AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat > News & Politics

Notices

Old 2011-04-02, 18:23   Link #2081
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

Seawalls are effective when you don't have 10 meter waves.
Old 2011-04-02, 18:58   Link #2082
Random32
Also a Lolicon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ithekro View Post
Seawalls are effective when you don't have 10 meter waves.
I'm fairly sure of that. Maybe I didn't phrase myself right, I wish to know about what humans feel about their effectiveness, rather than what they think.

its like nuclear power. its generally safe, its one of the best choices for alternative energy sources today, but a lot of people, at least in America, treat nuclear power like medieval people treat witches, because of accidents like Fukushima, Three Mile Island, or Chernobyl.

I am wondering whether people's thoughts seawalls as a layer of defense between them and a tsunami will be affected in a similar way.
Random32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-04-02, 19:09   Link #2083
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

I'm hoping for a more high tech solution to the seawall problem....but high tech means more things that can go wrong. A seawall just sits there. There aren't moving parts, it just has to stand up to time and the Ocean.

The high tech way would be energy shield that can be projected an any hieght to stop any sized wave. But if the power goes out, or the projectors fail...the whole wave is getting in. So sometimes low tech works better because it has less chance of failure.
Old 2011-04-02, 19:10   Link #2084
bayoab

Quote:
Originally Posted by Random32 View Post
Will Japan keep relying on seawalls? I assume they are rather effective except in really really bad situations like this one. To everyone who lives in Japan, have seawalls ever provided a sense of security and has that sense of security been affected by the recent events?
They probably will keep them and improve the technology involved in them. They just have to pay for themselves once. Also, not all of them failed. There was the video, with I believe thai writing on it, where the seawall almost successfully repelled a tsunami from the quake (believe it was ~7m). There was minor flooding but no deadly wave.

Quote:
I'm hoping for a more high tech solution to the seawall problem....but high tech means more things that can go wrong. A seawall just sits there. There aren't moving parts, it just has to stand up to time and the Ocean.

The high tech way would be energy shield that can be projected an any hieght to stop any sized wave. But if the power goes out, or the projectors fail...the whole wave is getting in. So sometimes low tech works better because it has less chance of failure.
Nothing says you can't have both or use high technology to create a low technology wall. Like if someone could design a wall that could reflect the energy of the initial waves back and use that energy to counter the other waves as they came.
bayoab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-04-02, 19:26   Link #2085
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

What was "unexpected" is that the elevation of the land UNDER the seawall and the towns behind them dropped almost 3 meters during the quake. Seawallls that WOULD have worked were now 3 meters lower when the waves arrived.
Old 2011-04-02, 20:09   Link #2086
Tri-ring

Quote:
Originally Posted by Highman View Post
If anyone can update already to the 50 people who are sacrificing themselves into Fukushima Power Plant. Really am hoping they're will get the best treatment every day.
Here are some articles concerning the people working within the plant.

Nuclear plant workers have option to quit but not many doing so

Workers at stricken nuclear plant endure tough conditions
Tri-ring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-04-03, 00:35   Link #2087
SaintessHeart
NYAAAAHAAANNNNN~

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tri-ring View Post
Here is something :

Quote:
The radiation level within the building is 2-3 microsievert per hour. They sleep in conference rooms and hallways in the building. To shield them from radiation from the floor, they cover themselves with lead-containing sheets before they put on blankets.
The max yearly dose for US radiation workers is 50 millisv, which is 50000 microsv. Doing the averaging of math, the total number of hours they can work is 16666 hours, which is equivalent to 1515 days of 11h per day (6am - 5pm), approximately 4 years. This is assuming that the radiation passes through their protective gear and accumulates inside the body which the lymphatic system is unable to pass out.

3 litres of water isn't enough. Give them more. And also, the last I checked, shipboard E-4 engineers earn US$7000 per month and they sail around the world for 6-10 months before their next stint of shore leave, so it makes Y400,000 look quite a small amount.

