Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Movies, OVAs/OADs, and Specials

Notices

Old 2007-02-26, 08:37   Link #201
WanderingKnight
Gregory House
*IT Support

Send a message via MSN to WanderingKnight
Oh my god, that was freaking awesome. It reminded me quite a bit of Kumo no Mukou, but this gave me a much better impression (not that I didn't like Kumo no Mukou). The backgrounds were beautiful, the direction flawless, and the tempo was handled perfectly. And I 'kind of' got related to the main character, because I've suffered those kinds of 'delays' before... but not to that extent, of course ^_^.

Beautiful, beautiful first part, and I can't wait until the fansubbers get a hold of the DVD releases.

Place them in a box until a quieter time | Lights down, you up and die.
WanderingKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-02-26, 08:43   Link #202
Lost

Makoto Shinkai has 10 pages worth of awed praise in this thread. It even started before the stream was aired! I salute him.

Lost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-02-26, 11:44   Link #203
Quajafrie
Not here anymore!

I wonder if there will be a DVD or HDTV version of the three stories together with the theater version of the movie... or we'll have to wait till summer or so? I'm dying to watch the next two movies. Makoto Shinkai is so great.
Quajafrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-02-26, 12:38   Link #204
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sushi-Y View Post
The popular Japanese movie review site 超映画批評 has given 5 centimeters per second an 85/100, quite an impressive score by the site's standard.

It seems like the movie's portrayal of a man's straight yet complicated feeling of affection towards his first love hit a good note with Maeda-san, who loved the human drama of the movie, on top of the beautiful artworks.

One interesting line,

"Although it's a short story, the 60 minutes it lasted probably carried enough value to rival many pieces of your everyday anime creations. In particular, the few minutes past episode 3's title display can move you to a point of giving you shudders."

Bloody teaser...
While translation sites just don't do well with Japanese to English, I think I agree with the gist of the review - at least as it pertains to chapter 1. Straightforward yet complicated is a good way to describe the emotional content of that part of the story.

Man - I can't even fathom waiting until summer - at least - to see the rest of this thing subbed. Life is indeed cruel...
Guardian Enzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-02-28, 15:55   Link #205
Cal-Reflector

Has anyone seen the subbed version that's been made available on BT? How is the quality of the translation? Resolution of the video?

Also, Who enjoyed the Theme (ED) Song for Byousoku 5CM: One More Time, One More Chance? I've listened to it... 56 times, by WMP's count.
Old 2007-02-28, 17:12   Link #206
Samatarou
Son of God
*Artist

The translation is generally fine, a few lines could be phrased better and there are a couple of errata to be found on the Bikasuishin site where lines were misheard, but frankly the same issues are true of most fansubs, and the translation of the misheard lines is immaterial to the story.

I just used the ssa file with the wmv raw instead of downloading the divx/mkv so I don't know for sure what the video quality is like but screenshots I've seen which I think may have been based on the sub suggest it is similar to the original and the same 640x360 resolution.
Samatarou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-02-28, 17:32   Link #207
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

I concur - I didn't see any major problems with the sub, either visually or linguistically. I was just ecstatic to have it, frankly. And yes, that ED is pretty damn catchy.
Guardian Enzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-02-28, 22:44   Link #208
NoSanninWa
Weapon of Mass Discussion
*Fansubber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cal-Reflector View Post
Has anyone seen the subbed version that's been made available on BT? How is the quality of the translation? Resolution of the video?
Subbed version!??!?!? Why wasn't this in our Torrent Submissions Forum?!

Wow! Time for me to download it, watch it again, and then add it to the main site's database!

Edit: Already found the torrent. Since the sub has been vouced for, I'll add it straightaway.

There's not that fine a line between willing suspension of disbelief and something just being stupid.

Last edited by NoSanninWa; 2007-02-28 at 22:56.
NoSanninWa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-03-01, 02:31   Link #209
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

pardon me whilst I squeal in a most unmasculine fashion and race for the torrent.... please stand by.
Old 2007-03-01, 03:03   Link #210
Lost

Meh, I'm waiting for DVD release and Triad.
Lost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-03-02, 11:55   Link #211
ZeRoGravity

Man, when I first saw the release, I gave a blank stare then quickly dled the torrent and every a few minutes I would update my tracker because I was so damn desperate to watch this.

It was indeed really beautiful. Just like his previous works, very poetic and emotional. Very dionysian. Also, for this one, very unrealistic in the way they communicate with each other. I mean, with modern technology in communication they can easily see each other when they have days off school - Ok, maybe not when they were young - internet - webcam, messengers, and telephones. Well they did use the phone, but during the movie it wasn't use very often except the good old fashion mail. I know that mail is more personal, and I know he used that as his theme for this movie but really it just seem too unrealistic. I guess thats the selling point here. If its too realistic than it wouldn't be any different than those drama on T.V.

This first part of the movie mainly consist of monologue done by the main male character, which I didn't find boring at all. I can't think the reason as to why I didn't. I think I might watch it again just to find out and just for the sake or re-watching it again because its beautiful.

