authors are responsible too

Notable exceptions: Princess 9. The only shoujo(though dubiously) show that actually try to be feminist, or at least sort of

Variants: Girls and women who become victims of their own romance/willing to become slave for their lovers

What makes it popular?: Why bother to free yourself from creepy, cold-hearted, bully but good-looking boy or androgynous-looking man while you can be his slave instead. My heart already belong to him.

Why I hated it: It is ironic that lots of male-oriented shows which are always panned for sexualization of women and teenage girls are actually more "feminist" than those of the female-oriented ones. As example Taishou Yakyuu Musume is obviously many times more feminist than any shoujo mangas you can think off. I was amazed why shoujo couldn't do such things. Maybe because of the sales. Fans just want to see hot guys, regardless how evil and asshole they are. Not girls who fighting for their own rights. Of course women are equally guilty as their male counterparts when it comes to this issue.

Does the hate really worth it?: Of course it is. I will continue hating this cliche as long as I keep breathing or better still, as long as there are sun and moon.
Kameruka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-02-28, 14:33   Link #56
Chiibi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gamer_2k4 View Post
I can't stand hair that frames the character's eyes (but only if it has that little triangular tuft in the middle).

I think it bugs me because HAIR DOESN'T DO THAT (a strange nitpick to have in anime, I know).
I actually like this.

@Ahiru: EWWWWWWWWWW she looks so BUTCH. yuck. XD

Quote:
I'm trying to think of a character that looks better after she chops her hair off.
The two Haruhis don't look too bad.

Quote:
What it is?: Anti-feminist shoujo heroines/shows/mangas

Worst offenders: Any mangas authored by Shinjou Mayu though some other shoujo authors are responsible too
OH. MAH GAWD.
Don't get me started on Shinjou Mayu......

*total feminist here*

Last edited by Chiibi; 2011-02-28 at 14:55.
Chiibi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-03-01, 00:41   Link #57
Guernsey
The GAP Man

Send a message via AIM to Guernsey Send a message via MSN to Guernsey Send a message via Yahoo to Guernsey
What is it?: Even the most atrocious matter can be forgiven without consequences.
Worst offenders: Any mahou shoujo, some shonen and shoujo
Notable exceptions: GiTS, I cannot think of any examples now
Variants: There some genuine anti villains with a backstory.
What makes it popular: Because it shows that most people are not bad but oftern victims of circumstances.
Reason that I hated it: I don't how things can be easily forgiven and no one ever suffers the consquences of their actions. Even if the protagonist forgives them, they should at least be punished for their crimes.
Does the hate really worth it?: I know that they are no real villain in the real world but still I wish that they didn't really present in an anvilicious manner.

What is it?: Kids that don't act like kids at all.
Worst offenders: Nanoha, Higurashi, any shonen and shoujo

Notable exceptions: Dennou Coil

Variants: Kids that mature for their and considering that they are from Japan, I guess I can understand that they are trained to be this way.

What makes it popular: Anime like most media is escapist entertainment, kids and adults often look up to these characters because they can project themselves into them. While we may not fight monsters in real life, you can do so in anime and it works.

Reason that I hated it: I hate it because kids don't behave that way. Maturity varies from indivdual to individual and it takes time to mature into adulthood.

Does the hate really worth it?: Yes and No. Yes, I wish the kids in the story act like kids and not mini adults. No, I can understand this trned as I enjoy chacters like Luffy and Goku.
Old 2011-03-01, 22:21   Link #58
Ichuki
┌(^o^)┘モリ!┌(^o^)┘モリ!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asuras View Post
What is it?: Unnecessary Fan Service

Worst offenders: I really don't feel like searching my recently concussion-ed head for specifics, but I can say, any anime that isn't centered around ecchi that throws shit out there expecting it to be funny. I don't know about you guys, but I'm not laughing. Or getting a boner.

Notable exceptions: You can excuse anime such as harem, since a large proportion of its plot is devoted to ecchi and fan service. I really don't care when they do it, but when I want a straight story and action, random panties and clothing dampening just doesn't hit it with me.

Variants: There's funny, and then there's the pointless. I rarely see the former.

What makes it popular: It sells. People want to see their favorite female being humiliated or oblivious to her apparent cuteness or lack of dignity.

Which brings me to another peeve: female manipulation. Even male manipulation! But that's for another time.

Guys want to rage, and girls... What do they want? Anyways...
Put simply; sex sells.

Reason that I hated it: I honestly don't find 99% of all fan-service/ecchi moments even remotely funny. It's in the way, unnecessary, and forces me to hide my iPhone from prying parental eyes whenever I just want my daily anime fix.

Does the hate really worth it?: Well, if we go by personal opinion, of course it is. Freaking perverted Japanese!
I really hate the Cliche too. I think High School of the Dead is one of the worst offenders.
Ichuki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-03-02, 05:07   Link #59
Taufiq91

What is it?: Characters who are oblivious to love

Worst offenders: Again, Baka to test. just because he's stupid doesn't mean he has no heart! Infinite Stratos as well until episode 8.

Notable exceptions: Ouran High School host Club, but then again both Haruhi and Tamaki are idiots as well.

What makes it popular: Because somehow, writers think that this method will avoid rage amongst shipper otakus, eventhough it created a bigger rage amongst them

Reason that I hated it: Look, real men do not ignore the fact that there are people in their surroundings who have crush on them. I mean, in Infinite Stratos Ichika must know that women WILL fall in love him because he goes to a fucking all-girls school, and yet he acts dense like there's no one after him. it's unrealistic and it conveys the bullshit CLEO Magazine perception of romance shown in shit like Sex and the City. Atleast Laura bravely kisses him and gives him a "wake up asshole!" vibe for him to realize that he's in an all-girls school.
Old 2011-03-02, 11:36   Link #60
SilverSyko
Okuyasu the Bird

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taufiq91 View Post
Reason that I hated it: Look, real men do not ignore the fact that there are people in their surroundings who have crush on them. I mean, in Infinite Stratos Ichika must know that women WILL fall in love him because he goes to a fucking all-girls school, and yet he acts dense like there's no one after him. it's unrealistic and it conveys the bullshit CLEO Magazine perception of romance shown in shit like Sex and the City. Atleast Laura bravely kisses him and gives him a "wake up asshole!" vibe for him to realize that he's in an all-girls school.
A guy going to an all-girls school is un-realistic anyway.

I don't know why guys SHOULD have to show an interest in the opposite sex. If he doesn't want to be in a relationship he shouldn't have to be.

Tags
disscusion, manga cliche good bad