It would be an outrage if the managers in Tokyo for the crisis are paid more.

When three puppygirls named after pastries are on top of each other, it is called Eclair a'la menthe et Biscotti aux fraises avec beaucoup de Ricotta sur le dessus.
Most of all, you have to be disciplined and you have to save, even if you hate our current financial system. Because if you don't save, then you're guaranteed to end up with nothing.

Last edited by SaintessHeart; 2011-04-03 at 01:11.
SaintessHeart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-04-03, 04:43   Link #2088
Jinto
Asuki-tan Kairin ↓

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaintessHeart View Post
Here is something :

The max yearly dose for US radiation workers is 50 millisv, which is 50000 microsv. Doing the averaging of math, the total number of hours they can work is 16666 hours, which is equivalent to 1515 days of 11h per day (6am - 5pm), approximately 4 years.
See, and this is how not to read this data. The safest place in the plant is exposed to this radiation. This is where workers sleep and live (not work). Many workers are exposed to radiation of levels of magnitudes higher in their actual working environment.

Quote:
This is assuming that the radiation passes through their protective gear and accumulates inside the body which the lymphatic system is unable to pass out.
Radiation doesn't accumulate directly. Radioactive isotopes can accumulate and cause radioactive hot spots (indirect).

Quote:
3 litres of water isn't enough. Give them more. And also, the last I checked, shipboard E-4 engineers earn US$7000 per month and they sail around the world for 6-10 months before their next stint of shore leave, so it makes Y400,000 look quite a small amount.

It would be an outrage if the managers in Tokyo for the crisis are paid more.
Yet I'ld bet on it.

Quote:
I have to keep that in mind just to relativize your future statements with regards to technical and scientific fundamentals.
Old 2011-04-03, 05:50   Link #2089
SaintessHeart
NYAAAAHAAANNNNN~

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jinto View Post
See, and this is how not to read this data. The safest place in the plant is exposed to this radiation. This is where workers sleep and live (not work). Many workers are exposed to radiation of levels of magnitudes higher in their actual working environment.

Radiation doesn't accumulate directly. Radioactive isotopes can accumulate and cause radioactive hot spots (indirect).
I am not just solely talking about "ionising radiation" in the form of gamma rays which is supposed to pass through even thin lead (what I was taught in school is 2mm, but our Physics teacher taught us that "Murphy's Law" applies due to the erratic and highly mysterious nature of atomic and quantum physics), I also included radioactive dust and particles that are small enough to circumvent even nanocarbon-lined filters.

Also, similar in a way to chemo/radio-therapy where radiation is used to kill cancer cells, the radiation can either mutate or kill human cells, and some of the mutated cells might be rejected by the body and just die by itself, and probably flushed out of the body's systems.

Supposedly too, the lowest 1-year dose is around 100 milliSv, which equates to around 100,000 microSv. Even if the radiation they work in is about 1000 times greater than the regular 2-3 microSv, the workers can still last around 2-3 months before they have to be quarantined long-term.

Unless the decon facilities and MOGG-4 provided are the low-quality ones, I think that out of so many workers, only 9-10% will get cancer in the long term at most.

Quote:
Yet I'ld bet on it.
If that is so, that just pretty much proved Gandhi's nonviolence attitude wrong - apparently some people REALLY need and deserve to die.

When three puppygirls named after pastries are on top of each other, it is called Eclair a'la menthe et Biscotti aux fraises avec beaucoup de Ricotta sur le dessus.
Most of all, you have to be disciplined and you have to save, even if you hate our current financial system. Because if you don't save, then you're guaranteed to end up with nothing.
Old 2011-04-03, 06:36   Link #2090
Jinto
Asuki-tan Kairin ↓

Quote:
I am not just solely talking about "ionising radiation" in the form of gamma rays which is supposed to pass through even thin lead (what I was taught in school is 2mm, but our Physics teacher taught us that "Murphy's Law" applies due to the erratic and highly mysterious nature of atomic and quantum physics), I also included radioactive dust and particles that are small enough to circumvent even nanocarbon-lined filters.
Radiation can either be particle ray based (alpha, neutron/proton radiation) or an energy ray based (beta, gamma/x-ray).

