Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat > News & Politics

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2012-02-28, 16:17   Link #19861
Anh_Minh
I disagree with you all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xellos-_^ View Post
i thought frenchies were either Gaelic or Franks?
I'm just saying - tacking "ian" to every country name instead of having a boatload of variations would simplify things. "US of Americanian", "United Kingdomian", "Chinaian"... and yes, "Israelian". No more questions!

On second thought, maybe countries in "-a" should just become "-an". "American", "Indian"... "Chinan".
Old 2012-02-28, 16:28   Link #19862
SaintessHeart
NYAAAAHAAANNNNN~

Quote:
Originally Posted by bladeofdarkness View Post
both of which would at least be accurate and grammaticality correct descriptions
Albeit mean as it is used often in a negative connotation by the media against the Israelis. Of course, the term Jew has been a negative connotation throughout the centuries (even by Charles Dickens) as a selfish, thieving miser and slave-driver.

And the extreme-right in the Knesset aren't helping.

When three puppygirls named after pastries are on top of each other, it is called Eclair a'la menthe et Biscotti aux fraises avec beaucoup de Ricotta sur le dessus.
Most of all, you have to be disciplined and you have to save, even if you hate our current financial system. Because if you don't save, then you're guaranteed to end up with nothing.
Old 2012-02-28, 16:48   Link #19863
GDB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anh_Minh View Post
I'm just saying - tacking "ian" to every country name instead of having a boatload of variations would simplify things. "US of Americanian"
Wouldn't that be "US of Americaian"?
Old 2012-02-28, 19:59   Link #19864
Ascaloth
I don't give a damn, dude

I've heard "USian" used before.
Old 2012-02-28, 20:43   Link #19865
Xellos-_^
Not Enough Sleep

Quote:
http://www.washingtonpost.com/politics/ap-newsbreak-obama-administration-plan-would-kill-rival-bird-to-save-spotted-owl/2012/02/28/gIQAvxAUgR_story.html
Quote:

The government set aside millions of acres of forest to protect the owl, but the bird’s population continues to decline — a 40 percent slide in 25 years.
A plan announced Tuesday would designate habitat considered critical for the bird’s survival, while allowing logging to reduce the risk of catastrophic wildfire and to create jobs. Habitat loss and competition from barred owls are the biggest threats to the spotted owl.

anyone else think the government should just let nature take it course and let the Spotted owl go extinct? Even with huge tracts of forest being set aside, is numbers are still dropping. It just can't compete with other owls.
Old 2012-02-28, 20:46   Link #19866
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

Considering the spotted owl can actually survive nesting in cities.....
Old 2012-02-28, 21:21   Link #19867
Mr Hat and Clogs
Did someone call a doctor

We humans love to fight against nature. One day it'll bite us in the ass in an epic fashion (my money is on an asteroid).
Old 2012-02-28, 21:26   Link #19868
Xellos-_^
Not Enough Sleep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Hat and Clogs View Post
We humans love to fight against nature. One day it'll bite us in the ass in an epic fashion (my money is on an asteroid).
funny you mention Asteroid...

Quote:
There is an asteroid called 2011 AG5, and if it follows the orbit scientists have plotted for it so far, there is a small, small chance that it could hit Earth in February 2040.
Don't quit your job and sell your house just yet. Astronomers, who have been tracking the asteroid since January 2011, say it is in an elliptical orbit that could bring it somewhere near Earth in 2040. Earth is about 8,000 miles in diameter; the asteroid appears to be about 450 feet across.
The problem is that having watched it for only about half an orbit around the Sun, the scientists cannot say for certain where it will be 28 years from now. So, for the moment, NASA's Near Earth Object Program says the odds are about one in 625 that it could hit us in that still-distant future.

http://abcnews.go.com/Technology/ast...6#.T02MlvU4ba4
Old 2012-02-28, 21:54   Link #19869
Mr Hat and Clogs

Sweet, I'm on line for winning the bet in 28 years! 450 ft isn't that big though, I was expecting more from you nature. For shame. Prove the shiva hypothesis correct, you can do it.
Old 2012-02-28, 21:55   Link #19870
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

