AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2003-11-10, 15:16   Link #1
Edo

Smile Dear Boys Discussion... GO

Just wanted to vent out, the new guy on their team, the 6th player, is cool and all, but his mole thats located in the middle of his forehead bugs me everytime.

I just want to rip it off.

/vent off

Edo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2003-11-10, 17:29   Link #2
Keitaro
*Kyuuketsuki Otaku*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edo
Just wanted to vent out, the new guy on their team, the 6th player, is cool and all, but his mole thats located in the middle of his forehead bugs me everytime.

I just want to rip it off.

/vent off

Ok..... The series ended some time ago and I really hope they make a second season and hire very talented animators who can keep up the animation quality in each and every episode.
Old 2003-11-11, 02:14   Link #3
Roots
外人、漫画訳者

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keitarou20
Ok..... The series ended some time ago and I really hope they make a second season and hire very talented animators who can keep up the animation quality in each and every episode.
Very talented animators that can get rid of the mole?

Yeah it would be nice to have a second season, especially if it was like the first 10 episodes or so before things went to hell. But I don't think the company that produces DB is in a good financial situation right now (just look at some of the later episodes), so I'm not getting my hopes up.
Roots is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2003-11-11, 03:39   Link #4
Tboz

Was the animation ever good? Hell no...

They definitely need to improve. The characters are sometimes drawn so out of proportion that it makes me wonder is it a 10 year old who's doing the work. Sometimes, the characters seem like they don't have their feet on the ground, they were like floating 10cm above it but with the leg movements as if they were walking. (get the picture?)...

Similarly the basketball moves are not drawn like anything real, the hand bouncing the ball action are lifeless and doesn't seems to be able to control the ball. The dribbling footwork is almost non-existences. It leads me to think that the production team don't play basketball as all.

And what's with the whole row of spectators all siting upright in the same posture like some statue (think the Mizuho girls team). Where are all the the cheering and the angry fans shaking their fists. Minimum they can do is at least draw something like Hajime no Ippo's spectators, they will seem so alive and really enjoying the game.

Animation close to the quality of the OP will be nice enuff. With little budget or no budget, they seriously need to do something. I really wonder how I managed to endure to the very last episode of the season. It could only be the story, nothing else...
Tboz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2003-11-11, 09:55   Link #5
Tofusensei

Send a message via AIM to Tofusensei
Did anyone else *really* wanna see Aikawa and Pony-chan get it on hardcore?

Or is that just me?

:X

-Tofu
Tofusensei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2003-11-11, 11:24   Link #6
ElvenPath
a step away from heaven

I'd rather see DB having the same animation as I'LL/CKBC.
Old 2003-11-11, 16:05   Link #7
Roots
外人、漫画訳者

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tofusensei

Or is that just me?

-Tofu
You aren't alone Tofusensei
Roots is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2003-11-12, 01:38   Link #8
Relentless
Certifiably insane

Quote:
Originally Posted by AST
I'd rather see DB having the same animation as I'LL/CKBC.
I'd rather be castrated with a blunt instrument than watching DB. The characters were all absolutely uncare-able and the author knows squat about basketball. The female coach straight out of G-Taste is the only reason take a look
Relentless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2003-11-12, 07:59   Link #9
Tboz

Hmm... I actually intended to buy the Dear Boy's manga after watching the series, anyone know if its good?
Old 2003-11-12, 09:04   Link #10
Tofusensei

Send a message via AIM to Tofusensei
I think the author's basketball knowledge was quite good. I've actually played basketball all throught high school and college (including a year on a team at a university in Japan), and the anime was all very real to life. A ton of the weird little intricacies that you saw in the anime actually happen with japanese basketball teams. And that includes yelling "Naishuu!" after every single shot that goes in. Also we had some girl managers on our team that acted just like Mai & Mu-chan!