Alpha radiation can be blocked by a sheet of paper or your skin (it can however cause indirect damage, similar to Bremsstrahlung coming from beta radiation).
Neutron/proton radiation is more dangerous, because it can create radioactive isotopes that were stable before they were hit (thermal and fast neutron react differently with isotopes, so tehnically one would have differentiate between the two even further). None of these types of radiation directly accumulate inside the body. At best they create radioactive isotopes that accumulate in the body.

Beta, gamma/x-ray radiation requires "heavier" protection (lead). But there are exceptions for high energy beta-radiation because the resulting Bremstrahlung of high energy beta radiation can be very hard in "heavy" absorbers like lead while it is rather soft in materials like wood. In general these types of radiation do not accumulate either, at best they generate radioactive isotopes from stable isotopes.

Radioactive dust (radioactive isotopes bound to carrier particles) is not considered to be a from of radiation itself, it merely emits radiation.

Quote:
Also, similar in a way to chemo/radio-therapy where radiation is used to kill cancer cells, the radiation can either mutate or kill human cells, and some of the mutated cells might be rejected by the body and just die by itself, and probably flushed out of the body's systems.
Cells are seldom directly fulshed from the body. The typical process is to degrade them. However parts of the degration products maybe reused by the body and are therefore not flushed out. If tere are radioactive isotopes in the reused parts of the degraded cell, they will affect other cells and the destructive cycle goes on, until some cell's kill switch mechanism fails and it becomes a cancer cell (the seed of a tumor).

Quote:
Supposedly too, the lowest 1-year dose is around 100 milliSv, which equates to around 100,000 microSv. Even if the radiation they work in is about 1000 times greater than the regular 2-3 microSv, the workers can still last around 2-3 months before they have to be quarantined long-term.
Actually these numbers are completely useless unless you know exactly which tissue was exposed to the radiation, and if their bodies were contaminated with radioactive isotopes or not. The problem is, that not only radiation can breed radioactive isotopes inside an organism but the organism can simply inhale or otherwise get the radioactive isotopes inside the body (though I think the workers there are very well protected against that direct way of radioactive isotope contamination - in contrast to the normal people who are living outside the plant).

Quote:
Unless the decon facilities and MOGG-4 provided are the low-quality ones, I think that out of so many workers, only 9-10% will get cancer in the long term at most.

If that is so, that just pretty much proved Gandhi's nonviolence attitude wrong - apparently some people REALLY need and deserve to die.
You do not need to get cancer to have your life shortend.

Do you know why you are getting older (the decay aspect is meant)? Its because the cells cannot divide endlessly without loosing DNA information. Its like making a copy of a copy in copier, its quality degrades with each copy step. When the quality of the DNA is generaly bad in your body, it will increase the cancer risk AND makes many cells use their kill switch. That means, the older you become, the more cells with good DNA have to replace cells with bad DNA and this makes them divide more often, which also makes them bad DNA cells in the process. Now when you are exposed to radiation, you artificially accelerate this cell ageing mechanism, because you trigger the kill switch of many cells, that were good ones. This can shorten your overall life expectancy, but there is no study that goes so far to take such effects into account - this field of science is utterly understudied and very debated.

Last edited by Jinto; 2011-04-03 at 06:49.
Jinto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-04-03, 11:42   Link #2091
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Boat captain able to ride out tsunami, providing transport now.

Smashed boats adorn the coastline of this once-idyllic tourist spot, but Sugawara's pride and joy, "Sunflower" is intact and working overtime transporting people and aid to and from the island. It can hold around 20 people at a time.
Old 2011-04-03, 12:09   Link #2092
Highman
Keep Pounding and Destroy

Send a message via AIM to Highman
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexx View Post
Boat captain able to ride out tsunami, providing transport now.