So a very high speed rock the size of a destroyer. Hmmmm.
Old 2012-02-28, 21:59   Link #19871
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ithekro View Post
So a very high speed rock the size of a destroyer. Hmmmm.
And its a destroyer moving at multiple times the speed of sound.... there's be no "rolling across the sky - boom", just<<connection loss>>
Old 2012-02-28, 22:13   Link #19872
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

2040?....well that is about when the Gamilons are suppose to find us...but the Planet Bombing...that was much later...after we annoy them by not surrendering....
Old 2012-02-28, 23:28   Link #19873
Rahan

I doubt it's a threat to Mankind, even if it was really on a collision course with Earth.
The only dangerous asteroids are the ones that would remain unidentified until a few months before impact. With today's technology, we might fail at dispatching it in time.
But an asteroid we see coming 30 years in advance ? Easily nukable (well, unless our petty governments insist on remaining petty till it's too late)

I still think we don't need any help from nature to wipe ourselves out.
Old 2012-02-28, 23:49   Link #19874
Mr Hat and Clogs

You know the whole nuke-an-asteroid tactic won't actually work on anything that would be a threat. Assuming an asteroid is even made of rock, and not solid iron ore (which may just shrug off a nuclear blast), it will probably just reform itself under its own gravity in a few hours anyway, rendering Mr Nuke a complete waste of time. Besides if it didn't reform and big-ol-chunks of rock came raining down all over the planet rather than just hitting the one spot and possibly causing even more damage, well whoever fired the thing would have a few questions to answer.

There are better ways to deal with them other then nukes, they're kind of a last ditch 'may as well toss everything including the kitchen sink' kind of defence.
Old 2012-02-28, 23:54   Link #19875
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

Nuke does not always mean "blow it the hell up". It can also mean "divert its course via massive release of energy and/or kinetic impact".
Old 2012-02-29, 00:50   Link #19876
andyjay729
YOU EEDIOT!!!

A trade union is planning a strike for the London Olympics.

Hopefully the chavs and yobs won't also "celebrate" the anniversary of last summer's riots too.
Old 2012-02-29, 00:52   Link #19877
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

Fears grow of Israel-Iran missile shootout

http://openchannel.msnbc.msn.com/_ne...ssile-shootout

Now they are talking, in detail, about what Israel and Iran might do to each other and with what.

"I have a bad feeling about this"

I just wonder if we aren't being distracted by this from something else that is actually worse.
Old 2012-02-29, 00:55   Link #19878
andyjay729
YOU EEDIOT!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xellos-_^ View Post
funny you mention Asteroid...
450 feet is a bit bigger than normal, but it doesn't sound like a potential extinction event. I've heard the one that killed the dinosaurs was about the size of Mt. Everest, for some perspective.

So...let's just hope that if we can't deflect it, it'll be a dear and come down in some remote area like the Tunguska event.
Old 2012-02-29, 00:55   Link #19879
aohige
( ಠ_ಠ)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Hat and Clogs View Post
You know the whole nuke-an-asteroid tactic won't actually work on anything that would be a threat. Assuming an asteroid is even made of rock, and not solid iron ore (which may just shrug off a nuclear blast), it will probably just reform itself under its own gravity in a few hours anyway, rendering Mr Nuke a complete waste of time. Besides if it didn't reform and big-ol-chunks of rock came raining down all over the planet rather than just hitting the one spot and possibly causing even more damage, well whoever fired the thing would have a few questions to answer.

There are better ways to deal with them other then nukes, they're kind of a last ditch 'may as well toss everything including the kitchen sink' kind of defence.
Uh, what you're saying doesn't apply to an object mere 450 FEET in size.
And yes, bunch of small debri causes less harm to the sphere (note: I did not say human civilization and settlements) than one massive chunk.

The latter can cause a ripple effect from crust penetration, causing massive secondary damages.
Old 2012-02-29, 01:33   Link #19880
Mr Hat and Clogs

I wasn't talking about the 450ft sized one (much of which would burn up on entry, probably about half it's mass, depending what it's made of) I was talking about the threatening ones (ie 1KM in length or greater). Anyway I'm not going to get drawn into an argument about it (since I don't care that much), you can go read up on it the theories for the best ways to stop asteroids from credible sources all over the internets.

Tags
current affairs, discussion, international