The author would routinely refer to defensive structures like Box & 1, full-court pressure, Triangle Two, etc... And he'd talk about pick & rolls, and backboard passes, etc... I'd say the author was actually quite educated and did a great job and I would be surprised if he didn't play basketball himself.

As far as the strange basketball movement at times, I'd blame that on cheap animators who obviously have never picked up a basketball in their lives :P

Anyway, L-E & AonE are putting up batch torrents that fit on 700 meg CDs for people looking to burn the show to disk, or to check the show out for the first time ever, if you hadn't seen yet ^_^

-Tofu
Tofusensei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2003-11-12, 19:38   Link #11
Bleed Kaga
Basketball Star

I think Hiroki Yagami does indeed have good basketball knowledge, this is especially obvious in Dear Boys Act II where it describes many more types of zone defences, the difference between "street" basketball and fundamentally sound team basketball, or illustrating how some players can use their weak hand. Although I do like Slam Dunk better, it is definitely not as technical as I have no idea how a beginner like Sakuragi can drive to his left. As for a 2nd season, I'm not sure as the anime doesn't even finish the first manga series, and the 2nd series is already 14 volumes long.
Bleed Kaga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2003-11-13, 05:52   Link #12
Tboz

Hmm... looks like the manga will be a good buy then... the length will cost...

Any news about season 2 coming? I know there's a hint at ep 26... but...

Many fans are put off by the animation. If its due to budget constraints, will the few sponsers just drop the show all together? Season one doesn't look like a big hit to me. If they decided to continue, will they pump in more budget to hire better animators?

What do you all think?
Old 2003-11-13, 06:16   Link #13
Tomomi
chrno fangal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tboz
Hmm... I actually intended to buy the Dear Boy's manga after watching the series, anyone know if its good?
Yup.. It's good.

I feel that the manga is better than the anime. Anyway, the quality of the drawing in the manga is pretty high.

So go and buy it!
Tomomi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2003-11-13, 09:06   Link #14
Tboz

Really? That's good, I read a couple of odd volumes from Dear Boys Act 1 before. Tho I believe the manga will be much better, I need to get an idea of the series as a whole.

Thanks, now to plan how to rob a bank... (j/k)
Old 2003-11-14, 04:32   Link #15
Aurora
Just visiting...

Send a message via AIM to Aurora
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tofusensei

Or is that just me?

-Tofu

I also wanted this to happen

As for the manga, I have only read the first couple chapters that are available translated into english. The character designs were slightly different and Aikawa was more perverted than I expected. Once I got used to that I started to enjoy it. Now I just have to wait patiently for more translations...
Aurora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2003-11-14, 08:22   Link #16
Tomomi
chrno fangal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aurora
I also wanted this to happen

As for the manga, I have only read the first couple chapters that are available translated into english. The character designs were slightly different and Aikawa was more perverted than I expected. Once I got used to that I started to enjoy it. Now I just have to wait patiently for more translations...
Well, they did kiss in the later on chapters though...
Tomomi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2003-11-14, 09:26   Link #17
ElvenPath
a step away from heaven

Darn don't spoil us
Old 2003-12-16, 17:17   Link #18
gookstha

Send a message via AIM to gookstha
Seed

is anyone willing to seed for dear boys because their is almost no people uploading and it has been three days that i have been trying to download the series.
gookstha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-05-22, 17:39   Link #19
Misugi

Hmm... I haven't got any sure information about 2nd season, but I have heard lately from couple of people that they would make the 2nd season after they have finished the manga act 2.
Misugi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-05-24, 15:49   Link #20
White_Line

Send a message via AIM to White_Line
Wink

I was watching Dear Boys a long time ago, but for some strange reason I never finished it....I think it was my sister's problem...

Anyway, the art does get lazy on a few scenes, then I'm like... O__o; What happened to the pretty drawing? Yeah... maybe that's why we trashed it.. but that'll never be answered becuase my sister's a looney...

Was the ending good at least?
White_Line is offline   Reply With Quote