Smashed boats adorn the coastline of this once-idyllic tourist spot, but Sugawara's pride and joy, "Sunflower" is intact and working overtime transporting people and aid to and from the island. It can hold around 20 people at a time.
Saw the video on youtube over the weekend when Tsunami/Earthquake hit happened, needs a background song added from Dio-Holy Diver. This person will be hailed as island hero in his life time.

Highman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-04-03, 12:15   Link #2093
Green²
It's bacon!

"Illegal levels of radioactive substances found in Fukushima mushrooms"
Likely that the people that were doing the testing, haven't been eating the mushrooms this time.
Green² is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-04-03, 12:58   Link #2094
RRW
Unspecified
*Scanlator

Diaper-Like Material Unable to Stop Fukushima’s Radioactive Water from Leaking Into the Sea

RRW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-04-03, 20:56   Link #2095
SaintessHeart
NYAAAAHAAANNNNN~

Quote:
Originally Posted by Green² View Post
"Illegal levels of radioactive substances found in Fukushima mushrooms"
Likely that the people that were doing the testing, haven't been eating the mushrooms this time.
Nonono, they are eating a different kind of mushroom......

Old 2011-04-03, 21:29   Link #2096
Decagon
This was meaningless
*Scanlator

To contribute to Jinto's points on cancer,
Spoiler for text:

Quote:
People get cancer all the time, but the body can usually take care of the offending cells under most conditions such that the person does not notice. People who live without cancer just have a combination of more robust systems in place to curb it, whether it is killing the cancerous cells or processing carcinogenic factors and their effects. As it relates to the people doing the repair and cleanup, the older members of the team will probably be more susceptible to developing cancer from their work there. If TEPCO's got any more of those illegal teenage workers, they may be at greater risk than regular adults.
Decagon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-04-03, 21:51   Link #2097
yezhanquan
Observer/Bookman wannabe

Anyone knows if the areas hit by the big waves are undergoing clean-up and reconstruction, or is everyone's attention on the nuclear crisis?

Quote:
It is better fixed that way : the recent local politics over here made me think that, actually some of those with crude oratory speak more sense than the nice sounding politicians.
As a rule of thumb, I distrust orators. The more passion the speeches whip up, the more worried I am. Hitler in RL and Mark Antony in fiction are enough warnings.

Last edited by yezhanquan; 2011-04-03 at 22:15.
yezhanquan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-04-04, 08:37   Link #2098
SaintessHeart
NYAAAAHAAANNNNN~

Quote:
Originally Posted by yezhanquan View Post
As a rule of thumb, I distrust orators. The more passion the speeches whip up, the more worried I am. Hitler in RL and Mark Antony in fiction are enough warnings.
I don't listen to most debates. I wait for manuscripts or minutes to be released so I read them.

Apparently being partially deaf isn't so bad after all.

Old 2011-04-04, 14:37   Link #2099
Lord of Fire
The Voice of Reason

Quote:
Originally Posted by yezhanquan View Post
Anyone knows if the areas hit by the big waves are undergoing clean-up and reconstruction, or is everyone's attention on the nuclear crisis?
From what I read in today's newspaper, chances are high that they'll abandon those sites altogether and rebuild the towns on higher ground, mostly because not many people want to live that close to the sea again, in fear of another tsunami.
Old 2011-04-04, 16:34   Link #2100
Jinto
Asuki-tan Kairin ↓

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord of Fire View Post
From what I read in today's newspaper, chances are high that they'll abandon those sites altogether and rebuild the towns on higher ground, mostly because not many people want to live that close to the sea again, in fear of another tsunami.
Given the mobilty you can have with cars and public transport, this doesn't sound like a bad idea.

Tags
disaster, japan, tsunami