AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Support > Forum & Site Feedback

Notices

Old 2010-11-03, 01:46   Link #1
dipalina

Signature spammer (was: MAC operating system)

We have this 6 year old Mac computer with the current operating system believed to be Mac OSX 10.4 and since automatic updates have loaded, certain applications have failed to work ( such as Flashplayer, I Tunes and graphics applications ). This has caused a pop up stating that the system needs now to run OSX 10.5 or greater. Can anyone please confirm whether this operating system has to be purchased as a stand alone program or can I buy/download an upgrade to fix this?

Last edited by CrowKenobi; 2010-11-08 at 00:50. Reason: removed "signature"
dipalina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-11-03, 14:58   Link #2
GHDpro
Administrator
*Administrator

The current version of Mac OS X is 10.6 ("Snow Leopard"), it can be purchased from the Apple Store:
http://store.apple.com/us/product/MC573Z/A

There doesn't appear to be an upgrade version, but at $29 the full version is pretty cheap.

But... if your Mac is 6 years old it may not run 10.6 as it requires an Intel CPU (afaik see Apple menu -> About my Mac for CPU info).

Version 10.5 ("Leopard") will run on Macs with G4/G5 CPUs, but I'm not sure where you could buy that these days. Maybe eBay?

Also unfortunately only 10.6 is cheap - 10.5 was still the old price (~$100 or something like that).

If you still have a G3 based Mac then you're stuck -- 10.4 is the latest version that will run on such an old Mac.

Edit: moved to right forum.
GHDpro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-11-03, 19:49   Link #3
chikorita157
ひきこもりアイドル
*IT Support

From the looks of it, you can only upgrade to 10.5 since you have a PowerPC processor and Snow Leopard is Intel only. Since most recent applications like Photoshop CS5, Office 2011, AutoCad, iLife '11, Firefox 4, Opera 11 requires you to have a Intel Processor to use their software, it maybe a better idea to get the new Intel Macs. In a few years, most software will be Intel only and it cannot run on PowerPC.
Old 2010-11-07, 02:58   Link #4
aeriolewinters
Photomancy Experiments

10.6 will not work for Power PC... I hate to say it. but your Mac has hit the end of the line.
Old 2010-11-07, 03:47   Link #5
MakubeX2
うるとらぺど

.....There seem to be an serious case of spambot infestation around here. Could the admin take note ?

In anycase, I don't expect to see the OP keeping tabs on this thread.
MakubeX2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-11-08, 00:45   Link #6
sa547
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by MakubeX2 View Post
.....There seem to be an serious case of spambot infestation around here. Could the admin take note ?

In anycase, I don't expect to see the OP keeping tabs on this thread.
Yeah, and as the first post got edited, she's probably a human spammer from India:

http://www.google.com.ph/search?q=di...ient=firefox-a
http://www.jupitercolony.com/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=7171
Old 2010-11-08, 06:45   Link #7
demonix

Send a message via Yahoo to demonix
Quote:
Originally Posted by sa547 View Post
Yeah, and as the first post got edited, she's probably a human spammer from India:

http://www.google.com.ph/search?q=di...ient=firefox-a
http://www.jupitercolony.com/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=7171
Or it could be a smart bot that's trying to make it look like it is a human that is posting since stopforumspam.com shows 2 different IP addresses for that username with the second reported on the same day that this thread was posted (plus if memory serves the signature wasn't there when this thread was started which might explain the edit considering it has now been mod edited to remove the signature).
demonix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-11-08, 09:29   Link #8
GHDpro
Administrator
*Administrator

The signature was most definitely not there before, or I would have noticed it and taken care of it myself. Also the registration date is quite a while in the past, which is another reason this account wasn't recognized as a spam account (most spammers aren't that patient).

Of course what all spammers don't seem to understand is that we have a small plugin installed that will add rel="nofollow" to all user generated links. Which means that even if nobody notices the spammer they won't be able to profit from it.
GHDpro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-11-09, 08:18   Link #9
demonix

Send a message via Yahoo to demonix
Quote:
Originally Posted by GHDpro View Post
Also the registration date is quite a while in the past, which is another reason this account wasn't recognized as a spam account (most spammers aren't that patient).
It might just have been that the spammer did a mass registration but only posted with spam signatures on some of them since stopforumspam.com shows that this spammer was first spotted when the account was first registered and then seemingly vanished only to return a few weeks ago sporting a slightly different IP address.
demonix is offline   Reply With Quote