Can't wait for the next 2 parts of the movie. I hope this gets licensed quick so I can buy the DVD.
Old 2007-03-02, 12:30   Link #212
[ ]

Send a message via ICQ to [ ] Send a message via AIM to [ ]
Speechless. After watching it. It was beautifully done and directed and completely succeded in conveying the mood. The art was stunningly detailed and so much feeling was put into it as well. Even small scenes like the wristwatch or the lights of the train going over the signs were executed to perfection/ But most of all i absoloutly loved the mood, setting and story it conveys.
[ ] is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-03-02, 15:10   Link #213
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

<sigh> at this point, I'm just dittoing the acolades. It was mesmerizing. The pacing and timing of his "now" to the flashbacks was just about perfect in that I didn't move for the entire presentation (usually I start fidgeting at some point in anything I watch if they over-defer events).

This would have been a great story even with *half* the animation/art quality but with it .... "moving pictures" in the original sense - art that moves. This may be my R2 purchase of the year (I assume they'll dvd it) since I seriously doubt a trio of short stories of this nature will get picked up in R1.
Old 2007-03-02, 15:28   Link #214
Cal-Reflector

I just realized something: When was the last time you guys saw an anime or movie or ANYTHING where the product itself was actually BETTER than the previews?

Makoto Shinkai wins.

Well, the Animate (Asian anime cable channel) previews for Mushishi might work for this example as well, so that makes two.
Old 2007-03-02, 15:38   Link #215
Kaoru Chujo
Yuuki Aoi

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZeRoGravity View Post
...very unrealistic in the way they communicate with each other. I mean, with modern technology in communication they can easily see each other when they have days off school...
Earlier in this thread, people said that the story is set in the early 90s, when this kind of technology was not so available.
YUUKI Aoi 悠木碧. b92.03.27 (age 29). 2008 Kurenai (Murasaki). 2009 Yumeiro Pâtissière (Ichigo), Kiruminzuu (Riko), Yutori-chan (Yutori-chan). 2010 Vampire Bund (Mina Tepeş), Shiki (Sunako), Samurai Girls (Juubee), Pokémon: Black and White (Iris). 2011 Madoka Magica (Madoka), Gosick (Victorique), A-Channel (Tooru). 2012 Symphogear (Hibiki). 2014 Pilot's Love Song (Claire/Nina), Nanatsu no Taizai (Diane). 2015 Owari no Seraph (Krul Tepes), Rokka no Yuusha (Fremy). 2016 Boku no Hero Academia (Tsuyu, Froppy). 2017 Kino no Tabi (Kino). 2021 Kumo desu ga (watashi), Kaizoku Oujo (Karin), Heike Monogatari (Biwa), etc., etc. Total of 513 roles in anime and games.
Kaoru Chujo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-03-02, 16:22   Link #216
aliensporebomb

Send a message via AIM to aliensporebomb Send a message via Yahoo to aliensporebomb
A beautiful story - I was totally sucked in by the increasing nervousness and
desperation the protagonist felt as the increasingly bad weather was whittling
away at the precious time he would be able to spend with Akari - would she
be there? If she would, would she still feel the same?

Spoiler:

Now, I must comment on the art - absolutely stunning - the impressionistic
and moody lighting effects and the overall quality was just unbelievable.

Last edited by aliensporebomb; 2007-03-02 at 16:51.
aliensporebomb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-03-02, 16:36   Link #217
ZeRoGravity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaoru Chujo View Post
Earlier in this thread, people said that the story is set in the early 90s, when this kind of technology was not so available.
Thx for the confirmation. I wasn't actually too sure about the time set for this movie.

The 2nd time around I just realize something so obvious. The closer Takaki got, the longer it took him. The biggest hit was the 2hr delay in the middle of nowhere. Really adds into the helplessness Takaki was in. Also, this made me remember the quote from the first trailer of the movie "How fast must I live, to be able to see you again?"

Ah, I really want to watch the 2nd part.
Old 2007-03-03, 06:35   Link #218
MrProphet
The Commissar Vanishes

Send a message via ICQ to MrProphet
Well, the film premieres in the cinema today!

If anyone is going to see it, give us a shout and your honest opinion afterward, k? 8)
MrProphet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-03-03, 07:18   Link #219
mit7059

That was amazing, the storyline animation all of it. The only thing that bothered me was that they didn't really seem like 12/13 year olds, I can't really see kids of that age really acting like this.

More of a manga reader now than an anime watcher. Currently reading list here
mit7059 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-03-03, 15:29   Link #220
aliensporebomb

Send a message via AIM to aliensporebomb Send a message via Yahoo to aliensporebomb
They seemed more like 15/16 to me, perhaps a little older. Remember they were
sort of portrayed as weaker/frail bookwormy types so they might actually have
been older than their appearance would hint.

Tags
coming of age, drama, romance, shinkai